PDA

View Full Version : GU vs SMC - Predictions/What you hope to see

LongIslandZagFan
01-15-2018, 04:57 AM
OK... round one of this matchup. First real test since OOC...

What are you expecting to see, hoping to see, predictions?

Have at it boys and girls!

sheps001
01-15-2018, 06:21 AM
Based upon Kenpoms analysis this should be an offensive mined game with a slight edge to SMC on the offense and a decided edge to GU on the defense and we are at home. I guesstimate 88-84 GU and I hope I'm right. Go Zags!

Zaga
01-15-2018, 06:36 AM
77-72 .................Gonzaga gets the W

Martin Centre Mad Man
01-15-2018, 06:39 AM
Zags 80. Gaels 67.

Emmett Naar will have an uncomfortable night with Perkins and Melson guarding him.

Rui will feast in the second half.

stevet75
01-15-2018, 06:56 AM
Zags 82 Dons 78

Hoopaholic
01-15-2018, 07:02 AM
Run hermanson and Krebs off three line
Contain Naar penetration
Make landale work on defense
Push tempo

Zags 78
SMC 66

DixieZag
01-15-2018, 07:26 AM
I know nothing about SMC

Just a guess:

Zags: 81
Gauls: 75

willandi
01-15-2018, 07:45 AM
78-75 Gonzaga

bigblahla
01-15-2018, 08:08 AM
Gollum and his minions will be served a fresh order of whip azz....

The Dark horde from Moronga has but one chance and that is to control game tempo. They do not play as fast as a TEAM nor have the athletic hops and vertical game of GU. If Landale holds true to form he will spend 30 to 40% of the game on the bench in foul trouble.

Don't think Gollum's boys can play enough "D" to stop the Zags but they will effect tempo until they fall behind by double digits.

Zags 88-74....

Go!! Zags!!!

amaronizag
01-15-2018, 08:18 AM
When we played San Fran last Thursday, every time their big man came up to set a high screen, we switched so J3 was now on their guard at the top of the key and our guard was on their big who rolled deep to take advantage of the mismatch. If we do that against St. Mary's, Jock will score 40 and kill us. We have to lock down Naar and do our best to deny him the ball, double Jock, and take our chances on the rest hitting 3's. At least that's one way to play them. Can't wait to see how Few's game plan. Few also talked about how SF guards gave us fits when they penetrated, then passed back outside to the open man after we doubled up in the middle, and how that was hard because it was the opposite of what we faced all year. St Mary's does the exact same thing!! Hope we at least try a little more zone than usual.

The Kennel will be rocking with the students back. Should be a great game.

Zags 82--78 Gaels.

ZagsObserver
01-15-2018, 08:21 AM
GU 84
SMC. 72

LongIslandZagFan
01-15-2018, 08:27 AM
SMC historically doesn't fare well in the Kennel but suspect this will be a tight game.

Zags 88
SMC 81

MontanaCoyote
01-15-2018, 08:34 AM
Championship intensity, No injuries, playing smart.

ZagOD7540
01-15-2018, 09:34 AM
Run hermanson and Krebs off three line
Contain Naar penetration
Make landale work on defense
Push tempo

Zags 78
SMC 66

Spot on. The open look 3s that we have given teams this year has been very concerning. Florida buried them and burned us, other teams have fortunately struggled at times.
Attack Landale on the offensive end. Whoever he is matched up against (Tillie or J3), better come ready to play. Beat him up and down the floor and establish great low post position. Strong post moves, ball fakes, get him playing on his heels. Everything needs to be toward the basket. Attack the hoop. Make him play D. Make it apparent that we are going to come right at him every time down the floor. Two fouls in the first half are a must

CdAZagFan
01-15-2018, 09:38 AM
For me, this one comes down to one thing - who hits their 3's. If Zags do, they win. If they don't, SMC wins.

SMC 70
Zags 65

raise the zag
01-15-2018, 09:51 AM
We will be unable to defend Landale. Can't front guard him all night, will require a double team, which leaves Hermanson & Naar & Neal & sharp-shooter Ford open for 3's.

