PDA

View Full Version : Post game analysis Gonzaga vs LMU

Reborn
01-06-2018, 08:38 PM
Gonzaga 85
Lmppu 66

JW3 with 30 points. He dominated the way he did against Florida. Our post players are playing good. Tillie got 28 last night. Hachimura scored 11 tonight, Kispert 8 but neither played much the second half. I thought Mark Few coached a really weird game. He hardly played the bench players at all the second half and he left his starters in for the last 8 minutes where they got their asses kicked. What a horrible ending to a pretty good game. Zag starters acted like they didn't even want to play. I sure don't understand Few this year. I really don't like watching the starters play. Especially Melson this year. When he was in Zags looked lousey. Few hardly played Larsen at all tonight and Wade didn't see the court at all, He did play Jones, who by the way looked like he had been sleeping on the bench Prior to going into the game because he did absolutely nothing on the court.

Perkins played his best game this year. I hope he's learning. He looked like a point guard tonight. I love the Zags when Rui and Kispert are in with Norvell at the other guard. I did see Rui playing the 3 tonight. That was cool. Thanks to the very sloppy play in the second half the Zags didn't reach 90. They really should have. Zags were only up by 5 at the half as the starters once again let LMU back into the game the last 4 minutes of the first half. It's about time Mark Few wakes up, imo.

Zagdawg
01-06-2018, 08:41 PM
19 point win on the road..... I'll take it..... BYU is wishing they had our night.

RenoZag
01-06-2018, 08:56 PM
19 point win on the road..... I'll take it..... BYU is wishing they had our night.

QFT

Zags11
01-06-2018, 08:59 PM
Another cake walk. Another good win. Crazy how most have come to expect zags to dominate. Perkins and JW3!

Thanks to sec116, Perkins first zag since 09 with 10+ assists.

23dpg
01-06-2018, 09:02 PM
I wonder if JWill set a record with 7 dunks tonight.

Zagceo
01-06-2018, 09:06 PM
Another cake walk. Another good win. Crazy how most have come to expect zags to dominate. Perkins and JW3!

Thanks to sec116, Perkins first zag since 09 with 10+ assists.

Yeh real crazy talk...:lmao:

MDABE80
01-06-2018, 09:25 PM
A decent game. J3 was superior. Josh did fine. Easy team to beat. More like a scrimmage. Can't fault winning. Next week some easier games as well. We should look good against these lower tier teams. I hope we're getting a ot out of thee type games. I do think USD, SMC and BYU will be far more difficult. For tonight though, we got the "V" despite not seriously being challenged. Haney went wild from 3. 22 pts too.
I wonder how we're coming along as a "team". Rui's improving, Corey's getting better . Larsen didn't get much in the way of minutes. Norvell was decent. Overall though,, did the team look better than a few games ago? Most games in the past, we have a star performance or two.

GU LMU
FG% 56% 40%
FGs 34-61 26-65
3FG% 40% 39%
3FGs 8-20 9-23
FT% 64% 71%
FTs 9-14 5-7
TOs 12 12
PtsOffTO 15 16
TotReb 39 32
DefReb 31 23
Off Reb 8 9
2ndChPts 14 10
BenchPts 19 17
PtsPaint 48 26
FstBkPt 4 11
Blocks 8 2
Steals 3 8
Assts 19 16
Times Tied: 0
Time Tied: 0:15
Lead Chg: 5

Zags11
01-07-2018, 01:20 AM
Yeh real crazy talk...:lmao:

It is crazy. We used to not have sell outs and winning seasons and post season. Now we better go 30-3 and make the second weekend or it was a bust.

jazzdelmar
01-07-2018, 03:16 AM
It is crazy. We used to not have sell outs and winning seasons and post season. Now we better go 30-3 and make the second weekend or it was a bust.

So?

TexasZagFan
01-07-2018, 04:37 AM

That view is held by those who are like Dukies: they see the season as a destination, not a journey. For me, this year’s journey began in July. Seeing how these young men interacted with campers and others was heartwarming. More than ever, I think of them as family.

They are celebrities in Spokane, but you’d never know it when they’re talking with the youngsters that idolize them.

They’re fine young men, all of them. Sure, I point out mistakes like everyone does on these threads. I’m confident that a mere few really care about what I say...lol. I’m merely an alum that is a fan.

I felt the same way about a platoon I led in Germany. Three of my four squad leaders were corporals. They worked their tails off to make up for their inexperience. At the ripe old age of 23, I was a seasoned veteran compared to them. Despite our youth, we were the only platoon to pass our tac evals.

Just as I was not surprised at my platoon’s success, I will not be surprised if/when we make another deep run in March. I’m hard pressed to think of another team whose backcourt is 7-2 in the last two Dances.

At least half the team experienced playing before 70,000 fans in Phoenix last year. I can’t imagine they’ll be intimidated at McKeon or Provo, let alone the smaller arenas in the WCC.

Zags11
01-07-2018, 04:40 AM
So?

