• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Reborn
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2007

I saw Brock Ravet play last night.

I am really amazed at how good he is. I mean totally amazed. He's a really different kind of player than I had seen from his videos. He was really cold from behind the arc (which surprised me) but he has a beautiful shot and most of the misses where half-way through the hoop. They are playing in the Sun Dome here in Yakima and it's hard for kids to shoot in that kind of arena. However the kid can really play the game, and I have never seen a high school player who can play like Ravet. I've seen Pendo and Steven Gray play here, as well Riddnaur who went on to play at Oregon. Steven Gray is one of my all time favorite Zags and Rivet is better. He's a GREAT point guard. He's the best ball handler and passer I've ever seen, by far. Zillah is a great High School team and presses a lot. Rivet beat the press time after time with three-quarter length passes that reminded me of Wilson's passes to Baldwin for TD's. I mean his passing is beautiful, a piece of art. You all know I love passing, and he can do it.

He's by far the best dribbler I've ever seen. Zillah double teamed him the whole first half, and they weren't even close to stopping him from attacking the hoop time after time. The only way they had a chance to control him was to tripple team at half court. However, the never really controlled him because he shredded that 3 against one game with pin perfect passes to team mates. However, Kittitas was really a very very bad team, and his team mates time after time couldn't score when they had a 4 on 2 game. I felt sorry for Rivet because he really wanted to beat Zillah. Back to his dribbling. He keeps the ball so low, and has such great control of his body, and he's really fast. He's athletic as heck and really gets high up when he get's to the basket. It was amazing to watch him go 1 on 5 and score inside many many times. He'd just dribble his way through the whole team.

It's rare to see a player this good. He's a crowd pleaser for sure. Even Zillah's fans were oooing and ahhhhhing. He's like watching a beautiful sunset on the ocean. Just incredible. He's playing again at noon today. Of course I'll be there. It's a fantastic experience to see a game played as well as Brock can play it.

I know you all want to know about him. I had doubts too because he's only 6'1" and comes from a B school. You need to no longer doubt. Pendo was from a B school, and Gray from an A. Ravet, as I said is better, and is much better than Pendo was. And we all know how much he meant to Gonzaga basketball.

Go Zags!

My son saw Watson play and I wasn't aware he was in Yakima so I was out doing something else. I missed seeing him play. DANG IT. However Demian said that the kid is GREAT. 6' 9". i DIDN'T know he was that tall. Demian was thinking that he had not signed with the Zags, and fears that teams like UCLA, Washington, even the big boys like Duke ect will be all over him later on in his career. Dame said he only committed to play. Is that true? I looked at Zag Native's scholly chart and it shows he's on scholarship. Any way. I guess these two local kids are going to be really great Zags in a couple of years.
    Last edited by Reborn; 12-29-2017, 08:15 AM.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!
  • Zagdawg
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Ravet

Thanks for taking the time to share-- it is good to hear.

Comment

• Goshzagit
      Zag for Life
      • Dec 2007

Nice post and thanks for the report, Reebs.

I've been a Ravet supporter from the beginning. He could be a star at this level. He is 2" away from being all-american type talent one day.

Hope he continues to grow and fill out more.

As I said in an earlier post, he has extremely advanced moves and wiggle 99% players don't have at the same stage. His use of hesitation, pick n pop, spins usually take years to develop. He gets it. Very savvy with the ball, quick, & can shoot from anywhere.

Has some Raivio and McNamara to his game.

His competition has been questioned and deservdely so, yet when you watch Brock, he has it. Once he gains experience vs better talent, he will match it. High motor too. Tireless worker on the court, not just off it. His handles are terrific.

When I first watched him, I thought he looked like Jesse Wade yet with wayyyyy more advanced repertoire to his game, and nearly as good of shooter. Not as much elevation or pure shot, but just more of a baller all around.

As much as I've backed Brock, it's Greg Foster I see little to no Gonzaga level talent, UNLESS he keeps growing into a wing type player with good handles and smart play.

Comment

• NEC26
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Thanks for sharing!

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
          Zag for Life
          • Oct 2008

Was the kid from Oregon Luke Ridnour?

He was a great college player and a good NBA one. If Ravet is showing glimpses of Ridnour that would be high praise.

Comparing Ravet to a sunset is a nice one. I’ll bet even Jazz likes a good sunset, even the 2 and 3 star ones.

Comment

• Reborn
            Zag for Life
            • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Goshzagit View Post
            Nice post and thanks for the report, Reebs.

I've been a Ravet supporter from the beginning. He could be a star at this level. He is 2" away from being all-american type talent one day.

Hope he continues to grow and fill out more.

As I said in an earlier post, he has extremely advanced moves and wiggle 99% players don't have at the same stage. His use of hesitation, pick n pop, spins usually take years to develop. He gets it. Very savvy with the ball, quick, & can shoot from anywhere.

Has some Raivio and McNamara to his game.

His competition has been questioned and deservdely so, yet when you watch Brock, he has it. Once he gains experience vs better talent, he will match it. High motor too. Tireless worker on the court, not just off it. His handles are terrific.

When I first watched him, I thought he looked like Jesse Wade yet with wayyyyy more advanced repertoire to his game, and nearly as good of shooter. Not as much elevation or pure shot, but just more of a baller all around.

