PDA

View Full Version : Other Games 12/28/17

Sound Voltex
12-28-2017, 08:59 PM
WCC Opening Night:

BYU 69, Portland 45
San Diego 73, San Francisco 63
Santa Clara 72, Pepperdine 65
Saint Mary's 87, Loyola Marymount 59 (was 44-18 SMC at halftime)

kitzbuel
12-28-2017, 10:30 PM
The bottom half of the conference quickly found their places.

sittingon50
12-28-2017, 10:46 PM
Incarnate Word 62
McNeese State 85

Creighton 84 (blows a 13 pt. 2nd half lead)
Seton Hall 90

IUPUI 59
No. Kentucky 77

SWZag
12-28-2017, 11:39 PM
WCC Opening Night:

BYU 69, Portland 45
San Diego 73, San Francisco 63
Santa Clara 72, Pepperdine 65
Saint Mary's 87, Loyola Marymount 59 (was 44-18 SMC at halftime)

USD is putting together a very nice season thus far.

kitzbuel
12-29-2017, 02:33 AM
And UWYO thumped SDSU Weds night 82-69.

GoZags
12-29-2017, 03:37 AM
And yet somehow the Zags KenPom ranking climbed from
13 to 12.

TexasZagFan
12-29-2017, 04:53 AM
And UWYO thumped SDSU Weds night 82-69.

Kitz, that’s a tough venue for an opponent, if only for the altitude. Looking at the game stats, Wyoming outscored them by 16. Not making excuses for the Aztecs, they were ripe for the picking after beating us.

jazzdelmar
12-29-2017, 05:38 AM
Kitz, thatís a tough venue for an opponent, if only for the altitude. Looking at the game stats, Wyoming outscored them by 16. Not making excuses for the Aztecs, they were ripe for the picking after beating us.

Local take on SDSU loss:

1. Pizza boy

Hayden Dalton was slinging pies to make some extra cash during high school, and the owner of Big Billís New York Pizza happened to be a former NBA scout who knew the coaches at Wyoming.

With an 11.2-point average as a senior at Chaparral High in the Denver suburbs and no Division I offers, Dalton had gone to Central Wyoming JC in Riverton (population: 10,997) and averaged just 8.8 points there. But the scout turned pizza baron noticed the skinny 6-foot-8 forward had grown a couple inches and was making 41.7 percent of his 3s, and he recommended him to Wyoming.

Dalton transferred after one year in JC and averaged 3.8 points for the Cowboys as a sophomore.

This is the guy, now a senior, who dropped 36 points (on just 17 shots), 15 rebounds, five assists and two blocks on the Aztecs. This is the team that was up 19 against them.

The Cowboysí next highest scorer Wednesday, with four 3s and 14 points, was 5-11 sophomore guard Cody Kelley from Gillette, Wyo. He came to Wyoming as a walk-on.

Starting forward Alan Herndon was a two-star recruit from Colorado whose only other offers were from Denver and Air Force.

SDSU? It started a five-star, two four-star and two three-star recruits Wednesday.

If anyone should understand the foolís gold of twinkling recruiting stars, itís the Aztecs. They used to be that team stocked with undervalued, overlooked players with an unquenched thirst to prove they belong. In 2012, they started a three-star, two-star and three zero-star recruits (including a guy who was cut from his high school team) and beat a UCLA squad with five McDonaldís All-Americans.

Talent usually prevails in college basketball. But not always, not every night.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/aztecs/sd-sp-sdsu-basketball-3-thoughts-wyoming-20171228-story.html

thespywhozaggedme
12-29-2017, 05:58 AM
Local take on SDSU loss:

1. Pizza boy

Hayden Dalton was slinging pies to make some extra cash during high school, and the owner of Big Billís New York Pizza happened to be a former NBA scout who knew the coaches at Wyoming.

With an 11.2-point average as a senior at Chaparral High in the Denver suburbs and no Division I offers, Dalton had gone to Central Wyoming JC in Riverton (population: 10,997) and averaged just 8.8 points there. But the scout turned pizza baron noticed the skinny 6-foot-8 forward had grown a couple inches and was making 41.7 percent of his 3s, and he recommended him to Wyoming.

Dalton transferred after one year in JC and averaged 3.8 points for the Cowboys as a sophomore.

This is the guy, now a senior, who dropped 36 points (on just 17 shots), 15 rebounds, five assists and two blocks on the Aztecs. This is the team that was up 19 against them.

The Cowboysí next highest scorer Wednesday, with four 3s and 14 points, was 5-11 sophomore guard Cody Kelley from Gillette, Wyo. He came to Wyoming as a walk-on.

Starting forward Alan Herndon was a two-star recruit from Colorado whose only other offers were from Denver and Air Force.

SDSU? It started a five-star, two four-star and two three-star recruits Wednesday.

