PDA

View Full Version : Personal Attacks Must Stop

former1dog
01-10-2018, 07:01 PM
As a long time poster, I would like to call out those forum participants who are regularly getting involved in personal attacks. Calling names, questioning intelligence, berating, etc. needs to stop.

Trolling also needs to stop, as this is what is commonly leading to the name calling and bad behavior.

In Internet slang, a troll (/troʊl, trɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting quarrels or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll#cite_note-PCMAG_def-2) or of otherwise disrupting normal, on-topic discussion,[3] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll#cite_note-IUKB_def-3) often for the troll's amusement..

There are a couple of long time posters who have been involved in trolling this forum recently and it is below their standards and is undignified to say the least.

If the individuals involved won't clean up their own acts, I would like the moderators to start giving time outs and banning posters until it does stop.

Thank you.

Zagceo
01-10-2018, 07:45 PM
The little triangle with a exclamation point above the "reply to thread" prompt is used to "report post"...like personal attacks..like trolling.

For those that may not know.

ZagNative
01-10-2018, 08:14 PM
As a long time poster, I would like to call out those forum participants who are regularly getting involved in personal attacks. Calling names, questioning intelligence, berating, etc. needs to stop.

Trolling also needs to stop, as this is what is commonly leading to the name calling and bad behavior.

There are a couple of long time posters who have been involved in trolling this forum recently and it is below their standards and is undignified to say the least.

If the individuals involved won't clean up their own acts, I would like the moderators to start giving time outs and banning posters until it does stop.

Thank you.Agreed. A couple of posters are consistently making guboards a not-very-pleasant place to be. For the most part, I have just tagged those posters with the ignore label, but they do their damage to the tenor of the discussion here anyway. I think that if the Mods see the same people consistently souring the mood on the board, they certainly should issue a couple of time outs.

MDABE80
01-10-2018, 09:39 PM
Agreed. A couple of posters are consistently making guboards a not-very-pleasant place to be. For the most part, I have just tagged those posters with the ignore label, but they do their damage to the tenor of the discussion here anyway. I think that if the Mods see the same people consistently souring the mood on the board, they certainly should issue a couple of time outs.

Nobody launches personal attacks. But I think that action should be defined. Here, we disagree on certain things but I don't know of a personal attacks. Some use data that's just flawed or just wrong. Going after the data or a faulty conclusion based on wrong data may not make you happy or may give you a sour mood but it's nobody's responsibility to keep you or anyone else from a sour mood. Mulitple people have multiple ideas on things. It would be most unfortunate to ban people ( like you tried with me) because you or anyone don't like their opinions.

Often times ( nearly all the time) people argue positions for good reasons......not just argue for argument's sake. Some do.....but it's quite obvious .
We do not need to benor should we be Polyannas. For those who aren't polyannas, I see no reason to bounce them. Keeping people honest isn't a bad idea even though it may add to "sour moods". Next stop is a return to burning books because some don't like the opinions in the books.

Personal attacks are wrong. I didn't think anyone does that anymore.

UberZagFan
01-10-2018, 09:41 PM

Thank you.

Agreed.

Zags11
01-10-2018, 10:10 PM
Go zags

TexasZagFan
01-11-2018, 03:47 AM
Go zags

Troll...:lmao:

RenoZag
01-11-2018, 04:42 AM
Nobody launches personal attacks. But I think that action should be defined. Here, we disagree on certain things but I don't know of a personal attacks. Some use data that's just flawed or just wrong. Going after the data or a faulty conclusion based on wrong data may not make you happy or may give you a sour mood but it's nobody's responsibility to keep you or anyone else from a sour mood. Mulitple people have multiple ideas on things. It would be most unfortunate to ban people ( like you tried with me) because you or anyone don't like their opinions.

Often times ( nearly all the time) people argue positions for good reasons......not just argue for argument's sake. Some do.....but it's quite obvious .
We do not need to benor should we be Polyannas. For those who aren't polyannas, I see no reason to bounce them. Keeping people honest isn't a bad idea even though it may add to "sour moods". Next stop is a return to burning books because some don't like the opinions in the books.

Personal attacks are wrong. I didn't think anyone does that anymore.

Does addressing another poster directly as "little man" and "a chump" qualify as a personal attack or is that just offering an opinion ? Does that count as keeping someone "honest" ?

Zagsker
01-11-2018, 05:29 AM
Well, if you would all just stop sucking at posting then we would not have this problem

Go Zags...

