PDA

View Full Version : Bainbridge falls to Rainier; Austin Daye Update

CDC84
02-17-2007, 11:56 PM
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/highschoolsports/2003577677_metro18.html

Sounds like Steven Gray struggled. The real test comes now as the District/State Tourney begins. The bracket will be made available here at some point:

http://www.wiaa.com/

Meanwhile, Woodbridge won their first two CIF Division 1-A playoff games this week against Alta Loma and at Santa Monica. Daye went for 29 and 36 in each game. He was also named the Orange County Register's Athlete of the Week.

surfmonkey89
02-18-2007, 09:07 AM
It's really hard to look at Daye's stats and not just sit there with your jaw wide open.

CDC, from what you can tell is Daye an immediate contributor next year? And by immediate contributor I mean not only a Pendo-like grittygutty contributor, but a legitimately reliable option on offense?

What kind of scorer do you think he'll be as a frosh, taking into consideration the jump from high school?

This guy seems sick.

CDC84
02-18-2007, 11:34 AM
He'll be a contributor. The problem he's going to face next year is that some his game will be limited by his lack of bulk. He's not going to be able to score inside as easily as he does now. I suspect most of his offense will come from 3 balls and mid range shots. I don't think you are going to see him really come into his own until WCC time of sophomore year. That's when he could start dominating.

zagfever86
02-18-2007, 05:17 PM
Those are McDonalds All-American type numbers he's putting up.

CDC84
02-18-2007, 07:59 PM
Well, he is a McDonald's AA level talent. In a normal year Daye might be a Burger Boy, but I am afraid that there are too many big time, established wings for him to make the team. He already didn't make the Jordan AA team. Jamelle Horne and Kyle Singler are consistently ranked higher than him...and they're west coast guys. I don't see them taking him as a power forward, despite his height....he is a true wing.

sanfranzagsguy20
02-18-2007, 08:05 PM
would be a great honor to have austin come to GU as a mcdonalds all-american but as far as i'm concerned the fact that a player of his talent level is coming to GU is all I care about...i've never been one that is enamored with individual awards....i like team awards, like championships..it sounds like austin has been able to produce some of those in high school or has been capable of doing so...that being said he has all-american type numbers so he is one in my book

kylasdad
02-19-2007, 07:59 AM
I'd rather have Austin come without AA status and have something to prove here. Then, he can be an NCAA all american, then a lottery pick!

MarkUCLA
02-22-2007, 08:10 AM
Hi all, Just joined the boards and getting excited about Austin. He's my nephew :)

A lot of those AA & McDonalds guys are scouted & picked way back in their 8th & 9th grade years & practically the teams are already set. Austin is a true late bloomer. His game has really taken off, but just within the past year. He did get great experience playing on an AAU team that went 50-1.

CDC is right though, poor Austin @ 6'10" only weighs around 190 pounds dripping wet. Darren (his dad) was pretty skinny too at that age but not quite that skinny. Austin has always eaten like a bird. When he was younger, we had to coax him into eating. I hope he will develop weight wise like his dad in college.

23dpg
02-22-2007, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the update Mark. Keep us posted on your nephew as the year goes by.

BTW, do you see him as an instant contributor in college or will he take a year or so?

former1dog
02-22-2007, 08:17 AM
A hardy Bulldog welcome, MarkUCLA!

Us "little people on the internet" look forward to your inside scoop regarding Austin. I can say that most of us are very excited about his commitment to Gonzaga and his potential to make a huge contribution to the program.

Fair warning, the fickle nature of message boards can be offensive to friends and families of our players. We try and keep it clean around here, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. I guess what I'm saying is that thick skin is sometimes required.

Enjoy the board!

D Hark 2003
02-22-2007, 08:18 AM
Hey Mark, Welcome to the boards, we are always looking for more inside information so keep it coming if you can. Get that kid some cream and clear from Barry and hell be 250 in no time. ;) Just kidding

MarkUCLA
02-22-2007, 08:34 AM
I think he can be an instant contributor because he has multiple abilities he brings to the table.

