PDA

View Full Version : 5 Star USC Recruit T. Cherry Decommits

SteveAztec
12-24-2017, 08:57 AM
Since our game was just a few days ago and both schools will be battling on this recruit...I thought this would be of interest on the GU Board.

Probably a one and done. Is it worth it? I know the Aztecs will be going after this local San Diego kid, will the Zags?

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/five-star-class-of-2018-forward-taeshon-cherry-reneges-on-usc-commitment/

Bogozags
12-24-2017, 10:20 AM
He spurned us once before donít think he is interested in us and donít think we are in him either...

He and Williams wouldnít even visit GU...he has his eyes on a P-5 school...IMO

jazzdelmar
12-24-2017, 10:34 AM
He spurned us once before don’t think he is interested in us and don’t think we are in him either...

He and Williams wouldn’t even visit GU...he has his eyes on a P-5 school...IMO

Can he play point?

Bogozags
12-24-2017, 10:44 AM
:lmao:
Can he play point?

thespywhozaggedme
12-24-2017, 11:24 AM
Since our game was just a few days ago and both schools will be battling on this recruit...I thought this would be of interest on the GU Board.

Probably a one and done. Is it worth it? I know the Aztecs will be going after this local San Diego kid, will the Zags?

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/five-star-class-of-2018-forward-taeshon-cherry-reneges-on-usc-commitment/

You should change your thread title. He is not a transfer is a decommit.

SteveAztec
12-24-2017, 02:38 PM
True

MDABE80
12-24-2017, 02:50 PM
Can he play point?

lololololololol.............

Coach Crazy
12-24-2017, 07:58 PM
Pass. Don't want him here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thespywhozaggedme
12-25-2017, 04:43 PM
Pass. Don't want him here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why not?

realtydog
12-25-2017, 08:24 PM
He spurned us once before donít think he is interested in us and donít think we are in him either....

what does him choosing to go elsewhere initially have to do with it???? K.W.

WallaWallaZag
12-26-2017, 03:02 AM
Why not?

he came off as a bit of a diva towards the end of the recruiting process...said some things that turned people off...

thespywhozaggedme
12-26-2017, 06:06 AM
he came off as a bit of a diva towards the end of the recruiting process...said some things that turned people off...

Such as? Plus I'll take someone who may be a bit high maintenance if he's great at basketball over a great guy who sucks at basketball. Mind you, I'm not talking about Cherry, just speaking in generalities.

MDABE80
12-26-2017, 10:04 AM
Anyone know why he's not honoring his
Commitment to USC?

CDC84
12-26-2017, 10:40 AM
F...B...I....

MDABE80
12-26-2017, 11:24 AM
Well if it's the bribery scandal that's causing him to leave."Wherever you go, there you are". He won't avoid any major things by leaving. SO he'll be less than useful no matter where he lands.

Bogozags
12-26-2017, 02:15 PM
what does him choosing to go elsewhere initially have to do with it???? K.W.

If he was truly interested in GU he would have visited...he never did so he really didn't have prime interest in GU...much the same a Williams that went to UA.

No doubt he is a pretty decent high school player and liked the "lime light" of P-5 schools...I would be really surprised if GU is interested...time will tell and if he comes for a visit then there is a chance.

This isn't like NWG leaving UW for GU after his 2nd year...but after he visited he realized GU was an excellent place to come...

realtydog
12-26-2017, 03:00 PM
If he was truly interested in GU he would have visited...he never did so he really didn't have prime interest in GU...much the same a Williams that went to UA.

No doubt he is a pretty decent high school player and liked the "lime light" of P-5 schools...I would be really surprised if GU is interested...time will tell and if he comes for a visit then there is a chance.

This isn't like NWG leaving UW for GU after his 2nd year...but after he visited he realized GU was an excellent place to come...

I would not be surprised if GU staff was really interested---but we both are speculating----also---there are plenty of examples of players committing even though they never visited the campus---and GU has had their share of these

Zagdawg
12-26-2017, 07:28 PM
"Taeshon Cherry is identified as USC recruit mentioned in FBI probe into Trojans assistant Tony Bland"

http://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/la-sp-usc-cherry-fbi-20171226-story.html

JAGzag
12-27-2017, 06:27 AM
"Taeshon Cherry is identified as USC recruit mentioned in FBI probe into Trojans assistant Tony Bland"

http://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/la-sp-usc-cherry-fbi-20171226-story.html

“USC coaches stopped speaking with Cherry the last few weeks”...Yes, he is Player-8 in the indictment and suspect there won’t be a school around that will talk with this young man until his name is cleared.

willandi
12-27-2017, 06:51 AM
"Fifteen schools, including UCLA, contacted Cherry the day he reopened his recruitment."

It's not like he shoplifted in China!

Mantua
12-27-2017, 06:11 PM
"Fifteen schools, including UCLA, contacted Cherry the day he reopened his recruitment."

It's not like he shoplifted in China!

Big Baller League teams are on the list?

Corky
12-27-2017, 06:54 PM
Why not?

Too expensive.

Ezag
12-27-2017, 09:38 PM
Dude is not going to play in the WCC

scrooner
12-28-2017, 01:33 PM
Something tells me the price has gone way down.

Bogozags
12-30-2017, 07:26 AM
Something tells me the price has gone way down.

He has already made a bundle so won’t require as much or any at all this time around.

willandi
12-30-2017, 07:30 AM
Not directed at any body in particular, but if a student athlete is convicted and sent to prison, does that count the same as going on a mission with their eligibility is held in abeyance until they get out?