Its just crazy how advanced the program has become. Nothing less, nothing more.

Zags11
01-07-2018, 04:41 AM
That view is held by those who are like Dukies: they see the season as a destination, not a journey. For me, this year’s journey began in July. Seeing how these young men interacted with campers and others was heartwarming. More than ever, I think of them as family.

They are celebrities in Spokane, but you’d never know it when they’re talking with the youngsters that idolize them.

They’re fine young men, all of them. Sure, I point out mistakes like everyone does on these threads. I’m confident that a mere few really care about what I say...lol. I’m merely an alum that is a fan.

I felt the same way about a platoon I led in Germany. Three of my four squad leaders were corporals. They worked their tails off to make up for their inexperience. At the ripe old age of 23, I was a seasoned veteran compared to them. Despite our youth, we were the only platoon to pass our tac evals.

Just as I was not surprised at my platoon’s success, I will not be surprised if/when we make another deep run in March. I’m hard pressed to think of another team whose backcourt is 7-2 in the last two Dances.

At least half the team experienced playing before 70,000 fans in Phoenix last year. I can’t imagine they’ll be intimidated at McKeon or Provo, let alone the smaller arenas in the WCC.

The same. When I was younger I enjoyed march madness the most. When the zags started making march, I would still wish I could get to march. I slow it down now. I'm sure age helps. :)

TexasZagFan
01-07-2018, 05:19 AM
The same. When I was younger I enjoyed march madness the most. When the zags started making march, I would still wish I could get to march. I slow it down now. I'm sure age helps. :)

Age does help, I think it can broaden one’s perspective. My perspective also comes from my years at GU, some 25 years before we caught lightning.

GonzagasaurusFlex
01-07-2018, 05:41 AM
Few going with basically a 7 man rotation vs LMU (Larsen w 5 minutes; Jones 2). I don’t understand that. Great to see JWIII dominate but what are Zags doing to address the team’s weaknesses that were exposed by higher level competition in pre-conference schedule?

Beating the dregs of the WCC with a 7 man rotation isn’t going to help this team improve and prep for postseason play imho. Is Larsen’s knee fully healed? If so, he needs to be getting 15-20 mpg. Perkins plays 35 minutes vs dregs of WCC. How does this help team prepare for big game(s) when Perkins needs to sit due to foul trouble? Is Wade not healthy enough to play 7-10 mpg and gain some experience?

VaBeachZAG
01-07-2018, 06:52 AM
[QUOTE Is Larsen’s knee fully healed? If so, he needs to be getting 15-20 mpg.[/QUOTE]

Larson's knee looked pretty darn good to me when he made that half court sprint to catch the LMU player going for a layup.

RenoZag
01-07-2018, 07:14 AM
Jim Meehan's Game Story: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/jan/06/analysis-johnathan-williams-dominates-inside-leads/#/0

It wasn’t all Williams at the offensive end for the Zags. Perkins had 12 points and 10 assists, the most assists by a Zag since Matt Bouldin’s 10 versus Pepperdine in January 2009.

Zach Norvell Jr. scored 12 points and Hachimura added 11 points, five rebounds and two assists in just 18 minutes. The Zags shot 55.7 percent from the field, including 40 percent beyond the 3-point arc. Killian Tillie had three of GU’s eight blocked shots.

“The second half we did a great job with transition defense and we were really efficient on the offensive end and took away their 3s,” Few said.

Vince Grippi's feature addresses GU dominance of the LA area schools: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/jan/06/tv-take-even-experts-cant-completely-fathom-gonzag/

In his 19 seasons, Few’s Zags have played 80 times against Pepperdine and Saturday night’s opponent, Loyola Marymount. They have won 75.

and Josh Perkins' defensive play on Haney

The Lions’ momentum disappeared coming out of the locker room, courtesy of a 17-0 Gonzaga run to start the second half. LMU did not score for 5 minutes, 23 seconds.

Why?

Let’s give Perkins another assist. Throughout the latter part of the first half, Few implored his players not to leave Haney. And yet they did, as he connected on five 3-point shots.

To start the second, Few asked Perkins to guard LMU’s senior. As the other Zags played their regular defense, Perkins stayed glued to Haney, not letting him get even a catch, let alone a shot. As Gonzaga made its game-deciding run, the LMU offense stagnated. A big part was Perkins’ play.

bballbeachbum
01-07-2018, 07:46 AM
wow, 75 out 80 in 19 years, brutal

bballbeachbum
01-07-2018, 07:52 AM
this team is sharing the basketball nicely, looks like they're all into it, aware to pass up a good shot for a better one for a teammate.
longer more athletic opponents will bring challenges to that they didn't see last night, but it's fun to watch this team's share-the-ball mentality. no wonder so many averaging double figures
LMU did not double the post and got creamed for it last night