He's averaging around 8-9 blocks per game. (Has long arms and if he doesnt block the shot, he'll will make you adjust). Will get you 10-15 boards per game. An excellent passer. At 6'10" he has a great view of the court and because he handles the ball well, can act as point-forward at times. Also, shoots around 85% from the line.

((We will have to watch his turnovers a bit. He's had 3 triple doubles this year with one category being 10+ turnovers. Actually, he almost had a quadruple double game but he was 1 assist away, lol)). But he's asked to rebound, bring the ball up & score while being double & triple teamed. It wears him down later in the game forcing turnovers.

Being a late-bloomer its hard to judge how much he'll contribute, but with all those abilities, and his confidence growing, I think he'll contribute right away.

hls97
02-22-2007, 08:50 AM
I am really excited about seeing what Austin Daye, Steven Gray, and Robert Sacre can bring to the table (love the way their names just flow together).

With all the bad news about Heytvelt, the rough patch with some losses, etc., it is fun to think about the future and how bright it remains.

Bring on the Daye!

RebornZag
02-22-2007, 09:29 AM
to the GUBoard. Turnovers are a huge problems for incoming Freshman. The speed at the Division I level is incredible, and takes time to adjust to. Lanes that look open, close so fast at this level. Has anyone ever checked Austin's wing span? That would be interesting. What has impressed me all year has been his rebounding because anyone being recruited by GU brings in high scoring averages with them. I love his boards and blocked shots.

I look forward to seeing Austin play next year. We all like offense too, including me. What does he bring to the Offensive end? Can he shoot 3's? He must be able to score from any place on the court with those kind of offensive #'s. Pretty incredible. AS you know, confidence will be the key at the next level, as well as working very, very hard.

CDC84
02-22-2007, 09:34 AM
Welcome to the board.

I saw Austin play in person a few weeks ago. The turnover issues, as I perceive them, are primarily the result of lazy passing and a mysterious tendency to pick up his pivot foot, even when there isn't a defender in his grill. The former is a problem that many prep players have, and I am sure just scrimmaging with the team this summer will put an end to that when guys like Jeremy Pargo and Micah Downs steal those passes for break away dunks. There is a big speed adjustment in the D-1 game...it's something that Matt Bouldin has struggled with at times this season.

I don't really understand what is causing the latter...the lifting of the pivot foot.

The most surprising thing was how adept he is as a shotblocker. He has such solid fundamentals in this area for a kid who isn't a low post big man. He needs to play with more vigor on defense at times, but I tend to not hold this against talented prep players. Austin cannot afford to get in foul trouble or his Woodbridge team will lose. He played every single minute of the game I saw versus Foothill.

gozagswoohoo
02-22-2007, 09:34 AM
Welcome to the board Mark.

Where can I view Daye's latest stats? I'm havin trouble finding them

MarkUCLA
02-22-2007, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the welcome guys & gals. I'm not a big poster on message boards so don't get too used to me, but I am suprised by the amount of activity here.

@CDC84, So far, you have hit everything on the head. Are you a coach or former coach? You should consider scouting.

I saw Austin the 2 games just before the playoffs and you are right. I'd like to see a little more intensity on defense, and at times, he can be a little lazy on his passes. I didnt notice the pivot foot thing but that would have to be addresssed.

What I like most about Austin is he is a pass 1st type player. Also, teams won't be double & triple teaming him as much, so with more freedom & less total dependence, I hope to see his game grow. He will work real good with a big man inside. He's never really had that.

He, as all freshman, will have to adapt to the speed and athleticism of the next level. However, he will the advantage of long arms & 6'10' frame to help make up the difference.

@RebornZag, He can hit from all over the court, and can hit with pressure on him. Also, he has always had this uncanny ability to hit the last second shot. I don't think he's ever missed one. Its actually strange. You just know it's going in.

