PDA

View Full Version : Post game thread vs Pacific

Zags11
12-28-2017, 11:19 PM
Ugly first half. Crowd was dead and the players looked dead.

They picked it up obviously in the 2nd half but we got to stop coming out flat.

Thoughts?

Reborn
12-29-2017, 06:58 AM
You know, I'm really beginning to believe that the starting five really do not play well together. They haven't really played well together for much of the season. I believe it's a chemistry thing because they are all good players. Norvell doesn't really play well with them either. Few, most likely is too stubborn to change it.

The first half was UGLY. Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Second half they looked like Gonzaga.

The positive points: Passing was much better. They only had 7 turn overs, and Josh played a lot better at the point. The players just need to take better care of the ball, and they did last night. It was good to see Kispert finding his game again. I really like him, and he's going to help the team out immensely. He's a very good defensive player most of the time, and a great rebounder. Rui was very good too. Led the team in scoring. He knows how to get to the line; and he's a GREAT free throw shooter. He's also really good at boarding and to your surprise he's great on defense. He's one big who can guard the opponents guards. Norvell is Norvell. He's good. And I see him working hard on the defense. Finally, the team really played great defense tonight. It was nice to see them working their butts off on the defensive end of the court. I really like how Rui plays D. He's a little clumsy at times, but dang, he can get low and he really knows how to take away the crossover dribble. AND of course he's tall. Melson played really D as well, and as I've already mentioned Kispert as well. Honestly, everyone worked hard on D, and that was really what I was hoping to see. Defense, and better passing and better care of the basketball.

Some stats: Rui with 19, Perkins with 16, Norvell 13 and Kispert 12. Hard to believe that JW3 could only score 2 points. We out rebounded them 46 to 32. We held them to 48 points (great). We shot poorly really, but mostly because of the first half. We ended up shooting 45% for the game and 34% from behind the arc. We did make 11 threes but out of 34 shots for 32% (not good). They shot 71% from the foul line.

In my opinion we've had way too many games like this one this year. Poor first half and very good second half. I think Mark Few needs to fix this. It could upset some players, but GU basketball is not about the egos of some players. It's becoming a fact that some players are playing crappy for some reason, and two of them are seniors..........enough said.

jazzdelmar
12-29-2017, 07:04 AM
Rui is 31-33 from the line for 94%.

1 Fletcher Magee Wofford Terriers G 100.0%
1 Marcus Merriweather Alabama A&M Bulldogs G 100.0%
1 Markus Howard Marquette Golden Eagles G 100.0%
4 Egor Koulechov Florida Gators G 96.8%
5 Bryant McIntosh Northwestern Wildcats G 96.7%
6 Darius Perry Louisville Cardinals G 95.5%
6 Zach Hunsaker Brown Bears G 95.5%
6 Ryan Kreklow Missouri St. Bears G 95.5%
9 Grant Benzinger Wright St. Raiders G 95.3%
10 Brandon Tabb Bethune-Cookman Wildcats G 95.1%
11 Jermaine Jackson Jr. Detroit Mercy Titans G 94.6%
11 Jordan Andrews South Alabama Jaguars G 94.6%
13 Junior Robinson Mount St. Mary's Mountaineers G 94.2%
14 Jeff Roberson Vanderbilt Commodores F 94.0%
15 Rui Hachimura Gonzaga Bulldogs F 93.9%

42 Killian Tillie Gonzaga Bulldogs F 90.9%

64 Silas Melson Gonzaga Bulldogs G 89.3%

Hoopaholic
12-29-2017, 07:07 AM
You know, I'm really beginning to believe that the starting five really do not play well together. They haven't really played well together for much of the season. I believe it's a chemistry thing because they are all good players. Norvell doesn't really play well with them either. Few, most likely is too stubborn to change it.

The first half was UGLY. Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Second half they looked like Gonzaga.