Bogozags
01-11-2018, 05:49 AM
We should follow these two Commandments:

(1) Love, honor and cherish your fellow Zags.

(2) Whether you agree or disagree with their posts, ALWAYS be respectful to your fellow poster - regardless of how wrong you think they might be. If you're confused, just refer back to the first Commandment!

zagdontzig
01-11-2018, 06:34 AM

Thank you.

As a regretful, former troll, I agree and support this post. If common decency isn't sufficient cause to merit civility, then at least have your fellow Zags' backs.

Reborn
01-11-2018, 06:43 AM
I've never thought about the idea of trolling, or that certain members of this forum are trolls. I don't like the concept though. As a teacher I see trolls in a classroom all the time, and they really can cause damage, and can be a detriment to the learning process for those who are in the classroom to learn. If there are trolls on these forums I do believe that they need to be dealt with outside the classroom. I would support having them experience a time out.

I totally support bloggers who criticize in a good way. Criticism is always a good thing for me. It's part of reality. I think the question to ask when criticizing is, "what is my motive?" If my motive is to hurt someone or to cause chaos in a thread, or even to cause chaos in this forum as a whole, than I do believe that that kind of criticism is wrong and the person who aims to hurt should spend time outside the forum thinking about his motives.

Personally, I don't recognize any trolls here on GUboards. But one of the lessons that I constantly work on in my personal life is NOT judging others. I did that for way too long in my life, and I like to think I am making progress on that in my personal life. I try to keep my focus on myself and looking at my motives. I leave the judgements to others. On this forum that would be the moderators. I also remember that I am not perfect and there will be times that I get off my path and do judge others and criticize them.....And when I do I need to be corrected or disciplined. If I can't discipline myself I need others to help me do that.

AS always Former1, thanks for an interesting thread. I haven't thought much about the idea of trolling. It's an interesting concept, and I enjoyed thinking about it. I do know that you would like to see this forum function in a certain way. I respect you for your effort. As you know, I mostly disagree with you because I have believed that you would like to get rid of all criticism here on the forum. And you know that I think criticism is good, when the motives are good. However, on this idea of trolling, I do agree with you and support you thoughts to discipline them.

Go Zags!!!

RenoZag
01-11-2018, 07:10 AM
Well, if you would all just stop sucking at posting then we would not have this problem

Go Zags...

:clap:

former1dog
01-11-2018, 07:11 AM
AS always Former1, thanks for an interesting thread. I haven't thought much about the idea of trolling. It's an interesting concept, and I enjoyed thinking about it. I do know that you would like to see this forum function in a certain way. I respect you for your effort. As you know, I mostly disagree with you because I have believed that you would like to get rid of all criticism here on the forum. And you know that I think criticism is good, when the motives are good. However, on this idea of trolling, I do agree with you and support you thoughts to discipline them.

Go Zags!!!

Reborn,

Such a thoughtful and well written response. Thanks!

One correction. I certainly don't want to get rid of all criticism. That just wipes out this board completely. I have been critical of players and coaches in the past and will be in the future. It won't take you very long reviewing my recent posts to see player and coaching criticism coming off of my keyboard, but I try to be respectful and keep an honest perspective in my critique's. I don't always succeed, but I try.

What I'm striving for in general is more civility specifically on the Men's Basketball forum. My selfish reason for this effort is that I' m finding it harder and harder to continue to visit this forum because of declining civility. I don't want to give up my GUBoards habit which is the reason for this thread and the other one I started this week.

I do think there is trollish behavior lately in this forum. I find it regrettable because the individuals that are involved in this behavior are ones I respect and have defended in the past. In fact there is some of that trollish behavior in this very thread. I hope the individual involved becomes more self aware and introspective before moderator action needs to take place. Although I have never met this individual, the long period of time in which I have interacted with them leads me to believe he is an upstanding citizen and highly respected professional in "real life".

God Bless

Reborn
01-11-2018, 07:38 AM
What I'm striving for in general is more civility specifically on the Men's Basketball forum. My selfish reason for this effort is that I' m finding it harder and harder to continue to visit this forum because of declining civility. I don't want to give up my GUBoards habit which is the reason for this thread and the other one I started this week. God Bless

Thanks for sharing what motivates you to do what you're doing. I understand it too. I think what you're saying is that the forum is being so negative that you don't feel like participating. Or maybe that the negativity is becoming down right rude. Rudeness or being offensive to other participants here is definitely something that needs to addressed by the moderators. Maybe sending these trolls private messages asking for change, and if that doesn't work than disciplining them. Your argument seems justified to me, and I support it. Let's make this a place that more and more people want to be a part of this community. Not less and less.

