PDA

View Full Version : Withers: A peek at Thursday Night

sittingon50
01-16-2018, 03:29 PM
http://en.bloguru.com/GloryHounds/315605/next-for-zags-youknowwho-with-an-itch-to

MDABE80
01-16-2018, 03:55 PM
Defense is key. I really believe that. SMC's a tough offensive nut to crack. Choke off Narr and cover Landale like a blanket and that's where it ends unless we have a TO festival or the refs renew Christmas for SMC.

Zagsker
01-16-2018, 05:40 PM
Love the following

2017: Saint Mary’s pieces together a marvelous 29-5 season, winning a game in the NCAA tournament and giving Arizona all it can handle in the round of 32. But any acclaim due Moraga is drowned out as the Zags mount their first run to the Final Four, and all Saint Mary’s gets out of it is the check Gonzaga annually earns for the rest of the WCC.

TexasZagFan
01-16-2018, 09:46 PM
Love the following

2017: Saint Mary’s pieces together a marvelous 29-5 season, winning a game in the NCAA tournament and giving Arizona all it can handle in the round of 32. But any acclaim due Moraga is drowned out as the Zags mount their first run to the Final Four, and all Saint Mary’s gets out of it is the check Gonzaga annually earns for the rest of the WCC.

I wonder what Bud’s “handle” is on the GU Board? ;)

Zagger
01-17-2018, 03:36 AM
.449 -- Saint Mary’s defensive field-goal percentage doesn’t flatter the team’s profile; it’s 242nd in the country. The Zags shoot .512 themselves -- against a better schedule -- and they’ve tended to shoot well against Saint Mary’s. It’s usually what happens at the other end -- Zags defending the Gaels -- that writes the script in this series, and that’s probably where it’s at Thursday night in the Kennel.

It won't just be the Zags defending the Gaels .... students are back and PUMPED. The crowd will be helping the Zag defense too.

77Zag
01-17-2018, 08:09 AM
Certainly some pretty impressive stat lines for the Gaels --

52.4 -- Saint Mary’s leads the nation in field-goal percentage. Its floor spacing is tough to guard, and the Zags struggled at times at San Francisco to keep the Dons’ guards away from the basket.

1.85 -- The Gaels’ assist-turnover ratio is No. 2 in the nation. They commit only 9.6 turnovers a game. On the other hand, playing at a methodical tempo ranked 343rd nationally by KenPom, they create only 10.5 turnovers.

.777 -- Don’t foul them; they rank 16th at the free throw line.

So we are doomed... I wonder how these stats would look if they played our OOC schedule and left California for a game or two? They have played one game in Provo UT --and slept at home for most of these I'm sure... 12 in Moraga, 1 in Berkeley, 3 in Fullerton, 1 in Malibu, 1 in Santa Clara.

Go Zags - Beat the Gaels!!

CdAZagFan
01-17-2018, 08:18 AM
Defense is key. I really believe that. SMC's a tough offensive nut to crack. Choke off Narr and cover Landale like a blanket and that's where it ends unless we have a TO festival or the refs renew Christmas for SMC.

This... But I'll take it a step further: The 3-point defense. I think this game goes down to who shoots the 3's better. The Zags 3-pt defense has been somewhat lacking this year. Hope they can step it up Thursday.