PDA

View Full Version : It's Game Day, the best day of the week. GU vs St Mary's

Reborn
01-18-2018, 05:48 AM
Good Morning Zag fans. I've been waiting for this day for a long time. As Zag fans we are ready for this one. This is one nobody wants to miss. The campers will be racing with all their might to get the seats possible. They WILL BE ready. The team HAS BEEN ready for a long time. This game will bring out the best in our Zags. The game will be televised by ESPN at 6pm. All of America will see the game. We're on the Big Stage tonight.

The lights will be bright. The students will be stomping their feet on bleachers making that Zag sound fill the air. The Kennel Club will be ready. Ready to stomp, ready to cheer, ready to intimidate like no one else can.

There has been some doubt here and there about our team. That doubt will be erased tonight. There has been criticism, some rightly so, and tonight fans will see that the Zags have improved. A LOT. In a game like this one everything comes together. Some folks will be amazed by how good this team IS.

This one is a fight for the first leg of the championship. It's a fight for first place in conference play. Both sides will be fighting with all they have. That's what I like to watch. THE FIGHT. I want to see the fight in the bulldog. We can shoot, we can pass and rebound. I enjoy all of the wonderful skills the Zags display every time they play. But tonight is different. The steaks are higher. I hope to see the FIGHT in the bulldog. And we will. This is not preseason play, nor Out of Conference play. This is Gonzaga vs St Mary's for first place in conference play. Simply put, this is the Zags vs the Gaels....It's a heavyweight fight.

To top it off I'll be celebrating the birthdays of both of my sons. Their birthdays are just four days apart (17th and 21st), and we always celebrate them on the same day, usually a Saturday. But this year we're celebrating them tonight. A Zag victory makes this a perfect day.

Go Zags!!!

GonzagasaurusFlex
01-18-2018, 06:02 AM
Very excited for tonightís game. These Zags need to step up and prove to themselves they can win the big game. They are 0-2 in their biggest games so far this season: PK80 semis & Villanova.

Letís go Zags. Rise to the occasion and beat the Gaels!!

Reborn
01-18-2018, 06:09 AM
Did you forget about Creighton? That was a huge game imo. Creighton is ranked higher than both Florida and St Mary's. And I think that we beat Creighton convincingly, and believe the Zags will do the same to St Mary's tonight. This team is better than some think. IMO

TexasZagFan
01-18-2018, 06:33 AM
Good Morning Zag fans. I've been waiting for this day for a long time. As Zag fans we are ready for this one. This is one nobody wants to miss. The campers will be racing with all their might to get the seats possible. They WILL BE ready. The team HAS BEEN ready for a long time. This game will bring out the best in our Zags. The game will be televised by ESPN at 6pm. All of America will see the game. We're on the Big Stage tonight.

The lights will be bright. The students will be stomping their feet on bleachers making that Zag sound fill the air. The Kennel Club will be ready. Ready to stomp, ready to cheer, ready to intimidate like no one else can.

There has been some doubt here and there about our team. That doubt will be erased tonight. There has been criticism, some rightly so, and tonight fans will see that the Zags have improved. A LOT. In a game like this one everything comes together. Some folks will be amazed by how good this team IS.

This one is a fight for the first leg of the championship. It's a fight for first place in conference play. Both sides will be fighting with all they have. That's what I like to watch. THE FIGHT. I want to see the fight in the bulldog. We can shoot, we can pass and rebound. I enjoy all of the wonderful skills the Zags display every time they play. But tonight is different. The steaks are higher. I hope to see the FIGHT in the bulldog. And we will. This is not preseason play, nor Out of Conference play. This is Gonzaga vs St Mary's for first place in conference play. Simply put, this is the Zags vs the Gaels....It's a heavyweight fight.

To top it off I'll be celebrating the birthdays of both of my sons. Their birthdays are just four days apart (17th and 21st), and we always celebrate them on the same day, usually a Saturday. But this year we're celebrating them tonight. A Zag victory makes this a perfect day.

Go Zags!!!

We will be with you in spirit, please pass on our best wishes for a great birthday for both.

Reborn
01-18-2018, 06:37 AM
We will be with you in spirit, please pass on our best wishes for a great birthday for both.

thanks Have a great day,

Good news. Zags up to #6 in kenpom rankings. I like this a lot. As we've always said, "Just keep winning," A lot of ranked teams lost last time, and some significant teams for GU won, teams like Creighton and Ohio St. Ohio St is now ranked #12 in Kenpom. St Mary's is 18th.

Go Zags!!!

GonzagasaurusFlex
01-18-2018, 06:42 AM
Did you forget about Creighton? That was a huge game imo. Creighton is ranked higher than both Florida and St Mary's. And I think that we beat Creighton convincingly, and believe the Zags will do the same to St Mary's tonight. This team is better than some think. IMO

True enough, Zags looked great vs Creighton and that was a quality win for sure but not as big as beating either Florida or Villanova would have been.

