PDA

View Full Version : SMC is for Real. Great basketball game.

SWZag
01-18-2018, 06:48 PM
Before all the negativity and "opinions" come out, I want to say that that was one heck of a basketball game. SMC is for real and it will be a battle in Moraga and in the WCC tourney. Tonight's game was as good as you'll ever see in any league and any level. Great game and on to the next! 21 lead changes? That's a boat load of lead changes which means an outstanding game!! Unfortunately we had 3 too few points, but we'll regroup and press on!

Great game by Rui and it only is a glimpse of what we'll see going forward.

Go ZAGS!!!

whatazag
01-18-2018, 06:51 PM
Yep. Props to SMC, good game. I feel Few made a mistake not letting Larsen play more, I think he would have done a lot better job containing Landale in the 2nd half. Also, I understand Few wanted the 3 bigs in for D, but we needed Norvell's offense.

katman50
A good game. On this night the Zags got beat by the better team. Our boys were shooting too many threes, were careless at crunch time. No answer for Landale, etc. I can't figure out why Rui wasn't part of the offense in the second half. He had the hot hand. Disappointing loss to a better team on this night.

john montana
No question smc is good (Which once again make me wonder why Bennett won’t let his team play anyone) but this was a terrible loss. We played at their pace and let it become a possession by possession game. They out executed us and we blew a 9 point lead. Terrible loss.

Zagceo
01-18-2018, 06:53 PM
What was the difference considering it wasn’t Turnovers?

27% from 3?

23dpg
01-18-2018, 06:54 PM
Offensive execution

Saxon_zag
01-18-2018, 06:54 PM
Our offense is evolving to rely on Rui and Norvell because our upper classmen never play like upper classmen in big games. Perkins 1-9 tonight goes good with 1-7 in vs SDSU. yikes

thespywhozaggedme
01-18-2018, 06:55 PM
Thread title says it all

WallaWallaZag
01-18-2018, 06:55 PM
terrible defense...you can't let a team shoot 57% and over 60% from three and expect to win...if you're going to play landale one-on-one you shouldn't be giving up any threes.

seacatfan
01-18-2018, 06:56 PM
Couldn't keep SMC from scoring down the stretch. Landale killed them on the block and couldn't contain Hermanson from driving the lane or spotting up in the corner.

Zag_Dad
01-18-2018, 06:57 PM
Yep. Props to SMC, good game. I feel Few made a mistake not letting Larsen play more, I think he would have done a lot better job containing Landale in the 2nd half. Also, I understand Few wanted the 3 bigs in for D, but we needed Norvell's offense.

I think the mistake was letting Kispert play. We couldn’t afford to let him “find his rhythm” by shooting through the misses. Everybody else was contributing (besides Perkins) on the offensive end. Love the kid but he should have sat tonight.

NEC26
01-18-2018, 06:57 PM
Our post play isn't very good on either end really imo. Our guards are not much better. I'm actually impressed with what Few has been able to do with this team so far.

kitzbuel
01-18-2018, 06:58 PM
Or just take j3 off him because he was giving up position and leave Rui in there because his length was actually bothering Landale to pass out of the post a couple times.

Yeah....unfortunately.

seacatfan
SMC has a long history of killing teams that double in the post, they kick it out for open 3's.

Did Larsen play in the 2nd half? He might've had more success defending 1 on 1 against Landale than JWIII did.

sideshow06
You guys are all class. I hope the board wonít go negative and self-flaggelating in the next few days. Youíre definitely going dancing and it will be tough for us to win at home much less in Vegas. I think you have the raw talent advantage. We just executed tonight led by our experienced seniors. Please beat BYU twice. Peace.

BearDownZags
01-18-2018, 06:59 PM
He's right Rui played him well. You at least have to change it up on occasion. You can't run the same thing at him over and over. The second half Kispert minutes were awful though. He had no business coming back in and single handedly reversed a run.

GU69
01-18-2018, 07:00 PM
Good game but disappointing result. The SMC experience showed; we're still a growing team. I really thought that the home court would do it, but it wasn't enough. Playing in Moraga is going to be a real problem.

TexasZagFan
Kispert and a Perkins cosyus game.

Sorry, it was a team effort IMO. SMC exploited Landale-J3 mismatch nearly every time.

Hard to play at your tempo when you’re pulling the ball out of the net most of the time.

LeightonZag
This one is most definitely on Few's shoulders. Now please know before I go on I have the utmost respect for Few and think he's an amazing coach. Sometimes though you just don't bring your A game and tonight he flat out got out coached.

I actually thought the guys played well and followed the gameplay well (at least to a fans eye). There were a few glaring mistakes that really caught my eye that I thought should and will be corrected next game .

The first is the lack of zone/press. We were far superior athletically especially at the guard spot. I thought token pressure would go a long ways against stopping their offense. For one it makes them operate with less time on the shot clock. I know they don't turn it over much but token pressure is often effective getting a team out of rhythm. We had ZERO I repeat ZERO answer for Landale, a zone look couldn't have hurt.

Secondly, both Jermey Jones and Larsen have got to play more. I actually thought the player that hurt us more was Hermanson. We had no answer for him defensively. Jones would have been a much better answer plus I actually really like what he brings to the table offensively against Saint Mary's. His straight line drives could have been effective. I know Larsen struggled a bit but he at least gives us an opportunity to guard jock without a front or double. I thought few gave up on him to quickly. If he's going to be adamant leaving J3 in the game then there has to be some sort of double or quick dig or he will eat us alive over and over.

I'm not mad at all I thought the guys played hard did as they were asked, I just think we need a better gameplay and I fully expect Few to bring it next matchup. Sorry for the rant!

Zag_Dad
Nope. Disagree. It was our offense that failed us. We were in control and failed to execute on offensive end when we were in control. Bad shots and missed shots. It wasn’t Gaels defense .. it was missed shots. We make a few of those and we keep the lead

RenoZag
01-18-2018, 07:01 PM
terrible defense...you can't let a team shoot 57% and over 60% from three and expect to win...if you're going to play landale one-on-one you shouldn't be giving up any threes.

Spot on.

katman50
Love Kispert and he is going to be a great Zag, but not quite ready for prime time and games like this.

