PDA

View Full Version : House fire for the family of Sam Dower Jr: GoFundMe Link

LongIslandZagFan
01-16-2018, 08:44 AM
***UPDATE*** We received the 'okay' from the university to post this link (thanks LIZF and whoever else for your work on that!)

HERE IS THE LINK--- https://www.gofundme.com/home-destroyed-from-a-fire

For those that haven't heard, Sam Dower's mom's house burned down on Sunday. All escaped unharmed but they lost literally everything. We know some of you have tried to link to a fundraiser... but for now... we are awaiting confirmation from Gonzaga that linking to this would not constitute a NCAA violation. When and if we get clearance we will post a link to it. Please do not link to it on this forum at this time.

It is sad that we need to worry about something like this, but we do. The admins and mods thank you in advance... please keep Sam and his family in your thoughts and prayers.

willandi
01-16-2018, 08:55 AM
For those that haven't heard, Sam Dower's mom's house burned down on Sunday. All escaped unharmed but they lost literally everything. We know some of you have tried to link to a fundraiser... but for now... we are awaiting confirmation from Gonzaga that linking to this would not constitute a NCAA violation. When and if we get clearance we will post a link to it. Please do not link to it on this forum at this time.

It is sad that we need to worry about something like this, but we do. The admins and mods thank you in advance... please keep Sam and his family in your thoughts and prayers.

So. Would Sam lose his NCAA e;eligibility if we donated? Seems like he graduated, so it is no longer anything to do with the NCAA, unless they want to rebuild the house and replace the lost memories.

LongIslandZagFan
01-16-2018, 09:06 AM
So. Would Sam lose his NCAA e;eligibility if we donated? Seems like he graduated, so it is no longer anything to do with the NCAA, unless they want to rebuild the house and replace the lost memories.

Not saying to not donate... just saying we cannot link to it. It isn't an eligibility issue... GU could be found in violation and receive penalties. I fully expect we will be able to link to it. I had a short twitter discussion with Kelly O last night and he thought it'd be best if we cleared it with GU first. I reached out to GU last night... Waiting to hear back. My contact who has good knowledge of the NCAA rules wanted to check as it is an odd situation.

ezcure17
01-16-2018, 09:44 AM
If u want to help u can go on twitter and they have a go fund me page set up

MDABE80
01-16-2018, 09:52 AM
Over regulation. They'll get plenty of support on gofundme;)

zagbeliever
01-16-2018, 10:38 AM
Kelly O has a link on his twitter account for anyone who wants to help. I met the Dower family in Vegas. Nice people

gozagswoohoo
01-16-2018, 11:35 AM
Kelly O has a link on his twitter account for anyone who wants to help. I met the Dower family in Vegas. Nice people

Yes they are!

gozagswoohoo
01-16-2018, 11:45 AM
Very neat to read through some of the very familiar names on that donor list. Love seeing how amazing this zags family can be. No surprise.

DixieZag
01-16-2018, 12:33 PM

I am pretty sure it's fine, too. But, we don't own the place and there's nothing wrong with giving them some time to just be triple sure.

Put it this way, the NCAA is notorious for working at finding a way to penalize good people trying to do a good deed, coaches loaning money to kids to get a plane ticket to see a sick family member and all, so why give them an easy target.

Love out to Sam and family. I am sure the mods will find a way to make this easy and safe.

#ZagforLife

MDABE80
01-16-2018, 12:46 PM
Very neat to read through some of the very familiar names on that donor list. Love seeing how amazing this zags family can be. No surprise.
Woohoo. Have a link my friend?

Hoopaholic
01-16-2018, 12:51 PM
Woohoo. Have a link my friend?

until we receive clearance from university please do not post links........MDABE80 a simple google search will point you to the location.

