• Show
Clear All
  • Reborn
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2007

Post game analysis Gonzaga vs USF

Gonzaga 75
    USA 65

I was not impressed at all. 13 turnovers and 7 assists. That stat says it all to me. Jonathan going one on one all night long. Yeah he got his points. I thought he looked bad and especially on defense. I just don't like how he never passes when he's double teamed, Also on defense, His lack of switching on the screen and role left USF shooters open all night. USF makes 12-28 for 42%. This is so typical when Gonzaga does not play up to par.

The bench scores 13 points thanks to Mark Few. He played Kispert and Larsen very few minutes. Larsen looks really good, and we know what kispert can do. Few is a confidence breaker I think. This has been a great bench and to not play them more tonight is disgusting to me. And oh yeah he has to go with Jones.....who is absolutenly NO THREAT at all on offense. Sorry I didn't like the game at all. The defense imo was really pathetic.

Scoring: JW3 17, Perkins 16, Melson 14, Hachimura 19, Norvel 9, Tillie 6. I almost forgot, Tillie as is par for the course, looked like he didn't even care about playing tonight.

The good news is that GU almost never plays good in San Francisco.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!
  • Hoopaholic
    • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Reborn View Post
    Gonzaga 75
    USA 65

I was not impressed at all. 13 turnovers and 7 assists. That stat says it all to me. Jonathan going one on one all night long. Yeah he got his points. I thought he looked bad and especially on defense. I just don't like how he never passes when he's double teamed, Also on defense, His lack of switching on the screen and role left USF shooters open all night. USF makes 12-28 for 42%. This is so typical when Gonzaga does not play up to par.

The bench scores 13 points thanks to Mark Few. He played Kispert and Larsen very few minutes. Larsen looks really good, and we know what kispert can do. Few is a confidence breaker I think. This has been a great bench and to not play them more tonight is disgusting to me. And oh yeah he has to go with Jones.....who is absolutenly NO THREAT at all on offense. Sorry I didn't like the game at all. The defense imo was really pathetic.

Scoring: JW3 17, Perkins 16, Melson 14, Hachimura 19, Norvel 9, Tillie 6. I almost forgot, Tillie as is par for the course, looked like he didn't even care about playing tonight.

Go Zags!!!
    We must have watched a different game...j3 switched and played very well on guards including blocking shots, altering shots
    The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

• ZagNative
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Thanks, Reborn. I look forward to your post-game analysis, and this one was spot on.

Comment

• bballbeachbum
        Zag for Life
        • Dec 2008

Zags went zone after the under 12 2nd half and got four straight stops, helped overcome the BS that was going down
        Morrison was right, the refs get a D-
        overcoming the jive was cool to see
        Larsen struggled to play the Zags switching perimeter defensive scheme; that USF team is well coached, and Smith and company got the iso on Larsen with Ferrari and torched it
        Smith also trapped the Zags when Josh was forced to the bench (with dubious foul calls), something I think the Zags can look forward to from here on out
        how many of the Zag turnovers were offensive fouls, anyone know that stat or where to find it please?
        thought it was a sweet win on the road in the horror house War Memorial with the road WCC Zag officials out in full force tonight

Comment

• raise the zag
          Zag for Life
          • May 2011

maybe Coach Few is saving Larsen and planning to unleash him vs St Marys!

he rebounds everything. his defense is awesome vs dribble drive. arms up, great length, moves laterally pretty well, if not great for 7'. imagine if his knee was 100% healthy or trusted.

can't explain not playing him, b/c we will NEED him vs Landale next Thurs. Right?

Can 6'8" J3 guard him? Or lanky Tillie? Not unless they front him.

Larsen could be sneaky good vs Jock

Comment

• jazzdelmar
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

With ya Bornie. You hit all the high/low points. Lotta of gonna get mine out there, sheathed in ra-ra stuff. Two passes and up all night. Everybody, even Hach. Disappointing. Tillie musta joined French foreign legion; he’s disappeared.

Comment

• CDC84
              Super Moderator
              • Feb 2007

I am still waiting for that dang Snickers Bar commercial with that guy in the hospital to air again. What the hell is up with that? That ad must have run 47 times during the GU/USF game tonight. You talk about overload. Do they really think we like candy bars that much? Gees.

Comment

• bballbeachbum
                Zag for Life
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by raise the zag View Post
                maybe Coach Few is saving Larsen and planning to unleash him vs St Marys!

he rebounds everything. his defense is awesome vs dribble drive. arms up, great length, moves laterally pretty well, if not great for 7'. imagine if his knee was 100% healthy or trusted.

can't explain not playing him, b/c we will NEED him vs Landale next Thurs. Right?

Can 6'8" J3 guard him? Or lanky Tillie? Not unless they front him.

Larsen could be sneaky good vs Jock
                that would seem the matchup to get him some minutes if it was to happen. I just wonder about the knee's health
                on Landale, hope to see no one else get off no matter who is guarding him and what he does Thursday

Comment

• Zagricultural
                  Professional Zag Fan
                  • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Reborn View Post
                  Gonzaga 75
                  USA 65

Go Zags!!!
                  Correct. Especially regards the bench

Comment

• bballbeachbum
                    Zag for Life
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Hoopaholic View Post
                    We must have watched a different game...j3 switched and played very well on guards including blocking shots, altering shots
                    went for a walk, what's up here?

JIII getting the wrath when he appeared to be told to go 1v1, him and Rui and Tillie, all of them, that's what the Zags went to, right? those matchups, that's what they wanted all night
                    Tillie got pulled at 16:50 first half and Rui in, and he went to work off the bounce 1v1 pronto. Zags had mad mismatches on those 1v1s

was that not the apparent offensive game plan for the Zags? if guys are going 1v1 because coach told them too, that's cool right?

Reborn, I disagree old friend

Go Zags!

Comment

• VinnyZag
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
                      I am still waiting for that dang Snickers Bar commercial with that guy in the hospital to air again. What the hell is up with that? That ad must have run 47 times during the GU/USF game tonight. You talk about overload. Do they really think we like candy bars that much? Gees.
                      Honestly, this is the best post in this thread by a long shot.

Comment

• bballbeachbum
                        Zag for Life
                        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by VinnyZag View Post
                        Honestly, this is the best post in this thread by a long shot.
                        right on man

well, care to add to the discussion, make it interesting basketball talk man? I know you can, all those years on the game thread

Comment

• jpn17
                          Professional Zag Fan
                          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by bballbeachbum View Post
                          Zags went zone after the under 12 2nd half and got four straight stops, helped overcome the BS that was going down
                          Morrison was right, the refs get a D-
                          overcoming the jive was cool to see
                          Larsen struggled to play the Zags switching perimeter defensive scheme; that USF team is well coached, and Smith and company got the iso on Larsen with Ferrari and torched it
                          Smith also trapped the Zags when Josh was forced to the bench (with dubious foul calls), something I think the Zags can look forward to from here on out
                          how many of the Zag turnovers were offensive fouls, anyone know that stat or where to find it please?
                          thought it was a sweet win on the road in the horror house War Memorial with the road WCC Zag officials out in full force tonight
                          Agreed about the refs, this was the first game this year that I've been annoyed over the officiating. They were embarrassing.

On the bright side the Zags have now won 6 straight in WMG.

Comment

• Zags11
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2008

It was a whatever game. The main thing is the zags won. I'm pretty pumped about the game Thursday.

Comment

• Birddog
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Any word on the Snickers guy this morning? Has he been released?
                              Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
                              Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
                              All mimsy were the borogoves,
                              And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

Working...
                              X