The positive points: Passing was much better. They only had 7 turn overs, and Josh played a lot better at the point. The players just need to take better care of the ball, and they did last night. It was good to see Kispert finding his game again. I really like him, and he's going to help the team out immensely. He's a very good defensive player most of the time, and a great rebounder. Rui was very good too. Led the team in scoring. He knows how to get to the line; and he's a GREAT free throw shooter. He's also really good at boarding and to your surprise he's great on defense. He's one big who can guard the opponents guards. Norvell is Norvell. He's good. And I see him working hard on the defense. Finally, the team really played great defense tonight. It was nice to see them working their butts off on the defensive end of the court. I really like how Rui plays D. He's a little clumsy at times, but dang, he can get low and he really knows how to take away the crossover dribble. AND of course he's tall. Melson played really D as well, and as I've already mentioned Kispert as well. Honestly, everyone worked hard on D, and that was really what I was hoping to see. Defense, and better passing and better care of the basketball.

Some stats: Rui with 19, Perkins with 16, Norvell 13 and Kispert 12. Hard to believe that JW3 could only score 2 points. We out rebounded them 46 to 32. We held them to 48 points (great). We shot poorly really, but mostly because of the first half. We ended up shooting 45% for the game and 34% from behind the arc. We did make 11 threes but out of 34 shots for 32% (not good). They shot 71% from the foul line.

In my opinion we've had way too many games like this one this year. Poor first half and very good second half. I think Mark Few needs to fix this. It could upset some players, but GU basketball is not about the egos of some players. It's becoming a fact that some players are playing crappy for some reason, and two of them are seniors..........enough said.

Agree with much of what you said except rui good at boarding...last night he had 3 rebounds in 22 minutes
For season he is averaging 4.4
Last 5 games averaging 3.6

Imo area he should excel at and needs improvement

Reborn
12-29-2017, 07:32 AM
Thanks. I guess whenever he gets one, I'm impressed. hahahaha I do like Rui a lot. hahaha Between you and me, I have always believed that he's much better than Tillie, even thought I believe Tillie is really good. Rui was much better in the Fiba tournament this summer. Tillie looked about the same as he does now. Very good but also inconsistent as a scorer. Tillie is tough, and a good rebounder, but seems to take it easy at times on offense. I like seeing Tillie and Rui in the game at the same time.

Reborn
12-29-2017, 07:39 AM
38 points from out bench last night, and 43 for five starters. Rui with 19, Kispert with 12 and Larsen with 6. Ooops I missed the one point from Jones. So thats 39 from our bench. I'm still surprised with the limited time that Larsen plays, especially as he continues to put up really good stats. It must be his knees.

TexasZagFan
12-29-2017, 09:10 AM
Thanks. I guess whenever he gets one, I'm impressed. hahahaha I do like Rui a lot. hahaha Between you and me, I have always believed that he's much better than Tillie, even thought I believe Tillie is really good. Rui was much better in the Fiba tournament this summer. Tillie looked about the same as he does now. Very good but also inconsistent as a scorer. Tillie is tough, and a good rebounder, but seems to take it easy at times on offense. I like seeing Tillie and Rui in the game at the same time.

I’ve noticed that Tillie and Larsen play very well together. Perhaps a 3-5 of Rui, Tillie, and Jacob? Not throwing J3 under the bus, we know what he’s capable of.

ZagsGoZags
12-29-2017, 09:17 AM
I agree with Reborn that Rui picked it up on defense tonight. He was actually moving laterally well, while staying low. Still needs to not overreact when the opponent gets past him.
Hoping team will gel by late Feb, like two years ago.

TexasZagFan
12-29-2017, 09:17 AM
Two games in a row where we started poorly, 11-0 and 6-0. Crap like that can lead to unexpected losses, particularly in road games.

Zags11
12-29-2017, 09:55 AM
Two games in a row where we started poorly, 11-0 and 6-0. Crap like that can lead to unexpected losses, particularly in road games.

Yep. 11-0 deficit to SDSU cost us. I know it was early but you can't have that happen to you on the road. (Like you said)