As much as I've backed Brock, it's Greg Foster I see little to no Gonzaga level talent, UNLESS he keeps growing into a wing type player with good handles and smart play.
            Foster sounds great. Where'd you see him play? Thanks for your report on Ravet, and I apologize for the misspelling of his name. I'll fix it.
            Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
              Banned
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Reborn View Post
              I am really amazed at how good he is. I mean totally amazed. He's a really different kind of player than I had seen from his videos. He was really cold from behind the arc (which surprised me) but he has a beautiful shot and most of the misses where half-way through the hoop. They are playing in the Sun Dome here in Yakima and it's hard for kids to shoot in that kind of arena. However the kid can really play the game, and I have never seen a high school player who can play like Ravet. I've seen Pendo and Steven Gray play here, as well Riddnaur who went on to play at Oregon. Steven Gray is one of my all time favorite Zags and Rivet is better. He's a GREAT point guard. He's the best ball handler and passer I've ever seen, by far. Zillah is a great High School team and presses a lot. Rivet beat the press time after time with three-quarter length passes that reminded me of Wilson's passes to Baldwin for TD's. I mean his passing is beautiful, a piece of art. You all know I love passing, and he can do it.

He's by far the best dribbler I've ever seen. Zillah double teamed him the whole first half, and they weren't even close to stopping him from attacking the hoop time after time. The only way they had a chance to control him was to tripple team at half court. However, the never really controlled him because he shredded that 3 against one game with pin perfect passes to team mates. However, Kittitas was really a very very bad team, and his team mates time after time couldn't score when they had a 4 on 2 game. I felt sorry for Rivet because he really wanted to beat Zillah. Back to his dribbling. He keeps the ball so low, and has such great control of his body, and he's really fast. He's athletic as heck and really gets high up when he get's to the basket. It was amazing to watch him go 1 on 5 and score inside many many times. He'd just dribble his way through the whole team.

It's rare to see a player this good. He's a crowd pleaser for sure. Even Zillah's fans were oooing and ahhhhhing. He's like watching a beautiful sunset on the ocean. Just incredible. He's playing again at noon today. Of course I'll be there. It's a fantastic experience to see a game played as well as Brock can play it.

I know you all want to know about him. I had doubts too because he's only 6'1" and comes from a B school. You need to no longer doubt. Pendo was from a B school, and Gray from an A. Ravet, as I said is better, and is much better than Pendo was. And we all know how much he meant to Gonzaga basketball.

Go Zags!

My son saw Watson play and I wasn't aware he was in Yakima so I was out doing something else. I missed seeing him play. DANG IT. However Demian said that the kid is GREAT. 6' 9". i DIDN'T know he was that tall. Demian was thinking that he had not signed with the Zags, and fears that teams like UCLA, Washington, even the big boys like Duke ect will be all over him later on in his career. Dame said he only committed to play. Is that true? I looked at Zag Native's scholly chart and it shows he's on scholarship. Any way. I guess these two local kids are going to be really great Zags in a couple of years.
              Watson and Ravet are both commits, but neither have signed yet, because they can't, they're both juniors. Thanks for the review, btw.

Comment

• Worthington
                Bleeds GU Blue
                • Aug 2011

Love hearing these kinds of reports, thanks for sharing! Would love to hear your assessment of his performance in the second game, as well.

Comment

• scrooner
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

There are a couple of new highlights on his Hudl page as well, from Dec 15 and Dec 19:

Watch brock ravet's videos and highlights on Hudl. More info: Kittitas High School - Boys' Varsity Basketball / PG, SG / Class of 2019 / Kittitas, WA

Comment

• hooter73
                    Zag for Life
                    • Jun 2008

I'm behind Ravet and hope Watson advances some more, but I dont get Foster from the reports.

Comment

• CDC84
                      Super Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Pendergraft's competition was questioned as well. The way I look at it, if 247 can put any kid from the middle of Washington in its top 70, he's got to be talented. Either that or talent scouts are catching on to the fact that if Mark Few hands out and gets one of the first 2019 commits, it's probably because the guy is super good.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by hooter73 View Post
                        I'm behind Ravet and hope Watson advances some more, but I dont get Foster from the reports.
                        Hidden gem? His dad knows the value of a great coaching staff. Greg improved greatly under the watchful eye of The Bear.

Comment

• hooter73
                          Zag for Life
                          • Jun 2008

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
                          Pendergraft's competition was questioned as well. The way I look at it, if 247 can put any kid from the middle of Washington in its top 70, he's got to be talented. Either that or talent scouts are catching on to the fact that if Mark Few hands out and gets one of the first 2019 commits, it's probably because the guy is super good.
                          I hope its that and not jumping in too fast after getting skunked in target recruits a few too many times in the last year or two.

Comment

• hooter73
                            Zag for Life
                            • Jun 2008

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post
                            Hidden gem? His dad knows the value of a great coaching staff. Greg improved greatly under the watchful eye of The Bear.
                            You have to figure thats the case but then I think about the coaches kids or nba players kids that never did crack the line ups. I dont know, maybe save some walk on spots for those players who have the pedigree and the smarts but havent fully developed teh high level skills or speed or whatever just yet. I freely admit I havent followed Foster much, mostly because there isnt much press out there to follow, so if the staff likes him, there has to be something there. I think some of my hang up is that we are a national championship caliber program and dont seem to be high level recruiting like one. But again, fans dont know dink about the insides of program recruiting so I may be way off base.

Comment

Working...
                            X