PDA

View Full Version : Few's comments from last night's game...sending another message

TexasZagFan
12-29-2017, 07:50 AM
I thought these remarks from Coach deserved it's own thread. Rarely have I heard such direct, negative remarks from him. He must be getting near the end of his rope.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/dec/28/rui-hachimura-josh-perkins-guide-gonzaga-past-paci/#/0

“Just trying to find consistency out of that (inside) group,” said coach Mark Few, who pretty much knew what he was getting from the quartet of Przemek Karnowski, Zach Collins, Williams and Tillie last season. “It’s maddening with those inside guys. You literally don’t know who is going to show up and play and who isn’t.”

Hachimura showed up when the Zags needed him against the scrappy Tigers.

“His approach of all our bigs was the best,” Few said. “He was physical, tough, kind of in attack mode and picking the right spots when to attack.”

Reborn
12-29-2017, 08:20 AM
Perkins with 0 turnovers. That's huge. He did have a very good game. About time.
I'm kind of surprised that Few didn't mention how poorly Melson is playing on the offensive end. I hope Few makes some changes.

CdAZagFan
12-29-2017, 08:39 AM
Someone mentioned it in another post, but Few's offense is built around the inside out game. This team has great shooters, but when the inside game isn't working, this team can really struggle. And come March, if this team doesn't have an inside presence, it will be a quick exit. I'm leaning with many others on this board to start Larsen. Tillie is one of my favorite players, and I think he can really score - but perhaps he is better coming off the bench.

hooter73
12-29-2017, 09:49 AM
Melson will play for his defense alone. Not ideal but better than some situations we've been in with underscoring guards. I'm trying to keep myself from looking up Perkins stats game by game. He seems to play just fine against low level competition, but not show well against equal or greater teams. Hoping its just a fluke in my recollection.

zagzilla
12-29-2017, 10:03 AM
JW3 looks lost on the offensive end. In past years, opponents who doubled the post would pay for it because PK would pass to an open man who would stick a shot. JW3, will try to go 1 on 2 and force a shot that leads to a defensive rebound and transition opportunity the other way.

I do not think Larsen is the answer. The answer is for him to work on passing out of double teams and to stop forcing high-risk interior passes

ZZ

sittingon50
12-29-2017, 10:05 AM
Melson avg. 10.1 a game & has a 2.3 A/TO ratio. Works for me.

hooter73
12-29-2017, 10:07 AM
dang, see when you look at the stats, its obvious. funny how that is. Good call.

Hoopaholic
12-29-2017, 10:09 AM
Melson will play for his defense alone. Not ideal but better than some situations we've been in with underscoring guards. I'm trying to keep myself from looking up Perkins stats game by game. He seems to play just fine against low level competition, but not show well against equal or greater teams. Hoping its just a fluke in my recollection.

Perkins against the top 7 teams to date ( Ohio, Florida, Texas,creighton,Villanova up,sdst)
26-62. 42%
19-42 3 point shooting 45%
26-34 free throws. 76%

3.9 rebounds per game
5.9 assist per game
13.3 points per game
3.7 turnovers per game

1.6 assist to turnover ratio

Seems to be solid against tough competition IMO
Fewer turnovers and these stats would be exceptional

Hoopaholic
12-29-2017, 10:10 AM
JW3 looks lost on the offensive end. In past years, opponents who doubled the post would pay for it because PK would pass to an open man who would stick a shot. JW3, will try to go 1 on 2 and force a shot that leads to a defensive rebound and transition opportunity the other way.

I do not think Larsen is the answer. The answer is for him to work on passing out of double teams and to stop forcing high-risk interior passes

ZZ
I actually think the big problem is the lack of movement from his teammates and uncertainty as to where the other 4 will be at

Last night he got doubled right block he backed out of double but no one moved into good angle or dive to hoop

Goshzagit
12-29-2017, 11:41 AM
Amazing to me how J3 simply does not know how to react to a double team.

He occasionally dribbles "out" to the 3pt line and passes it to the off guard, yet after wasting 15-20 seconds in the shot clock, leading to a poor attempt or rushed possession.

Most of the time, he put his head down and bounce dribbles to the middle of the paint, where he commits an offensive foul and/or gets the ball swiped and/or takes a horrible shot.

In the first 3 or 4 games of the season, J3 was dominant vs single man defense. Unstoppable. Now, whether he's doing anything or not, teams double him, because it leads to an awful result, and its effective nearly every time.

More guys need to cut to the rim when J3 gets the ball, almost expect the double (heck, I'd do it too), and Williams needs to make a decision, not wait for the double. Lately, even vs single coverage he's been hesitant or even confused as he expects/awaits the double team.

It really kills our offensive flow and makes the guards look bad since J3 wastes so much time with the ball, even when he dribbles outta the double team (necessity but bad habit). We must find a way to find the open shooter or man cutting. J3 gets locked in on dribble drive or dribble out.

A big reason why our team plays so much better with Larsen in the game. Again, too many people/posters are focused on what Larsen brings himself or compare him to J3 or Tillie, but that's not the point. I feel even our Coaches get confused because Larsen isn't going to put up 20 pts or shoot a 3 or dominate a game (yet).