Good news is Jock won't have much luck defending our guys either. Gotta break him down, move around him, draw some fouls.

I'd like to see Jacob Larsen foul out this game, if he must. Meaning, he will log some mins and defend him like crazy. Larsen's wingspan is around 7'3", so will help.

If we don't see Larsen til 2nd half again, it will make me seriously wonder...

Need a HEAVY dose of Rui this game. SMC has no one to remotely cover him. Fitzner may try, and the rest are either too slow, or too small.

Our guards will need to be really good defensively and communicating on ball screens and defense.

bigblahla
01-15-2018, 10:04 AM
We will be unable to defend Landale. Can't front guard him all night, will require a double team, which leaves Hermanson & Naar & Neal & sharp-shooter Ford open for 3's.

Good news is Jock won't have much luck defending our guys either. Gotta break him down, move around him, draw some fouls.

I'd like to see Jacob Larsen foul out this game, if he must. Meaning, he will log some mins and defend him like crazy. Larsen's wingspan is around 7'3", so will help.

If we don't see Larsen til 2nd half again, it will make me seriously wonder...

Need a HEAVY dose of Rui this game. SMC has no one to remotely cover him. Fitzner may try, and the rest are either too slow, or too small.

Our guards will need to be really good defensively and communicating on ball screens and defense.

I think if given the chance Larsen will handle him one on one...

Go!! Zags!!!

hooter73
01-15-2018, 10:06 AM
Tillie will foul out and Larsen will have three if not four by the end of the game. SMC by 8.

bigblahla
01-15-2018, 10:06 AM
For me, this one comes down to one thing - who hits their 3's. If Zags do, they win. If they don't, SMC wins.

SMC 70
Zags 65

IMO...Gollum's minions don't play good enough "D" to hold the Zags to 65 points in the Kennel without help from the zebras...

Go!! Zags!!!

former1dog
01-15-2018, 10:19 AM
Gonzaga wins 85-70

Sarenyon
01-15-2018, 10:23 AM
A lower scoring affair than either team is used to.

ZAGS 74
GAELS 67

All Weather Fan
01-15-2018, 10:29 AM
Pin fouls on Landale early & often. Attack the rim on offense & guard the 3 point line on defense.
Zags - 81
Gaels - 73

BULLDOG#1
01-15-2018, 10:38 AM
My guess is that we don't see an initial double team on Landale. If he starts killing us then, yes, Few will be forced to double. It's important that our guards use their length to challenge the entry pass. Landale is very good at sealing position on the block and SMC is good at getting him the ball in his spots. By challenging the entry pass, it may throw them off enough to mitigate where Landale gets his touches. I don't think SMC has played many teams with GUs length on the wing.

I also don't think Landale can beat us on his own. It's their 3 point shooters we need to worry about. Naar is really good, especially at the high pick and roll, but he's not built to shred the defense with dribble drives. Perkins/Melson pressuring him will pay dividends. Defending the high pick and roll may decide the game and I'm certain Few is focusing on this right now.

From what I've seen of SMC this year -- and i've watch them a few times -- they can be incredibly efficient on the offensive end, but are often inconsistent. When the shooters are hitting and Landale is controlling the block, they are as good offensively as any team I've seen this year. Can that be stopped or slowed with a strong defensive effort by an athletic team like the zags? Absolutely. Remember though, good offense will always trump good defense.

Defensively though, SMC isn't that strong. GU will have an advantage there. Landale is much better at staying out of foul trouble, so while he could get into trouble with the zags aggressive bigs, I wouldn't count on him being in foul trouble. That stated, I don't see how SMC overall can hand with the gifted GU offensive weapons. IF Naar or Landale DO get into foul trouble, I would predict a GU rout. GU has so many offensive weapons, it seems like any one of the top seven scorers could have a huge game and make life miserable for SMC.