If anyone should understand the foolís gold of twinkling recruiting stars, itís the Aztecs. They used to be that team stocked with undervalued, overlooked players with an unquenched thirst to prove they belong. In 2012, they started a three-star, two-star and three zero-star recruits (including a guy who was cut from his high school team) and beat a UCLA squad with five McDonaldís All-Americans.

Talent usually prevails in college basketball. But not always, not every night.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/aztecs/sd-sp-sdsu-basketball-3-thoughts-wyoming-20171228-story.html

I love stories like that. Thanks for sharing!

ToreroStudent
12-29-2017, 11:32 AM
So I got to attend last night’s USD game against USF. I went to every home game and every road game I could during my college tenure, including the 2008 upset of UConn. I think people would consider that 2008 team our best ever.

The team I saw last night was better than the 2008 team and it wasn’t even close. It’s the defense. No one should sleep on USD because that looked like a tournament team to me. The #11 overall defense is as advertised and they play like a team.

I’m incredibly excited to see how WCC play turns out. Looks like I’ll have to fly back in for Gonzaga. I think it’s going to be a very good ball game.

Goshzagit
12-29-2017, 11:46 AM
SMC impressive vs LMU.

Look at LMU's boxscores HERE (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/2351/loyola-marymount-lions).

While they aren't world beaters, they don't get blown out like that. They lose close, contested battles.

They lost to UW by 3
UT-Arlington (NCAA bound) by 5
Portland St (good team btw) by 9
Oregon St by 4

Lost to SMC by 28.

St Mary's is catching fire...and their groove.

They freshman sharp shooter and senior transfer are finally getting going.

#1 in NCAA in least about TO's per game. They don't beat themselves. Or miss shots very often (Top 10 in 3pt % too). Dangerous Squad.

kitzbuel
12-29-2017, 01:40 PM
Kitz, thatís a tough venue for an opponent, if only for the altitude. Looking at the game stats, Wyoming outscored them by 16. Not making excuses for the Aztecs, they were ripe for the picking after beating us.Yeah, lived in Laramie for years. Born there, went to grad school at UWYO

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

sittingon50
12-29-2017, 01:40 PM
And yet somehow the Zags KenPom ranking climbed from
13 to 12.

And @ the moment #11.

sideshow06
12-29-2017, 03:03 PM
St Mary's is catching fire...and their groove.

They freshman sharp shooter and senior transfer are finally getting going.

#1 in NCAA in least about TO's per game. They don't beat themselves. Or miss shots very often (Top 10 in 3pt % too). Dangerous Squad.

Just watch the second play... https://youtu.be/5fEI1DoCWCI. Just about broke my brain. Thatís the kind of night it was.

kyle dixon
12-29-2017, 03:10 PM
I like the first play better.

zagzilla
12-29-2017, 04:32 PM
So I got to attend last nightís USD game against USF. I went to every home game and every road game I could during my college tenure, including the 2008 upset of UConn. I think people would consider that 2008 team our best ever.

The team I saw last night was better than the 2008 team and it wasnít even close. Itís the defense. No one should sleep on USD because that looked like a tournament team to me. The #11 overall defense is as advertised and they play like a team.

Iím incredibly excited to see how WCC play turns out. Looks like Iíll have to fly back in for Gonzaga. I think itís going to be a very good ball game.

I remember that 2008 team. Went on a 3 game heater beating SMC, GU and UConn before flaming out against 12 seed WKU.

For the current Torreros, Hard to tell how good that win against the Buffs really was. We'll see how they show in PAc12 but still a nice win for WCC overall.

Is Isaiah Wright better than the late great Johnny Dee? I liked that kid.

ZZ

jazzdelmar
12-29-2017, 04:39 PM
I remember that 2008 team. Went on a 3 game heater beating SMC, GU and UConn before flaming out against 12 seed WKU.

For the current Torreros, Hard to tell how good that win against the Buffs really was. We'll see how they show in PAc12 but still a nice win for WCC overall.

ZZ

Wasn’t the fixer on that 2008 squad?

Johnny isn’t late, he’s playing in Spain.

seacatfan
12-29-2017, 11:48 PM

ZZ

Can't tell too much from one game, but the Buffs lost by 19 @ OSU (a mediocre team at best so far this year) in the conference opener. Not a good start for CU. Face an Oregon team next that will probably be pretty pissed off after losing their conference opener against Utah.

ToreroStudent
12-30-2017, 07:41 AM

ZZ

�� Johnny Dee was awesome and easily the best shooter in USD history. Brandon Johnson (dispite history) is still the best pure scorer I’ve seen. Isaiah Wright is the most complete player we’ve ever had and Pineiro is pretty great as well. Scary that most of the are JR or younger.

Heading to one more today for I head back to Texas. It’ll be interesting to see what the Wave look like these days.