PDA

View Full Version : Emergence of Rui Hachmura

GrizZAG
01-07-2018, 07:53 AM
http://websitesboise.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Projectionholographique1.mp4?_=1

bballbeachbum
01-07-2018, 08:39 AM
http://websitesboise.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Projectionholographique1.mp4?_=1

lol

he has been fun to watch grow into himself, playing with so much more confidence. at one point last night after missing a D assignment, Few went off on him right then and there, and Rui nodded his head, copped to it, kept playing. very cool!
still hope to see him start dropping the 3s when he's open, hope to see his confidence grow with that shot. seems like he doesn't really even look at the basket from out there right now
interested to see him against other matchups too, how he handles a P5 matchup now

ZagMan in Philly
01-07-2018, 10:47 AM
He is letting the game come to him.
My favorite play last night was the coast to coast move, and the Ice Man finger roll. He is fun to watch.
The high low play with JW is working nicely.

WallaWallaZag
01-07-2018, 10:54 AM
overall progress is impressive, though the perimeter shooting has been a little disappointing considering how well he shot during fiba...maybe still a confidence issue there...

ZagsGoZags
01-07-2018, 11:32 AM
its my impression Rui does not have the green light to take threes, and is still focusing on team play and looking for passes, in order to play the process Few is trying to teach him. I am sure its ok if shot clock is running down. Rui reminds me of a freshman tennis player who joined the team and had excellent basic strokes and footwork but hit everything so hard he was easy to beat. The next year he was #1 and going away. Rui is the explosion waiting to happen and we are witnessing the beginning of the uplift, IMO.

tyra
01-07-2018, 11:39 AM
Watching Rui, Snacks and Jacob progress has made this season worthwhile all in itself. Rui’s growth is beyond what I could have hoped for. Still a ways to go but there is no longer any doubt about this young man. He has NBA written all over him. His movement away from the ball, his passing and his positioning on rebounds is exploding. And he’s not asking threes because Coach doesn’t want him to — yet. He’s showing so much stuff, I’m frankly worried about him going out at the end of this year.

SunDevilGolfZag
01-07-2018, 11:56 AM
The video is a nice analogy. Good find by the OP

JPtheBeasta
01-07-2018, 12:42 PM
Watching Rui, Snacks and Jacob progress has made this season worthwhile all in itself. Rui’s growth is beyond what I could have hoped for. Still a ways to go but there is no longer any doubt about this young man. He has NBA written all over him. His movement away from the ball, his passing and his positioning on rebounds is exploding. And he’s not asking threes because Coach doesn’t want him to — yet. He’s showing so much stuff, I’m frankly worried about him going out at the end of this year.

+1

What is the Japanese word for wunderkind?

zagsfanforlife
01-07-2018, 01:59 PM
My dad chatted with Rui last night after the game... said he was a very personable kid and his english sounded pretty good. My dad told him how much him and i enjoyed being able to see the zags in person at the final four last year, and he asked him how many years before we see the zags again in the final four and Rui replied "2 months". Love it!

TexasZagFan
01-07-2018, 02:22 PM
+1

Don’t know, but I’m pretty sure the German word for wunderkind is “wunderkind”. ;)

Skimhvn
01-07-2018, 02:26 PM
+1

神童. (pronounce:Shindou ) 

jazzdelmar
01-07-2018, 03:57 PM
Rui is must see TV.

MontanaCoyote
01-07-2018, 04:50 PM

How'd You Do Dat?!

JPtheBeasta
01-07-2018, 08:36 PM
Don’t know, but I’m pretty sure the German word for wunderkind is “wunderkind”. ;)

Did your time in Germany help you with this one?

JPtheBeasta
01-07-2018, 08:37 PM

TexasZagFan
01-08-2018, 06:46 AM
Did your time in Germany help you with this one?

Damn straight! Lol

bartruff1
01-08-2018, 08:53 AM
As Tex remarked...... Rui is Baylor like ....a truly remarkable athlete ....but if he wants to play in the NBA, I think he has to prove that he can defend anyone and shoot the three at a respectable percentage.....my view is that he will play in Japan....

The theory that if he will be drafted to play in the NBA because he would capture a huge Japanese consumer market..... assumes that he would be a all star ......and that there is a huge consumer market for American products in Japan....

I am under the impression that baseball is huge in Japan....if anyone was marketable in that regard..... it would have been Ichiro ....so I am sure that the people that invest hundreds of millions will know what is likely to happen...

gonstu
01-08-2018, 09:31 AM
Rui is must see TV.

what if it's against wcc competition though?

kitzbuel
01-08-2018, 09:37 AM
He is letting the game come to him.
My favorite play last night was the coast to coast move, and the Ice Man finger roll. He is fun to watch.
The high low play with JW is working nicely.Ditto.

