• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Reborn
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2007

I am finally getting over last's year's TEAM

It's taken me a long time to let the memories of last year's team begin to fade away, and allow the goodness of this year's team to step forward. I'm beginning to let all I loved about NWG to fade, and to let Josh Perkins be himself and to appreciate all he is doing for this team, as well as, to enjoy his talent and the good things he does. I feel the same for Mathews. I need to let his tremendous 3 point shooting just slip away into the future and let the tremendous shooters we have in Kispert and Norvell. The exact same things for Karno and Collins and all the great things and great memories they gave me. I WANT, and I need, TO STOP COMPARING THIS YEARS TEAM TO LAST YEARS, and let them be who they are.

Before the season began I knew we had a lot of talent and they proved it in the PK80. But then they had a few bumps in the road and I immediately began to compare them to last years team. That was a mistake, but certainlly understandable. It was a great team. However, I am noticing recently, in the last two away games, that I am beginning to see this Zag team and who they are. I am not seeing their talent in comparison to last year's team. Tille, Williams and Hatchimura are nothing like PK and Collins. Nothing. But they are now coming into their own and the team has been adjusting to a new style of play that I don't think we've ever seen Mark Few use. His team is pressing more, running more, and scoring more. He has post players looking like they are Magic Johnson bringing the ball up court full speed and making lay ups. The chemistry is improving as this team is learning to play together and to play off of each other.

Many fans who post here on GUboard believed that the way the team is playing now would be something really cool to seem and by George we're seeing it now. I think we now know that this team can score, but we are now in the WCC where it is easier. The focus now, I believe needs to be on the defensive end, and when this team wants to play great defense they have. It just seems that they are not able to play a full game on the D side. I see, week after week, several top ten and even more top 25 teams lose, and yet our Zags prevail. They're winning and while they do they are improving and gaining confidence. This team IS REALLY GOOD.

One last word on the WCC. It's totally fine with me to see us in the WCC. It has not hurt us in the past nor will it hurt us this year or in the future. It may not be a lot of fun to watch us kill teams week after week, but I accept it, and I think the team is beginning to accept it too.. The thing that the Zags need to do is slaughter teams if they can. Never let up again. Petal to Metal. I'm looking forward to the rest of the year and growing with this team. Actually, I've waited for a year or two to watch some of these guys play: like Norvell and Rui. They are playing now and now I want to watch them grow into stars. I heard so much about Kispert, and I was eager to see him play in a Zag uniform. He's from Washington, and all players from our state have a special place in my heart. He's playing now and doing great, He contributes every single game. He's a great shooter, a great rebounder and a good defender, He's tough. Washington tough. Like many Zags in the past who had a lot more players from Washington playing for GU. There is toughness built into the Zag genes from our wonderful state. And because I loved Pargo so much, I have long awaited the 2nd player from Chicago to put on a Zag uniform, And I love Norvell too.

I am glad I'm seeing the 2917-18 Gonzaga team emerge. They're coming into their own. I hope you can see it too. One thing to remember about this year's team. They started out very young, and in many ways they still are, and they've made many mistakes (and I've pointed them all out). They will get better and by the end of the year they will not be freshmen any longer. Most teasms in top 25 or 30 are going through the same growing pains as Gonzaga is. Knowing this has made me feel better. What does it mean? A couple of #8 rankings, one in Kenpom and one in BPI. That can possibly translate into a top 3 seed which in my opinion would be outstanding.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!
  • TexasZagFan
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

As usual, great post. I think I got over last year’s team in July, seeing Big D interact with Josh, Corey, Jesse, and Zach. This is his week with his Mom, which means he’ll be spending Thursday night with us, and I reckon we’ll do our first watch party of the year on Saturday night.

He loves it when I walk him to school, though I know it’s bound to be just a fond memory in a few years.

Comment

• Zagger
      Banned
      • Mar 2008

Great one Reborn

But they are now coming into their own and the team has been adjusting to a new style of play that I don't think we've ever seen Mark Few use. His team is pressing more, running more, and scoring more. He has post players looking like they are Magic Johnson bringing the ball up court full speed and making lay ups. The chemistry is improving as this team is learning to play together and to play off of each other.
      This! Synergy and chemistry. I think we've been discounting our 'ace in the hole' .... Few (and crew). Few, crew and team are finding ways to make the pieces fit into a Zag machine. It's fun watching that machine getting better tuned up game by game. They'll look rough at times as they experiment a bit but I'll bet they're firing on all cylinders by March.