Go Zags and Go ZagNation

former1dog
01-11-2018, 07:41 AM
Thanks for sharing what motivates you to do what you're doing. I understand it too. I think what you're saying is that the forum is being so negative that you don't feel like participating. Or maybe that the negativity is becoming down right rude. Rudeness or being offensive to other participants here is definitely something that needs to addressed by the moderators. Maybe sending these trolls private messages asking for change, and if that doesn't work than disciplining them. Your argument seems justified to me, and I support it. Let's make this a place that more and more people want to be a part of this community. Not less and less.

Go Zags and Go ZagNation

It's awesome to be understood. Thanks Reborn. Enjoy the game tonight!

Reborn
01-11-2018, 07:46 AM
It's awesome to be understood. Thanks Reborn. Enjoy the game tonight!

Yeah. It is. Hahaha Sometimes we get lucky. hahahahahahahahah:lmao:

realtydog
01-11-2018, 07:47 AM
First world problems

former1dog
01-11-2018, 07:49 AM
BTW - If one needs to see the consequences to a forum due to lack of civility, one only need to visit Donscentral.com. They were always caustic from the top down. Now that forum is dying and being replaced.

former1dog
01-11-2018, 07:53 AM
First world problems

That is an interesting observation. My oldest son and I make jokes about first world problems pretty regularly.

You're correct of course. Pointing out that an internet forum discussing a game needs more civility isn't solving world hunger or saving refugees from the ravages of war. It is, however, something that we participants can do something about and I like solvable problems.

Birddog
01-11-2018, 08:29 AM
As a regretful, former troll, I agree and support this post. If common decency isn't sufficient cause to merit civility, then at least have your fellow Zags' backs.

And you must have been terrible at it. Lame wouldn't even begin to describe your trollness, in fact, I don't remember it at all, you were totally unremarkable and didn't even warrant the "ignore" feature!

gueastcoast
01-11-2018, 08:31 AM
We can disagree without being disagreeable.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/24/opinion/dying-art-of-disagreement.html?_r=0

CDC84
01-11-2018, 08:41 AM
There is one simple rule that would help ease some of the tension on this board, and that is to refrain from calling people names. "You must be an idiot to feel that way. "You are a self-righteous ####heel." "Hey stupid." "You're a total dork." You get the idea. It happens here too often. It's okay to disagree, but the moment you start calling people names, it's like adding gasoline to a flame war. No one is stupid just because they hold a particular opinion about a player that most people on the board might not share, for instance. You don't know the person you are addressing. For all you know they could head a company that is worth millions of bucks, or be a doctor that saves patient's lives. Not only is calling someone a bad name bad courtesy, it is an over-generalization of the person as a whole. Just something to think about.

TexasZagFan
01-11-2018, 08:46 AM

Go Zags...

You mean, like going off-topic to reminisce about an event in one’s past not even marginally related to the topic being discussed?

I’m going to have to clean up my act, then. Lol

TexasZagFan
01-11-2018, 08:49 AM
First world problems

Last time I checked, there are more ad hominems in a week than there are posts on other WCC boards...combined.

zagbeliever
01-11-2018, 08:58 AM
The little triangle with a exclamation point above the "reply to thread" prompt is used to "report post"...like personal attacks..like trolling.

I didn't know that. Thank you for sharing. Go ZAGS!

Reborn
01-11-2018, 09:05 AM
And you must have been terrible at it. Lame wouldn't even begin to describe your trollness, in fact, I don't remember it at all, you were totally unremarkable and didn't even warrant the "ignore" feature!

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

former1dog
01-11-2018, 09:13 AM
We can disagree without being disagreeable.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/24/opinion/dying-art-of-disagreement.html?_r=0

Outstanding. Thanks for sharing.

Birddog
01-11-2018, 09:32 AM
We could follow the advice of Dogbert and have the best of both worlds

http://dilbert.com/strip/2018-01-08
http://dilbert.com/strip/2018-01-09
http://dilbert.com/strip/2018-01-10
http://dilbert.com/strip/2018-01-11

cggonzaga
01-11-2018, 11:51 AM
For all you know they could head a company that is worth millions of bucks, or be a doctor that saves patient's lives.

