PDA

View Full Version : Frankie Ferrari=Ravet or Wade ?

Hogan
01-14-2018, 09:05 AM
Watching the San Fran game last night I couldnít help but wonder whether people in he know view Ravetís game as similar to Frankie Ferrari. Is that what we are hoping he, and possibly Wade, develop into? I could kind of see it with Wade,if he developed that level of confidence. Iíve never seen Ravet, so would appreciate anyoneís perspective on him.

jazzdelmar
01-14-2018, 09:47 AM
Watching the San Fran game last night I couldn’t help but wonder whether people in he know view Ravet’s game as similar to Frankie Ferrari. Is that what we are hoping he, and possibly Wade, develop into? I could kind of see it with Wade,if he developed that level of confidence. I’ve never seen Ravet, so would appreciate anyone’s perspective on him.

FF a nice low major pg, why would you ever want that?

gonstu
01-14-2018, 09:56 AM
FF a nice low major pg, why would you ever want that?

Does this mean you bored yourself by watching last night? Or just familiar with Frankie?

jazzdelmar
01-14-2018, 09:57 AM
Does this mean you bored yourself by watching last night? Or just familiar with Frankie?

Both. And stunned our pg aspirations have plummeted so far.

ZagsObserver
01-14-2018, 10:05 AM
Both. And stunned our pg aspirations have plummeted so far.

FF is not high major. He’s mediocre as a mid-major at best.

zagsfanforlife
01-14-2018, 10:06 AM
I am with Jazz-

We just went to the National Championship--- lets not set our recruiting standards at Frankie Ferrari. Decent low major player-- not a top 25 team player. I would bet my life that if Ferrari went up to Coach Few and told him he wanted to transfer to GU, Fewie would not take him.

I surely hope Ravet or Wade are better players, or we are wasting a scholarship on them both.

jazzdelmar
01-14-2018, 10:09 AM
I am with Jazz-

We just went to the National Championship--- lets not set our recruiting standards at Frankie Ferrari. Decent low major player-- not a top 25 team player. I would bet my life that if Ferrari went up to Coach Few and told him he wanted to transfer to GU, Fewie would not take him.

I surely hope Ravet or Wade are better players, or we are wasting a scholarship on them both.

You never know, based on recent actions.

cggonzaga
01-14-2018, 10:50 AM
Watching the San Fran game last night I couldnít help but wonder whether people in he know view Ravetís game as similar to Frankie Ferrari. Is that what we are hoping he, and possibly Wade, develop into? I could kind of see it with Wade,if he developed that level of confidence. Iíve never seen Ravet, so would appreciate anyoneís perspective on him.

Back to your question Hogan. Ravet is way better than FF. Heís a little bigger, quicker, better shooter and scorer. That being said, Iím not sure heís much better than Boum. No knock on Ravet though as Boum seems pretty legit.

upan8th
01-14-2018, 10:58 AM
I guess we can always hope that Ravet, after averaging 35 per game as a senior, decides to renege on his Zag commitment and sign up with a team in a legitimate conference. Say Kansas, Kentucky, 'Nova, Mich. St, one of those, or choose from the five or ten other offers from teams who finally convince him that Gonzaga is a podunk school in a Jr. College Conference with idiots for fans. [Do I really have to put the sarcasm brackets in here?]

sittingon50
01-14-2018, 11:00 AM
So Ferrari is a RS Jr. & we're comparing him to Ravet, a HS Jr. Kind of a waste of time.

Shouldn't we wonder how Ravet stacks up against Curry (Steph; not his Mom)?

jazzdelmar
01-14-2018, 11:02 AM
I guess we can always hope that Ravet, after averaging 35 per game as a senior, decides to renege on his Zag commitment and sign up with a team in a legitimate conference. Say Kansas, Kentucky, 'Nova, Mich. St, one of those, or choose from the five or ten other offers from teams who finally convince him that Gonzaga is a podunk school in a Jr. College Conference with idiots for fans. [Do I really have to put the sarcasm brackets in here?]

