Top 25

South Florida @ #9 Wichita State 1:00pm CBSSN
#1 Michigan State @ Ohio State 1:30pm CBS
#24 Florida State @ #15 Miami 3:00pm ESPNU
SMU @ #19 Cinncinnati 3:00pm ESPN2
#4 Arizona St @ Utah 5:00pm ESPNU

Zagdawg
01-07-2018, 02:27 PM
Ohio State looking good against Michigan State 41-29 at the half.

Mantua
01-07-2018, 02:30 PM
Ohio State looking good against Michigan State 41-29 at the half.

Izzo must be creating a storm in the locker room right now.

NEC26
01-07-2018, 02:57 PM
Be great for us if Ohio State were to win this one.

23dpg
01-07-2018, 03:01 PM
Izzo must be creating a storm in the locker room right now.

Didn’t work. Ohio State up 63-40 now.

Zagdawg
01-07-2018, 03:18 PM
Ohio state leads 73-57 with 5 mins left

Section 116
01-07-2018, 03:27 PM
It's tough to win on the road!

Section 116
01-07-2018, 03:29 PM
Cincinnati up by 4 vs. SMU halfway through the first half on ESPN2. Miami up on Fla St first half on ESPNU!

Zagdawg
01-07-2018, 03:33 PM
Ohio state takes down #1 Michigan State

NEC26
01-07-2018, 03:34 PM
Wow! Buckeys going to win this one! This is huge for us. Especially if they can keep up this kind of play going forward.

ScrapironJim
01-07-2018, 03:35 PM
We beat OSU by 27 at PK80.

Zagceo
01-07-2018, 03:43 PM
MSU starts 4 sophomores and a freshmen....growing pains with this blow out loss on the road.

jazzdelmar
01-07-2018, 03:44 PM
We beat OSU by 27 at PK80.

Long time ago, Tommy.

Tommy DeVito: I said, no more shines. Maybe you didn't hear about it, you've been away a long time. They didn't go up there and tell you. I don't shine shoes anymore.

sittingon50
01-07-2018, 03:47 PM
Poor Ohio St.

They are now 4-0 in the Big 10. I understand some of the fan base is getting tired of the poundings they continue to give to the dregs of their conference & are looking for somewhere else to ply their trade.

gueastcoast
01-07-2018, 05:49 PM
Poor Ohio St.

They are now 4-0 in the Big 10. I understand some of the fan base is getting tired of the poundings they continue to give to the dregs of their conference & are looking for somewhere else to ply their trade.

:roll:

nicely done

CDC84
01-07-2018, 09:07 PM
Regarding the OSU win.....keep in mind the GU game was their 4th game (I think) with a brand new coach. Albeit a very good one. I really doubt GU would blow out the Buckeyes by 20+ if they faced each other in Houston or something like that.

23dpg
01-07-2018, 09:17 PM
The two worst teams I watched during the PK80 were Ohio State and Stanford.
Ohio State romps MSU and Stanford just completed the UCLA/USC sweep with a 60 footer at the buzzer after usc had taken a 2 point lead with 1.7 seconds left.
Amazing.

Zagdawg
01-07-2018, 09:38 PM
Way too early Gonzaga Opponents conference standings:

Creighton 2nd -- Big East
Ohio state 1st -- Big10
Washington 2nd --Pac12
Florida 1st ---SEC
Utah State-- 2nd --MWC
Texas Southern 1st --SWAC
Nova - 3rd --Big East

CDC84
01-08-2018, 01:22 AM
The two worst teams I watched during the PK80 were Ohio State and Stanford.
Ohio State romps MSU and Stanford just completed the UCLA/USC sweep with a 60 footer at the buzzer after usc had taken a 2 point lead with 1.7 seconds left.
Amazing.

It all goes to show you that there are no great teams in college basketball again this year. MSU looked like it could be one (especially when you consider they weren't prepared for Duke's zone early in the season), but this Ohio State loss just proves them to be one of the contenders at best.