TexasZagFan
12-30-2017, 09:09 AM
Not directed at any body in particular, but if a student athlete is convicted and sent to prison, does that count the same as going on a mission with their eligibility is held in abeyance until they get out?

Personally, I would ask Steve Alford.

MileHigh
12-30-2017, 09:14 AM

I cant tell if your post was tongue in cheek or not....but the NCAA has specific exceptions for religious missions and military deployments that exempt players from the "5 to play 4" rule. Other than those 2 exceptions I believe a medical hardship is the only other way to get around the 5 for 4

a13coach
12-30-2017, 09:41 AM
I cant tell if your post was tongue in cheek or not....but the NCAA has specific exceptions for religious missions and military deployments that exempt players from the "5 to play 4" rule. Other than those 2 exceptions I believe a medical hardship is the only other way to get around the 5 for 4

But the clock doesn't start until one matriculates correct?

MDABE80
12-30-2017, 09:41 AM
Overseas year and join NBA with the rest of his type. ( Oh how awful to say!!!)

MileHigh
12-30-2017, 10:12 AM
But the clock doesn't start until one matriculates correct?

Correct, 5 year clock starts once you enroll in any college or university as a full time student (12+hours)

23dpg
12-30-2017, 06:49 PM

Yeah, it kinda is. I’m surprised you’d say that.

MDABE80
12-30-2017, 06:58 PM
Sarcasm meets truth!

TravelinZag
01-02-2018, 04:58 PM

Possible, if the athlete does not enroll before doing time. However, that assumes the NCAA doesn’t make him ineligible, which it would. If not, assumes GU would tolerate the taunts of “convict ‘U’, which it would not. Case closed.

willandi
01-02-2018, 06:00 PM
Possible, if the athlete does not enroll before doing time. However, that assumes the NCAA doesn’t make him ineligible, which it would. If not, assumes GU would tolerate the taunts of “convict ‘U’, which it would not. Case closed.

Haven't there already been players, convicted and having served their sentence, that have come out and played college ball? Seems like I remember one or two.

Also not sure that the NCAA has the authority to take away eligibility if the other criteria are met.

SLOZag
01-02-2018, 10:39 PM
"Arizona State and Texas A&M will get the first two [visits]. ... St. Johnís, Illinois and Vanderbilt are competing for the last two" visits.

http://fanbuzz.com/college-basketball/taeshon-cherry-two-official-visits-arizona-state-texas-am/

Malastein
01-03-2018, 01:36 AM

Yup, that’s quite awful to pigeonhole NBA athletes as “his type.” There’s a lot of really good people playing and working hard for continual improvement in the NBA today. Most NBA players don’t have a criminal record, and they actually have less crimes than compared to an average person. But then again, a lot of people would prefer to watch college athletes who don’t receive much monetary benefit compared to what they generate for their universities...

Bogozags
01-03-2018, 09:24 AM
This kid was not going to go to GU in the first place and as I said before, he was not going to consider GU now...

In fact he might have called GU but my guess is they were not interested...Good Luck to him!

doctorzag
01-16-2018, 08:31 PM
Committed to Arizona state today

007Zag
01-17-2018, 12:48 PM
Correct, 5 year clock starts once you enroll in any college or university as a full time student (12+hours)

I think the clock starts when you start playing on scholarship. There have been a number of examples of college grads going back to school and using the eligibility they didn't touch the first time around.

MDABE80
01-17-2018, 01:06 PM
If he needs "straightenin" out, Hurls is a master. Good luck to the kid.

Shanachie
01-17-2018, 01:33 PM
I think the clock starts when you start playing on scholarship. There have been a number of examples of college grads going back to school and using the eligibility they didn't touch the first time around.

This is not correct for NCAA Division I. The Division I clock starts when you enroll in any institution and lasts 5 years (whether you are enrolled or not). I think Division II only counts time you are enrolled in school. If the examples you remember were Division I, the athletes must not have ever enrolled, even for a short time.

007Zag
01-17-2018, 01:36 PM
This is not correct for NCAA Division I. The Division I clock starts when you enroll in any institution and lasts 5 years (whether you are enrolled or not). I think Division II only counts time you are enrolled in school. If the examples you remember were Division I, the athletes must not have ever enrolled, even for a short time.

So I don't still have eligibility for D-I basketball? Bummer. I would have thought you would at least need to have been on scholarship.

kitzbuel
01-18-2018, 10:28 AM
This is not correct for NCAA Division I. The Division I clock starts when you enroll in any institution and lasts 5 years (whether you are enrolled or not). I think Division II only counts time you are enrolled in school. If the examples you remember were Division I, the athletes must not have ever enrolled, even for a short time.Yup
http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/current/transfer-terms

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Zags_Fanatic
03-02-2018, 10:22 AM
It really looks like GU dodged a bullet on this one. Taeshon "quit" his HS team yesterday and said he wouldn't play in their final game in the tournament. At the time he said he was quitting because he was receiving threats. Now it has come out that he has actually been expelled from his Foothills Christian High School.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/high-school-preps/sd-sp-preps-taeshon-cherry-20180301-story.html

zagdontzig
03-02-2018, 10:34 AM
It really looks like GU dodged a bullet on this one. Taeshon "quit" his HS team yesterday and said he wouldn't play in their final game in the tournament. At the time he said he was quitting because he was receiving threats. Now it has come out that he has actually been expelled from his Foothills Christian High School.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/high-school-preps/sd-sp-preps-taeshon-cherry-20180301-story.html

Even without this drama, his school choices very much tended towards the flavor of the month in USC and Arizona State. Didn't strike me as someone willing to commit to a system and grind.