Comment

• MontanaCoyote
        Zag for Life
        • Dec 2015

A fine and thoughtful post, reborn. I'm getting there, but I think a big part of the challenge, at least for me, is trying to leave behind the personal attachment one nurtures over the years for individual players. It's hard to let go of a team of you can't let go of a player or two on that team that, for what ever reason or reasons, captured your heart, maybe even your soul.

For me that player was Shem and it still takes me 3 or 4 minutes at the start of a game just to adjust to NOT seeing him out there in the paint. I just loved the man.

But I am close to seeing this year's team on it's own, and except for a Shem- like presence in the paint, I think they're coming along pretty darned well. Pulling for Larsen. There will never be another Przemek Karnowski, but if Larson develops
        into say, a Danish Dynamo by tourney time, I like our chances of we take care of the ball.

Comment

• zag67
          Zag for Life
          • Sep 2007

I agree with the people above. REBORN that is a great post. Many have trouble not comparing a national championship finalist to a young team that is learning. They expect all of the players to play like NWG, Mathews, Karnowski and Collins. There is 1 a lottery pick, one that is destroying the opposition over seas, and at least one more that is doing super over seas (I do not know about Mathews). These players that we have are learning how to work together (they have the potential and show it at times) and it only takes one of them to be in the wrong place and then the offensive or defensive play breaks down. I think that is also the reason that you see Few playing those players deeper into blowout games. They need the experience as a unit. I think all of us will be happy with the results.

Comment

• Reborn
            Zag for Life
            • Oct 2007

Thanks. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has had this problem. I'm glad I finally recognized it. I think I'm going to really enjoy this team a lot more now. The rest of the season will be much better for me.

The thing I had to recognize is that even though we have four players on this team who played on last years team, these players now have different roles. I think that so far this year the team, all of the players, has been going through a process of learning what their role is on THIS team. Take Hachimura for instance. He had a very small role on last year's team. I think more is expecting of him this year, and so far he has been trying to find out exactly what his role is. If you think it should be easy to do that, I believe you're wrong. It's really difficult. Watching Rui play has been a learning process for me, as I have seen that the transition is a process. Add to the mixture players like Norvell, Kispert, Larsen and Jones and you have five new guys trying to fit in with four vets.

I think we have some really great players on this team, and in general I believe we have more talent this year than last. And honestly, that can be a problem if it's not handled correctly. I think that that has been the challenge for Few and his assistants. How can they keep everyone happy? And yet be able to develop the chemistry and cohesiveness that a championship needs. The good news is that the best coaches know how to do this, and Mark Few and his staff are certainly among the best coaches in the country. Every team needs and every team has an identity. This hold true for this years team too, This year's team identity is NOT LAST YEAR'S. Last year is gone. It's a new team and their in the process of creating their identity. I'm beginning to see it, and it's looking good.

Go Zags!!!

Comment

• TexasZagFan
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Let’s face it, last year was a magical, historical journey.

We’ve seen a fair amount of magic this year, but the history of it is still being written. I’m optimistic that the rest of the journey is going to be historic.

Comment

• Reborn
                Zag for Life
                • Oct 2007

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post
                Let’s face it, last year was a magical, historical journey.

We’ve seen a fair amount of magic this year, but the history of it is still being written. I’m optimistic that the rest of the journey is going to be historic.
                What is so cool is that we didn't know that last year's team would end up in the championship game in the NCAA Tournament. That's the MAGIC OF BASKETBALL. Most all of the coaches say that you don't make it there without a little bit of luck. I'd say that UNC won the championship game with a little bit of luck. The cool thing about it is that it was the ride that was awesome.

That's why I'm going to focus on the journey and not the destination for the rest of the year. This year is not lacking in talent. That's a fact. And I really enjoy watching it whenever I see it being displayed on the court. The thing that I look for the most during a game is whether or not I am watching Gonzaga basketball. The Zags play the game a certain way, and there is a history of how they play. I will continue to look for that.

Go Zags!!!

Comment

• maynard g krebs
                  Zag for Life
                  • Sep 2009

I look at it as a bridge year, and a developmental year for 6-7 relatively inexperienced players. Anything beyond making the tourney and winning a game is gravy, based on preseason ranking. Last year's team was better, of course. In some ways I see this year's as more fun, if you like high flying acrobats, roller coasters and the occasional pratfall.

Comment

Working...
                  X