PDA

View Full Version : Why is Larsen not receiving more playing time?

Murphy outgo lifer
12-26-2017, 10:29 AM
I am curious to hear the board's thoughts on why Larsen is not getting more playing time. He is one of the most fundamentally sound big men freshman I can remember playing at GU and we desperately need more size and a true center. So why is he not getting much playing time?

Great Hands
Good court vision and patience
Physical Re-bounder (both out of area and in)
Good timing and hops for shot blocking and changing
Great hedge defender
Good offensive re-boundeer
Quick ups and looks to dunk everything

Needs work on his offensive repertoire but he can easily get 8-10 pts just by being a blue-collar garbage man out there.

He was the only one that looked like he belonged on the same court with Villanova and after the game Mark Few stated he earned a bigger role and more PT, yet, that has not happened. What am I missing?

jazzdelmar
12-26-2017, 10:33 AM
No idea. But that's certainly a question one of the Zag beat writers should ask.

scrooner
12-26-2017, 10:51 AM
Someone asked earlier about how Karnowski & Larsen have compared to this point.

Karnowski vs Larsen, first 12 games freshman year, per 40 minutes:

https://preview.ibb.co/cyYB9m/KvL.jpg (https://ibb.co/cEz7h6)

Murphy outgo lifer
12-26-2017, 11:05 AM

I can't see what you posted but I will say that in my opinion Larsen is a lot more fundamentally sound than Karnowski was as a freshman. Karnowski was more skilled offensively but his defense was severely lacking, I remember multiple occasions where he would just stand down there with his hands up and not move his feet. Remember this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIsFAyJPIJc

He also did not have the best coordination as he kept falling down all the time.

He was also apart of a 4 man bigs rotation that included a senior Elias Harris, Kelly Olynyk'a break-out year, and Sam Dower.

GoZags
12-26-2017, 11:15 AM
No idea.

Did you see his knee buckle in the Washington game?

Have you noticed his diminished playing time since the knee buckled?

This year's Zag team will be much better once the freshmen J twins (Jesse and Jacob) and Corey get a little closer to 100 percent.

Goshzagit
12-26-2017, 11:22 AM
I posted a few times regarding his knee during and after the WA game

He tweaked his surgically repaired knee at the end of 1st half vs UW.

Was told "contusion/bruise", but who knows...

It's been tender/sore ever since.

He was even limping the next game yet no one noticed as he played through it.

Murphy outgo lifer
12-26-2017, 11:24 AM
Did you see his knee buckle in the Washington game?

Have you noticed his diminished playing time since the knee buckled?

This year's Zag team will be much better once the freshmen J twins (Jesse and Jacob) get a little closer to 100 percent.

I have to say that I cannot remember a time when we have so many injuries yet none of the people are benched to get healthy. Wade is hurt but not taking a medical redshirt, just playing 30 seconds a game in scrub time and wasting his freshman year, Corey still comes out and plays 4-5 minutes but he doesn't look healthy, and Larsen is now only playing a couple minutes a game.

I was wondering if Larsen's knee was the issue but why would he be playing at all if it needs to heal?

Zagger
12-26-2017, 12:05 PM
I think it is mainly physical/injury related for the most part. Larsen, if healthy, will get plenty of court mins as time goes on (IMHO). He is improving in his play and quickness. I really like some of the passes he's making. If Larsen can get healed up well I feel he's going to be a very good asset to the team and end up with some serious court time each game. I sure hope that happens before March.

thespywhozaggedme
12-26-2017, 12:19 PM

Any reason you didn't include mpg in your graph?

GoZags
12-26-2017, 12:39 PM

I can loan you Jazzdelmar's slide rule so you can divide the first column (mpg) by 12.

TexasZagFan
12-26-2017, 12:46 PM

Jacob drives an electric car?

sittingon50
12-26-2017, 12:49 PM
I can loan you Jazzdelmar's slide rule so you can divide the first column (mpg) by 12.

Good Luck GZ. Jazz is pretty protective of that device!

sittingon50
12-26-2017, 12:50 PM
Jacob drives an electric car?

:roll:

TexasZagFan
12-26-2017, 12:57 PM

For the youngsters out there, here's a circular slide rule. They became obsolete when HP started making hand held calculators in 1974.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_12isplP5LVY/S9qdcXRFkxI/AAAAAAAADMk/w56_fjcaPnI/s1600/Circular_slide_rule.JPG width="300" height="200"

jazzdelmar
12-26-2017, 01:07 PM
Good Luck GZ. Jazz is pretty protective of that device!

Naa, just my T-square, Fitty. And my photo cropper....2 right angle rulers held together at 2 points, you slide them two ways and then mark the photo w a grease pencil....

El Zag
12-26-2017, 01:37 PM
Why is Wade not receiving more playing time?

seacatfan
12-26-2017, 02:05 PM
Wade is hurt but not taking a medical redshirt, just playing 30 seconds a game in scrub time and wasting his freshman year

Well he already burned his redshirt last season. You can petition the NCAA to get a 6th year of eligibility potentially, but outcomes of that vary. I think that may be out the window though because of number of games played already this season.

Bogozags
12-26-2017, 02:23 PM

These figures prove exactly why Jacob Larsen isn't getting more PT...he shoots Fts at a higher rate, rebounds better has a higher assist rate, would average more blocks has less TOs but would foul out much more often...so coach has to use him more sparingly...:rolleyes:

IMO he is the better player all things being equal...he should get more playing time in WCC play...

willandi
12-26-2017, 02:24 PM
Well he already burned his redshirt last season. You can petition the NCAA to get a 6th year of eligibility potentially, but outcomes of that vary. I think that may be out the window though because of number of games played already this season.