Reborn
01-07-2018, 08:22 AM
this team is sharing the basketball nicely, looks like they're all into it, aware to pass up a good shot for a better one for a teammate.
longer more athletic opponents will bring challenges to that they didn't see last night, but it's fun to watch this team's share-the-ball mentality. no wonder so many averaging double figures
LMU did not double the post and got creamed for it last night

The chemistry on the court is looking better. We are now getting the ball to the HOT players. I'm seeing that Few, his staff and his players are beginning to figure out the best way to play together, I am seeing less traditional play in the low blocks, and more sets with our playing on the outside, especially Tillie. He now lining up on offensive set on the outside and in the right corner. He is a great outside shooter. He also sets up like a point guard on the outside middle. He drains 3's from there also. JW3 seems to have lost his outside shot but he continues to shoot them. Maybe he'll be hitting some soon. At least his defenders have to guard him out there. This team is beginning to remind me somewhat of the 2013 team when Kelly Olynyk and Harris were our post players. Obviously this team is deeper and has much better bench play in the posts. Rui does remind me of Elias Harris, who first brought the Euro step to college basketball.

Go Zags!!!

bartruff1
01-07-2018, 08:25 AM
wow, 75 out 80 in 19 years, brutal

Few is a " Very stable genius " .

MileHigh
01-07-2018, 08:33 AM
[QUOTE Is Larsenís knee fully healed? If so, he needs to be getting 15-20 mpg.

That hustle play by Larson chasing down that guard was outstanding and prevented a bucket. Adrian Branch (color analyst) was, as usual, too busy talking about himself, to point this out on air.

I find Branch really annoying

Reborn
01-07-2018, 08:43 AM
I can't get over how good Josh played last night. It really was awesome. I only hope he has learned something. Hopefully, he's learning how good he can be. Yes! He was attacking the basket last night and driving inside the lanes. I'm wondering if he's been reading this posts on this forum. ha ha ha The one I noticed is that he's keeping his dribble going much longer before he picks the ball up. I think he scored on 2 or 3 layups, in order to quiet us all down here on GUboards. hahaha Consistency Josh. Please!!!

bballbeachbum
01-07-2018, 08:45 AM
The chemistry on the court is looking better. We are now getting the ball to the HOT players. I'm seeing that Few, his staff and his players are beginning to figure out the best way to play together, I am seeing less traditional play in the low blocks, and more sets with our playing on the outside, especially Tillie. He now lining up on offensive set on the outside and in the right corner. He is a great outside shooter. He also sets up like a point guard on the outside middle. He drains 3's from there also. JW3 seems to have lost his outside shot but he continues to shoot them. Maybe he'll be hitting some soon. At least his defenders have to guard him out there. This team is beginning to remind me somewhat of the 2013 team when Kelly Olynyk and Harris were our post players. Obviously this team is deeper and has much better bench play in the posts. Rui does remind me of Elias Harris, who first brought the Euro step to college basketball.

Go Zags!!!

them growing together as the season wears on makes sense, right? all the new faces, the young faces, stepping into key roles, everyone having to learn who this team is as the season wears on and who each individual is in this new look team with so many fundamental changes after the Karno era in general and specifically after losing so many key players from the FF team.

I can see some E in Rui, but JIII reminds me more of E! undersized left-handed post player with some perimeter ability, ferocious attitude

MileHigh
01-07-2018, 09:01 AM
I'm wondering if he's been reading this posts on this forum. ha ha ha!

I can tell you for a fact that most of the players don't pay any attention to this forum other than for comic relief as they pretty much look at us as a bunch of non-athletic jock sniffers that dont know a pick and roll from a a dinner roll...haha.

former1dog
01-07-2018, 09:02 AM
I can tell you for a fact that most of the players don't pay any attention to this forum other than for comic relief as they pretty much look at us as a bunch of non-athletic jock sniffers that dont know a pick and roll from a a dinner roll...haha.

Thank God!

Hoopaholic
01-07-2018, 09:02 AM

theres a difference....I use the pick and roll to get the dinner roll out of my teeth...:adored:

WallaWallaZag
01-07-2018, 09:09 AM
[QUOTE Is Larsen’s knee fully healed? If so, he needs to be getting 15-20 mpg.

Larson's knee looked pretty darn good to me when he made that half court sprint to catch the LMU player going for a layup.[/QUOTE]

larsen had 3 turnovers in less than 5 minutes and struggled going up against a guy his own size...i would have played him more just for the experience, but few either wanted to make a point or was working on some things with the starters.

Birddog
01-07-2018, 09:11 AM
I find Branch really annoying
So do i, but he's better than Walton. BTW, did you know that Branch can still shoot the rock, he's 54, and that he played for the Lakers?

MileHigh
01-07-2018, 09:19 AM
So do i, but he's better than Walton. BTW, did you know that Branch can still shoot the rock, he's 54, and that he played for the Lakers?

and he can still touch the rim, gives motivational talks to high school students, and most importantly played for the Lakers...haha...

bballbeachbum
01-07-2018, 09:20 AM
Thank God!

:cheers: