PDA

View Full Version : Rankings on Monday

cggonzaga
12-31-2017, 12:55 AM
Do we move up to 17? Tenn, Baylor and Kentucky all lost.

ZagsGoZags
12-31-2017, 04:32 AM
my guess is two points on each index, to
18 and 17
happy, but don't expect to surpass KY this time

jazzdelmar
12-31-2017, 04:51 AM
Maybe if no voter actually saw the quality of the Zags comp.

zag67
12-31-2017, 05:11 AM
I will say 16 to 18.

I agree the quality was not super but our ball movement, attacking the boards, and rebounding was, 28 assosts is super and only 7 turnovers is improvement.

TexasZagFan
12-31-2017, 05:26 AM
Do we move up to 17? Tenn, Baylor and Kentucky all lost.

True, but Alabama smoked #5 Texas A&M.

jazzdelmar
12-31-2017, 06:03 AM
I will say 16 to 18.

I agree the quality was not super but our ball movement, attacking the boards, and rebounding was, 28 assosts is super and only 7 turnovers is improvement.

Don't think the voters drill down to such details.......

thespywhozaggedme
12-31-2017, 06:44 AM
Don't think the voters drill down to such details.......

They don't drill down at all. The see a w or an l and what the teams immediately in front of and behind them did. People have known for years that most of the WCC is awful, it's a non issue to the voter.

bartruff1
12-31-2017, 07:20 AM
They don't drill down at all. The see a w or an l and what the teams immediately in front of and behind them did. People have known for years that most of the WCC is awful, it's a non issue to the voter.

Right, the same thing happens nearly every year.....as other teams lose in conference and Gonzaga wins....Zags move up...

MontanaCoyote
12-31-2017, 07:20 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but should we even care? Now isn't it just a matter of winning the WCC, hopefully going undefeated, then winning the WCC tournament? If we can do that, does either national ranking make any difference at all in regard to seeding or anything else.......except maybe bragging rights?

VaBeachZAG
12-31-2017, 07:29 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but should we even care? Now isn't it just a matter of winning the WCC, hopefully going undefeated, then winning the WCC tournament? If we can do that, does either national ranking make any difference at all in regard to seeding or anything else.......except maybe bragging rights?

National rankings should always matter for the numerous reasons covered many times on this board. However, on a comparative basis, I would say winning the WCC is more important in the big picture of things.

bartruff1
12-31-2017, 07:37 AM
Gonzaga has had #1 rankings and #1 seeds playing in the WCC.....I think it is a advantage not a albatross ...

Zagger
12-31-2017, 07:42 AM
18 or 19 :)

Reborn
12-31-2017, 08:27 AM
The most important rankings to me are the BPI and Kenpom. Kenpom is the best. I hope that the committee thinks the same way. I think these two ranking systems are gaining in importance to the selection committee. Zags have been hanging around #12 in both rankings. 12 in Kenpom and 13 in BPI.

regarding the AP poll. My guess is #17.

I just looked at the Kenpom and BPI rankings. Zags' ranking for BPI is #10 and #8 in Kenpom. This is huge, and brings a smile to my face. If Zags can get a #2 or #3 seed in March that would be HUGE.

This has been a weird year for most teams. There have been so many upsets. I truly believe that the NCAA tournament will be wide open this year. It seems to be getting that now a days. Last year there were two teams in the final four who were seeded lower than #4. St Mary's was ranked #22 and BYU #57....Things are looking better.

ZagsGoZags
12-31-2017, 11:34 AM

Coyote, I think it is not one or the other, they all matter to some degree, Rankings, WCC championship and tournament victory, and KenPoms. Perhaps for different reasons, but all three help the zags to do well in.

MDABE80
12-31-2017, 12:21 PM

this! Unless a team starts beating top 10 or highly ranked teams (we won't have that opportunity) , advancement mostly depends on other teams losing while we win games in the WCC.

Section 116
12-31-2017, 02:54 PM
Few addressed this issue on last weeks edition of the Mark Few show. In his opinion there should be no rankings released prior to February. He noted a team such as Gonzaga typically plays a front loaded schedule for obvious reasons. Many teams around the country primarily play a front loaded schedule of cupcakes due to the strength of their respective conferences and many of those teams put up gaudy W-L records. It is difficult to argue his statement, particularly for those of us who bleed GU basketball!