It wouldn't be shocked if Few really tried to shake things up and he went to a zone or the 3/4 court press to disrupt SMCs flow. The press may get the ball our of Naar's hands for a good chuck of the shot clock, which would be a good thing for GU. The danger is always that they throw over top of the press and hurt us with easy buckets, but GU has shown a great ability to recover out of the press and I'm not sure SMC has the horses to attack the back end of the press with athletic zags defending the back end.

A zone would mitigate the high pick and roll with Naar and Landale, but even without the zone, I would anticipate the zag bigs to hedge out a little less agressively and stay at home with Landale.

Should be a good matchup and though there's always the possibility of another SDSU dud, but I expect the zags to be ready, hungry, and benefit from playing at home. I'd say GU by 10-12.

TexasZagFan
01-15-2018, 10:54 AM
Nice post, Bulldog. We need to feed J3 and Tillie early and often.

You don't beat SMC with 7 assists and 15 turnovers.

So, does Silas get the defensive assignment on Naar?

Pressure has to be on SMC. We've won the last four, and the Gaels know their tournament hopes hinge on beating the Zags at least once.

Zags11
01-15-2018, 11:05 AM
Zags 79
Smc 74

thespywhozaggedme
01-15-2018, 11:47 AM
Tillie will foul out and Larsen will have three if not four by the end of the game. SMC by 8.

Who have the gaels beaten for you to predict a victory over us? Serious question.

BayAreaZagFan
01-15-2018, 11:49 AM
Well, since they are our "biggest rival", I think the good guys will be up for this game, especially with it being at the Kennel. I'm not sold on St Mary's (and it looks like they were over-ranked at the beginning of the season), but I think they'll be out to try to prove something this game, and also be up for the challenge. I look for the Zags to take a big early lead, SMC to claw their way back into it just enough to make things uncomfortable for a little while, then GU pulls away toward the end.

Zags - 80
That team I still hate to this day because of Samhan - 68

avid-zag-fan
01-15-2018, 11:57 AM
SMC is not a good 2 pt defensive team and we are an excellent 2 pt scoring team. I think start J3 and Larsen. Feed the ball to Landale's side, quick moves straight at the basket forcing contact to draw fouls. Tillie is foul prone so putting him in a bit later would be a better strategy. Rui, Melson, and ZN are our best finishers at the rim and draw a lot of fouls. doing this we will score a lot of points and probably get Landale out of the game.
Defensively, rest Perkins and Melson for a minute or 2 on each side of the media time outs. They are our best on ball defenders, so we need to keep them rested for the end of the game. Naar likes to use a brush screen from the high post near the foul line for a pick and roll so our guard should go under that screen so we don't end up big to little .Occasionally double Landale, but from different guys.
I think we score about the same amount as they do from 3 pt so we win the game handily with our points in the paint. Zags by 14

zagdontzig
01-15-2018, 11:59 AM
1. SCU proved doubling Jockstrap is effective. He panics and makes mistakes.
2. Crazy thought of the day - start Rui Blochimura on Jockstrap.

Prediction: I agree with the sentiment that SMC is overrated. I smell a blow out and potentially exposing SMC. Jeez I hope I didn't just jinx us.

Martin Centre Mad Man
01-15-2018, 12:10 PM
Well, since they are our "biggest rival", I think the good guys will be up for this game, especially with it being at the Kennel. I'm not sold on St Mary's (and it looks like they were over-ranked at the beginning of the season), but I think they'll be out to try to prove something this game, and also be up for the challenge. I look for the Zags to take a big early lead, SMC to claw their way back into it just enough to make things uncomfortable for a little while, then GU pulls away toward the end.

Zags - 80
That team I still hate to this day because of Samhan - 68

Enjoy.

https://gfycat.com/SizzlingMinorHorsechestnutleafminer

Martin Centre Mad Man
01-15-2018, 12:15 PM
http://media.spokesman.com/picture_story_item_images/srx_gu10_8_t451.jpg?a92dcd42cd156feb46432feb38c5ca 48fc965b2d

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Courtesy of our friends at the Spokesman.

http://www.spokesman.com/picture-stories/gonzaga-vs-saint-marys-march-11/

gozagswoohoo
01-15-2018, 12:16 PM
I BELIEVE WE ARE MORE BETTER THAN ST. MARY'S.