Zagceo
You guys are all class. I hope the board won’t go negative and self-flaggelating in the next few days. You’re definitely going dancing and it will be tough for us to win at home much less in Vegas. I think you have the raw talent advantage. We just executed tonight led by our experienced seniors. Please beat BYU twice. Peace.

love the competition..made us pay for minor mistakes.

katman50
01-18-2018, 07:02 PM
You guys are all class. I hope the board won’t go negative and self-flaggelating in the next few days. You’re definitely going dancing and it will be tough for us to win at home much less in Vegas. I think you have the raw talent advantage. We just executed tonight led by our experienced seniors. Please beat BYU twice. Peace.
The Gaels won, fair and square.

sideshow06
01-18-2018, 07:02 PM
Can we call it a rivalry again?? Lol.

Birddog
01-18-2018, 07:03 PM
Nope. Disagree. It was our offense that failed us. We were in control and failed to execute on offensive end when we were in control. Bad shots and missed shots. It wasn’t Gaels defense .. it was missed shots. We make a few of those and we keep the lead

For the last 20 mins i have been blaming shot selection. Of course SMC defense had something to do with some of those shots, but not all, esp when giving up the 9 pt lead.

thespywhozaggedme
01-18-2018, 07:03 PM
They lost to Wazzu and Georgia. I'll decide if they're "for real" come MM.

Nevada Don
01-18-2018, 07:04 PM

Amen, sideshow06. I loved the game and I am a Gael alum but I respect so many on the Board that I do very much feel for many, many of you.
ps You can still get to the Final Four. Don

TexasZagFan
01-18-2018, 07:05 PM
For the last 20 mins i have been blaming shot selection. Of course SMC defense had something to do with some of those shots, but not all, esp when giving up the 9 pt lead.

Gaels defense had NOTHING to do with shooting 6-22 from 3 at HOME.

Zagceo
01-18-2018, 07:06 PM

Gaels excited and executed in crunch time while Zags didn’t...on the road....Gaels deserved it

jpn17
01-18-2018, 07:07 PM
SMC played great, better than I thought they would. They deserved the win. That said when both teams play at their best I still believe that Gonzaga is better. I am really looking forward to the rematch.

TexasZagFan
01-18-2018, 07:07 PM
The Gaels won, fair and square.

Agree. Refs clearly missed Gael contact on Josh’s forearm with 6 seconds to go. Stuff happens, move on to next game.

Zag_Dad
01-18-2018, 07:08 PM
Sorry, it was a team effort IMO. SMC exploited Landale-J3 mismatch nearly every time.

Hard to play at your tempo when you’re pulling the ball out of the net most of the time.

Few always shortens the bench in league play. I really Love Kispert and his potential BUT he was just not ready for this rivalry game. He had open looks and couldn’t knock it down. Few gave him several chances and let him shoot. He missed on each opportunity. If we scored on any of those possessions, the outcome may have been different. I’m less critical of a Josh, but I’m still befuddled at his inability to score consistently. Love him. Wouldn’t bench him. Just want him to be consistent. He didn’t deliver tonight.

VinnyZag
01-18-2018, 07:09 PM
SMC played great. They are better defensively than I thought, or at least they were tonight.

Gonzaga's freshmen, especially Norvell and Kispert, got lost a few times on defense. SMC made an effort to drive those guys too. Ford, Hermanson, even Cullen Neal all took it right at those dudes.

People are going to criticize Perk, but I thought he played well ... except he shot poorly. Regression to the mean from his hot shooting earlier this year I guess. As long as he keeps taking good shots I don't have a problem with it.

But, the offense stagnated in the second half. Not sure why.

Mostly this seemed like a senior dominated team beating a much younger team. Can't wait for the rematch or rematches.

katman50
01-18-2018, 07:09 PM
SMC played great, better than I thought they would. They deserved the win. That said when both teams play at their best I still believe that Gonzaga is better. I am really looking forward to the rematch.

It's going to be very tough for the Zags in Moraga. They needed this win.

CarolinaZagFan
01-18-2018, 07:10 PM
I thought Larsen should’ve got some more time on Landale. Did Zags run a play the last 3 minutes?

Hoopaholic
Few always shortens the bench in league play. I really Love Kispert and his potential BUT he was just not ready for this rivalry game. He had open looks and couldnít knock it down. Few gave him several chances and let him shoot. He missed on each opportunity. If we scored on any of those possessions, the outcome may have been different. Iím less critical of a Josh, but Iím still befuddled at his inability to score consistently. Love him. Wouldnít bench him. Just want him to be consistent. He didnít deliver tonight.
Except kispert came out and never saw court while we had 9 point lead so the theory his missed looks doesn't hold water for me as we had good lead despite his missed looks

john montana
Pace.

GeorgiaZagFan
01-18-2018, 07:11 PM
when we had the 7-9 point lead ..we starting taking bad shots..not sure if it was their defense or the Zags offense ..but had them on the ropes with a chance to extend..and after that we made bad play after bad play...

Zagceo
01-18-2018, 07:12 PM
Larsen 4 min in first half....

Played 24 min in Nova game.....don’t get it

BearDownZags
Except kispert came out and never saw court while we had 9 point lead so the theory his missed looks doesn't hold water for me as we had good lead despite his missed looks

Their run started with the Kispert minutes and ended ours. Missed a 3 immediately, got beat off the dribble easily and fouled the guy.

Hoopaholic
At 7 minutes we changed our pace and offensive style
Moved into fixed position hi pick and roll
Defense able hold positions with no offensive movements back cuts etc

Befuddled me

Hoopaholic
01-18-2018, 07:13 PM
Their run started with the Kispert minutes and ended ours. Missed a 3 immediately, got beat off the dribble easily and fouled the guy.

Then he came out and we pushed lead back up from 5 to 9

VinnyZag
01-18-2018, 07:14 PM

He was getting stung a little on defense, I think.

adoptedzag
01-18-2018, 07:15 PM
So, why no "Hack a Jock" strategy? Good reason to have Larsen/Jones in there. Especially down the stretch.

TexasZagFan
01-18-2018, 07:16 PM
Let SMC celebrate...they snapped a 4 game losing streak against us. We can’t take anything for granted with this year’s Zag team. Just when the sentiment seemed like we were turning a corner, SMC slapped us across the face.

Good night from Texas.

Zagceo
01-18-2018, 07:17 PM
So, why no "Hack a Jock" strategy? Good reason to have Larsen/Jones in there. Especially down the stretch.

Thats what I thought Jones was put in

adoptedzag
01-18-2018, 07:20 PM
Thats what I thought Jones was put in

Same.