-edit
@gozagswoohoo Here is a website of his stats. I hope the link works. I know you can shorten it to a description of the link but don't know how to do it. Anyway...

http://www.maxpreps.com/FanPages/Player.mxp/California/Boys_Varsity_Basketball_Winter_06-07/AreaID-8e11e7d4-d3fa-4e6f-827f-652c29439d27/SchoolID-e692a17c-a4cb-4cdf-ad12-2fe4f047e7eb/AthleteID-d9cf29b5-7fbe-4188-b490-ef7c3bdca439

CDC84
02-22-2007, 10:24 AM
In the game I saw, Austin's teammates cost him about 6 assists. Gonzaga level players will make most of those shots. Also, if he can drive and kick out like I've been told he can thru some of his AAU performances, Gonzaga is going to have 5-6 guys who have the capacity to shoot 40% or better from the 3 point line next season. Very much like another 2007 incoming freshman, Steven Gray, we are going to see parts of Austin's game revealed that were previously hidden a bit...the GU system and the talented players surrounding him will bring those qualities to the surface.

The kid has major upside, but GU fans must be patient with him.

ZagManFan
02-22-2007, 10:38 AM
Mark, welcome to the board. One thing that impresses me is the blocks. Can you tell us if he is a Heytvelt type blocker or a Kuso type blocker. Kuso keeps the ball in play while Josh usually sent it 3 rows deep. I prefer the Kuso type meself, but just wanted to know.

Thanks

MarkUCLA
02-22-2007, 10:58 AM
@ZagManFan- Austin's blocks are more like deflections that he can try to take control of, or deflect to a team mate. He plays like Darren used to where he does a lot of those little things and has very good court presence.

When re rebounds, he will look up court and fire down the ball if someone is open. He will also rebound and quickly dribble up court instead of standing there looking for a guard. If he is off balance and can't grab the rebound himself, he will tip it to a team mate. That kind of player.

One thing that his dad & grandfather have tried to work with him is his off ball movement on offense. They have been trying to teach him to cross the 3sec lane & get in position instead of waiting for the ball to come crosscourt.

He does have a lot to learn & this is where Few & staff can help develop him, which is why Darren wanted him going to Gonzaga.

MarkUCLA
02-22-2007, 11:20 AM
Lol,

I just thought of this. At UCLA, Darren Daye played with his high school friend Stuart Gray.

Now 18 years later, Austin Daye will get to play with Steven Gray.

Daye to Gray for 2 points. Quite a coincidence.

The best thing about Austie (I used to call him Austie Spumanti when he was little) is what a great kid he is. He's funny, full of life, great personality & just a good kid. He's the type that will cheat at a card game, but laugh so hard about it that he never gets away with it. God I hope he stays that way. I've never been more proud of anyone in my life. And he deserves anything and everything he gets.

DoggieDogpound
02-22-2007, 12:19 PM
Thanks for all the info about Austin - I am going to share this great thread with some Zag alumni friends who are coming down to watch the USD game. Can't wait to watch Austin play - do you think he will wear jersey #5?

UberZagFan
02-22-2007, 04:47 PM
MarkUCLA: Thanks for all the info and we all hope you enjoy your time on the board.

I can't wait to see the kid play. CDC has been ranting about him for months now. And his numbers are out of this world. The rebound and blocks are hard to fathom. Do players just keep coming at him trying to shoot over him or is he quick enough to block shots from players he is not guarding? I suspect it must be the latter. If GU is to improve next year, the place to start is protecting the paint by blocking cutters' shots and rebounding all misses. It looks like Austin can and will contribute in these areas. The offense will just be a bonus and there will be many options from other players for offense if it takes Austin some time to adjust to the D1 level.

UberZagFan
02-22-2007, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys & gals. I'm not a big poster on message boards so don't get too used to me, but I am suprised by the amount of activity here.

You should have been here a week and a half ago. Today's slow! ;) Actually, if you stick around you'll see this board is pretty active all season long and much more civil than a lot of other fan boards.