PDA

View Full Version : ZAG Recruit Discussion

Zagceo
12-23-2017, 09:02 AM
Let's try consolidating recruiting discussion here.....easier read and helps clean up individual recruit OP....really enjoy all discussions and nice to have it in one place

Mods might consider a sticky .....its gonna get lost

raise the zag
12-23-2017, 09:17 AM
I feel my post is taken somewhat out of context being re-posted by itself.

This was a following a series of posts and discussion with Jazz on a couple different threads re: both Ravet and Foster.

Makes more sense given the discussion, as I both praise and pose question marks prior to this follow-up post.

GoZags
12-23-2017, 09:22 AM
Let's try consolidating recruiting discussion here.....easier read and helps clean up individual recruit OP....really enjoy all discussions and nice to have it in one place

Mods might consider a sticky .....its gonna get lost

I believe the thread you're trying to start already exists ...
http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?58375-2019-Recruits

JPtheBeasta
12-23-2017, 12:21 PM
Ayayi seems to have a goal of being in the NBA. If he’s a legit Euro-level pro I would be happy.

Zagceo
12-23-2017, 01:41 PM
I believe the thread you're trying to start already exists ...
http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?58375-2019-Recruits

Just trying to be all inclusive....the discussion bounces from different years players. Moves fast and some (ZN) would like specific recruit threads to stay pure which I get.

The names and years run together for me so thought maybe just one big pile might help.

If people have to search for "2018 recruits" thread currently on page 8....probably not gonna to happen.

Big doubts my idea would work....just trying

hooter73
12-23-2017, 05:33 PM
GU was built on diamond in the rough and underrated players. Then we started to grow and get some upper level guys. Then we get to a national championship and suddenly are back to recruiting 2and 3 Star players. Those are the guys that built the program, but not the ones that got us to the top. It looks to some of us that we are going backwards after twenty years of forward momentum.

TexasZagFan
12-23-2017, 08:15 PM
Just trying to be all inclusive....the discussion bounces from different years players. Moves fast and some (ZN) would like specific recruit threads to stay pure which I get.

The names and years run together for me so thought maybe just one big pile might help.

If people have to search for "2018 recruits" thread currently on page 8....probably not gonna to happen.

Big doubts my idea would work....just trying

It appears to me that 2018 is set, with one scholarship being held for a particular 4/5 star player or transfer.

I’ll do my best to keep 2019 on the first page, as I’m following Drew Timme, who plays in the same conference as our high school.

WallaWallaZag
12-24-2017, 07:26 AM
GU was built on diamond in the rough and underrated players. Then we started to grow and get some upper level guys. Then we get to a national championship and suddenly are back to recruiting 2and 3 Star players. Those are the guys that built the program, but not the ones that got us to the top. It looks to some of us that we are going backwards after twenty years of forward momentum.

petrusev is a solid 4 star and i haven't seen him in person, but people i trust say anton watson should be a solid 4 as well...i look at foster and ravet as roster-filler with a chance to be diamonds in the rough.

what has been discouraging to the staff is their inability to land another high-level pg after missing out on andrew nembhard and will richardson (zags were supposedly runner-up in both cases)

i have a feeling the staff is really going to try hard and find another pg via the transfer market this offseason, traditional probably more likely than grad...we'll see what shakes out

509er
12-24-2017, 07:50 AM

Don't forget Brandon Clark. He'll be a top 2-3 player on the team for for the next couple of years.

hooter73
12-24-2017, 08:02 AM
Oh we’re still getting some good guys like filip and Clarke, and I don’t think anyone is complaining about them, but the last high level guards we attracted were a few years ago now. We were getting state player of the years and have seemingly whiffed on so many others in the last two years that even with the coaches saying we know basically nothing about recruiting, it is head scratching and looks like we are going backwards.

jazzdelmar
12-24-2017, 08:21 AM
Most of these roster issues dissipate if Norvell develops as the lead guard this year or, worse case, by next year. The bigs look good even if Surfer Dude leaves.

Spokaneer
12-27-2017, 06:24 PM
Petrusev and Montverde now on Stadium Sports. https://watchstadium.com/live/2017-beach-ball-classic-albany-ny-vs-montverde-fl/

WallaWallaZag
12-28-2017, 01:18 AM
Most of these roster issues dissipate if Norvell develops as the lead guard this year or, worse case, by next year. The bigs look good even if Surfer Dude leaves.

just don't see it in him...nwg was a score first lead guard but norvell is just a flat out wing scorer in the ammo mold...norvell will always need another pg next to him.

bigblahla
12-28-2017, 06:35 AM
just don't see it in him...nwg was a score first lead guard but norvell is just a flat out wing scorer in the ammo mold...norvell will always need another pg next to him.