Also, the press could have been useful as a changeup when they were making their runs. Rui was already out there. Ah well. Hope they enjoy their day in the sun. It just justifies RB and his ass-backwards scheduling to schedule no one and hope GU has an off year. Personally, I couldn't be a fan of that.

MDABE80
01-18-2018, 07:22 PM
Out shot! Bad defense the last 10 minutes.
Try it again in a few weeks.
I do hope coaches devise a new strategy;)

Pleasant Peninsula
01-18-2018, 07:26 PM
Out shot! Bad defense the last 10 minutes.
Try it again in a few weeks.
I do hope coaches devise a new strategy;)

Few's pretty good with some time to plan. In game adjustments, not so much...

ZagHouse
01-18-2018, 07:29 PM
J3 blew his wad in the first half defensively. It was too easy in the 2nd, especially because none of the other players flashed a double. The way Jock was scoring at will, you’d think Few would have given Larsen a couple more minutes. He’s had other games where he improved and cleaned up mistakes coming back onto the floor for another go. Where’d Tillie go? He disappeared in the 2nd. No one seemed confident to take a shot, and guys left Perkins with little choice but to huck up a three at the end of the clock. Norvell needs to be more selfish. He was getting to the rim with ease in the first half and quit looking to drive until the very end of the game. J3 can be a bit of a black hole as he’s deciding whether to wait for the double or pass out of it. His indecision leads to indecision by the other four on the floor. Oh how I miss the Karnowski by the back passes to another big on the baseline or a quick look to an open shooter behind the arc. Rui’s fun though.

katman50
01-18-2018, 07:30 PM
The Gaels are a very good and sound team. A very smart team. Hate to say it, but I was impressed. We basically have the no answer for Landale. And Hermanson is very good, cagey and smart. A well coached team that could do well in the Dance.

katman50
01-18-2018, 07:31 PM
J3 blew his wad in the first half defensively. It was too easy in the 2nd, especially because none of the other players flashed a double. The way Jock was scoring at will, you’d think Few would have given Larsen a couple more minutes. He’s had other games where he improved and cleaned up mistakes coming back onto the floor for another go. Where’d Tillie go? He disappeared in the 2nd. No one seemed confident to take a shot, and guys left Perkins with little choice but to huck up a three at the end of the clock. Norvell needs to be more selfish. He was getting to the rim with ease in the first half and quit looking to drive until the very end of the game. J3 can be a bit of a black hole as he’s deciding whether to wait for the double or pass out of it. His indecision leads to indecision by the other four on the floor. Oh how I miss the Karnowski by the back passes to another big on the baseline or a quick look to an open shooter behind the arc. Rui’s fun though.

You are correct on all counts. Good post.

MDABE80
01-18-2018, 07:42 PM
Very good post indeed. But "blew his wad"? Lololololol. New one!
We go back and do it again in a few weeks. We win on their court!

zagsfanforlife
01-18-2018, 07:42 PM
Gaels were a good to great team last year... luckily we had Karno that was big enough to not let Landale catch so low. Williams, or no one else on this team, is big enough to stop Landale from establishing position. Combine that with a bunch of other upperclassmen and the zags youth, and it was clear that the Gaels are a very tough matchup for the zags this year.

ZagOD7540
01-18-2018, 07:44 PM
Love Kispert and he is going to be a great Zag, but not quite ready for prime time and games like this.

That ankle really set him back. He had some great looks, just didnít bury the shots.

JPtheBeasta
01-18-2018, 07:48 PM
For a close game, it was kind of boring. It was like watching someone close their head in the refrigerator door over and over again. A few things I would have liked to see, since nothing else wasn't working:

1) Pick up the man defense a couple feet further out from the 3-point line. They got into their offense way to easily and did pretty much whatever they wanted to do.

2) Help off somebody to double Landale. Make somebody else beat you. JW3 had a few good blocks playing straight up but that wasn't going to work all game.

3) If you are going to play Landale straight up, play Larsen.

4) Quit running offense for JW3 against Landale. The offense stagnated in the final minutes when they focused on force-feeding him the ball.

5) Run the motion at the top of the screen to get guys moving laterally. SMC is slowish and unathletic. When they were able to get set in their defense and dig in they are much better,

6) Someone else mentioned the press. That looked good. Use that more. The Zags needed to force more turnovers in the second half if they were going to let SMC be so efficient in the half court.

7) Trap Naar on the high ball screens. Get it out of his hands. Make them go to plan B on offense.

It was creative to put Rui on the PG, and I did like that. When they switched the screens it led to a little bit less of a mismatch for Landale, but in the end it still didn't work.

Turns out, the banked three was the difference in the game. Go figure.

Zags11
01-18-2018, 07:48 PM
We would of won with karno...lol.

OK seriously our 3pt D is garbage. Hot garbage. 62% from 3 is what smc came in and shot. Barf. #294 in 3pt d before this game. J3 battled but was gassed by the 2nd half. Perkins struggled offensively all game. We also had a lot of disappearing acts by our boys minus rui.

However our 3pt defense sucks.

pony
01-18-2018, 07:50 PM
Did not see this coming at home, yes SMC is a good team but at home, at home, just at home.
Great game to watch, just bias toward ZAGS. Still would put my money on the Zags at tourney time.
Probably not at SMC'S home court.

thespywhozaggedme
01-18-2018, 07:51 PM
I've noticed a tendency with many posters here regarding this years team. Many posters tend to be overly critical towards our younger players, i.e. CK and ZN, but give a free pass time and again to our seniors, i.e. Silas and JWIII. JWIII yet again, gets bogged down when he is doubled and forces a bad shot or turns it over, he's so bad at passing out of a double and in the second half he was destroyed by Landale and Few refused to help with the double team. I dunno, overall, I'm kinda disappointed in our veteran leadership this year.

JPtheBeasta
01-18-2018, 07:52 PM
The Gaels are a very good and sound team. A very smart team. Hate to say it, but I was impressed. We basically have the no answer for Landale. And Hermanson is very good, cagey and smart. A well coached team that could do well in the Dance.

That had been my primary concern going into the season. When I saw that Larsen was solid I became less worried. Then I became worried again when it was apparent that he was only trusted by the staff to play 5 minutes a game. This game was too predictable, unfortunately.

Reborn
01-18-2018, 07:53 PM
Few's pretty good with some time to plan. In game adjustments, not so much...

Few had time to plan. Lots of time.

Zagceo
01-18-2018, 07:55 PM
Good news ....WCC more likley to get 2 teams in tourney.

