PDA

View Full Version : Top Mid Majors mid season

Zagdawg
01-02-2018, 05:40 PM
1. SAINT MARY’S
One of the best offenses in the country (No. 3 on KenPom in adjusted offensive efficiency), Saint Mary’s should be a major threat to Gonzaga in the WCC. The Gaels suffered some early slip-ups against Washington State and Georgia on neutral courts. Other than that, they’ve been perfect. A veteran core that is filled with upperclassmen leads Saint Mary’s as big man Jock Landale is once again an All-American candidate. Calvin Hermanson, Emmett Naar and Jordan Ford are also performing admirably to start the season. Do yourself a favor and stay up late to watch these guys play. Saint Mary’s can be really fun to watch.

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2018/01/02/nbc-sports-midseason-mid-major-power-rankings/?sf177992404=1

bartruff1
01-02-2018, 05:44 PM
Well they are fun to watch, that win at Provo was classic Gael basketball...great poise....great temp.... but Gonzaga is much more athletic ...and if they are hitting from the outside, they will beat the Gaels...Few owns Randy......actually, BYU might be a tougher matchup for Gonzaga....IMHO as usual...

WallaWallaZag
01-04-2018, 05:39 AM
from the same article...

12. SAN DIEGO

Could the WCC have four good teams this year? That might be the case if surprising San Diego continues to win games. Off to an 11-3 start, the Toreros had three quality road wins in non-conference play at Grand Canyon, New Mexico State and Colorado. Defense and balanced scoring is the calling card for San Diego as they rate No. 61 in KenPom in adjusted defensive efficiency while producing four double-figure scorers. The real tests will come for the Toreros when they have to face WCC juggernauts like Gonzaga, Saint Mary’s and BYU but San Diego shouldn’t be taken lightly.

jazzdelmar
01-04-2018, 06:00 AM
Like JW3, I'm from Missouri on the To's.

Markburn1
01-04-2018, 10:47 AM
Like JW3, I'm from Missouri on the To's.

Hey Jazz. Do you get to the Jenny to watch some games? Been there a couple times. Campus is ridiculous. Always amazes me that they don't attract top flight kids.

CDC84
01-04-2018, 12:39 PM
FYI - St. Mary's is also 145th in defensive efficiency. That's pretty bad.

Gonzaga is 7th on offense and 30th on defense.

jazzdelmar
01-04-2018, 01:24 PM
Hey Jazz. Do you get to the Jenny to watch some games? Been there a couple times. Campus is ridiculous. Always amazes me that they don't attract top flight kids.

Many, many times. Saw DD disassemble a very good Pep team in the WCC playoffs. Campus is from central casting. Idyllic even in Paradise San Diego. SDSU a shythole by comparison.

MontanaCoyote
01-04-2018, 03:23 PM
Why were the Zag's and BYU omitted?

bdmiller7
01-04-2018, 03:42 PM
They're not considered mid majors in that poll.

MontanaCoyote
01-04-2018, 04:09 PM
[QUOTE=bdmiller7;1349556]They're not considered mid majors in that poll.[/QUOTE

OK, but why not? Why would SMC be a mid major and not BYU? I can understand the Zag's be omitted because of their long record of success against majors, but they still play in a mid major league.

GoZags
01-04-2018, 04:23 PM
[QUOTE=bdmiller7;1349556]They're not considered mid majors in that poll.[/QUOTE

OK, but why not? Why would SMC be a mid major and not BYU? I can understand the Zag's be omitted because of their long record of success against majors, but they still play in a mid major league.

Not too many mid major programs fly a private jet to their away games (Gonzaga) and not too many mid major programs play their home games in their own 20,000 seat arena (BYU)

Ezag
01-04-2018, 07:45 PM
Yeah, every year is the year the Gaels replace us at the top.....blah blah F'in blah blah blah F'in blah blah blah F'in blah blah blah F'in blah blah blah F'in blah.

Until they actually do it and stay there it's just blah blah F'in blah....

TexasZagFan
01-04-2018, 09:04 PM
Yeah, every year is the year the Gaels replace us at the top.....blah blah F'in blah blah blah F'in blah blah blah F'in blah blah blah F'in blah blah blah F'in blah.

You reminded me of Alex Lifeson’s acceptance speech at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Lol

bartruff1
01-04-2018, 09:25 PM

Every year ??? This is the first time in 17 years that Gonzaga has not been the preseason favorite to win the Conference...