I’m not sure what you’re point is, but it’s not sarcasm, IMO.

Hogan
01-14-2018, 11:03 AM
Thanks,cg. Bigger and quicker sounds good. Agree that Boum will be a handful for the next several years.

jazzdelmar
01-14-2018, 11:03 AM
So Ferrari is a RS Jr. & we're comparing him to Ravet, a HS Jr. Kind of a waste of time.

Shouldn't we wonder how Ravet stacks up against Curry (Steph; not his Mom)?

One extreme to the other.

thespywhozaggedme
01-14-2018, 12:29 PM
Back to your question Hogan. Ravet is way better than FF. He’s a little bigger, quicker, better shooter and scorer. That being said, I’m not sure he’s much better than Boum. No knock on Ravet though as Boum seems pretty legit.

Boum was the Oakland league player of the year three years in a row. The only thing that kept him from getting multiple PAC offers was his size. The kid is a legit score.

jazzdelmar
01-14-2018, 12:45 PM
Boum was the Oakland league player of the year three years in a row. The only thing that kept him from getting multiple PAC offers was his size. The kid is a legit score.

Great recruit by Kyle. Screw Devin Watson.

U Zig, I Zag
01-14-2018, 05:07 PM
I can see Boum becoming a thorn in the sides of WCC teams.

Birddog
01-14-2018, 05:24 PM
I can see Boum becoming a thorn in the sides of WCC teams.

And Boum goes the dynamite!

WallaWallaZag
01-14-2018, 10:39 PM
And Boum goes the dynamite!

agree with the great name...actually frankie ferrari is pretty darn good as well, haha.
if boum can put on a few pounds without losing quickness he's gonna be trouble...

gueastcoast
01-15-2018, 04:31 AM

I believe the term is "truck stop conference".

Yours,

Bill Walton

zagdontzig
01-15-2018, 06:22 AM
If I heard the announcers right, I think Farrari had a pretty big night as compared to his averages.

Birddog
01-15-2018, 06:45 AM
If I heard the announcers right, I think Farrari had a pretty big night as compared to his averages.

You did!

Reborn
01-15-2018, 09:31 AM
I think what most people don't know about Ravet is how well he can pass. He's the best passer I have seen in HS basketball,and would be much better that Wade or Ferrair, and Boum for that matter. He will fit into Few's offensive system beautifully because Few loves guards who can pass. He has the prettiest 3 quarter length court pass that I have seen. Because of his size you wouldn't think that he could make that pass with the ease that he can. I think he could be as good as Kevin Pangos if Few wanted him to be.

MDABE80
01-15-2018, 09:45 AM
Wade is superior.

BayAreaZagFan
01-15-2018, 11:05 AM
I have mixed feelings about FF (other than his name - I agree that is very cool). Is he an example of the type of floor leadership you look for in a pg, or is he too over-the-top with all of his constant motioning and directing the other players where to go? I was at the game the other night and kept watching as he brought the ball down the court and he did it every play - it got to be annoying. Does no one else on the team know what to do or where they're supposed to be on the plays?

MileHigh
01-15-2018, 11:24 AM
He has the prettiest 3 quarter length court pass I have ever seen..

Unless it’s an end of the game/half situation, no player should be throwing 3/4 court length passes...ever...

jazzdelmar
01-15-2018, 11:29 AM
Wade is superior.

No evidence of that yet, Doc. A major TBD.

Bogozags
01-15-2018, 12:52 PM
I have mixed feelings about FF (other than his name - I agree that is very cool). Is he an example of the type of floor leadership you look for in a pg, or is he too over-the-top with all of his constant motioning and directing the other players where to go? I was at the game the other night and kept watching as he brought the ball down the court and he did it every play - it got to be annoying. Does no one else on the team know what to do or where they're supposed to be on the plays?