TheGonzagaFactor
01-18-2018, 06:47 AM
True enough, Zags looked great vs Creighton and that was a quality win for sure but not as big as beating either Florida or Villanova would have been.

Creighton is as good or better of a win than Florida would have been. Jays should be ranked next week. Even OSU is ranked this week, unlike the Gators.

TravelinZag
01-18-2018, 06:50 AM
Someone posted earlier that on December 10, we’d know what this year’s Zags have got. We did. Sort of.

Tonight, we’ll know where the Zags are going. Maybe. Win, and the future is easier: even if the Zags lose the rematch in Moraga, they’ll share the regular season crown, and get a dance invite without a WCC tourney win. If the Gaels lose, they must win the WCC tournament or risk being relegated to the NIT. Gaels have a slightly easier regular season schedule, beating BYU.

Both teams a chance to be better than last year’s squads. Neither will. However, chance and desire are arguably more important than high skill during the dance, so it’s wide open.

Go Zags! Take an important first step toward San Antonio.

Zag_Dad
01-18-2018, 07:22 AM
Happy birthday to your boys. Can't think of a better gift for both you and you sons than spending the evening with them watching the Zags beat the Gaels.

GO ZAGS!

GonzagasaurusFlex
01-18-2018, 07:40 AM
Creighton is as good or better of a win than Florida would have been. Jays should be ranked next week. Even OSU is ranked this week, unlike the Gators.

In terms of RPI, ranking etc, yes. In terms of Zags stepping up when spotlight is shining brightest upon them this season, they’re 0-2: PK80 semis & Villanova in MSG. Tonight the national spotlight shines brightly on the Zags once again vs their #1 rival on ESPN in prime time. Let’s go Zags, make a statement tonight!!!

buenaparkzag
01-18-2018, 08:16 AM
thanks Have a great day,

Good news. Zags up to #6 in kenpom rankings. I like this a lot. As we've always said, "Just keep winning," A lot of ranked teams lost last time, and some significant teams for GU won, teams like Creighton and Ohio St. Ohio St is now ranked #12 in Kenpom. St Mary's is 18th.

Go Zags!!!

Texas won over #8 Texas Tech yesterday.
Good news, I guess.

Zagceo
01-18-2018, 09:41 AM
The energy of the Kennel should ignite players adrenaline..Zags must play under control on offense and active hands and feet on defense for 40 min.

Gonna take 3 to stop Landale....the double and the quick rotation IMO

Markburn1
01-18-2018, 10:05 AM
The energy of the Kennel should ignite players adrenaline..Zags must play under control on offense and active hands and feet on defense for 40 min.

Gonna take 3 to stop Landale....the double and the quick rotation IMO

The key will be to stop Naar. All the switching against USF concerned me. I would prefer that Melson and Perkins fight through the screens rather than switching with the bigs. Limiting Naar's space and vision will result in more difficult passes to the post and sticking with him through screens will avoid helping off shooters resulting in fewer uncontested threes.

Zagceo
01-18-2018, 10:53 AM
The key will be to stop Naar. All the switching against USF concerned me. I would prefer that Melson and Perkins fight through the screens rather than switching with the bigs. Limiting Naar's space and vision will result in more difficult passes to the post and sticking with him through screens will avoid helping off shooters resulting in fewer uncontested threes.

Agree starts with Naar

Key will be finding out which defensive scheme works best..the fastest.

kitzbuel
01-18-2018, 11:35 AM
I am very frightened of this game. WooHoo did not have a dream.

demian
01-18-2018, 11:59 AM
Heck yeah Reborn (Dad) I am totally pumped up for this game!!! I will be wearing my throwback Ronny Turiaf GU jersey tonight for the game as we celebrate birthday watching the game together. Thanks TexasZagFan and Zag_Dad for the birthday wishes. I think the Zags stepped up BIG TIME in the game vs UW Huskies ON THE ROAD after UW just whooped Kansas at Allen Fieldhouse in Kansas and we had just gotten curb stomped by Villanova in MSG within the same week leading up to the game. We stepped up and destroyed UW by basically 30 points in there stupid gym. I was real proud of the boys that night for rising to the occasion in state. Now lets send St Marys back to Cali tonight searching for answers. Go Zags

zagzilla
01-18-2018, 12:34 PM
Everybody is talking about who matches up with Jock Landale.

An equally good question is who does SMC have to match up with Rui. I think he kills Hermanson.

ZZ

zagzilla
01-18-2018, 12:39 PM
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/preview?gameId=400986893

The Gaels' three-headed monster -- seniors Jock Landale, Calvin Hermanson and Emmett Naar -- has accounted for almost 56 percent of the team's scoring.