Not sure what that matters. They can still be a$$hats :)

Ezag
01-11-2018, 02:20 PM
Sounds like every other sports message board I have every been a part of. That is just the nature of forums, especially relating to sports. Sports opinions bring out the best and worst in people. Sports fans are highly emotional at times and need to vent. Some do it the right way, others don't. GU board is actually quite tame compared to most sports forums. Whether I agree or not with any posters, I refuse to use the triangle.

former1dog
01-11-2018, 02:30 PM
Sounds like every other sports message board I have every been a part of.

Speaking for myself, I don't want to be like everyone else. It's an easy out, but thats about it.

Zagdawg
01-11-2018, 02:37 PM
Thanks for posting -- I agree that it makes sense to keep it civil. As has been posted before friends and family of players read this forum-- the response of some of our fans about the family member "they just need to have thicker skins" about what is said about their son/nephew/brother/grandson etc.

Having a valid and logical discussion around a specific player makes sense if it is backed up by facts. We have a couple of fans whose "eyeball test" trump all data/facts that is shared with them (usually related to a preconceived bias against a specific player).

Keeping it civil makes the board and the rest of the world a better place ---- time to turn that frown upside down.

ZagsGoZags
01-11-2018, 02:45 PM
Sounds like every other sports message board I have every been a part of. That is just the nature of forums, especially relating to sports. Sports opinions bring out the best and worst in people. Sports fans are highly emotional at times and need to vent. Some do it the right way, others don't. GU board is actually quite tame compared to most sports forums. Whether I agree or not with any posters, I refuse to use the triangle.

Gee, that is not true for me. When we played St. Johns a few years ago I looked on their board, and comments were frequently filled with attacks and inflammatory cuss words, worse than the usual f... or a..ho..e type words. army type cussing.
The UW Hardcore Husky Board is somewhat like that also. Maybe I am biased, but I find our board to be one of the classy and civilized ones I have experienced.

Zagceo
01-11-2018, 03:00 PM

made me laugh...instead of exclamation point should be red slash

Zags11
01-11-2018, 08:27 PM
Troll...:lmao:

;)

Mantua
01-11-2018, 10:17 PM
Gee, that is not true for me. When we played St. Johns a few years ago I looked on their board, and comments were frequently filled with attacks and inflammatory cuss words, worse than the usual f... or a..ho..e type words. army type cussing.
The UW Hardcore Husky Board is somewhat like that also. Maybe I am biased, but I find our board to be one of the classy and civilized ones I have experienced.

I appreciate all those who want to keep this board civil.

Zagger
01-12-2018, 04:41 AM
I appreciate all those who want to keep this board civil.

Ditto :)

Zagsker
01-12-2018, 05:33 AM
You mean, like going off-topic to reminisce about an event in one’s past not even marginally related to the topic being discussed?

And there I am in Sri Lanka, formerly Ceylon, at three o' clock in the morning, looking for one thousand brown M&M's to fill a brandy glass, or Ozzy wouldn't go on stage that night. So, Jeff Beck pops his head 'round the door and mentions there's a little sweetshop on the edge of town. So, we go, and - it's closed. So there's me, and Keith Moon, and David Crosby breaking into this little sweetshop right? Well, instead of a guard dog, they've got this bloody great big Bengal tiger. Well I managed to take out the tiger with a can of mace, but the shopowner and his son, that's a different story altogether... I had to beat them to death with their own shoes... Nasty business really... But sure enough, I got the M&M's and Ozzy went on stage and did a GREAT show.

D PRESTON

kitzbuel
01-12-2018, 06:45 AM

I didn't know that. Thank you for sharing. Go ZAGS!

I highly recommend that folks just click on the various buttons and icons on the forum. You won't break anything and you can find out about the various features that the site has. And if you end up accidentally posting something, well, you won't be anymore off topic that what TexasZagFan and Jazz get.

TexasZagFan
01-12-2018, 07:45 AM
I highly recommend that folks just click on the various buttons and icons on the forum. You won't break anything and you can find out about the various features that the site has. And if you end up accidentally posting something, well, you won't be anymore off topic that what TexasZagFan and Jazz get.

Now that I'm retired, I have plenty of time for more O/T posts, but I'm hardly in the same league as Zagsker...his was awesome.

Markburn1
01-12-2018, 09:20 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYJMtn6IJeE

Saccharin all around.

BobZag
01-12-2018, 10:23 AM

Thank you.

Simply emulating our wonderful example-setting leader.