PDA

View Full Version : BYU and St Marys aren't as bad as we think

raise the zag
12-22-2017, 03:33 PM
BYU has won 7 in a row vs some solid teams. Currently 10-2.

They slapped 8-3 Pac-12 Utah around, took out Utah St, an upstart Weber St team, and blew out the rest.

Elijah Bryant (Zag killer), Yoeli Childs, and TJ Haws is a formidable trio giving teams a heck of a time. Bryant is an elite driver, Childs an elite rebounder, Haws an elite shooter. They will give us fits, esp in Spokane.

St Marys are winners of 5 in a row. Also 10-2.

They blew out Cal who beat SDSU, smoked Dayton, and winning their games by 20+ as of late. Their young bigs are catching fire as well. Neal is finally starting to show up for them.

Gaels have lost (2) games by a total of 6 pts. WSU beat them at the end, and the Cougs also beat up on SDSU.

St Mary's currently ranks NUMBER ONE in the nation in least amount of TO's per game. Only average 8.0 per game. (GU is 200th) They pass well, shoot well, take care of the ball, and can spread teams out. Take advantage of undisciplined teams.

Same can be said about BYU, who have surprised as of late.

We are regressing and they are catching their respective grooves.

We must improve or both of them can beat us on any given night, as of right now, I would expect it to be 50-50.

ZAG 4 LIFE
12-22-2017, 03:45 PM
My daughter will be the sideline reporter on the Comcast broadcast tonight for the
Saint Mary’s vs. UNC Asheville game, so I will be there to get a close up look at the
Gaels... expecting lots of Londale, pick and rolls, three balls going in and very
few turnovers for SMC... this is a solid team.

john montana
12-22-2017, 04:13 PM
My daughter will be the sideline reporter on the Comcast broadcast tonight for the
Saint Mary’s vs. UNC Asheville game, so I will be there to get a close up look at the
Gaels... expecting lots of Londale, pick and rolls, three balls going in and very

Don’t forget illegal hip check ball screens. Hah hah

Gaels are for real. I haven’t seen BYU.

HenneZag
12-22-2017, 04:20 PM
If we play like we did last night against SMC or BYU we will lose by 20+. SMC won’t beat themselves and are very crisp offensively, detailed and disciplined. This team needs a fire lit under their ass. You can’t just put the uniform on, step out on the floor and expect to win with the lack of passion and laziness they have portrayed as of late.

75Zag
12-22-2017, 04:31 PM
Great thread title. Do they call that "damning by faint praise"? I think so.
But for what it is worth, I am confident that SMC and BYU are as bad as I think.

Go Bulldogs!

Gin N GUice
12-22-2017, 05:56 PM
I think you mean WE aren't as good we thought we were. This thread only exists because the zags have dropped a couple pegs in most people's minds, including mine.

sittingon50
12-22-2017, 08:39 PM

Hey Z4L, is your daughter the young lady we saw pictured with Coach Few @ UCLA a few years ago?

Let us know when else we will be able to catch one of her broadcasts, please (it ain't braggin').

willandi
12-22-2017, 08:44 PM
Zags should just forfeit rather than face the ignominy of getting beat by those upstarts!

ZAG 4 LIFE
12-22-2017, 10:21 PM
Hey Z4L, is your daughter the young lady we saw pictured with Coach Few @ UCLA a few years ago?

Let us know when else we will be able to catch one of her broadcasts, please (it ain't braggin').

She is one and the same 50... good memory.
The Gaels are good... shoot it, pass it, good size although guards are smallish...
Naar is as crafty as ever, Krebs hit 6 threes tonight. All the the Gaels perimeter guys
can shoot it... and they all benefit from playing with Landale. Another very nice team in Moraga.
The Gaels did have some trouble stopping dribble penetration at the defensive end against the smaller,
quicker UNC Asheville team, so that may be something the Zags can exploit.
The Zags that showed up the second half against Creighton can beat the Gaels without question...
The SD State Zags obviously cannot.

azzagfan
12-22-2017, 11:12 PM
I think BYU is more likely to give Zags fits as they'll be able to apply more pressure with their personnel (which the Zags haven't done great with). St. Mary's plays more to Gonzaga's strengths and it will be their front court vs. Zag front court and their back court vs. Zag back court. It's pretty even overall. However, the Zags, as we've seen, can have an off night (as can St. Mary's, but I think the difference in Zags at best and Zags at UND/SDSU is a larger gap). Zags play to the potential we've seen, then they can win. Zags struggle, and they won't beat St. Mary's.

JPtheBeasta
12-23-2017, 06:12 AM
Zags should just forfeit rather than face the ignominy of getting beat by those upstarts!

The one of the most reasonable things I’ve read on this board for several days :)

avid-zag-fan
12-23-2017, 06:34 AM
We're an underdog to SMC on 2-10-18

JPtheBeasta
12-23-2017, 10:31 AM
We're an underdog to SMC on 2-10-18

I became less worried about Landale when I saw how good Larsen is. Now I’m worried Few will forget he is on the bench waiting to contribute.

jazzdelmar
12-23-2017, 10:57 AM
I became less worried about Landale when I saw how good Larsen is. Now I’m worried Few will forget he is on the bench waiting to contribute.

Ouch. Truth hurts.

ZAG 4 LIFE
12-23-2017, 11:33 AM

A couple of photos from last night... post game interview with Landale and
halftime interview with Bennett...
To Randy's credit, he did say Merry Christmas to Danielle... being up 19 at the half
may have contributed to that...

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f47/rbalvari24/20171222_223609_zpsiirzrjch.jpg (http://s44.photobucket.com/user/rbalvari24/media/20171222_223609_zpsiirzrjch.jpg.html)

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f47/rbalvari24/10582_zpsuqltkwv3.jpg (http://s44.photobucket.com/user/rbalvari24/media/10582_zpsuqltkwv3.jpg.html)

Ezag
12-23-2017, 04:09 PM
And we are not as good as we thought after the Portland tourney last month

SunDevilGolfZag
12-23-2017, 06:21 PM
To have ever thought that either BYU or St. Mary's couldn't take it to us on a given night would be pretty ignorant of reality

Bogozags
12-23-2017, 06:43 PM
Sheet happens to the best of teams...UNC loses to Wofford at HOME and Duke loses to BC...

Can SMC or BYU beat us...sure as can USD, USF and SCU...

I think if SMC plays its best game and we play our best game, they won’t beat us no matter where the game is played; however, playing @ SMC and GU not playing to potential would cause us problems...

BYU on the other hand have three pretty good players...don’t know if any of them could start for us but they play pretty well together...even after our poor play against SDSU I think BYU has a hard time matching up with us man for man...

Time will tell if we are champions or runner-ups...it depends on who shows up for us!

I believe the Zags will rise to the occasion...

willandi
12-23-2017, 08:08 PM
I wonder if this loss to SDSU wasn't the best thing to happen to the team, especially with a long layoff.

They know that they were the better team, they just didn't show up.

Now they know they have to play every game, or forget it!

coolhandzag
12-23-2017, 08:27 PM
Go Zags.

Zagger
12-24-2017, 05:27 AM
BYU and St Marys aren't as bad as we think ......

Maybe not. But GU will make them look that way :) Go Zags!