No doubt the kid has some skills but right now (and yes he is a freshman) I question a lot of his decisions...I think he had his shot blocked 2 or 3 times...he shot pretty well from three but I think the freshman guard (Ross) from Pepperdine has more potential and makes much better choices...JMHO

Reborn
01-15-2018, 01:00 PM
Unless itís an end of the game/half situation, no player should be throwing 3/4 court length passes...ever...

How about on fast break situations? Since you know so much. Have you ever seen Gonzaga run their fast break? Well Kittitas HS runs a fast break offense a lot and Ravet throws 3/4 passes on the dime. I think if you saw Ravet play you'd understand what a great passer he is. Maybe most people can't throw that 3/4 length pass. I was shocked at the strength and accuracy of Ravet on that particular pass.

MileHigh
01-15-2018, 03:26 PM
How about on fast break situations? Since you know so much. Have you ever seen Gonzaga run their fast break? Well Kittitas HS runs a fast break offense a lot and Ravet throws 3/4 passes on the dime. I think if you saw Ravet play you'd understand what a great passer he is. Maybe most people can't throw that 3/4 length pass. I was shocked at the strength and accuracy of Ravet on that particular pass.

Maybe I am not clear on what you mean, but a 3/4 court pass is either getting the rebound under your basket and immediately hucking it up to the opposite top of the key extended, or getting an outlet and passing it all the way to the other baseline. Unless it is part of a sideline fast break play (which a lot of high school teams run) it is a risky pass that is discouraged by just about every coach out there.

MileHigh
01-15-2018, 03:29 PM
No doubt the kid has some skills but right now (and yes he is a freshman) I question a lot of his decisions...I think he had his shot blocked 2 or 3 times...he shot pretty well from three but I think the freshman guard (Ross) from Pepperdine has more potential and makes much better choices...JMHO

Colby Ross was Colorado player of the year last year. Not exceptionally quick or athletic but tricky with his change of speeds and really solid ball handler. Pepperdine got a steal in him.

CDC84
01-15-2018, 04:29 PM
Frankie Ferrari=Future Hollywood movie star in gangster movies?

What a perfect name for it if the basketball thing doesn't work out.

Zagsker
01-15-2018, 05:24 PM
...Unless it is part of a sideline fast break play (which a lot of high school teams run) it is a risky pass that is discouraged by just about every coach out there.

Unless your name is LaVar Ball!!!!!!!

Zagsker
01-15-2018, 05:25 PM
Frankie Ferrari=Future Hollywood movie star in gangster movies?

What a perfect name for it if the basketball thing doesn't work out.

Sounds like a franchised Italian restaurant

Zagcity
01-16-2018, 06:34 AM
Unless itís an end of the game/half situation, no player should be throwing 3/4 court length passes...ever...

I wish our own Zags would take your words to heart. :)

hooter73
01-16-2018, 07:27 AM
I believe Jesse can play at this level if all the cards would fall into place.

Wade, Ravet, FF... they are perfect WCC point guards.

SWZag
01-27-2018, 04:09 PM
Ferrari is playing some good ball lately. We'll see how he does tonight vs. GU.

MDABE80
01-27-2018, 05:23 PM
Think back 1 year and compare Rui then to now.........then think ahead.:)

LTownZag
02-15-2018, 08:50 PM
Wade is superior.

You sticking with that opinion?

Zagsker
02-15-2018, 09:12 PM

TexasZagFan
02-15-2018, 09:57 PM
Think back 1 year and compare Rui then to now.........then think ahead.:)

Welcome back!

23dpg
02-15-2018, 10:02 PM
Welcome back!

Old post.

As for the OP, is the question, what is the laziest way to compare players who are at 3 different levels?

Mantua
02-15-2018, 10:24 PM
I appreciate Frankie Ferrari. There’s a strong Italian tradition in the Bay Area. A lot of San Francisco great-grandparents worked for Ghiradelli Chocolate Company. Frankie has three brothers, Ralphie, Vinny and Giacomo. C’mon guys, the Dons just helped us out tonight.

U Zig, I Zag
02-16-2018, 07:23 AM
Frankie is skilled.