ZagOD7540
01-18-2018, 07:59 PM

Nailed it. Gaels had J3 figured out. When he put the ball on the floor or held on too long, they ran another guy at him.
Tillie was a non-factor. Not sure why? Landale defended J3. No one else could have matched up with Tillie. Why not isolate him on the block to get him going? He sat for a long time in the 2nd half. I agree that Norvell should take more shots. His drives to the hoop were great. He was attacking the basket. Why not run something for him to get a look from 3 at the end? Perkins was off all game and that was the best shot we could get coming out of a timeout? We needed shooters when they started helping on Rui and no one stepped up. Very disappointing.

ZagOD7540
01-18-2018, 08:01 PM

Which 2?

Zags11
01-18-2018, 08:01 PM
Plays coming out of timeouts were poor as well. I wasn't impressed in this gm.

Zagceo
01-18-2018, 08:02 PM
Which 2?

USD and BYU..

ZagOD7540
01-18-2018, 08:08 PM
USD and BYU..

Nice one!

We’ve got some work to do with one in Moraga, 2 against BYU and 2 against USD. Just a tough loss tonight. This just gives the Gaels some momentum

Skimhvn
01-18-2018, 08:15 PM
Why did Rui make -10...

JPtheBeasta
01-18-2018, 08:17 PM
Why did Rui make -10...

If you are talking about plus/minus that is weird... he kept the Zags in the game with his stellar play in the first half.

thespywhozaggedme
01-18-2018, 08:18 PM
Why did Rui make -10...

Plus minus is the most irrelevant statistic in my opinion. Just because he had a -10 when he was on the floor doesn't mean that it was him, it could've been the other players on the floor at the time he was there. I mean, he did play 30 minutes after all.

adoptedzag
01-18-2018, 08:20 PM
Why did Rui make -10...

because he played 30 minutes mostly with substitutes. He did well overall, but the teammates he had in with him were not 1st team quality and did not have good nights.

john montana
01-18-2018, 08:23 PM
At 7 minutes we changed our pace and offensive style
Moved into fixed position hi pick and roll
Defense able hold positions with no offensive movements back cuts etc

Befuddled me

This. We settled into their pace. Canít do that. We have to make it an up and down athletic game. They will put execute us if it is a possession game and we have no answer for landale.

Kiddwell
01-18-2018, 08:25 PM
(1) There's a New Sheriff in town.
(2) Randy Bennett has a really nice team with more depth than I thought and great steadiness under pressure.
(3) Two WCC teams will be in next Monday's Top-25.
(4) Crocodile Wings aren't so bad, after all.

:]

Skimhvn
01-18-2018, 08:30 PM
Before Rui was in, Zags ran very good.
Rui seemed to do good defense, but team defense got bad.
I believe that was just accidental...

jpn17
01-18-2018, 08:43 PM
It's going to be very tough for the Zags in Moraga. They needed this win.

Agreed it will be very tough, but that's always the case. This team is good enough to beat Saint Mary's at their place. But they need to play smarter than they did tonight. I am looking forward to it. I think they will be up to the challenge.

Ezag
01-18-2018, 08:45 PM
Playing a bunch of bottom dwellers for 4 games in a row doesn't prep you for the cream of the league top

Goshzagit
01-18-2018, 08:47 PM
Props to Gaels for a huge win. Season changing. They could go 3-0 against if we continue with the stubborn play, lack of adjustments, and playing into their hands.

Where was the "wide open" play? Transition? Press? Speed them up? Make them defend in open floor?

We missed shots, but didn't play poorly. Game plan was awful.

Hope we learn from it. Play Larsen more, and why tighten up the rotation so much? Kispert played 5 mins too many. He was stumbling on defense, and missed everything. Perkins couldn't hit the ocean tonight, but it happens.

I feel the overall game plan was pitiful and lacked confidence, or strategy.

This could become a repeat of 2015-2016 all over again.

GoZags
01-18-2018, 08:48 PM
Zags plummeted all the way down to #8 on KenPom after the loss.

RenoZag
01-18-2018, 08:58 PM

Quit trying to cheer us up. . .

Zagceo
01-18-2018, 09:00 PM

tell that to the kids that camped out last night... ha ha ha

Zags11
01-18-2018, 09:03 PM
tell that to the kids that camped out last night... ha ha ha

Is that why the KC was so bad? D- on their effort. Last 3 minutes of game and half of them were mute.

roxdoc
01-18-2018, 09:18 PM
Bad game plan two games in a row. Lots of coulda-shouda-wouda to point out but by far the simple answer: make 7 out of 22 3's and the game is tied - just two made shots, easily within our season average, and we win.

ZagHouse
01-18-2018, 09:21 PM
One thing this team needs that we had last year is a guard who can create inside the arc. Nigel could post up smaller guards and create space almost at will against WCC competition. Josh has a great shot and can hit the occasional lay-up, but he doesn’t have a floater or the ability to pull up in the lane and doesn’t seem to have the upper body strength or coordination in traffic. It’s weird. Zach could do this if they’d let him and he’s young, so maybe he doesn’t have the confidence yet. Kispert could do this as well, but it seems like the coaches want him in stroking the 3. He also needs to get out of his own head. I think his defensive lapses are hurting his confidence more than a lingering ankle injury. Rui needs to be content to rise up and take the mid range jumper and not think he has to drive to the rim every time. Last...J3 needs a jumper.

seacatfan
01-18-2018, 09:30 PM

Not necessarily. This could be like 2 years ago, whoever wins in Vegas goes Dancing and the runner up stays home.

seacatfan
01-18-2018, 09:32 PM
Tillie was a non-factor. Not sure why? Landale defended J3. No one else could have matched up with Tillie. Why not isolate him on the block to get him going?

He was active and got off to a good start at the beginning of the game, then pretty much disappeared.

Mantua
01-18-2018, 09:38 PM
I was glad to see Norvell make attempts to be aggressive. The ball seemed to be in the wrong spot on offense for most of the game.

All Weather Fan
01-18-2018, 09:38 PM
Agree with Seacatfan. May very well come down to Vegas now. Especially should Zags slip up against BYU or USD along the way. Margin for error much slimmer after tonight. Regroup & run the table !

