PDA

View Full Version : McKeon Pavilion - buying tickets

TimberZag
12-31-2017, 10:23 AM
We will be in Moraga for the St Maryís game. Buying tickets now. For anyone who has been to a game there, are reserved seats worth it? Iíve read a lot of conflicting things, some say itís better to buy GA. Tips appreciated!

sideshow06
12-31-2017, 10:47 AM
Upper reserved seats guarantee you a specific seat, and are ever so slightly padded bleacher style benches. GA means you sit where you can on a hard bleacher, and for the GU game there's a good chance you'll be standing if you're not there early. There's no difference in terms of location/view. If you can get a seat in the lower level reserved (good luck with that), or in the "VIP" section behind the hoop you'll get a seat-back rather than just a bleacher style bench. The ones behind the hoop are cushy - my favorite when I can snag them for a good price. But for SMC/GU you may only have GA as an option unless you want to drop some serious cash.

kitzbuel
12-31-2017, 11:04 AM
Unlike the University of Phoenix Stadium, I imagine almost all the seats at Moraga have a good view of the court.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

TimberZag
12-31-2017, 11:23 AM
How early is early? It says they open doors 1 hour before. Do they make an exception with Gonzaga game maybe opening 2 hours early? Sorry for all the questions and thanks for advice! I think I’m snagging GA tkts and bringing stadium seats.

bballbeachbum
12-31-2017, 01:00 PM
How early is early? It says they open doors 1 hour before. Do they make an exception with Gonzaga game maybe opening 2 hours early? Sorry for all the questions and thanks for advice! I think I’m snagging GA tkts and bringing stadium seats.

haven't done it in a while so don't know for sure but I would be lining up earlier than 1 hour before. have met or been able to observe a few Gael parents over the years in that line waiting, always interesting, usually nervous and hugging people. it's cool
anyway, sideshow06 with the goods on seating

Markburn1
12-31-2017, 05:42 PM
The Gaels oversell this game by many magnitudes. If you don't get there a couple hours early and stand in line your GA ticket will be a cattle call.

There is a yellow line behind the reserved seats that GA ticket holders are supposed to stand behind if you aren't early enough to get a bleacher seat on the opposite side. It's a joke. People stand 4 or five deep on that concrete walkway. They don't even keep the stairs between sections clear. No way in. No way out.

Honestly, the atmosphere is electric, but if you don't buy a reserved seat just plan on standing the whole game. Even if you are lucky enough to get a bleacher seat, those seats are behind the student section and they stand forcing everyone behind them to stand.

Stadium seats will be worthless and I don't think they will allow it anyway. I'd call their sports information people before I attempted that.

I know it sounds bad, but it is absolutely a situation where the fire marshal must be on the payroll.

I've been every year for a long time.

I used to buy season tickets just to get a good seat for this one game. Two years ago they added a "donation" to the season ticket. I refused to pay for their program and have purchased single game tickets. Won't be going this year. Shot my wad at PK80.

TimberZag
01-01-2018, 10:35 AM
Warning taken. Thanks for the advice. Buying reserved seats now! :)

bartruff1
01-01-2018, 10:50 AM
Markburn1 has it exactly right....I bought a ticket from a scalper for about half face value just minutes before the game and had to stand....that is fine with me as I have a bad back and sitting is uncomfortable...I can't believe the fire marshals let fans jam the exits ....the atmosphere is electric.....hot as the dickens in there..... and the noise is deafening ...

Norwester
01-01-2018, 03:09 PM
The Gaels oversell this game by many magnitudes. If you don't get there a couple hours early and stand in line your GA ticket will be a cattle call.

Even if you have reserved seats, you need to be there AT LEAST an hour early and in line. When the fire marshal closes the door, it doesn't matter what kind of ticket you have, GA, reserved, whatever...you're not getting it. There were dozens, if not hundreds, who had paid tickets in hand last year who were turned away after the fire marshal determined the building was full. It's a Mickey Mouse operation, top to bottom. You have to be prepared. God forbid there ever is a fire or earthquake or any kind of emergency during a game that would require the building to be evacuated. There aren't enough exits and it takes forever for a crowd to get down from the upper level. The best thing that could happen would be if the thing burned to the ground in a fire or crumbled to pieces in an earthquake (with no one it, of course). Then SMC could start over...

jaydee77
01-01-2018, 03:44 PM
Been every year in last ten. Not anymore. St Mary’s can’t handle big events. Total joke. The high school gym seats maybe 3,500. Every year it is oversold by at least a thousand. Don’t know how the Moraga fire department allows it. If a fire or major earthquake hit It would be a major disaster. I can’t believe the Christian brothers would expose themselves to this risk.
Last year a woman purchased two tickets for $400 on stub hub and could not get in. St Mary’s is a good school with a beautiful campus. They simply don’t know how to handle big events.

webspinnre
01-01-2018, 04:32 PM
I've been two several of these games down there, and concur with other posters - it's a zoo. A GA ticket is basically an SRO ticket - if you don't mind that, it's fine, but it's going to be jam packed up there. Wouldn't recommend it unless you don't mind standing the entire game.