Wasn't he on a Mission last year?

Bogozags
12-26-2017, 02:28 PM
For the youngsters out there, here's a circular slide rule. They became obsolete when HP started making hand held calculators in 1974.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_12isplP5LVY/S9qdcXRFkxI/AAAAAAAADMk/w56_fjcaPnI/s1600/Circular_slide_rule.JPG width="300" height="200"

As a PE major, never saw one of these before...it might well have helped plotting angles for shot trajectory!

raise the zag
12-26-2017, 02:59 PM
I'm convinced he should be starting; not because he is better than Tillie or J3, but because he's a better fit at his actual position and for the team.

Not to mention, Killian has proven he's the perfect fit for coming off the bench. His selective motor, slow starts, foul issues, etc are best for easing his way into the game. Last time he came off the bench, he scored 27 pts. Tillie provides the much needed change of pace, bouncy injury, and allows him to figure out what is needed on the court.

Sometimes players can gain a better feel of what to bring to the court -- rebounding, energy, defense, scoring -- when they can watch for a few mins.

By games end, Tillie can still log his 25 mins, but let Larsen get things going. Work the ball, pass outta doubles, defend up front, etc.

Also, above all else, J3 can slide over and play a roaming 4 when Larsen is holding down the middle. We know the talent Tillie/J3 have, but doesn't mean they are better for the team than Larsen playing more mins at the 5, if anything, our efficiency, defense, zone, passing all improve in his time on the floor.

Might even gain even more confidence along the way.

GoZags
12-26-2017, 03:32 PM
Wasn't he on a Mission last year?

Yes.

I don't believe Wade's "clocK" started until this Fall, when he arrived on campus and took his first classes.

Ezag
12-26-2017, 04:13 PM
There must be a reason that Few and Co know that we are not privy to

seacatfan
12-26-2017, 04:22 PM
I might be getting my wires all crossed. I thought Wade took a redshirt year after completing his 2 year mission, but maybe I'm making that up. He's listed as being class of '15.

zag67
12-26-2017, 04:25 PM
If Larsen and Wade are well, then I think that we will be seeing many minutes during the next 3 weeks. We have 6 games that we should be able to get many minutes for everyone. I will be waiting to see how this turns out. I think that Larsen, Wade, Jones, Kispert and Rui will see many minutes. Go Zags. Hopefully this will be the push we need for getting them ready for March.

ZagzKrak
12-26-2017, 06:02 PM
I might be getting my wires all crossed. I thought Wade took a redshirt year after completing his 2 year mission, but maybe I'm making that up. He's listed as being class of '15.

I believe he started his 2 year mission summer of 15 and ended summer of 17

tummydoc
12-26-2017, 10:11 PM
I believe he started his 2 year mission summer of 15 and ended summer of 17This

bartruff1
12-27-2017, 12:47 AM

The Google is your friend...

75Zag
12-27-2017, 05:34 AM
If Larsen is healthy, he should get some quality minutes against Pacific's Namdi Okonkwo. It is always a pleasure to see 2 seven footers battle for position under the basket, and I think Larsen should come out the better in that battle.

Go Bulldogs!

hooter73
12-27-2017, 07:30 AM
#freeWade has four years of eligibility starting this season. By the time he's either healthy or up to game speed, Perkins will be a ghost. Completely worn out instead of just almost completely worn out like he is now. Larsen, if not hurt, should absolutely be starting. Tillie plays like a great sixth man, let him shine and let us have a real center. J3 and XXX are not the double forward attack that Sabonis and Wiltjer were, and his game is attacking on a weak side of a strong center, thats why he was so killer last year and so... whatever he is this year. I mean he's still great, but we (coaches) have got to play to the strengths, not force things. We are just wasting minutes with Tillie starting, Larsen sitting, and J3 playing out of position.

Reborn
12-27-2017, 10:49 AM
The dribble drive, which Few has allowed his post players to use, has been a big mistake imo. That's how and why they are turning the ball over so much. When our post players are lined up on the offensive end twenty feet from the key, then the get the pass and drive and there are 3 player (including guards with quick hands) who are there to make them turn over the basketball.

In terms of Perkins, I've said it before, he penetrates too deeply into the key area and then stops and is either double teamed or tripple teamed. These errors (or mistakes) should be corrected easily, and that's what puzzles me. Why doesn't Few demand change from players who continue to be careless. Maybe he really doesn't have a bench who could give these players some time to sit on the bench and think about how Gonzaga usually plays this game.

bballbeachbum
12-27-2017, 05:08 PM
The dribble drive, which Few has allowed his post players to use, has been a big mistake imo. That's how and why they are turning the ball over so much. When our post players are lined up on the offensive end twenty feet from the key, then the get the pass and drive and there are 3 player (including guards with quick hands) who are there to make them turn over the basketball.

In terms of Perkins, I've said it before, he penetrates too deeply into the key area and then stops and is either double teamed or tripple teamed. These errors (or mistakes) should be corrected easily, and that's what puzzles me. Why doesn't Few demand change from players who continue to be careless. Maybe he really doesn't have a bench who could give these players some time to sit on the bench and think about how Gonzaga usually plays this game.

they use the dribble drive much like E was given that freedom, becasue they don't have the dominant post moves like we've seen before from others in the uniform, my opinion, so Few gets them the ball in the post-extended more, like they did with E. JIII has done OK in it with the correct matchup seemed to me but has struggled to deal with the double team and kicking the ball back out

bballbeachbum
12-27-2017, 05:11 PM
what kind of shape is he is coming back from injury? serious question, do we know?