Zagceo
01-18-2018, 09:42 PM
Not necessarily. This could be like 2 years ago, whoever wins in Vegas goes Dancing and the runner up stays home.

would be less likley if Zags beat SMC 3 times....if we split and beat all others...more likely IMO

CDC84
01-19-2018, 12:37 AM
It's hard to imagine a team ranked at #8 at kenpom.com having any real concerns about getting into the dance. Especially with the way Ohio State has been playing, They have the easiest path of any Big 10 team to winning their regular season title. GU destroyed them. Creighton is holding up nicely - especially if they can start winning some away games. And GU crushed them. Texas has enough talent to knock off any one in the Big 12 - especially at home. Gonzaga has been in way, way worse circumstances before.

I still maintain that bad losses hurt you when it comes to getting into the dance more than anything else. History shows it. It's teams who screw up and lose to the cellar dwellers in their leagues who miss out. St. Mary's, Florida (both very close losses) and a loss across the country to a national title contender (and a game, in retrospect, that shouldn't have been scheduled - too many games in too short of a period) is nothing to feel bad about. As I always say, you have to do a lot of stupid things to miss the NCAA tournament.

Seeding, however, is a different deal. Obviously, GU has got to figure out a way to beat the Gaels at least once. If they lose to them 3x it could really hurt and give them little margin for error. But it's really avoiding a possible loss to a team like San Diego that could hurt the team. In fact, USD has the capability of knocking off SMC at the Slim Gym.

bigblahla
01-19-2018, 04:18 AM
The Best TEAM won...not the team with the best players....Narr is a floor general....the Zags have none at this time....and that is pathetic....there is more to this game that statistics....The Gaels played solid "D" that I did not think them capable of ....WTF the Zags were playing wasn't solid "D" at all....My question now is are we going to be leaderless on the floor next year as well or will Norvell step up, speak up and lead the TEAM? Can't win big games without a floor general and there is no upper class leadership that I can see on the floor...

Congrats to coach Bennett and his team.....after seeing our back court disappear once more it is doubtful the Zags can win in Moraga and most likely will need to win the WCC tournament to reach the NCAA tournament.

Just my opinion....

Go!! Zags!!!

WallaWallaZag
01-19-2018, 04:25 AM
The Best TEAM won...not the team with the best players....Narr is a floor general....the Zags have none at this time....and that is pathetic....there is more to this game that statistics....The Gaels played solid "D" that I did not think them capable of ....WTF the Zags were playing wasn't solid "D" at all....My question now is are we going to be leaderless on the floor next year as well or will Norvell step up, speak up and lead the TEAM? Can't win big games without a floor general and there is no upper class leadership that I can see on the floor...

Congrats to coach Bennett and his team.....after seeing our back court disappear once more it is doubtful the Zags can win in Moraga and most likely will need to win the WCC tournament to reach the NCAA tournament.

zags should be fine with 3 losses or less moving forward...the ohio state, creighton, and texas wins should hold enough weight in a very mediocre ncaa year overall...there's not a lot of good teams out there.

kyle dixon
01-19-2018, 04:50 AM
I could not believe how well SMC spaced the floor. Kudos to their supporting cast of Ford and Krebs who played well. Krebs although undersized played good defense and hit some big threes. Ford got in the lane and finished. That is a good team and well coached. Round 2 will be epic as well as the teams are very evenly matched.

vandalzag
01-19-2018, 05:36 AM
SMC played very good. Zags played good. Zags let them get way too comfortable on offense. I would like to see more press and mix in some zone just to shake things up. It was fun to watch. I do not think SMC can play better than they did last night, I do think the Zags can. Will be fun in a couple of weeks on their floor.

Zag_Dad
01-19-2018, 05:37 AM
SMC shot 56.6 from field and 61.5 from three. This is above their season average and was not due to poor defense. Not taking anything away from the Gaels and their victory but I doubt that hot shooting can repeat against GU even on their own court. They needed every one of those shots to fall to beat us.

Zags shot 27.3 from beyond the arc. Again....a fact that is not likely to be repeated.

GO ZAGS

Zagcity
01-19-2018, 06:05 AM
SMC shot 56.6 from field and 61.5 from three. This is above their season average and was not due to poor defense. Not taking anything away from the Gaels and their victory but I doubt that hot shooting can repeat against GU even on their own court. They needed every one of those shots to fall to beat us.

Zags shot 27.3 from beyond the arc. Again....a fact that is not likely to be repeated.

GO ZAGS

It took that kinda performance from the Gaels to allow a non blow by night from Mr. Bennett ;)

Saxon_zag
01-19-2018, 06:08 AM
SMC shot 56.6 from field and 61.5 from three. This is above their season average and was not due to poor defense.

This is just false. When you refuse to double the post and let them shoot 60% from 3 you were letting people get way to comfortable all over the floor...

SWZag
01-19-2018, 06:14 AM
It's hard to imagine a team ranked at #8 at kenpom.com having any real concerns about getting into the dance. Especially with the way Ohio State has been playing, They have the easiest path of any Big 10 team to winning their regular season title. GU destroyed them. Creighton is holding up nicely - especially if they can start winning some away games. And GU crushed them. Texas has enough talent to knock off any one in the Big 12 - especially at home. Gonzaga has been in way, way worse circumstances before.

I still maintain that bad losses hurt you when it comes to getting into the dance more than anything else. History shows it. It's teams who screw up and lose to the cellar dwellers in their leagues who miss out. St. Mary's, Florida (both very close losses) and a loss across the country to a national title contender (and a game, in retrospect, that shouldn't have been scheduled - too many games in too short of a period) is nothing to feel bad about. As I always say, you have to do a lot of stupid things to miss the NCAA tournament.

Seeding, however, is a different deal. Obviously, GU has got to figure out a way to beat the Gaels at least once. If they lose to them 3x it could really hurt and give them little margin for error. But it's really avoiding a possible loss to a team like San Diego that could hurt the team. In fact, USD has the capability of knocking off SMC at the Slim Gym.

This.

Zagnificent
01-19-2018, 06:16 AM
Larsen 4 min in first half....

Played 24 min in Nova game.....donít get it

Tillie and JW3 had foul trouble against NOVA.

SWZag
01-19-2018, 06:21 AM
I think people here underestimated how good SMC is and was expected to be, or have a blind bias towards GU, without seeing reality. Prior to the season, every coach (minus Bennett, obviously) in the WCC voted and said SMC would be the first place team in the league. Did everybody expect the coaches to be clueless? And so far, the coaches are right. GU was expected to be the underdog for first place in the league, and it's proving to be that way. I expect things to change course over the rest of the season, but as of right now, not sure why everyone thinks the sky is falling and pointing fingers at anyone they can, which is immature.

