• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Section 116
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Post game radio GU-LMU

Hudson and Morrison: Zags win 85-66. Bulldogs race out to a double figure lead in the first half but LMU went on a run to make the first half close. JW3 into 30 points for second time this year with 30 points. Perkins first Zag with 10 assist in a game since Bouldin in 2009. Scoring tonight game from bigs and guards. Perkins controlled the flow of the game with only one turnover. Other GU double figure scorers Norvell and Perk with 12, Rui with 11. Zags 55% from the floor, 40% from three: 8-20. Bulldogs pick up 17th straight over LMU. GU took the lead in the first half at 16-14 and never trailed after that. Rui's end to end in the first half gave GU their first double digit lead. GU comes out of the locker room in the second half with a purpose, go on a 17-0 run. The focus in the second half was on Haney on the perimeter who had the big first half for LMU. JW3 had 7 dunks tonight, tip dunks, post moves, most everything was working for him tonight. Norvell just missed a double double with 12 and nine.

Donnie Daniels: JW3 started early and finished late, 30 and 10 is a big time grown man performance. The 17-0 run to start the second was big because LMU had some belief going into the locker room at the end of the half. They have very good shooters, we have seen Haneys stuff before and McClendon we warned out guys about them. It's a good evening if you shoot 55% on the road. Haney wasn't the same guy in the second half, I don't know if Silas took him out of it or Haney took himself out. Maybe they didn't look for him as much in the second but he was not the same guy as the first half. 4-0 is 4-0 in the WCC, but we just have to build from this. We have Portland coming in Thursday night and they will be a well coached team. Our students are not back yet so we will have to generate our own energy again.

Hudson again: Jw3's fifth double double this season. Haney leads LMU with 22, LMU only 40% from the field. Haney had 18 in the first half but he did not score again until there was 2 1/2 minutes left in the game. Kudos to Silas for really holding him down in the second. That's it for the radio tonight!
  • Sarenyon
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Thanks Section, you may want to edit the 5th sentence. 1 TO, not 1 assist.
    GO ZAGS!!!

Comment

• Section 116
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Done Sarenyon, my fingers and my mind apparently were not on the same page!

Comment

• MDABE80
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Silas plays the best defense! Silas stopped Haney's 3 of barage! Another
        Great report 116! Thanks

"Haney wasn't the same guy in the second half, I don't know if Silas took him out of it or Haney took himself out. Maybe they didn't look for him as much in the second but he was not the same guy as the first half. 4-0 is 4-0 in the WCC, but we just have to build from this."

Comment

• bballbeachbum
          Zag for Life
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by MDABE80 View Post
          Silas plays the best defense! Silas stopped Haney's 3 of barage! Another
          Great report 116! Thanks

"Haney wasn't the same guy in the second half, I don't know if Silas took him out of it or Haney took himself out. Maybe they didn't look for him as much in the second but he was not the same guy as the first half. 4-0 is 4-0 in the WCC, but we just have to build from this."
          that is not what happened. Josh got the task 2nd half, shut him down. Silas got the call at the under 16 and checked him for two possessions I believe, a brief rest for Josh, then back to Josh. Daniels was mistaken here, the video proves it, and so are you again MDABE80

Comment

• MontanaCoyote
            Zag for Life
            • Dec 2015

Originally posted by bballbeachbum View Post
            that is not what happened. Josh got the task 2nd half, shut him down. Silas got the call at the under 16 and checked him for two possessions I believe, a brief rest for Josh, then back to Josh. Daniels was mistaken here, the video proves it, and so are you again MDABE80
            Well, "whatever," but on down the line going to need to tighten it up a lot sooner. Against top flight competition just can't play stealth defense on a hot shooter for a full 1st half.

Comment

• bballbeachbum
              Zag for Life
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by MontanaCoyote View Post
              Well, "whatever," but on down the line going to need to tighten it up a lot sooner. Against top flight competition just can't play stealth defense on a hot shooter for a full 1st half.
              I hear you MontanaCoyote, no doubt about that. Haney hit some bombs in the first half and on the move, not just catch and shoots. Zags adjusted by denying him the ball, Josh was the guy doing it, and Haney only got off two 3 point attempts in the 2nd half, missed them both. First half the Zags shared defensive responsibilities on him, didn't work

Comment

• Section 116
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Obviously my mistake crediting Silas for hold down Haney when it was, in fact, Perkins who should get the credit. As Few was quoted in the Spokesman today, "Just guarded him (Haney). We were supposed to have attention when we got here an hour before the game. We guarded him!"

Comment

• Zagceo
                  Zag for Life
                  • Nov 2013

I hear you MontanaCoyote, no doubt about that. Haney hit some bombs in the first half and on the move, not just catch and shoots. Zags adjusted by denying him the ball, Josh was the guy doing it, and Haney only got off two 3 point attempts in the 2nd half, missed them both. First half the Zags shared defensive responsibilities on him, didn't work
                  People criticized me on the game thread for pointing out our "bad defense" in the first half. giving up 41 points. someone asked....what would you do differently? I replied deny Haney the ball!.... not rocket science. I assume coaches said same thing and found Perkins followed instructions.