Gonzdb8
01-01-2018, 05:20 PM
I've been two several of these games down there, and concur with other posters - it's a zoo. A GA ticket is basically an SRO ticket - if you don't mind that, it's fine, but it's going to be jam packed up there. Wouldn't recommend it unless you don't mind standing the entire game.

All these posts makes it sound a rather hellish experience for fans. Tech has advanced far enough that i'm generally satisfied watching away games from the comfort of my living room.

bartruff1
01-01-2018, 06:29 PM
No.....not me....it is a spectacle ....fun..... exciting....completely different from watching at home... a sensory experience ...

willandi
01-01-2018, 07:36 PM
I wonder what would happen if an official complaint were filed. Something where the Fire Marshall had to remove the excess, and where those with a valid ticket filed a complaint with the State AG office for damages from not being allowed in.

webspinnre
01-01-2018, 10:29 PM
All these posts makes it sound a rather hellish experience for fans. Tech has advanced far enough that i'm generally satisfied watching away games from the comfort of my living room.

Oh, I've had a great time, but I haven't minded standing and dealing with the zoo of a crowd.

77Zag
01-02-2018, 09:14 AM
Looks like you are convinced on the Reserved Seats -- good call. The venue is horrific for the Zags game --

Wear clothing for the beach -- layer if outside is cold. It will be about 95 inside, overcrowded, oversold every time. The GA folks will be standing the entire game, aisles included - Fire Marshall would have cramps for writing up violations.

Go Zags - Beat the Gaels X2! Likely X3

willandi
01-02-2018, 09:48 AM
Been every year in last ten. Not anymore. St Mary’s can’t handle big events. Total joke. The high school gym seats maybe 3,500. Every year it is oversold by at least a thousand. Don’t know how the Moraga fire department allows it. If a fire or major earthquake hit It would be a major disaster. I can’t believe the Christian brothers would expose themselves to this risk.
Last year a woman purchased two tickets for $400 on stub hub and could not get in. St Mary’s is a good school with a beautiful campus. They simply don’t know how to handle big events.

What is the worth of the Gonzaga Basketball team, not just to us, the Gonzaga fans, but to ALL the schools in the WCC? Is it REALLY worth jeopardizing their lives if there were a cataclysmic event, a fire or an earthquake? Just so SMC can oversell 1000+ tickets and make an extra $20,000 or $30,000.

Gonzaga should file a complaint now with the WCC and require that the Fire Marshall enforce the law, or the Gaels forfeit, their choice.

Gamesmanship? Of course, as is packing 1,000 too many people into a bandbox gym. Even more though, if there was a fire or an earthquake (or worse), would the fans allow the Zag team to evacuate first?

There is a reason for maximum occupancy rulings. Make the Gaels abide. They get enough money from Gonzaga already.

TexasZagFan
01-02-2018, 01:07 PM
Thanks to this thread, Bennett’s OOC scheduling makes perfect sense: it’s done for safety reasons, I.e. to keep the home crowds from exceeding 3500.

They don’t mind rolling the dice when the Zags come to town. Just one game a year.

Hoopaholic
01-02-2018, 02:05 PM
been there twice and both times had an exceptional time...tailgating in the parking lot before and after the game and then attending game inside...now I had reserved seats in the corner bottom portion of the grandstands but echo the atmosphere and crowd as the entire 16 stairwell rows were people sitting in the aisles.........

TimberZag
01-02-2018, 09:38 PM
Looks like you are convinced on the Reserved Seats -- good call. The venue is horrific for the Zags game --

Wear clothing for the beach -- layer if outside is cold. It will be about 95 inside, overcrowded, oversold every time. The GA folks will be standing the entire game, aisles included - Fire Marshall would have cramps for writing up violations.
Go Zags - Beat the Gaels X2! Likely X3

Geez all I have are Gonzaga hoodies...now I’m going to have to buy a t-shirt. That combined with reserved seats is getting spendy. Can’t wait!!!! :roll:

Markburn1
01-03-2018, 09:28 AM
Geez all I have are Gonzaga hoodies...now I’m going to have to buy a t-shirt. That combined with reserved seats is getting spendy. Can’t wait!!!! :roll:

They usually give you a t-shirt as a part of their promotion. It will be on your seat. Of course it will be Gaels gear.

gaels87
01-03-2018, 10:10 AM
While I know they have oversold the game in the past, I guess last year was particularly bad as I was told there were a few hundred counterfeit tickets floating around. Reserved seats are definitely your best bet

77Zag
01-03-2018, 12:51 PM
They usually give you a t-shirt as a part of their promotion. It will be on your seat. Of course it will be Gaels gear.

May want to go with a tank top and shorts...I'm not kidding.

Birddog
01-03-2018, 01:07 PM

Maybe a bathrobe would be good, though I don't see one in official Zag apparel.

Markburn1
01-03-2018, 07:59 PM
There's a guy that has shown up in a Pangos jersey, no undershirt, for years

CDC84
01-03-2018, 08:04 PM
If you wear glasses, bring a microfiber cloth.

TimberZag
02-10-2018, 08:52 AM
So there is a pregame social from 5-6:30... how are people going to go to that and make it into pavilion?