DixieZag
01-05-2018, 05:58 AM
Many, many times. Saw DD disassemble a very good Pep team in the WCC playoffs. Campus is from central casting. Idyllic even in Paradise San Diego. SDSU a shythole by comparison.

That was the game that he had like 2 at halftime, IIRC. He couldn't buy a shot in the first half, and Pepp had taken a significant lead, the fans were groaning as it looked for sure that we were going down.

And then he hit one, and I think 30 points later we had taken the lead and won, and not by a huge amount, either.

I was there, too. I won't forget that game.

jazzdelmar
01-05-2018, 06:03 AM
That was the game that he had like 2 at halftime, IIRC. He couldn't buy a shot in the first half, and Pepp had taken a significant lead, the fans were groaning as it looked for sure that we were going down.

And then he hit one, and I think 30 points later we had taken the lead and won, and not by a huge amount, either.

I was there, too. I won't forget that game.

Best ever. Full house at the Slim Gym. Stepp played great as well.

Enjoy again........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0PEitUxhZs

DixieZag
01-05-2018, 06:04 AM
One of the best offenses in the country (No. 3 on KenPom in adjusted offensive efficiency), Saint Mary’s should be a major threat to Gonzaga in the WCC. The Gaels suffered some early slip-ups against Washington State and Georgia on neutral courts. Other than that, they’ve been perfect

Well, this must be a pretty low bar, bc "other than that" they've played next to no one.

I realize that UGA and WSU are both better than they've been in just recent years, but c'mon. They should beat both those teams and having not done so, and considering the rest of their schedule, only BYU would seem like a game they couldn't look perfect in.

I didn't see the BYU game but that does sound better, it can always be tough to beat them there.

I realize we have been far from perfect. But, FLA we just needed a FT from a guy who's over 80% and SDSU and especially Nova just seemed like nights when we didn't show up. I'm somewhat concerned, too.

vandalzag
01-05-2018, 09:59 AM
Well, this must be a pretty low bar, bc "other than that" they've played next to no one.

I realize that UGA and WSU are both better than they've been in just recent years, but c'mon. They should beat both those teams and having not done so, and considering the rest of their schedule, only BYU would seem like a game they couldn't look perfect in.

I didn't see the BYU game but that does sound better, it can always be tough to beat them there.

I realize we have been far from perfect. But, FLA we just needed a FT from a guy who's over 80% and SDSU and especially Nova just seemed like nights when we didn't show up. I'm somewhat concerned, too.

The Gaels set up a schedule that allows zero room for mistakes. Really do not know how good they are until they play the Zags. If they lose more than 2 games to GU could be looking at being one of the last teams left out of the dance. Zero quality wins in the non conference. Still do not understand why they do not look for a tougher non-conference schedule.

bartruff1
01-05-2018, 11:27 AM
Well they lost 3 times to Gonzaga last year and got in and did very well..

TexasZagFan
01-05-2018, 11:35 AM
Well they lost 3 times to Gonzaga last year and got in and did very well..

I don’t think they’ll get away with that this year. Looking at all the turbulence in the rankings, that bodes ill for mid-majors.

I think we’ll see an historical low for mid-majors that don’t win their autobid.

bartruff1
01-05-2018, 12:02 PM
The Gael's looked like a dance team to me, beating BYU in Provo.....

WallaWallaZag
01-05-2018, 01:14 PM
The Gael's looked like a dance team to me, beating BYU in Provo.....

need to at least split with the zags and win out otherwise...last year they only lost once ooc, but twice this year. and this version of zags ain't the same as last year...

stevet75
01-05-2018, 03:04 PM
How does an experienced, talented team, like SM lose to a young, not so talented team, like WSU, early in the season? Experienced teams should have an advantage, especially early in the season.
I'm not yet sold on the Gaels.

WallaWallaZag
01-06-2018, 02:18 AM
How does an experienced, talented team, like SM lose to a young, not so talented team, like WSU, early in the season? Experienced teams should have an advantage, especially early in the season.
I'm not yet sold on the Gaels.

how does the #12 ranked team in the nation go to overtime on it's home floor to #273rpi north dakota?...sheet happens.
smc doesn't play great defense and wsu got hot from outside, especially malachi flynn, who has a little brownridge in him.

stevet75
01-06-2018, 05:09 AM
how does the #12 ranked team in the nation go to overtime on it's home floor to #273rpi north dakota?...sheet happens.
smc doesn't play great defense and wsu got hot from outside, especially malachi flynn, who has a little brownridge in him.
Fair point