Gonzdb8
01-16-2018, 01:44 PM
i agree with exercising caution. no need to take the risk especially when the link is easily accessible elsewhere. that said, as an academic exercise, i'm curious what folks think the ncaa's argument would be for sanctioning a university because a fan site posted a link to a fundraiser for a former student athlete who no longer has ties to the university (to my knowledge) beyond being an alum. personally i think the ncaa would have to do some serious mental gymnastics to extend any of their provisions/regulations/restrictions to cover something like this, but perhaps i'm completely wrong about that. perhaps they are trying to stop the ever present risk of coaches/boosters promising potential recruits that 6 years after they graduate they would burn down their parents house, promote a fundraiser on their fan site, and then they'd really see the payoff! talk about the long con! i dunno, seems suspect. but yeah, there is no question about avoiding the risk given the ncaa track record on excessive regulation.

sittingon50
01-16-2018, 01:51 PM
A really special Zag & "young man."

Thinking of Sam & family. Really happy to hear everyone is all right.

MDABE80
01-16-2018, 01:55 PM
We are always talking about a family for our players. Let's be part of the family. $25-50 shouldn't hurt too much. Go Zags!!

LongIslandZagFan
01-16-2018, 01:58 PM
i agree with exercising caution. no need to take the risk especially when the link is easily accessible elsewhere. that said, as an academic exercise, i'm curious what folks think the ncaa's argument would be for sanctioning a university because a fan site posted a link to a fundraiser for a former student athlete who no longer has ties to the university (to my knowledge) beyond being an alum. personally i think the ncaa would have to do some serious mental gymnastics to extend any of their provisions/regulations/restrictions to cover something like this, but perhaps i'm completely wrong about that. perhaps they are trying to stop the ever present risk of coaches/boosters promising potential recruits that 6 years after they graduate they would burn down their parents house, promote a fundraiser on their fan site, and then they'd really see the payoff! talk about the long con! i dunno, seems suspect. but yeah, there is no question about avoiding the risk given the ncaa track record on excessive regulation.

This in terms of what I bolded.

Note... former means nothing... Not in this situation... but you could conceivably agree pay someone off after the fact as a booster... which is why the rules extend forward beyond their stay at the university.

ZagNative
01-16-2018, 05:47 PM
Here's Kelly Olynyk's Twittter page with the link to the Gofundme page: https://twitter.com/KellyOlynyk

Please delete if it's not okay to include the link. However, I noted that included in the list of folks who contributed to the fund Ray Giacoletti, Bryan Michaelson, and Tommy Lloyd. Would they have donated if there was anything questionable with the NCAA with having done so?

Direct link is in the OP ( added a short while ago. Also here: https://www.gofundme.com/home-destroyed-from-a-fire )

Thanks to all for your support of the Dower family

LongIslandZagFan
01-16-2018, 08:33 PM
Per GU... yes... ok to link directly and ok to donate. Please give what you can

SWZag
01-16-2018, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the news and the path to help. Terrible thing to go through.

LongIslandZagFan
01-17-2018, 07:29 AM
Almost to the initial goal... lets see if we can push past it and go beyond!

rennis
01-17-2018, 07:49 AM
Wow, someone put in a $2500 anonymous donation. That's incredible.

gozagswoohoo
01-17-2018, 09:06 AM
Wow, someone put in a $2500 anonymous donation. That's incredible.

Saw that!! Yes it is! So cool.

$375 away from the initial goal.

ZagNative
01-17-2018, 11:55 AM
It's fun checking the names of donors. Lots of familiar folks.

gozagswoohoo
01-17-2018, 11:56 AM
That is someone we all know and respect. I happened to be looking at it when donation was made and took a photo of it and texted it to my husband who was downstairs in man cave. Then he switched it to anonymous which is in fitting with his character. So glad the Dower’s are reaching their goal!

It was Andy Bennett wasn't it? I knew it.

LongIslandZagFan
01-17-2018, 12:38 PM
$75 away from initial goal... come on Zag Fam!

RenoZag
01-30-2018, 11:20 AM
The GoFundMe campaign is closed. . .Over $11K raised for the cause. Nice work, Zag Nation.

Anyone have any updates ?