PDA

View Full Version : What bright spots did you see

Outraged
12-22-2017, 04:40 AM
I liked the last minute. The press.. Our defense. That they still storm the court for us.
Morison on the radio.

jazzdelmar
12-22-2017, 04:44 AM
Norvell's balls, Hatch's light bulb gaining luminescence, Larsen's gameness, Williams' effort...........Mic drop

Birddog
12-22-2017, 05:23 AM
Norvell's balls, Hatch's light bulb gaining luminescence, Larsen's gameness, Williams' effort...........Mic drop

Have to agree with that assessment, but could you drop the "t" and call him Hach, or maybe Rui Rui? If you guys haven't already, check out J3's stat line, it was impressive except for the FT% but we all know that is problematic. The compressed view of Larsen (3 mins?) was also impressive he was really active.

ZagMan in Philly
12-22-2017, 05:37 AM
ZN and Rui can create their own shots. These two are our best offensive weapons.
Rui at the free throw line is $$$$
JW is a beast when he is going strong to the basket.
Team is fine, when March is here.
just curious..is Krispert healthy??? I miss his early season energy and his scoring.

And only drop one spot in Kenpom ranking after the loss to SDST.

JAGzag
12-22-2017, 05:51 AM
Wade and Krispert must be hurting to play so little. JP had what, 7-8 TOs and we still see no Wade until the last minute due to fouls...and he calmly comes in and hits a contested fade away 3 pointer in the corner! It was a thing of beauty!

JPtheBeasta
12-22-2017, 06:06 AM
If the Zags had won, this might have been Rui’s coming out party. He played really well and was a mismatch against the skinnier player last night.

Another bright spot is that each player only has five fouls, because otherwise Tillie would have been called for more.

I liked seeing Norvell take the ball to the hoop.

The press looked good at times.

Larsen continued to impress.

Nelson stepped up in crunch time and hit some big buckets.

JW3 plays well when he plays angry, like the end of the game last night.

75Zag
12-22-2017, 06:44 AM
JW3 looked like somebody switched his bio - controller from regular to beast mode a couple times last night. Somebody needs to short circuit him so he stays in beast mode all the time. For GU to have a great March and beyond, we need the beast.
The full scope of Norvell's talent has not yet been put on display. By March he should be ready to dazzle the country with his abilities.
Tillie continues to show so many good things. How do you teach a player not to foul without taking away from his hustle and shot-blocking? Hopefully there is a way.

Go Bulldogs!

bartruff1
12-22-2017, 06:50 AM
They never quit...the freshmen and Rui are playing much better within the system.....the 9 or 10 blocks were pretty amazing... a pretty good defensive effort.....I see the Sun is coming up....

Zagceo
12-22-2017, 06:58 AM
They serve beer at Aztec games.

gueastcoast
12-22-2017, 07:24 AM
Agree with many of the points noted here, would add I thought our defensive rebounding looked much better than it has of late.

GonzagasaurusFlex
12-22-2017, 07:31 AM
Zach Norvell continued to display his knack for making big shots in small moments?

Norwester
12-22-2017, 08:50 AM
GU: 10 blocked shots.
SDSU: 1 blocked shot.

23dpg
12-22-2017, 10:01 AM
My bright spot, the Zags played horribly and lost by 2 on the road to a decent team.

zagfan1
12-22-2017, 12:10 PM
Rui and Norvell are doing great!

CDC84
12-22-2017, 12:22 PM
The defense was awful last night. GU's zone is terrible. It allows too many threes and way too many gaps. SDSU over the past 10 seasons might be the worst college basketball team I have ever seen on offense for a program from a league that is as good or better than the MWC. Duke would've beaten GU by 35 with the zone they played last night. SDSU missed so many wide open shots, because, again, their whole program philosophy is to play killer defense and ugly up games. They are so lacking in offensive skill it's amazing.