Bogozags
01-01-2018, 06:19 AM
The most important rankings to me are the BPI and Kenpom. Kenpom is the best. I hope that the committee thinks the same way. I think these two ranking systems are gaining in importance to the selection committee. Zags have been hanging around #12 in both rankings. 12 in Kenpom and 13 in BPI.

regarding the AP poll. My guess is #17.

I just looked at the Kenpom and BPI rankings. Zags' ranking for BPI is #10 and #8 in Kenpom. This is huge, and brings a smile to my face. If Zags can get a #2 or #3 seed in March that would be HUGE.

This has been a weird year for most teams. There have been so many upsets. I truly believe that the NCAA tournament will be wide open this year. It seems to be getting that now a days. Last year there were two teams in the final four who were seeded lower than #4. St Mary's was ranked #22 and BYU #57....Things are looking better.

I find it interesting that GU is ranked that high in both Kenpom and BPI...not sure at what they are gauging GU...I don't see ranking GU that high but then again, no one is paying me either...BUT if these are two of the tools the committee uses and we continue to rank high and play exceedingly well in conference, then maybe it's realistic we can obtain at four or higher seed...here's hoping!

sittingon50
01-01-2018, 10:14 AM
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings

Kiddwell
01-01-2018, 10:33 AM
Zags are tied at 19th with Cincinnati. No Coaches' yet (11:30 am), but imagine we'll be about 19th there too. Saint Mary's hasn't a vote in the AP-25, which this fan thinks is amazing (and unfair). They'll have votes in the Coaches', guaranteed. (That come-from-behind vs. @BYU on national TV was really great.)

Zags, Gaels, and Cougars just need to keep winning, keep winning to the regular season's end. If so, and Zags win against those two, we should be very close to Top-10 by then, IMHO. (It'd be great to see San Diego "represent" from hereon too.)

:boxing:

:]

MDABE80
01-01-2018, 10:50 AM
All we can do is keep winning games. Same with SMC and BYU. Things work out like they always do. GO ZAGS!

Reborn
01-01-2018, 11:15 AM
Gonzaga is ranked #19 in today's AP poll. They are ranked #9 in both the BPI and Kenpom rankings. Lookin good/

GoZags
01-01-2018, 11:33 AM
Gonzaga is ranked #19 in today's AP poll. They are ranked #9 in both the BPI and Kenpom rankings. Lookin good/

And unfortunately with the blowout win over Pacific, the Zag's RPI (yes ... that STILL matters) dropped 24 points, from #49 to #73. Ouch. That'll leave a mark.

TexasZagFan
01-01-2018, 01:49 PM
And unfortunately with the blowout win over Pacific, the Zag's RPI (yes ... that STILL matters) dropped 24 points, from #49 to #73. Ouch. That'll leave a mark.

I suppose that means it fell further after playing Santa Clara.

Nevada Don
01-01-2018, 02:45 PM
http://www.bracketmatrix.com/
Posted by MBAGAEL on GIAG. Not sure if posted here already. If MBAGAEL posts it, it must have some merit/credibility IMO.

sittingon50
01-01-2018, 03:08 PM
Thanks Don.

cggonzaga
01-01-2018, 03:48 PM
http://www.bracketmatrix.com/
Posted by MBAGAEL on GIAG. Not sure if posted here already. If MBAGAEL posts it, it must have some merit/credibility IMO.

Those 3 and 4 seeds would not be happy seeing Gonzaga in the round of 32 and 16.

bartruff1
01-01-2018, 04:28 PM
I doubt Arizona or Kentucky would be worried....but poor old West Virginia and Huggins would be saying ....Again ....!!!! WTF !!!

Love to see a Shockers Zags game..... and see Trey Young and Melson...

GoZags
01-01-2018, 05:14 PM
I suppose that means it fell further after playing Santa Clara.

Meant to say wins over Pacific and Santa Clara. Thanks.

TexasZagFan
01-01-2018, 05:52 PM
Meant to say wins over Pacific and Santa Clara. Thanks.

Well, that’s certainly a relief! /sarcasm

Oops, don’t we play Pepperdine and LMU this weekend?

75Zag
01-01-2018, 07:29 PM
GU has done very well in the AP rankings the past 20 years by wallowing around in the WCC while hoping and waiting for higher ranked teams in the AP rankings to make a mistake or two in their own conferences. I hope that we have the same luck again this year, although I do have to wonder whether there may be a point where the sports writers and coaches (correctly) realize that the "Emperor Has No Clothes" and that the WCC truly does suck so badly that almost no conference win by GU is worth any reputation points whatsoever. Time will tell, but hopefully GU can fight its way into the 2nd weekend or more of the NCAA Tournament regardless of ranking, rating or popularity.