Zags by 9

Martin Centre Mad Man
01-15-2018, 12:31 PM
https://gfycat.com/unfortunatesnivelinggodwit

ZagzKrak
01-15-2018, 10:54 PM
Zags 92
SMC 77

tummydoc
01-15-2018, 11:19 PM
Zags 84, gales 76, post game handshake......priceless

Zagger
01-16-2018, 06:50 AM
95-75 ..... SMC just can’t stop GU @ GU w/ students back (and ready for some raw meat)!
Taco Time!

Want to see ..... 7 Zags in double digits including Jacob.

It’s not that I don’t think SMC isn’t that good. It’s that I think these Zags are better & primed. The Gaels just will not be able to handle Zags on fire. And it’ll be dang hot in McCarthey.

thespywhozaggedme
01-16-2018, 06:51 AM
88-81

TexasZagFan
01-16-2018, 07:28 AM
95-75 ..... SMC just can’t stop GU @ GU w/ students back (and ready for some raw meat)!
Taco Time!

Want to see ..... 7 Zags in double digits including Jacob.

It’s not that I don’t think SMC isn’t that good. It’s that I think these Zags are better & primed. The Gaels just will not be able to handle Zags on fire. And it’ll be dang hot in McCarthey.

Yeah, they're ready for a meaningful game after the first 3 weekends of WCC play.

strikenowhere
01-16-2018, 08:05 AM
73-58 Zags - Landale picks up 2 fouls early and sits for a while and Gaels' backcourt gets shut down by Perkins/Melson.

zag67
01-16-2018, 08:32 AM
Gu 84-67

mattydog73
01-16-2018, 11:24 AM
Zags 83
Gael tears 68

Rui and Norvell taking the defensive rebound and turning it into a fast break. Attacking the rim and foul pressure on Landale. A 3/4 token press that will speed them up and remove opportunity to move D around with passing.

*Yes you can front Landale but you have to get through the first initial pick and roll option they run 80% of the time. If you can make it past this, you front him with mostly backside help and a with a double team if he catches the ball out away from the block. If you double, guards MUST locate shooters and keep hands in passing lanes.

** hint Headband boy loves to drop to the corner for wide open threes.

Zagricultural
01-16-2018, 11:24 AM
78-71 Zags. Just win Baby!

Kiddwell
01-16-2018, 01:04 PM
Kangaroo Stew, Mate, a limerick
<ahem>
"There once was some Vegemite,
The Aussie Nation's delight,
As smelly as peat,
No, Randy's small feet,
No, Landale's jock! Ever' bite!"
-------

:boxing:

Burgers-'n'-Fries - 83
Crocodile Wings - 67

:]

gueastcoast
01-16-2018, 01:28 PM
Greatest fear in this game is the refs deciding to make themselves a factor. We've seen that movie before.

Leaving that nightmare briefly aside, I think the boys run 'em out of the gym. Too much athleticism.

GU 88
SMC 70

MDABE80
01-16-2018, 02:58 PM
We score a lot. Their defense might be worse than ours. I'd say Defense wins or loses this. Ours is much improved no matter what the points against says. The mechanics are there for a victory. What to do about Landale? I'd double him or have someone always near him to front him. Need quick feet for that. Rui? J3?
We need a strong defensive showing no matter what we do on offense. This is the time of the year when teams have had 2/3rds of their seasons to improve. Many have. Because of the improving offenses, defense wins these games toward the end of the season. It's the biggest thing.

77Zag
01-16-2018, 03:40 PM
Gaels 70
Zags 84

Go Zags - Beat the Gaels !!

ZagsGoZags
01-16-2018, 03:45 PM
Hi Abe,
Bulldog#1 said: "Remember though, good offense will always trump good defense." and I immediately thought of you and wondered what you think of that statement?