Norvell was the one positive from last night, although, again, he needs to become better on defense and be more consistent as a 3 pt. shooter. Just like Pangos learned to be able to. Even if Norvell ends up shooting 40% from 3 this year, I don't think it's a good thing for GU if he goes 0-10 and then 7-10. He needs to go 2-5, 4-8......more consistent from game to game. But he has the best killer instinct on offense of any GU player I have seen since Ammo.

bartruff1
12-22-2017, 01:01 PM
I though the defense was plenty good enough to win....a few made free throws by Gonzaga and a few misses by SDS and the outcome is different.....

spike_jr
12-22-2017, 01:16 PM
I though the defense was plenty good enough to win....a few made free throws by Gonzaga and a few misses by SDS and the outcome is different.....

I disagree Bart. I thought our D was pretty bad (it was good enough to win last night, but it still wasn't very good). SDSU missed a lot of open shots from everywhere on the floor (from point blank to out past the 3 point line). We were just fortunate that the SDSU offense is not very good save for their free throw shooting.

PeninsulaDog
12-22-2017, 01:42 PM
Some random thoughts:

Larsen was incredibly effective during his limited run in the first half. (Three rebounds and one block in three minutes.) Really makes me wonder why he didn't play even one second in the second half, especially during runs when GU was having defensive lapses in the paint. It was a game coached in a style reminiscent of years gone by -- lots of inexplicable substitutions and lack thereof. Unless there are physical limitations on his ability to play more, he should have been in there at least 15 minutes. His presence would have made the zone far more effective especially on the perimeter.

Norvell is emerging (or has emerged) as our best guard: But, overall the guard play reminds me of the Raivio era: Good enough to win a game or two in the tourney (maybe), but the ceiling is lower this season. Waaaay too many three pointers being hoisted up by a team that collectively doesn't seem to have the shooting talent to warrant such a volume.

Zaghoss
12-22-2017, 02:43 PM
Here is my take.

Perkins:
A big problem is turnovers. I have no advice for that except to suggest that he stop doing it. He needs to figure out why he is committing these excessive turnovers and fix it.
It may be that he just is not good enough to stop, at least against a pressure defense.

A bigger problem is a pressure defense against Perkins. Villanova showed the world how to beat Gonzaga. Pressure the point guard. Perkins really is not up to dealing with a
defense that pressures him up high. SDS has guards that could pressure Perkins much like Villanova. They are quick and know how to play defense. They were successful. So in my view, Perkins could beat that pressure if he would drive to the hoop. But he doesn't. What he will do on occasion is drive to an area somewhere short of the hoop and stop. Now he is stuck looking for a bail out. I have seen Perkins drive to the hoop and i know he can do it, really well. For some reason he doesn't. If he would make that move, he would perhaps cause that pressure defense to back off some and give him the opportunity to run the offense like we all would like to see.

SteveAztec
12-22-2017, 03:01 PM
Deleted.

Ezag
12-22-2017, 03:06 PM
Here is my take.

Perkins:
A big problem is turnovers. I have no advice for that except to suggest that he stop doing it. He needs to figure out why he is committing these excessive turnovers and fix it.
It may be that he just is not good enough to stop, at least against a pressure defense.

A bigger problem is a pressure defense against Perkins. Villanova showed the world how to beat Gonzaga. Pressure the point guard. Perkins really is not up to dealing with a
defense that pressures him up high. SDS has guards that could pressure Perkins much like Villanova. They are quick and know how to play defense. They were successful. So in my view, Perkins could beat that pressure if he would drive to the hoop. But he doesn't. What he will do on occasion is drive to an area somewhere short of the hoop and stop. Now he is stuck looking for a bail out. I have seen Perkins drive to the hoop and i know he can do it, really well. For some reason he doesn't. If he would make that move, he would perhaps cause that pressure defense to back off some and give him the opportunity to run the offense like we all would like to see.

Perkins is our only PG and gets little break and no support or back up. Not all his fault