WWZ get some new glasses and maybe you will see he can play the 1,2 or 3, handles still not top shelf but he seems to be a quick study and has shown he can deliver the ball. Look at the potential and cast no dispersion on his abilities cause we ain't seen nothing yet.

If you don't agree with my opinion that's fine but consider that the kid's leash is longer than anybody's since Ammo, that should tell you what coach and staff think about him.

Just my opinion..

Go!! Zags!!!

jazzdelmar
12-28-2017, 06:58 AM
WWZ get some new glasses and maybe you will see he can play the 1,2 or 3, handles still not top shelf but he seems to be a quick study and has shown he can deliver the ball. Look at the potential and cast no dispersion on his abilities cause we ain't seen nothing yet.

If you don't agree with my opinion that's fine but consider that the kid's leash is longer than anybody's since Ammo, that should tell you what coach and staff think about him.

Just my opinion..

Go!! Zags!!!

There you go, Blah. Norvell is not like any guard we have ever had, does not fit the molds. But look around CBB and there are plenty of PGs just like him....esp at the P5 schools.

WallaWallaZag
12-28-2017, 07:47 AM
WWZ get some new glasses and maybe you will see he can play the 1,2 or 3, handles still not top shelf but he seems to be a quick study and has shown he can deliver the ball. Look at the potential and cast no dispersion on his abilities cause we ain't seen nothing yet. If you don't agree with my opinion that's fine but consider that the kid's leash is longer than anybody's since Ammo, that should tell you what coach and staff think about him.

exactly...leash is long like ammo because he is a pure scorer...too pure of a scorer to be able to play point for gonzaga imo...emphasis on gonzaga

Zagdawg
12-28-2017, 08:26 AM
Montverde Academy‏
@mvaeagles
Follow Follow @mvaeagles
More
Our boys varsity basketball team beat Albany Academy (NY) 94-61 to win their first game of The Beach Ball Classic in South Carolina!

Stats:
Mike Devoe: 24 pts, 5 rebs, 4 asts.
RJ Barrett: 22 pts, 5 blks.
Andrew Nembhard: 13 pts, 5 asts.
Filip Petrusev: 12 pts, 7 rebs.

thespywhozaggedme
12-28-2017, 09:07 AM
Montverde Academy‏
@mvaeagles
Follow Follow @mvaeagles
More
Our boys varsity basketball team beat Albany Academy (NY) 94-61 to win their first game of The Beach Ball Classic in South Carolina!

Stats:
Mike Devoe: 24 pts, 5 rebs, 4 asts.
RJ Barrett: 22 pts, 5 blks.
Andrew Nembhard: 13 pts, 5 asts.
Filip Petrusev: 12 pts, 7 rebs.

Monteverde plays a 2 pg backcourt like we have in the past with Devoe and Nembhard and many are lamenting that we can't land a stud pg and Devoe is playing great this year and has committed to GT. Wonder if we put out feelers for him while we were flirting with Nembhard and Petrusev. Florida tried to land him, even after Nembhard committed to them.

https://247sports.com/Player/Michael-Devoe-86035

thespywhozaggedme
12-28-2017, 09:17 AM
btw, for those that constantly lament the fact that we don't land the top players in the state, the top 2 players in the state of Washington for 2019 are both Gonzaga commits:

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Basketball/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighScho ol&State=WA

CDC84
12-28-2017, 11:01 AM
We already have two very long and lengthy recruiting threads on 2018 and 2019 kids. It's best we keep the discussion there:

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?60479-2018-Recruits&highlight=2018+recruiting

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?58375-2019-Recruits&highlight=2019+recruits

TexasZagFan
12-28-2017, 11:04 AM
btw, for those that constantly lament the fact that we don't land the top players in the state, the top 2 players in the state of Washington for 2019 are both Gonzaga commits:

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Basketball/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighScho ol&State=WA

FWIW, I checked on Drew Timme: 145 overall, 13/19 in Texas. Going to be tough to get him here, 17 schools expressed interest. If he wants to stay home, SMU and TCU are in his backyard.

CDC84
12-28-2017, 11:09 AM
I have done a sticky on both the 2018 and 2019 recruit threads. They are huge and worthy of continuing because of their history