As usual SMC is pinning most of their Dancing hopes on whooping us. Our 3 pt defense has been spotty, and I think Bennett and their coaching staff put in a tremendous amount of homework on us. I suspect they will be hyper and putting heart and soul on the floor. We have to match it, or come close. A good grudge match, they want to prove the WCC coaches right, we want to prove them wrong. When we get hyper we turn the ball over too much. They know BYU has beat us in hour house three years in a row, so they know it can be done.
good guys 84,
bennett scowlers 78

ScrapironJim
01-16-2018, 04:30 PM
We score a lot. Their defense might be worse than ours. I'd say Defense wins or loses this. Ours is much improved no matter what the points against says. The mechanics are there for a victory. What to do about Landale? I'd double him or have someone always near him to front him. Need quick feet for that. Rui? J3?
We need a strong defensive showing no matter what we do on offense. This is the time of the year when teams have had 2/3rds of their seasons to improve. Many have. Because of the improving offenses, defense wins these games toward the end of the season. It's the biggest thing.

Our defense is ranked 16th in Kenpom,
SMC is raked 128th.

Nevada Don
01-16-2018, 04:45 PM
Our defense is ranked 16th in Kenpom,
SMC is raked 128th.

So you're saying there's a chance ?
Nevada Don
SMC '70
San Quentin '71-'76

jpn17
01-16-2018, 04:46 PM
I think that the score will be a lot more lopsided than people are predicting. I really am not seeing anything special about SMC. If they go 0-fer against the Zags this year they very well may be on the outside looking in come NCAA tournament time.

Zags by 20

coolhandzag
01-16-2018, 06:03 PM
Landale scores 40? Who was the last guy in thee WCC to do that? Morrison? Landale is not Morrison.

Rebound.
Defend.
Execute.

Look Bennett dead in eyes during the cursory job-by handshake at the end.

rennis
01-17-2018, 07:26 AM
I'm sticking with my gut feeling that I had about this rivalry when I watched both teams play on TV in November. The Gaels are very smart and well coached. But they don't have the athletes to match up with the Zags. They might get them in Moraga, but they have no chance in Spokane. SMC's only hope is the Zags are icy cold from the perimeter. I don't see it happening in The Kennel.

Gonzaga 86
SMC 72

Bocco
01-17-2018, 08:59 AM
Zags 84
Gaels 72

DixieZag
01-17-2018, 09:53 AM
Zags 84
Gaels 72

Bocco!

Nice to see you.

GU69
01-17-2018, 10:33 AM
Finally, a game that counts and one that will show how good of a team we have this year.
With a home game we should be fine.
GU 78-68

sideshow06
01-17-2018, 10:36 AM
Here's a decent and pretty even handed article someone posted over on our board.

http://en.bloguru.com/GloryHounds/315605/next-for-zags-youknowwho-with-an-itch-to

I think the idea that the Gaels must beat the Zags at least once to dance is reasonable. But I still don't think the pressure is on SMC in this particular game. Zags are ranked higher, defending home court, and have seemed a touch more mortal lately (while the Gaels seem to have solved some of their early season woes). Since the Gaels have at least one other shot (maybe two) I think they'll play loose and lay it all on the line. Neither team is prone to folding under pressure, but if there is any I think it's on the Zags for this game. If Zags win, the pressure flips squarely on the Gaels shoulders in the Moraga game. Honestly, I'm not sure how this one goes down. I wouldn't be surprised if the Zags sweep the series this year, but I also wouldn't be shocked if the Gaels win in Spokane. In December I'd be with most of you that Zags cruise - and maybe they still will, but it doesn't seem as sure a thing as it was a month ago. Last year was easier to predict. Of course, I want the Gaels to win, but I'd put it at 60/40 in Zags favor.

MDABE80
01-17-2018, 10:56 AM
[QUOTE=ZagsGoZags;1352207]Hi Abe,
Bulldog#1 said: "Remember though, good offense will always trump good defense." and I immediately thought of you and wondered what you think of that statement?