He is no doubt learning to pick his spots to explode like that. He caught LMU in transition and out of position and exploited it.

He was the one player I was most apprehensive about in the preseason. I am happily surprised to see him excel. Bodes well for the team.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Zagger
01-08-2018, 04:42 PM
That was a great vid :) Thanks!
Rui is a goodly part why my Zags/Pilots score prediction is so lopsided for the Zags. Few commented that Rui was coming along fine in the Mark Few show last night. He's sure fun to watch in person. Love his grin! Warms the heart. Got a feeling we'll be seeing that grin lots more this season.

ZagMan in Philly
01-09-2018, 05:24 AM
My dad chatted with Rui last night after the game... said he was a very personable kid and his english sounded pretty good. My dad told him how much him and i enjoyed being able to see the zags in person at the final four last year, and he asked him how many years before we see the zags again in the final four and Rui replied "2 months". Love it!

I Love his answer too. Confident young man. Go Rui.

jazzdelmar
01-09-2018, 06:36 AM

Honestly, the only thing worth watching.

gonstu
01-09-2018, 09:14 AM
Honestly, the only thing worth watching.

lol you are too much

TexasZagFan
01-09-2018, 09:29 AM

It's much more interesting to watch than Big Ten hoops, and ESPN is in agreement.

http://www.espn.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/120537/michigan-states-loss-highlights-the-big-ten-is-a-mess-and-boring

BULLDOG#1
01-12-2018, 11:52 AM
It's worth reiterating how solid Rui has been in WCC play.

He is really coming into his own. I cannot believe the adjustments and improvement he's made during the season.

I'd like to see what he could do with more minutes.

kitzbuel
01-12-2018, 02:49 PM
When does Rui just put Rui on the back of his jersey?

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

zagsfanforlife
01-12-2018, 04:35 PM
Seems like every year i am hoping and praying that one guy returns 1 more season and doesnt go pro because a return to college would just mean total dominance. Last year it was Zach Collins-- didnt happen. The year before Sabonis--- didnt happen. This year it will be RUI. The potential for him in his junior year is just so great. You can see he is no longer hesitant and is really making the right and smart basketball plays. Not forcing anything like he had before, and showing he can be one of the better players not just in garbage time but against legit NCAA starters as well.

His junior year he would be THE MAN. Along with Zach, Kispert, Josh, Clarke.. man... if Rui Returns i am saying final four. If both him and tillie return-- i will be dissapointed with anything less than a NC appearance.

Sound Voltex
01-12-2018, 09:37 PM
For Diabate, it was nothing nearly that smooth – but it’s that kind of year. Portland’s lack of size all but forced him into the starting lineup early and he was overwhelmed in the PK80 tournament against teams like North Carolina. He responded last weekend with games of 13 and 15 points against San Diego and Santa Clara, but his hard work in 31 minutes Thursday produced just two points and five rebounds – and a lesson.

“They crash the boards,” he said of the Zags. “If we’re going to think about beating Gonzaga, we’re going to have to work more on boxing out after the shot because they got too many offensive rebounds.”

But to see a familiar face in the postgame handshake line some 5,000 miles from home might have been a little salve.

A native of Mali, Diabate’s lived with his family in France and the Canary Islands, as well, and is sort of Portland’s answer to Ronny Turiaf – speaking five languages (Bambara, English, Spanish, French and Japanese) and being something of a social magnet.

He and Hachimura were a year apart in high school – Rui winning three straight Japan high school championships with Meisei in the Tohoku region, Diabate averaging 31 points a game – and 101 in one – for Teikyo Nagaoka in the Niigata prefecture maybe three hours away. They played against each other a couple of times before Hachimura left for GU – and Diabate said his game hasn’t changed much.

“I wasn’t surprised to see him out there driving and pump faking and doing all his stuff,” Diabate said. “But he’s built a better body. He’s gotten stronger.”

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/jan/11/john-blanchette-rui-hachimura-finds-friendly-face-/#/0

Not to downplay Rui's skills or anything as I honestly think he's made tremendous strides this season, but I couldn't help but chuckle a bit at Diabate's "his game hasn't changed much, wasn't surprised here" statements in contrast to the usual comments I see about him. Then again, he's faced Rui multiple times in high school so he was obviously familiar with him even before he became a Zag.

I think we now have a secret weapon to stopping Rui. :p