Bogozags
01-19-2018, 07:10 AM
Few always shortens the bench in league play. I really Love Kispert and his potential BUT he was just not ready for this rivalry game. He had open looks and couldn’t knock it down. Few gave him several chances and let him shoot. He missed on each opportunity. If we scored on any of those possessions, the outcome may have been different. I’m less critical of a Josh, but I’m still befuddled at his inability to score consistently. Love him. Wouldn’t bench him. Just want him to be consistent. He didn’t deliver tonight.

Let me state up front that the better team won last evening...the Zags just didn't execute on offence or defence...SMC did execute on both sides of the floor.

That being said, Cory Kispert did not cause us to lose this game...it was a team effort...each and everyone of his shots were open and good attempts, they just didn't fall. SMC only had 13 attempts from three BUT they hit EIGHT of those 13...we had open three's too but they just didn't fall.

One of the mistakes I saw was the way SMC used the mis-match of Hermanson being guarded by Silas...I believe he had five layups and believe Silas was the defender of three of those...also, our guards were quicker than theirs and when we had the mis-match of Zach being guarded by Naar, he scored each time by driving to the hoop...I think we didn't capitalize on that match-up...sure Josh had another poor scoring night but he had 7 assists with just one TO...Another positive was that after Naar scored on lay-ups twice on pick-n-rolls, he was stopped from scoring again but we just couldn't contain Landale!!!

Jock was the difference and he has fantastic footwork and shoots effectively with either hand! I have only seen one center this year that has his skills and that is Marvin Bagley III, who just happens to be a freshman.

Unless we find a way to neutralize Jock it will be difficult for us to over come the Gale's home court advantage, unless we have a tremendous shooting night.

I have watch the Gails play several times this year and thought that they can compete but SMC needs more than just Jock and Naar to compete in the Dance. As their two losses to mediocre UGA and WSU teams that they will be challenged. Not having PK or Collins sure shows how much our post defence is lacking this year.

Zag_Dad
01-19-2018, 07:12 AM
This is just false. When you refuse to double the post and let them shoot 60% from 3 you were letting people get way to comfortable all over the floor...

Well, I'll re-watch the game later but I don't think ALL their shots from outside were uncontested. Zags didn't double Jock (much) but seemed to contain him as much as you might expect. He didn't go off for 40 like some predicted. In my mind, it was an effective game plan since Landale is their bread and butter guy and our athletic front court slowed him down. You can usually count on giving up some threes (whether contested or uncontested) but they are obviously lower percentage shots. The decision not to double the post was a game strategy decision and I personally don't think it was a bad one. Game strategy was to let Jock have his points (slow him down as much as possible) and defend the perimeter. We failed at the latter. Almost worked. A banked three by Ford was the difference in the game. (I didn't hear him call "glass")

SunDevilGolfZag
01-19-2018, 07:13 AM
SMC looks like the best team in the West right now. Other teams like Arizona (and us) have more physical talent but SMC is the best oiled "team" I see out West. Hopefully the media and pollsters can pick up on that.

Reborn
01-19-2018, 07:24 AM
Well, I'll re-watch the game later but I don't think ALL their shots from outside were uncontested. Zags didn't double Jock (much) but seemed to contain him as much as you might expect. He didn't go off for 40 like some predicted. In my mind, it was an effective game plan since Landale is their bread and butter guy and our athletic front court slowed him down. You can usually count on giving up some threes (whether contested or uncontested) but they are obviously lower percentage shots. The decision not to double the post was a game strategy decision and I personally don't think it was a bad one. Game strategy was to let Jock have his points (slow him down as much as possible) and defend the perimeter. We failed at the latter. Almost worked. A banked three by Ford was the difference in the game. (I didn't hear him call "glass")

Winning games like this one is all about getting stops on defense at the end of the game. That's how you win championship games. Landale scored 12 points in the last four minutes, and went 3 for 3 in the last 2 minutes. Gonzaga had NO STOPS in the last 3 or 4 minutes. All of this was because we did not double. And yet you say the plan on defense to not double was wise? mmmmm

katman50
01-19-2018, 07:29 AM
SMC looks like the best team in the West right now. Other teams like Arizona (and us) have more physical talent but SMC is the best oiled "team" I see out West. Hopefully the media and pollsters can pick up on that.
Too true, IMO.

Zagceo
01-19-2018, 07:46 AM
Larsen could have been used for his fouls alone....Landale was 2-6 from the line...on 12-16 from the field..

Zag_Dad
01-19-2018, 07:57 AM
Winning games like this one is all about getting stops on defense at the end of the game. That's how you win championship games. Landale scored 12 points in the last four minutes, and went 3 for 3 in the last 2 minutes. Gonzaga had NO STOPS in the last 3 or 4 minutes. All of this was because we did not double. And yet you say the plan on defense to not double was wise? mmmmm

If ONE more of our shots fell or ONE of theirs didn't we would all be praising the plan. Doubling the post leaves their shooters open. A three is worth more than a two... we risk getting in foul trouble... I dunno. We lost. They shot the lights out.... we didn't. Looking forward to the rematch in Moraga.

hooter73
01-19-2018, 08:06 AM
Sorry guys, but SMC is not that good. I could easily see them not making the NCAAs this year if we can get our crap together and win out, and if they drop another game to say San Diego, San Fran or BYU. They are a good team, and a simple team, but they play no one, and ranking aside, that includes us last night.

We are dying without a general to lead the team. The upperclassmen are "streaky" for lack of a better word. Silas and Williams just aren't cutting it and Tillie is uninterested at this point. It might not have been the right time for Kispert to need to shoot to get hot but he is the player we need. I dont like Norvells volume approach but he has the cohones to take it to a team. Larsen is not high level yet but has shown that he can make a dang difference in a game. Jones, for his outright lack of offense, is the PERFECT match up against Hermanson, and Rui is only getting better and better. So when the second half comes around we yet again dont see any adjustments other than taking away the guys that were playing well in the first half, like Rui, and never see time from the others. Its baffling. So yeah, trying to keep in mind that the coaches know what they are doing way better than some internet basketball fans, I put almost this entire year on the one year out National Coach of the Year, and the crap conference we play in that does nothing to expose anything needed to be addressed with the team night in and night out until we play that one decent team. SMC is good, but they arent that good.

