PDA

View Full Version : Word from a respected basketball coach..........

CDC84
12-22-2017, 01:14 PM
Gonzaga's zone is horrible. It is allowing teams to shoot nearly 38% from three. More importantly, it allows too many gaps. The Aztecs missed so many wide open 9 footers last night it was crazy.

If GU had played a good offensive team like Duke last night, even at K2, GU might've been beaten by 35.

I know the zone is designed to protect JWIII and Tillie from foul trouble, but it either has to get better or it needs to be ditched. And Tillie, once again, has to stop committing dumb fouls.

JPtheBeasta
12-22-2017, 01:22 PM
Considering anecdotes saying that 4 guys would be in zone and the other guy in man this year, that doesn’t surprise me. It did look better against the Aztecs than earlier in the season, though.

Zags11
12-22-2017, 01:33 PM
So whose right? They showed chart we play 80% man this yr. Is it more man or zone then? I see a lot of man too.

Birddog
12-22-2017, 01:47 PM
Add to the defense (lack of) this bit of info:
Late in the first half and into the second half, Gonzaga had the ball 16 times with a chance to tie or take the lead. And didn’t. : (per Jazz from a SD newspaper)

You can't win a game coming up empty 16 possessions in a row.

Goshzagit
12-22-2017, 02:05 PM
honestly, the list goes on....

I'd pose that this is the worst team from a Turnover, 3pt Defense, sloppiness standpoint in the Mark Few-era.

Certainly not talent or depth wise, but I can't ever recall a team since pre-'99 that is/was so unpredictable and/or so many glaring weaknesses.

The good news?

Many can be fixed, or at least improved upon. Starting with our rotations, followed by rapid development, and maybe this week long break will help tremendously.

No matter what anyone says, refutes, or argues, this is far and way the ugliest basketball we've ever played at Gonzaga. At least since I've been following, a fan, alum, and annual booster. First time I can recall not being excited to watch this brand of AAU/unorganized/one on one bball. We have evolved into careless, senseless players. Zero offense being run, don't take advantage of what is working, inexplicable TO's, selfish play, no communication on defense, etc.

Just blah.

ZagsObserver
12-22-2017, 02:23 PM
honestly, the list goes on....

I'd pose that this is the worst team from a Turnover, 3pt Defense, sloppiness standpoint in the Mark Few-era.

Certainly not talent or depth wise, but I can't ever recall a team since pre-'99 that is/was so unpredictable and/or so many glaring weaknesses.

The good news?

Many can be fixed, or at least improved upon. Starting with our rotations, followed by rapid development, and maybe this week long break will help tremendously.

No matter what anyone says, refutes, or argues, this is far and way the ugliest basketball we've ever played at Gonzaga. At least since I've been following, a fan, alum, and annual booster. First time I can recall not being excited to watch this brand of AAU/unorganized/one on one bball. We have evolved into careless, senseless players. Zero offense being run, don't take advantage of what is working, inexplicable TO's, selfish play, no communication on defense, etc.

Just blah.

This is not a great team, but certainly not the worst of the Few era. There were a couple really trying years in the Goodson/Keita/marquise Carter era where we were scraping by and didn’t have many options to turn to. We are struggling but have many options. We are in a better place opportunity-wise.

IMADEYOUREADTHIS
12-22-2017, 03:42 PM
While I think this team has some great components, and should certainly continue our streak of NCAA appearances and first round wins, this team has some glaring issues.

We do not have the calming presence of a NWG, Pangos, etc. Perkins is a very good player, but he is too erratic at times, which causes problems for this team. Someone needs to be able to pull the reins, and calm the rest of the team down - but we don't have anyone capable of doing that.

Our turnovers are beyond aggravating, they are usually unforced due to carelessness. It's a very sloppy brand of basketball right now. Tillie's foul trouble is vexing, and I don't understand the lack of Larsen in the 2nd half. I thought our defense played very well with him anchoring it in the first.

Kispert needs to get better, and get his confidence back. He went from an X factor earlier this year to invisible out there last night. I don't know if that's still the ankle, or if he's having confidence issues with Norvell's emergence, but we need him and Norvell clicking.

That being said, the biggest issue on this team isn't the bigs, it's PG play. I love Perkins, but not as our point. He really should be our 2 guard.

raise the zag
12-22-2017, 04:22 PM
We do not have the calming presence of a NWG, Pangos, etc. Perkins is a very good player, but he is too erratic at times, which causes problems for this team. Someone needs to be able to pull the reins, and calm the rest of the team down - but we don't have anyone capable of doing that.

Here's what I don't get...

Why can't Perkins just play like he did in PK80?

He was selective about his shots, did not over dribble, moved the ball more, wasn't nearly as consumed with dribble-drive, passing full court passes, and played with his head up.

The opponents have gotten easier, if anything, so he can do it.

I think his "leading scorer" mentality went to his head, or the idea of trying to do too much, and/or pressure of leading has affected him.

The thing is...Perkins is capable of playing composed and under control, just not doing it. He is erratic, unpredictable, and out of control often times.

He needs to not put so much pressure on himself to find an open 3, or getting his shot, because with the rise of Rui and others, we don't need it.

scrooner
12-22-2017, 04:24 PM
This is our worst ranking for # of turnovers as a team in 10 years. We were pretty awful last year too.

Reborn
12-22-2017, 04:45 PM
I totally agree with this coach. The zone was bad. Here's the question though. If the zone was bad, how bad is our man to man defense? Few used the zone only because our team can not stop their opponents dribble penetration by their guards. Ths Zag team can not defend the pick and roll. This team IS NOT defending in man to man as the last few Mark Few teams. They used to always switch on the screens, pick and rolls. Now the guards go behind the screens and anyone who knows how to coach knows that this (going behind screens) is exactly NOT WHAT A PLAER SHOULD DO.

Last night Few has our worst defender, Norvell, guarding their best player, who scores off Norvell any time he wants to. Same for other games. Few always has him (Norvell) on the other teams' best players.

raise the zag
12-22-2017, 04:46 PM
This is our worst ranking for # of turnovers as a team in 10 years. We were pretty awful last year too.

A lot of this has to do with Coach Few changing the offense to match the personnel.

We have become more "open", up and down, free flowing, etc.

Even that pud Lappas commented on it....saying, "Gonzaga hasn't run an play in the past 10 mins"....

Bogozags
12-23-2017, 07:31 PM
Not sure y’all are aware but SDSU shoots 30.5% from behind the arc and they were held to 30.4% against us...

Depending on the personnel on the court when we employ the zone has a big bearing on how it is played...I think the zone was more effective when Jacob was in as his presence in the post presented a problem for their bigs as well as back Court players trying to drive the lane...why he didn’t play in the second half is beyond me...hopefully it wasn’t injury related.

With regards to complaining about Zach playing Mitchell...I watched this match-up pretty closely and he held his own. Mitchel scored 15pts; however, he shot 4 for 12 ...3 for 8 behind the arc which is the % he normally shoots. Zach held his own and his defence has gotten better with each game...over the last six games, he has been the most consistent Zag on both sides of the court...he will only get better each game...Zach is going to be really good!!!

Our loss to SDSU wasn’t because of Josh’s TO’s but rather poor execution by our bigs in the post...missed so many bunnies!

Zagger
12-24-2017, 06:33 AM
IMHO once the team gets their heads into the game they'll be just fine. They are good athletes with good skills and lots of heart. They're just not taking their brains onto the court.