To those who weren't around in the late 80's/early 90's, you would be stunned by how much better college basketball was back then and how many great teams there were. Of course there was no rookie salary cap at that time. Lottery picks stayed in school 3-4 years.

bartruff1
01-08-2018, 02:12 AM
If college basketball was better back then, it is the only thing was better...

GonzagasaurusFlex
01-08-2018, 04:06 AM
If college basketball was better back then, it is the only thing was better...

Not true; I would argue that men’s underwear was much better then too. It used to be easy to find 100% cotton underwear that was breathable, now all you find is 75/25 cotton/polyester blends that don’t breathe. A mere triviality to some perhaps but living hell for men who live in the humid South.

Birddog
01-08-2018, 04:43 AM
Not true; I would argue that men’s underwear was much better then too. It used to be easy to find 100% cotton underwear that was breathable, now all you find is 75/25 cotton/polyester blends that don’t breathe. A mere triviality to some perhaps but living hell for men who live in the humid South.

It's about time someone brought this up. This is an injustice that has been ignored for too long. And while we're at it, whose idea was it to take the labels off?

TexasZagFan
01-08-2018, 06:38 AM
It all goes to show you that there are no great teams in college basketball again this year. MSU looked like it could be one (especially when you consider they weren't prepared for Duke's zone early in the season), but this Ohio State loss just proves them to be one of the contenders at best.

To those who weren't around in the late 80's/early 90's, you would be stunned by how much better college basketball was back then and how many great teams there were. Of course there was no rookie salary cap at that time. Lottery picks stayed in school 3-4 years.

In the 80s, the WAC was damn tough from 1-7, with Air Force at the bottom. The formula for winning the league was win at home, win half of your road games. Consider UTEP, whose lineup featured Tim Hardaway, Greg Foster (Sr.), and Antonio Davis. Back then, even Wyoming sold out most of the time. Very few players left college early, and the NBA benefitted from more 21-22 YO men entering the league.

Now it’s just a damn video game, where only a handful of teams have a shot at a ring. I don’t tune in the NBA until after March Madness.

TexasZagFan
01-08-2018, 06:52 AM
Long time ago, Tommy.

Tommy DeVito: I said, no more shines. Maybe you didn't hear about it, you've been away a long time. They didn't go up there and tell you. I don't shine shoes anymore.

Nice Jersey Boys reference.

Anyone notice who hit the game winner for Stanford? Daejon Davis.

rennis
01-08-2018, 07:53 AM

Lululemon underbritches will change your life.

Also, thank you OSU.

jazzdelmar
01-08-2018, 08:02 AM
Nice Jersey Boys reference.

Goodfellas....same genre :)

bartruff1
01-08-2018, 08:47 AM
Why on earth would anyone live in the South ???

SLOZag
01-08-2018, 10:39 AM

Daejon wasn't the only player familiar to GU recruiting fans who had a big night at that game. Davis' game-saver came moments after USC"s "Jordan McLaughlin, who scored 16 points and recorded seven assists, had given the Trojans a 76-74 edge with 1.7 seconds left on an acrobatic shot under the basket." And Stanford's high scorer was "Reid Travis, [who] scored 18 of his career-high 29 points in the second half for the Cardinal, who were coming off a double-overtime victory over UCLA."

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2018-01-08/watch-stanfords-daejon-davis-drain-dramatic-50-foot-buzzer

seacatfan
01-08-2018, 10:47 AM

I said something similar in another thread. We're in a watered down era of college basketball. It's been that way for a while.

WallaWallaZag
01-08-2018, 10:56 AM
I said something similar in another thread. We're in a watered down era of college basketball. It's been that way for a while.

i would suggest this benefits programs like gonzaga, and anyone who doesn't consistently get the 5 star guys...

seacatfan
01-08-2018, 11:20 AM
i would suggest this benefits programs like gonzaga, and anyone who doesn't consistently get the 5 star guys...

agreed

Strangely it's benefited North Carolina recently. Back to back Finals appearances w/ one Championship. They aren't getting one and done caliber players (w/ the exception of the first big off the bench last year, similar to Collins for GU), but plenty of guys that are good players that are hanging around for 3 or 4 years.