The team has detailed game plans for every opponent ...Haney a senior is well know quantity.

Offense comes and goes...Defense needs to be consistent

Comment

• MontanaCoyote
                    Zag for Life
                    • Dec 2015

Played HS ball but couldn't cut it at SU. But I can still hear my HS coach telling us, "get between your man and the ball." Certainly much harder to do playing against skilled competition. The game is faster and better, too. Still, it's that "3 huge steps to your man" D that I don't get.

You pro's out there, tell me; why does that happen so much, or does it really?

Comment

• bballbeachbum
                      Zag for Life
                      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Zagceo View Post
                      People criticized me on the game thread for pointing out our "bad defense" in the first half. giving up 41 points. someone asked....what would you do differently? I replied deny Haney the ball!.... not rocket science. I assume coaches said same thing and found Perkins followed instructions.

The team has detailed game plans for every opponent ...Haney a senior is well know quantity.

Offense comes and goes...Defense needs to be consistent
                      agreed on the D needing to be consistent, and thought that was a good call on denying Haney, I gave you props for it on the game thread! I don't remember the criticism part but I remember disagreeing with you about the Zags D

Just rewatched, always enlightening, and really closely Haney in the first half. Turns out the Zags played very good deny defense on Haney in the first half imo BUT lost him in transition for 3 of his 5 hits from deep in that half, two off turnovers

1. Josh got back picked on their first play of the game with no help, Haney hit
                      2. Next was as a trailer in transition off missed Josh 3, beating Zags down the floor
                      3. Next two came bam bam off of turnovers in transition with Josh on the bench, one after Tillie tried to force to JIII in the post
                      4. the second when Silas got his pocket picked
                      5. Last one was in the half court, dribble penetration collapsed D leaving JJ alone top of the key guarding two players. The ball got kicked out to Quintana unguarded who had made a couple; JJ slid over and left Haney, Quintana passed to Haney who had space to operate and did

But I think we were both wrong.

Zags did deny Haney hard in the first half. It was the transition 3s where he got loose. Josh denied well when he was tasked with it, Corey was excellent at it, Rui had a few reps and did fine, and Zach had that responsibility for a good stint too, got beat off the bounce once but that was it. And then JJ with his end of first half reps.

But second half, Josh never let him breathe and the turnovers/transition opportunities just weren't there for LMU until some funny whistles when the game was no longer in doubt

at least that's what it looked like to me after rewatching!

Comment

• bballbeachbum
                        Zag for Life
                        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by MontanaCoyote View Post
                        Played HS ball but couldn't cut it at SU. But I can still hear my HS coach telling us, "get between your man and the ball." Certainly much harder to do playing against skilled competition. The game is faster and better, too. Still, it's that "3 huge steps to your man" D that I don't get.

You pro's out there, tell me; why does that happen so much, or does it really?
                        tried to break it down above, hope it didn't suck

Comment

• Zagceo
                          Zag for Life
                          • Nov 2013

agreed on the D needing to be consistent, and thought that was a good call on denying Haney, I gave you props for it on the game thread! I don't remember the criticism part but I remember disagreeing with you about the Zags D

Just rewatched, always enlightening, and really closely Haney in the first half. Turns out the Zags played very good deny defense on Haney in the first half imo BUT lost him in transition for 3 of his 5 hits from deep in that half, two off turnovers

1. Josh got back picked on their first play of the game with no help, Haney hit
                          2. Next was as a trailer in transition off missed Josh 3, beating Zags down the floor
                          3. Next two came bam bam off of turnovers in transition with Josh on the bench, one after Tillie tried to force to JIII in the post
                          4. the second when Silas got his pocket picked
                          5. Last one was in the half court, dribble penetration collapsed D leaving JJ alone top of the key guarding two players. The ball got kicked out to Quintana unguarded who had made a couple; JJ slid over and left Haney, Quintana passed to Haney who had space to operate and did

But I think we were both wrong.

Zags did deny Haney hard in the first half. It was the transition 3s where he got loose. Josh denied well when he was tasked with it, Corey was excellent at it, Rui had a few reps and did fine, and Zach had that responsibility for a good stint too, got beat off the bounce once but that was it. And then JJ with his end of first half reps.

But second half, Josh never let him breathe and the turnovers/transition opportunities just weren't there for LMU until some funny whistles when the game was no longer in doubt

at least that's what it looked like to me after rewatching!
                          nice response

I know it happens but I'd guess the game plan had something in it about "make sure you get back on defense and don't let Haney get lost in transition for open looks" ..could be wrong

Comment

• bballbeachbum
                            Zag for Life
                            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Zagceo View Post
                            nice response

I know it happens but I'd guess the game plan had something in it about "make sure you get back on defense and don't let Haney get lost in transition for open looks" ..could be wrong
                            I would bet my house it included that! but sometimes you just get beat down the floor in transition off turnovers, that's what it looked like

Comment

Working...
                            X