Landale, a 6-foot-11 center, has played his way on to the Wooden Award's Top 25 list. The Australian has eight double-doubles in his past 10 games.

Fellow Aussie Naar leads the nation in assists with 9.4 per game.

"From where we were at the start of the year to where we are now, we're a much-improved team," Naar told the paper."

The good news for us is that we have a 6 headed monster!!

ZZ

Zags11
01-18-2018, 02:33 PM
Man I'm pumped. Happy bday to your kids reborn.

Let's get a W.

Pargo the Destroyer
01-18-2018, 07:26 PM
Welp now what. If only this team was as good as born says they are.

kitzbuel
01-18-2018, 07:28 PM
I am very frightened of this game. WooHoo did not have a dream.

It is WooHoo's fault.

Reborn
01-18-2018, 07:48 PM
Welp now what. If only this team was as good as born says they are.

You got me on this one for sure. That team who played St, Mary's tonight did not look like any Gonzaga Team I've ever seen play. Whoever said it was a great game certainly doesn't know much about basketball. Yeah!!! It was a GREAT game by St Mary's. I don't think anyone who knows about basketball could ever say Gonzaga played great, and not only that, they couldn't even say Gonzaga played good/ Hachimura played great and Tillie played good. That's it. And few played Tillie very little.

Hoopaholic
01-18-2018, 08:07 PM
You got me on this one for sure. That team who played St, Mary's tonight did not look like any Gonzaga Team I've ever seen play. Whoever said it was a great game certainly doesn't know much about basketball. Yeah!!! It was a GREAT game by St Mary's. I don't think anyone who knows about basketball could ever say Gonzaga played great, and not only that, they couldn't even say Gonzaga played good/ Hachimura played great and Tillie played good. That's it. And few played Tillie very little.

Guess Hudson and Morrison don't know anything about basketball...both saying great high level basketball

Zags11
01-18-2018, 08:09 PM
Guess Hudson and Morrison don't know anything about basketball...both saying great high level basketball

It was a gg. It was a great game to be at. However our 3pt defense sucks.

Hoopaholic
01-18-2018, 08:10 PM
It was a gg. It was a great game to be at. However our 3pt defense sucks.

Agree

Zagceo
01-18-2018, 08:42 PM
Agree

not very good at stopping 2ís from Landale either.

how do you feel about Landale after this game?

Reborn
01-18-2018, 09:12 PM

sorry I didn't listen to the radio. what were those wonderful high level remarks they made about the Zags? Outside of Rui Hachimura I can't see anything that was high level. Was the Zags defense high level? They allowed St Mary's to shoot 60+% from behind the arc, and 57% for the game. Was our defense on Landale down the stretch high level D. Where were the stops after Rui stopped him twice> Yes Rui Hachimura is HIGH LEVEL. On defense too. He guarded Landale when guarding him down the stretch two times. He stopped Narr at the point every time he guarded him. Rui, yes is high level and played at that level the whole game. Unfortunately they refused to go to him down the stretch and chose Williams and Perkins to carry us. They both would have been my last choices,TONIGHT. Neither played good offensively imo. Oh And what good things did they have to say about our 3 pt shooting? Was that Elite? 27% is elite, and only one player making more than one three (Melson hit two) and both of his 3's were early in the game. Was choosing Josh Perkinds to shoot our final shot from NBA distance an elite choice TONIGHT. No Not tonight. On some nights when he's playing good. Then sure. But not tonight. You could say it was a close game for sure. You could say St Mary's played pretty good. But not great. Not elite. They have one elite player and a good coach who went to him down the stretch every time. And Few elects to let Williams guard him one on one. I'm sure everyone in the gym knew Landale would score. Even Williams knew. Williams gave up hope two plays early when Landale scored easily on him and Williams put his head down and threw up his arms as if to say, "I can not guard this guy one on one," Unfortunately Mark Few did not see that jester.

Sorry. I don't care what either Morrison or Hudson said. It was not elite basketball by Gonzaga in any sense of that word. St Mary's is the 245th worse defensive team in the country, and yet Gonzaga scores only 71 points, about 20 points below our average....Yes that's right. Against the 245th worse defensive team in the coutry......and shooting 27% behind the arch and 47% for the game against a horrible defensive team is called Elite??? Gonzaga NEVER WINS WHEN THEY PLAY SELFISH ONE ON ONE BASKETBALL. That my friend, is not how elite basketball is played.

Reborn
01-18-2018, 09:16 PM
I think everyone knows, including me, knows that Landale is a great offensive player. I mean everyone but Mark Few. Maybe Few will be convinced after tonight. Neither Williams nor Tillie can guard him one on one. I knew this before the game and certainly know it now. I honestly believe that either Few would double him or play Larsen more. for some reason Few doesn't like Larsen.. He gave him 4 minutes......