TexasZagFan
01-08-2018, 11:23 AM
agreed

Strangely it's benefited North Carolina recently. Back to back Finals appearances w/ one Championship. They aren't getting one and done caliber players (w/ the exception of the first big off the bench last year, similar to Collins for GU), but plenty of guys that are good players that are hanging around for 3 or 4 years.

I think the potential for NCAA penalties at UNC was effectively used by other teams. Now that's over, I think UNC will be getting more one and dones in the next year or so.

seacatfan
01-08-2018, 11:28 AM
I think the potential for NCAA penalties at UNC was effectively used by other teams. Now that's over, I think UNC will be getting more one and dones in the next year or so.

True enough. Although one and doners could've got in and got out before any sanctions were handed down, that was hanging over their head for years. What does it say about the kids that chose to come to UNC and stay around? A few of them were McD AA's.

rennis
01-08-2018, 12:35 PM

Maybe. Or maybe, on the level, college basketball is much better than it was 20+ years ago, there just isn't the elite separation and dominance of the blue bloods with future NBA Hall of Famers putting in 3-4 years.

I would say the teams outside the Top 25 are much better in this era

sittingon50
01-08-2018, 01:20 PM
You guys wear underwear?

Birddog
01-08-2018, 04:07 PM
You guys wear underwear?

Yep, it helps me conceal my Depends.

seacatfan
01-08-2018, 05:06 PM
Maybe. Or maybe, on the level, college basketball is much better than it was 20+ years ago, there just isn't the elite separation and dominance of the blue bloods with future NBA Hall of Famers putting in 3-4 years.

I would say the teams outside the Top 25 are much better in this era

That may be. It was a very different landscape 20 or more years ago. I don't know when the phrase "mid major" became so commonly used. I don't think anybody used that term in the 80's. You had teams like Louisville, Memphis, UNLV, probably several others that were really good, that were outside what emerged as the later termed BCS/Power 5 conferences.

seacatfan
01-08-2018, 05:40 PM
Houston and Georgetown were a couple other schools that rose to be powerhouses in the 80's that weren't bluebloods. The old SWC was pretty good before part of it merged w/ the Big 8, Houston has gotten left behind. The original Big East kinda came from nowhere to become the epicenter of college hoops for a while.

seacatfan
01-08-2018, 05:42 PM
This is way OT now, but remembering the good ol' days of the 80's just makes me bitter again how college football has driven the bus on consolidation and merges of conferences and largely ruined college sports as we used to know it.

raise the zag
01-08-2018, 06:17 PM
Daejon wasn't the only player familiar to GU recruiting fans who had a big night at that game. Davis' game-saver came moments after USC"s "Jordan McLaughlin, who scored 16 points and recorded seven assists, had given the Trojans a 76-74 edge with 1.7 seconds left on an acrobatic shot under the basket." And Stanford's high scorer was "Reid Travis, [who] scored 18 of his career-high 29 points in the second half for the Cardinal, who were coming off a double-overtime victory over UCLA."

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2018-01-08/watch-stanfords-daejon-davis-drain-dramatic-50-foot-buzzer

Seriously, when is Reid gonna transfer to us?

He has already rec his degree via stanford...only a junior.

Does he go Pro, or at least try to (tweener in NBA), or find a program who will give him a chance at NCAA Tourney and a bigger stage? Even our LMU games get more views and better platform than 90% of Furd games.

jazzdelmar
01-08-2018, 06:27 PM
Seriously, when is Reid gonna transfer to us?

He has already rec his degree via stanford...only a junior.

Does he go Pro, or at least try to (tweener in NBA), or find a program who will give him a chance at NCAA Tourney and a bigger stage? Even our LMU games get more views and better platform than 90% of Furd games.

The best of both worlds, a Stanford degree and a Gonzaga basketball education.

seacatfan
01-08-2018, 06:48 PM
It seems like Travis has been there a lot longer to me for some reason. Apparently he was in the same class w/ Dorian Pickens (another guy GU was interested in at one point IIRC).