As usual SMC is pinning most of their Dancing hopes on whooping us. Our 3 pt defense has been spotty, and I think Bennett and their coaching staff put in a tremendous amount of homework on us. I suspect they will be hyper and putting heart and soul on the floor. We have to match it, or come close. A good grudge match, they want to prove the WCC coaches right, we want to prove them wrong. When we get hyper we turn the ball over too much. They know BYU has beat us in hour house three years in a row, so they know it can be done.
good guys 84,
bennett scowlers 78[/QUOTEhistory s proven its wrong .
No offense tended.
Moreso at this time of the year. No offense intended.

DixieZag
01-17-2018, 11:35 AM
Here's a decent and pretty even handed article someone posted over on our board.

http://en.bloguru.com/GloryHounds/315605/next-for-zags-youknowwho-with-an-itch-to

I think the idea that the Gaels must beat the Zags at least once to dance is reasonable. But I still don't think the pressure is on SMC in this particular game. Zags are ranked higher, defending home court, and have seemed a touch more mortal lately (while the Gaels seem to have solved some of their early season woes). Since the Gaels have at least one other shot (maybe two) I think they'll play loose and lay it all on the line. Neither team is prone to folding under pressure, but if there is any I think it's on the Zags for this game. If Zags win, the pressure flips squarely on the Gaels shoulders in the Moraga game. Honestly, I'm not sure how this one goes down. I wouldn't be surprised if the Zags sweep the series this year, but I also wouldn't be shocked if the Gaels win in Spokane. In December I'd be with most of you that Zags cruise - and maybe they still will, but it doesn't seem as sure a thing as it was a month ago. Last year was easier to predict. Of course, I want the Gaels to win, but I'd put it at 60/40 in Zags favor.

Pretty hard to argue your summation.

Mr Vulture
01-17-2018, 11:41 AM
I think the Zags are going to be very focused for this game and will want to make a point in regards to the coaches poll preseason.

Zags - 88
Gaels - 74

ZagNative
01-17-2018, 04:26 PM
From Twitter:

Nigel Williams-Goss
‏Verified account @NigelWG5
27m27 minutes ago

Parents in Spokane for the game tomorrow. I know they will be well taking care of! ���� #ZagFamily

MDABE80
01-17-2018, 04:31 PM
Bring Nigel!!!

RenoZag
01-17-2018, 04:35 PM
Zags currently favored by 7.5 points. Over/Under 149 points. . .

I'll go with:

Zags 77
Gaels 72

75Zag
01-17-2018, 04:50 PM
Tight game but GU wins. Not sure I would give 7.5 points, but a win is a win.

Go Bulldogs!

Zag_Dad
01-17-2018, 07:34 PM
Zags 78
Gaels 71

23dpg
01-17-2018, 08:24 PM
Coach Happy handshaker 78 Zags
Coach Blows by 67 Gaels

Reborn
01-17-2018, 08:46 PM
There's so much talk about Landale and whether the Zags can defend him. The real concern in this game is the concern Bennett has in defending Zag bigs. They have NEVER been able to do that, and the Zag's post players dominate St. Mary's. Last year JW3 totally destroyed St Mary's. I hope he does it again. The St Mary's game was his break-out game last year, and I'm looking forward to it again this year because he has been disappointing at times. He almost always seems to rise to the occasion though. Rui also will be a problem and Tillie too. Our guards shoot better at home. They can not defend us and will loose by more than ten.

I would like to see the Zags win by 20. I hope to see JW3 with 20, Rui with 17 and Josh with 15. Melson and Kispert will add ten appiece and Norvell 9. Melson will be Melson. Steady as he goes. Larsen won't really play all that much. Maybe 10 minutes.

Go Zags!!!

Go Zags!!!

spike_jr
01-17-2018, 10:04 PM
GU -80
SMC - 73

I think you let Landale get his but limit the 3 point opportunities. Pressure Naar all over the floor and maybe put Rui or JJ on him for a few minutes here and there just to make him work a little bit harder. Make Landale work on D too whether it is with J3 or Tillie operating down low or guards driving the basket.

We have superior talent (individually), but they have a really good team, they know how to play together, and they are well coached. It should be a really good, competitive game. If we win, SMC is going to be feeling a lot of pressure as the season progresses and I want to see how they handle it!