ZagzKrak
01-19-2018, 08:30 AM
JW3 has got to start making quicker decisions when he gets the ball in the post....he can't continue with the 25 head/ball fakes then toss the ball out to the guards with almost no time left on the shot clock forcing them to take bad 3 pt shots. I'll cut our guards some slack for the low shooting % from 3 last night....at least half of JP's miss's were last second heaves after getting the ball with no time left. C'mon JW3...catch the ball and make your move or pass out!!!

hooter73
01-19-2018, 09:20 AM
Or bench him casue he cant figure it out but we know thats not going to happen.

TexasZagFan
01-19-2018, 09:27 AM
Or bench him casue he cant figure it out but we know thats not going to happen.

Hooter, that card's already been played once. The results were good for a couple of games, but old habits die hard.

former1dog
01-19-2018, 09:31 AM
Before all the negativity and "opinions" come out, I want to say that that was one heck of a basketball game. SMC is for real and it will be a battle in Moraga and in the WCC tourney. Tonight's game was as good as you'll ever see in any league and any level. Great game and on to the next! 21 lead changes? That's a boat load of lead changes which means an outstanding game!! Unfortunately we had 3 too few points, but we'll regroup and press on!

Great game by Rui and it only is a glimpse of what we'll see going forward.

Go ZAGS!!!

I agree. SMC has a very good team. Hermanson has taken his game to the next level, which makes the rest of his team much better. Dribble penetration creates such a problem when you have such good shooters waiting for the kick outs and you have a back to the basket big who can't be stopped one on one who is also a willing and skilled passer. Remind you of any team in the recent past?

TexasZagFan
01-19-2018, 10:00 AM
Damn, I didn't realize their big 3 are all juniors. They could really make a splash next year if Bennett improved their scheduling.

Zags11
01-19-2018, 10:04 AM
Damn, I didn't realize their big 3 are all juniors. They could really make a splash next year if Bennett improved their scheduling.

Dang.

TexasZagFan
01-19-2018, 10:06 AM

ETA: ESPN's roster is incorrect. I checked a couple others and Landale and Hermanson are both seniors.

TexasZagFan
01-19-2018, 10:16 AM

They're certainly among the most experienced. After double checking their roster, their Big 3 of Naar, Hermanson, and Landale are all seniors.

Gaels fans need to enjoy the rest of their journey this year. This is their year to make a run in March, no matter how things play out against the Zags the rest of the year.

I simply don't see how SMC will field nearly as good a team next year. Replacing the core of your team, these 3 seniors, isn't like reloading.

Zagceo
01-19-2018, 10:20 AM
Landale averages 32 min a game..last night was 37

I like Landale and I'd like to see him win Kareem Award...just hope he doesn't hit a wall with all his minutes down the stretch.

zags led for 24 min SMC 7 min and tied for 7

zags largest lead 9 16 min remaining

SMC largest lead was 3 with 15 sec to play

john montana
01-19-2018, 10:47 AM
Zero chance Bennett improves their schedule. He has had several teams that looked like they would be really good (including this one) and he has proven he has no interest in playing tougher competition.

TexasZagFan
01-19-2018, 11:03 AM
Zero chance Bennett improves their schedule. He has had several teams that looked like they would be really good (including this one) and he has proven he has no interest in playing tougher competition.

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/250x250/67050017/thats-a-fact-jack.jpg

U Zig, I Zag
01-19-2018, 11:15 AM
It was a good game. Solid execution. All things being equal, our 3pt shot % did us in. At home we should be hitting a better %.

Oddly, if we beat them two more times we just gave ourselves two better wins! ;)

My takeaways:

Jock is solid, very consistent. Not playing Larsen on him was a mistake. Zag bigs have taken a rakin' and a beating from teams in the WCC FOR YEARS. Few should have had Larsen play Landale with some over the top physicality at times, see if you could throw him off.

Love JW3, but he forces it so often. He needs to play the 4. His game comes in motion and cleanups and big to big passing.

Kispert needs to use his wide body and go at the rim and get going that way. Put the 3 in the holster for now.

Perkins seems disinterested. He needs to be able to penetrate and get a floater at the rim. Why are we not running plays to pop guys free in the corners?

Zags should have randomly did fullcourt and 3/4 court presses throughout the game. Springing it on them last second does nothing, it's not a 'surprise'.

Rui is special.

maynard g krebs
01-19-2018, 02:58 PM

That was a long time ago, when they were adjusting/learning to compensate for the losses of Rahon and Pineau. They're a different team now than in Nov.

Krebs and Ford are major contributors now, and their defense has solidified. I'd bet the house that they beat the Cougs by 20 on a neutral court today.

As far as MM, it's a matchup-dependent crapshoot, but you know that.

maynard g krebs
01-19-2018, 03:10 PM
Amen, sideshow06. I loved the game and I am a Gael alum but I respect so many on the Board that I do very much feel for many, many of you.
ps You can still get to the Final Four. Don

I for one don't feel too bad about this loss. Experience showed last night, and SMC executed down the stretch. Nothing but props for the Gaels.

This is sort of a bridge year for the Zags imo; lots of inexperience. I thought you guys would miss Rahon and to a lesser extent Pineau more, and you seemed to early, but now you guys are on a roll, and I hope it continues w/ the exception of the other 2 games v the Zags of course.

Your 3 senior stars are terrific. Congrats.

Reborn
01-19-2018, 04:44 PM
I agree. SMC has a very good team. Hermanson has taken his game to the next level, which makes the rest of his team much better. Dribble penetration creates such a problem when you have such good shooters waiting for the kick outs and you have a back to the basket big who can't be stopped one on one who is also a willing and skilled passer. Remind you of any team in the recent past?

I hope that the next time that we play St Mary's that the coaching staff will realize that Hermanson goes to his right most times when he's on the wing. Every time he beat Melson he drove to his right.

WallaWallaZag
01-19-2018, 08:41 PM
Perkins seems disinterested. He needs to be able to penetrate and get a floater at the rim. Why are we not running plays to pop guys free in the corners?

zags actually do, especially on out of bounds plays...they're just not knocking them down consistently enough. melson missed a wide open corner three in transition off a perkins drive that might have kept momentum going for the zags. perkins missed one a few minutes later off a similar drive from tillie, though it was a bad pass that made the shot more difficult. another couple minutes and perkins drove the lane to the other side and kicked to an open kispert who missed.

JPtheBeasta
01-20-2018, 06:28 AM
I hope that the next time that we play St Mary's that the coaching staff will realize that Hermanson goes to his right most times when he's on the wing. Every time he beat Melson he drove to his right.

Hermanson has disappeared in a lot of the games we’ve played them, if memory serves. I think I heard that he wanted to be a Zag during one of the broadcasts. If so, it probably felt really good to play so well the other night.