Its about the uptick in fluidity, efficiency, and opponents defense WHILE Larsen is playing. He does not hesitate, nor is he doubled, and if he is....well....the ball is kept high and he passes out of it. Again, the reason I think Larsen should start, J3 play the 4, is not because he can bring more as an individual talent, rather the cohesiveness and presence he offers at his actual position on the court.

hooter73
12-29-2017, 11:57 AM
Its about the uptick in fluidity, efficiency, and opponents defense WHILE Larsen is playing. He does not hesitate, nor is he doubled, and if he is....well....the ball is kept high and he passes out of it. Again, the reason I think Larsen should start, J3 play the 4, is not because he can bring more as an individual talent, rather the cohesiveness and presence he offers at his actual position on the court.
:clap:

ZagsObserver
12-29-2017, 12:06 PM
Melson avg. 10.1 a game & has a 2.3 A/TO ratio. Works for me.

It’s the 41 percent shooting percentage that is less than ideal.

sittingon50
12-29-2017, 12:39 PM
It’s the 41 percent shooting percentage that is less than ideal.

Could be better ZO, agreed. Was referencing the D only, underscoring guard comment.

Between the #'s I already mentioned & his D plus his .893 FT% and the fact he is the only guy in the rotation with more steals than TO's, it "works for me" that he is an important piece of the puzzle.

bballbeachbum
12-29-2017, 12:50 PM
not just Larsen right? Rui changed the game by being able to attack with his dribble in his front court matchup, often from the high post but not only. Neither JIII nor KT have been able to effectively do it: Few gets the ball to JIII at the high post to eliminate the double team he sees in the low block but he's struggled to consistently make that work seems to me, and KT has been in some kind of funk offensively for some time now, fouls, turnovers, missed shots
anyway, when Larsen balances the floor or any Zag does damage inside like Rui did last night, look what happens. Zags keep going to JIII and Tillie for that production, when they give it the Zags rock, but they've been unable to deliver more often than not so far. Few said as much. This has been a big missing link from the Zags attack this year

Chicken Ball
12-29-2017, 01:24 PM
Am I misremembering, or were we not very happy with the teams passing at the PK 80 tournament?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DixieZag
12-29-2017, 01:34 PM

He occasionally dribbles "out" to the 3pt line and passes it to the off guard, yet after wasting 15-20 seconds in the shot clock, leading to a poor attempt or rushed possession.

Most of the time, he put his head down and bounce dribbles to the middle of the paint, where he commits an offensive foul and/or gets the ball swiped and/or takes a horrible shot.

In the first 3 or 4 games of the season, J3 was dominant vs single man defense. Unstoppable. Now, whether he's doing anything or not, teams double him, because it leads to an awful result, and its effective nearly every time.

More guys need to cut to the rim when J3 gets the ball, almost expect the double (heck, I'd do it too), and Williams needs to make a decision, not wait for the double. Lately, even vs single coverage he's been hesitant or even confused as he expects/awaits the double team.

It really kills our offensive flow and makes the guards look bad since J3 wastes so much time with the ball, even when he dribbles outta the double team (necessity but bad habit). We must find a way to find the open shooter or man cutting. J3 gets locked in on dribble drive or dribble out.

A big reason why our team plays so much better with Larsen in the game. Again, too many people/posters are focused on what Larsen brings himself or compare him to J3 or Tillie, but that's not the point. I feel even our Coaches get confused because Larsen isn't going to put up 20 pts or shoot a 3 or dominate a game (yet).

Such a good post. Like going to basketball class.

Zags11
12-29-2017, 04:09 PM
Perkins against the top 7 teams to date ( Ohio, Florida, Texas,creighton,Villanova up,sdst)
26-62. 42%
19-42 3 point shooting 45%
26-34 free throws. 76%

3.9 rebounds per game
5.9 assist per game
13.3 points per game
3.7 turnovers per game

1.6 assist to turnover ratio

Seems to be solid against tough competition IMO
Fewer turnovers and these stats would be exceptional

Stop with facts. Let the mob slay Perkins with opinions.

JPtheBeasta
12-29-2017, 04:48 PM
This thread isn’t about Perkins. It’s about the disappearing act of the bigs.

amaronizag
12-29-2017, 05:20 PM
I agree with what Goshzagit posted about J3's problems in the paint. I would add that when we are running the offense, he frequently finds himself wide open with the ball at the top of the key. The defense is sagged into the middle because he isn't taking those open threes. He isn't a great shooter from that range, but he needs to start taking them when he's open to keep the defense honest. He also isn't a great passer to the inside from the top of the key. He likes to drive to the hoop from the top of the key and has mixed results there also. Some spectacular dunks but charges and turn-overs as well. I like him best catching passes inside and working about 8 feet and closer to the hoop.

MontanaCoyote
12-29-2017, 06:02 PM
:clap:

Kind of the ghost or shadow of Shem!

GonzagasaurusFlex
12-29-2017, 07:00 PM

Goshzagright!

Reborn
12-29-2017, 07:06 PM
Hope he can begin to improve every day