PDA

View Full Version : Keep an Eye on Zags’ OOC Opponents, and Root for Them.

TravelinZag
01-18-2018, 08:33 AM
From a Zag perspective, they did well. On selection Sunday, would be helpful if our record against too 50 teams could be no worse than 6-4. Texas, Creighton, Ohio State, Washington, Villanova, Florida, and even San Diego State could be top 50, along with St Mary’s from the WCC. Several could be top 30.

Zags need something to offset the abysmal scheduling of Howard and Incarnant Word, plus the usual woeful (and willful) refusal of the bottom half of the WCC to field respectfully competitive teams. A good seed improves the Zags prospects in the dance, and provides the local fans with a close and cheaper site for the first two games.

So, root for these teams to win out, except for the Gaels when they play GU.

Go Zags! Get yourselves the best possible path thru the NCAAs, and the fans a trip to Boise (second prize is an extra week there, unless you’re visiting family or moving on to Sun Valley).

gueastcoast
01-18-2018, 11:15 AM
I've asked it before and will ask it again: WHY do we schedule teams like Howard and Incarnate Word? If we need cupcakes, we've got a few of 'em closer to home.

Zagceo
01-18-2018, 11:38 AM
I've asked it before and will ask it again: WHY do we schedule teams like Howard and Incarnate Word? If we need cupcakes, we've got a few of 'em closer to home.

local cupcakes may have the same RPI as Texas made but taste worst if ya don't win. Traveling cupcakes also take on Washington Generals mentality ....nothing personal just business

adoptedzag
01-18-2018, 11:43 AM

Sometimes it's tangential to the program. Doing a favor for a friend, etc. I do agree however, in a vacuum, I'd rather the zags play WSU, Whitworth, EWU, etc.

RenoZag
01-18-2018, 01:11 PM
Creighton forward Martin Krampelj will miss the rest of the season with a major knee injury.

The school says Krampelj tore the ACL in his left knee during the Bluejays' game against No. 19 Seton Hall on Wednesday night.

The sophomore from Slovenia started all 19 games and averages 11.9 points and 8.1 rebounds per game. His 67.1 percent shooting ranks among the national leaders.

Coach Greg McDermott said Krampelj was one of the most improved players in the Big East and that he looks forward to him returning next season.

gueastcoast
01-18-2018, 01:44 PM
local cupcakes may have the same RPI as Texas made but taste worst if ya don't win. Traveling cupcakes also take on Washington Generals mentality ....nothing personal just business

Fair points. In order of preference I'd have us a) play no sub-300 RPI cupcakes, b) play (at least a few) local sub-300 RPIs if we must, c) play out-of-area sub-300 RPI schools.

With the expansion of the WCC and its issue with its bottom-dwellers we just don't have much margin for error in our schedule.

DixieZag
01-18-2018, 01:46 PM
Texas lost a very close game in 2OT last week against TCU, a game that might've started them rising toward the polls, was cheering hard for them.

Ohio State perhaps the biggest surprise.

Mantua
01-18-2018, 02:47 PM
Biggest disappointment = Florida State

MDABE80
01-18-2018, 03:05 PM
As many of those teams ahead of us in the polls lost, we need a win over
SMC to move up! I think we can win this. Go Zags!
Sorry for Creighton this is the second straight
Yearnthe Jays
Lost a key player! 19-0 when their PG had his season stopped due to charges. As it turned out, it was bogus!