I suspect that the staff will break out all the stops the next time these two teams meet. That’s my hope, anyway. You probably want to give them different looks each time you play them. The home game is the one to be the most vanilla because of the extra advantage you get. I hope the next game we see some crazy Ben and Jerry’s stuff.

zagfan1
01-20-2018, 01:47 PM
Overall I am hoping for better team defense and a killer instinct by the Zags. We need a leader on the court that can right the ship when adversity hits.

Zagceo
01-22-2018, 11:08 AM
Not 1 person mentioned the last play call by Few

Its not the reason we lost...its just a topic to discuss.

what play would you like to see in the future facing same team same scenario?

Hoopaholic
01-22-2018, 01:11 PM

less than 5 seconds and needed a three ball...not whole lot you can run put the ball in the hands of the one you want to take the three ball and by percentages that is Perkins right now

would have been interesting if they had called the tap to Perkins wrist.......but oh well life goes on

Zagceo
01-22-2018, 01:56 PM
less than 5 seconds and needed a three ball...not whole lot you can run put the ball in the hands of the one you want to take the three ball and by percentages that is Perkins right now

would have been interesting if they had called the tap to Perkins wrist.......but oh well life goes on

12.5 sec when the ball was inbounded following a GU time out.

Coaches drew up high screen for Perkins by Williams and a screen by Rui that let Norvell drift to the corner..

SWZag
01-22-2018, 02:03 PM

I'd like to see what you would have drawn up. Wonder if you could post a drawing of it? Maybe it can be forwarded to Few?

Zagceo
01-22-2018, 02:23 PM
I'd like to see what you would have drawn up. Wonder if you could post a drawing of it? Maybe it can be forwarded to Few?

maybe a double screen catch and shoot for Perkins so he wouldn't end up having Landale challenge his shot....

lighten up...its a basketball forum. :lmao:

cbbfanatic
01-22-2018, 04:52 PM

Not sure I agree, but that it's even something to be entertained is a sad state of affairs for west coast basketball

TexasZagFan
01-22-2018, 05:00 PM

I just sent this to Coach Few. Don't know what it means, but I usually don't drink 2-3 beers on a Monday night.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/66/6c/af/666cafd5c02c9e62aec0e276cdd20325.jpg

Diagram A really sucked.

:lmao:

Nevada Don
01-22-2018, 07:44 PM
SMC game sold out.

http://www.smcgaels.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/012218aac.html

Zagceo
01-22-2018, 07:59 PM
SMC game sold out.

http://www.smcgaels.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/012218aac.html

good seats still available

https://www.stubhub.com/st-marys-gaels-basketball-tickets-st-marys-gaels-basketball-moraga-mckeon-pavilion-2-10-2018/event/103216056/?sort=quality+desc&byo=1&tktbkt=1&ticket_id=1296001790&ticketRank=1&byo_qty=2

kyle dixon
01-22-2018, 08:32 PM
congrats on the sell out. Make sure to wear your Beat the Zags tshirt with your sign stating some derogatory of Spokane. Because that never happens:)

TexasZagFan
01-22-2018, 09:55 PM
What is SMC's consecutive sellout streak?

ETA: Based on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017–18_Saint_Mary%27s_Gaels_men%27s_basketball_te am , the streak will be back to 1 when the Zags visit Moraga.

Nevada Don
01-23-2018, 08:38 AM

ETA: Based on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017–18_Saint_Mary%27s_Gaels_men%27s_basketball_te am , the streak will be back to 1 when the Zags visit Moraga.

Jeez, I was just trying to let you guys know that technically the game was sold out because seemingly sometimes you are looking for tickets.

SWZag
01-23-2018, 10:07 AM

Jeez, I was just trying to let you guys know that technically the game was sold out because seemingly sometimes you are looking for tickets.

Thanks Don. Appreciate the post. Do you think the crowd will go above capacity this year? Will hopefully be a game against two Top 25 teams!

Zagceo
01-23-2018, 10:41 AM

streak begins ...SMC tied with Florida...

http://collegepollarchive.com/mbasketball/ap/appearance-streaks-weeks.cfm#.WmeOTSOZMck

sittingon50
01-23-2018, 10:42 AM
I just sent this to Coach Few. Don't know what it means, but I usually don't drink 2-3 beers on a Monday night.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/66/6c/af/666cafd5c02c9e62aec0e276cdd20325.jpg

Diagram A really sucked.

:lmao:

Diagram A may have sucked TZF, but I think Ezekiel Elliot just scored a touchdown on your backup plan!

Nevada Don
01-23-2018, 10:43 AM
Thanks Don. Appreciate the post. Do you think the crowd will go above capacity this year? Will hopefully be a game against two Top 25 teams!

I don't know about going above capacity. I could find out the truth to this issue. I will say that the Town of Moraga is VERY ACTIVE in all things Saint Mary's. IMO they would never allow anything to jeopardize lives. We only need to look to Oakland, a few miles to the West, for examples of people dying due to over capacity, lax oversight, etc. I don't doubt that the GU game will always be SRO. I do know that no official in local government or in the college administration would ever knowingly jeopardize safety.

MDABE80
01-23-2018, 11:17 AM
With the losses last night and over the weekend, It's imperative that we win in Moraga. A very fine town. It's usually this time of the year when teams ahead of us begin losing. We need to move up in rank and seedings. Sorry Don.

Zagceo
01-24-2018, 07:48 AM
Bilas spreading some WCC love

Saint Mary's Gaels (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/2608/saint-mary's-gaels): The Gaels are 19-2, with the only losses in Los Angeles early in the season to Georgia and Washington State. Saint Mary's is older and can shoot it; it is among the best offensive teams in the country. Jock Landale (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/3146557/jock-landale) is one of the best big men in the country, and Calvin Hermanson (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/66473/calvin-hermanson), Tanner Krebs (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/3936192/tanner-krebs) and Jordan Ford (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4066736/jordan-ford) all stretch the floor and all shoot better than 42 percent from deep. Saint Mary's looked far more confident and capable in its win over Gonzaga in Spokane than it did last year in its home loss.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22197099/jay-bilas-best-things-seen-volume-2

SWZag
01-25-2018, 06:38 AM
Bilas spreading some WCC love

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22197099/jay-bilas-best-things-seen-volume-2

Good to see. It seems like "power" schools always get an * on their schedule for "bad losses" in November as if things are so different now, but not the "non-power" schools.