Go Bulldogs!

willandi
01-01-2018, 08:29 PM
GU has done very well in the AP rankings the past 20 years by wallowing around in the WCC while hoping and waiting for higher ranked teams in the AP rankings to make a mistake or two in their own conferences. I hope that we have the same luck again this year, although I do have to wonder whether there may be a point where the sports writers and coaches (correctly) realize that the "Emperor Has No Clothes" and that the WCC truly does suck so badly that almost no conference win by GU is worth any reputation points whatsoever. Time will tell, but hopefully GU can fight its way into the 2nd weekend or more of the NCAA Tournament regardless of ranking, rating or popularity.

Go Bulldogs!

As was pointed out, Kenpom and BPI have the Zags in top 10 status, and both of those account for the WCC being weaker than a P5 conference. If the sportswriters and coaches aren't able to figure it out as well as those that do it professionally, maybe they should not be allowed to do so.

gonzagafan62
01-01-2018, 09:40 PM
I doubt Arizona or Kentucky would be worried....but poor old West Virginia and Huggins would be saying ....Again ....!!!! WTF !!!

Trae young is on Oklahoma

bartruff1
01-01-2018, 10:41 PM
Trae young is on Oklahoma

Yes, I know that and soon the entire basketball world will know that...and Melson is on Gonzaga....

gonzagafan62
01-01-2018, 11:01 PM
Yes, I know that and soon the entire basketball world will know that...and Melson is on Gonzaga....

Oh sorry Bart. Think I just got what you meant. My bad

jazzdelmar
01-02-2018, 03:30 AM

Go Bulldogs!

Perfect abstract of the GU strategy....

bartruff1
01-02-2018, 05:55 AM
Oh sorry Bart. Think I just got what you meant. My bad

No problem, my Grammar is weak and so is my Spelling....Happy New Year....I hope to be more agreeable this year...

rennis
01-02-2018, 07:08 AM

On the contrary, I wouldn't want to be any team seeded opposite West Virginia. Ugh.

Kemo 1966
01-02-2018, 07:35 AM
On the contrary, I wouldn't want to be any team seeded opposite West Virginia. Ugh.

Here's a BOLD prediction: the NCAA committee (despite whatever seed GU is, will have West Virginia as its next potential match-up! In fact, they will have a "slow down, or pressing team" for their first game, maybe a Princeton style"...... You can count on this! East Coast bias @ the highest levels of the tourney...that's why the 'measuring stick always changes...i.e one year its the RPI, then its the last 10 game record, or when it suits them, a head to head in Dec...... IMO, just saying, you will face a 'style that has given GU fits..... during the season.

Bogozags
01-02-2018, 07:53 AM

Yes, that would be a big test for GU...maybe in the EE...please, not before...

Also, I hope we stay as far away from WVU as possible, in fact if we are moved out to the east somewhere, then I would go as far as not even flying over that state...

bartruff1
01-02-2018, 10:05 AM
Gonzaga owns WV...I don't think Huggins has beaten Few....

sittingon50
01-02-2018, 10:12 AM
Gonzaga owns WV...I don't think Huggins has beaten Few....

Huggins beat Few when he was at Cincy (12-4-99) if I'm not mistaken but pretty sure you're right bart; hasn't happened since the move to WVU.

rennis
01-02-2018, 11:52 AM
Last year's team just barely survived Press Virginia in the S16. This year's team would be eaten alive, even without any additional motivation Jevon Carter and his teammates might have to avenge the loss.

Hoopaholic
01-02-2018, 11:54 AM
Last year's team just barely survived Press Virginia in the S16. This year's team would be eaten alive

actually disagree with the use of norvell and kispert we have additional ball handling wings that we really did not have last year that can punish a pressing team

in addition Larsen and his passing ability is as solid as any big we had last year in full court type of situations

TexasZagFan
01-02-2018, 12:01 PM
actually disagree with the use of norvell and kispert we have additional ball handling wings that we really did not have last year that can punish a pressing team

in addition Larsen and his passing ability is as solid as any big we had last year in full court type of situations

In Norvell and Kispert we have two first year players that have the green light to shoot, two youngsters that have a boatload of experience being The Man. Didn’t have that last year. Few is still tinkering with the rotation.