Bogozags
01-18-2018, 07:16 AM
NO INJURIES!

In SMC's 3-WCC road games (+19 points), their top eight players (based on minutes played) average: 45% 3pt FG; 20 APG; 29 RPG; 8.3 3pt FGMPG and have two players that have 5+ RPG.

GU in its 2-WCC home games (+47 points), our top eight players (based upon minutes played) average: 43% 3pt FG; 23APG; 34 RPG; 13 3pt FGMPG and we have five players that have 5+ RPG.

We need to find a way to stop Naar's penetration as he is extremely effective scoring in the paint. He averages 12 APG so we need to play great TEAM defence, which will help in limiting Landale's opportunities. In addition we need to know where Krebs (56%) and Hermanson (42%) are at all times as they are SMC's two best 3pt shooters. Also a side note...Neal is pretty crafty at getting to the FT line and will drive to get fouled...he isn't all that athletic so just keep up pressure on him...

I would like to see Silas, Josh and Zack be more aggressive in going to the hoop as I think both players are quicker/stronger than Naar, Ford and Neal. Our guards just don't get to the FT line enough, shooting a combined 2-4 from the line.

I would love to see Tillie be aggressive on offence and assertive on defence. It would be nice to see how our "high-low game" works against SMC as I think they can't guard JWIII, Tillie, RUI or Jacob in the paint.

I would like to see Josh and Zach hit their 1st 3pt FGA's...Silas should have another good game as he shoots so much better at home...much like Pangos use too.

BLOCK out and limit second chances...Run when we can and press when the opportunity affords itself, which will force SMC to play a quicker game.

GU 85
SMC 65

Psychozag
01-18-2018, 08:22 AM
GU - 81
SMC - 75

TravelinZag
01-18-2018, 08:38 AM
Controlled intensity. Pass smart, shoot smart, take care of the ball. Foul smart. Rotate defenders to maintain their intensity in the grills of Landale and Naar. Press and run some. Use our greater depth to wear them down, maintain energy for intensity and to spread fouls. Change defenses some to see how they adjust.

Zags 78
Gaels 69

Go Zags. Play your best and win.

rennis
01-18-2018, 08:45 AM
Landale scores 40? Who was the last guy in thee WCC to do that? Morrison? Landale is not Morrison.

There have been others. Wiltjer did it against Pacific a few years back. I'm sure someone else has at least been close. Foster had some big nights for SCU over the years.

hegotit!
01-18-2018, 08:50 AM
Zags 82
Gaels 70

BeachZag
01-18-2018, 09:03 AM
I am going to go out on a limb here and say that the speed and quickness the Zags possess overcomes that methodical Gael's offense. Zags 92 - SMC 73

kitzbuel
01-18-2018, 11:40 AM
Zags 87

Gales 72

upan8th
01-18-2018, 12:10 PM
Comparing lineups just don't see how Gaels can compete with GU's athleticism. But they could do it with guile. Run the shot clock down every possession, collapse the middle, let Zag guards fire away from beyond the arc. Another SDSU non-show from Perkins,
and with Melson and Kispert 2 for 13, SMC sneaks away w/a win. Rui &Norvell, on offense & defense keys to the game. Both teams tight, national spotlight, WCC bragging rights on the line, probably won't be a very artful contest. Think the O/U of 149+ is too high, spread 7 1/2 (down from 9) is about right. GU, far from a fully-formed team, lets Gael come back from 16 down, hangs on with late free throws: 77-70.

Mr Vulture
01-18-2018, 12:13 PM
One thing I'd like to add...I'd like to see Larsen get minutes on Landale and if he uses all his fouls, great. Make Landale work, he had trouble last year with the size of Karnowski.

JPW314159
01-18-2018, 01:37 PM
Zags 85
Smc 78

Zagnailler
01-18-2018, 03:33 PM
Zags 85
SMC 72

Our frontline limits Landale, and our balanced attack conquers the Gaels.

bballbeachbum
01-18-2018, 05:53 PM
just hope the Zags win, don't care how it looks