PDA

View Full Version : Coach Rice's Comments at McRory's Lunch

Angelo Roncalli
10-26-2007, 12:45 PM
1. Battle in Seattle opponent next year will be UConn.

2. Pargo and Bouldin have taken big strides since last year. Expect more confidence and consistency from Matt. Jeremy and Pendo are the team leaders.

3. Sacre has shown some ability to bang on the inside. He loves to hit people and likes to post up. Sacre and Gray have progressed the quickest of the newcomers.

4. Through the first week of practice, Micah has been the best player in practice. He had his best practice as a Zag yesterday. He is now very comfortable in the offensive system.

5. LG has taken big strides and has been the best on-ball defender in practice.

6. No decision has been made on Will taking a redshirt; it's still up in the air.

7. The team will be a better rebounding group than the past couple of years.

8. Pendo is the best leader and hardest working player in the system since Leon has been with the program.

9. The team will be more flexible in style of play, able to get up and down or play knock down style when necessary.

10. St. Mary's will be the toughest competition in the conference.

gozagswoohoo
10-26-2007, 12:51 PM
THANK YOU for the report. If it were possible to be attracted to text, I would marry your last post.

former1dog
10-26-2007, 12:51 PM
Thanks for the report, Angelo. This is going to be another fun year.

Any word on Micah and whether he has managed to put a little more muscle on his frame or not?

ZagNative
10-26-2007, 12:54 PM
Wow! Lots of interesting stuff there.

3. Sacre has shown some ability to bang on the inside. He loves to hit people and likes to post up. Sacre and Gray have progressed the quickest of the newcomers.
I wonder about Ira! and Austin. Maybe it's a relative thing and Steven and Rob have just come further from where they started out? Good news, in any event.

cggonzaga
10-26-2007, 01:31 PM
4. Through the first week of practice, Micah has been the best player in practice. He had his best practice as a Zag yesterday. He is now very comfortable in the offensive system.

I'm hoping this is a "if I had to pick" type answer. I hope everyone is playing well.

ZagMan in Philly
10-26-2007, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the report Angelo, good reading.

Birddog
10-26-2007, 03:03 PM
If it were possible to be attracted to text, I would marry your last post.

Careful there Woohoo, unprotected text can have some dire consequences.

Birddog

Section 116
10-26-2007, 03:04 PM
Good stuff Angelo. Thanks. Everything I read elsewhere points to St Mary's as being the team likely to provide the stiffest in conference competition. UConn at the Battle in Seattle in 2008 should be the equal of Tennessee this year. Looking forward to that one. And regarding Micah, I recently heard from an acquaintance who has some good info on the program. Apparently at a recent practice Micah shot and made a three from the top of the key. He then took one step back and drained another. He continued to step back until he was at the half court line. He drained eight in a row and had the rest of the team roaring.

cggonzaga
10-26-2007, 03:26 PM

Classic! :lmao:

Rangerzag
10-26-2007, 03:33 PM
THANK YOU for the report. If it were possible to be attracted to text, I would marry your last post.

WooHoo, are you confusing Washington State with Utah? I don't think bigamy was ever legal here ;)

MickMick
10-26-2007, 03:43 PM
9. The team will be more flexible in style of play, able to get up and down or play knock down style when necessary.

Of all the points made, I believe this one is the most important come March. How well can the team adapt to different playstyles on short notice? Coach Rice just answered one of my biggest concerns.

ZagSlug
10-26-2007, 03:46 PM
I was hoping to hear more about defense but I guess that takes more time than offense to develop.

Hopefully we will have more than just LG playing on ball D.

LongIslandZagFan
10-26-2007, 04:00 PM

Birddog

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Might be the hardest laugh I have had in a long time. Thanks boys.

UberZagFan
10-26-2007, 04:17 PM
I was hoping to hear more about defense but I guess that takes more time than offense to develop.

Hopefully we will have more than just LG playing on ball D.

Uber was going to post the same thing but decided to read the replies first and what do you know, Slug beats him to the punch. So Uber will just quote his post and add rebounding margin and defensive efficiency must, Uber says, must improve.

mdZag23
10-26-2007, 04:32 PM
Coach Rice said that both are playing extremely well. In fact, he said that the the level of competition is tremendous and that everyone is playing at a very high level right now.

Especially Micah, who is "doing everything" extremely well this year. Last year they were just hoping his shots went down and that he could add a little D.

Ira, adjusting to the system. Told Coach Giacoletti that in JC he only had 1 play to run, 60+ in the Zag program. It's been a big adjustment for him.

Austin, super talented but has had problems being pushed around a bit. Coach Rice talked about how thin he is and that he has to develop.

He said that Sacre and Daye are the most ready to "contribute" now.

IrishZag
10-26-2007, 06:42 PM
8. Pendo is the best leader and hardest working player in the system since Leon has been with the program.

This is huge, personally I think the key to this year will be Pendo's leadership and ability to keep this very talented and young team in line.

Clearly we have the best talent that this Zag program has ever seen. However, great talent often brings egos, laziness, and other hazards to successful teams. I was really concerned about the program losing some of the great Zag characteristics with the influx of talent.

Pendo represents the perfect contrasting leadership style to pure talent. The guy is vocal, passionate, and plays balls out all the the time. Combined with the offensive skills he demonstrated at the end of last season, Pendo will have the legitimacy to be a top notch leader on and off the floor. With Pendo's leadership I am confident this Zag team will be in good hands for the next generation.

mdZag23
10-27-2007, 08:09 AM
For all of you that think Superman wears Pendo's Pajama's to bed....

Coach Rice was talking about how great a kid and how great a Zag he has been and said that the coaches "have had to limit his practice time because of how hard he plays all the time". They make him sit out of some drills to avoid wearing him out and further injury.

Also, he talked about the types of kids that they bring in and the recruiting that they do...and I know there are a lot of people on this board questioning them bringing in higher caliber athletes and "sacrificing" some of the integrity of the program...

Well that just ain't gonna happen. He spoke specifically about schools that just jump on recruits and try to sign them without doing ANY leg work. When asked how they approach it differently, he gave an example of the Houston kid who he watched 21 times this summer.

They do their homework, they have a plan, and BE SURE they are not going to jeopardize the integrity of YOUR school....or theirs for that fact. These are all high character kids..

tyra
10-28-2007, 08:18 AM

You mean it's not?! Wish someone would have told me that earlier before I had all these little serifs running around. :o

ZagNative
10-28-2007, 08:51 AM
You mean it's not?! Wish someone would have told me that earlier before I had all these little serifs running around. :o
;)