PDA

View Full Version : GU board

Zags11
12-21-2017, 11:24 PM
I grew up. What the hell is up with our older posters?

How you guys talk on college kids? Who tf are you guys? The same dudes who probably would want the players autograph you sit behind your CPU and hate on. If you want to break down the issues that went wrong? Perfectly fine. The other stuff said is classless and shows us in bad light.

Grow up GU board.

No wonder a lot of the vets left.

Zags11
12-21-2017, 11:27 PM
Protect

Stockton, pendo.

Hate

Meech, Perkins.

Zags11
12-21-2017, 11:49 PM
http://stats.washingtonpost.com/cbk/....asp?id=122297

I see about 4-5 more losses and a sw16 exit if goss had this team instead of last yrs team. Some bad games. However he had the squad to back it up. Perkins doesn't.

Saxon_zag
12-21-2017, 11:56 PM
Perkins still has a good squad backing him up and needs to get the bigs and wings more involved. Him and Melson are trying to do to much and shooting us out of games. Combined 21/72 in our losses for those 2. A lot of empty possesions

Zags11
12-22-2017, 12:05 AM
Perkins still has a good squad backing him up and needs to get the bigs and wings more involved. Him and Melson are trying to do to much and shooting us out of games. Combined 21/72 in our losses for those 2. A lot of empty possesions

Your lying if you think this team is close to last yrs team.

Lose to wvu in sw16 if he Perkins.
10pts. 2-10 shooting. 5 turnovers and 2 assists.

4pts. 2-9 shooting vs Portland. 3 ass and 1 to.

9pts. 4-13 shooting vs SDSU

15pts. 5-17 shooting vs NC

9pts. 3-12 shooting vs SDSU on 2nd game of yr. 3 assists and 4 turnovers.

15pts. 3-11 shooting vs Portland at home.

20pts. 6-19 shooting vs NW.

11.7ppg on 27.4% shooting.

Team record 6-1. If you think we go 6-1 with Perkins doing that? Your high. Probably 2-5.

Saxon_zag
12-22-2017, 12:11 AM
Right because we could actually stop people on D last year. 21/72 is bad. Pass the ball

Zags11
12-22-2017, 12:54 AM
Right because we could actually stop people on D last year. 21/72 is bad. Pass the ball

Right cuz its a team game. And Perkins #s are as good as goss almost. Rebounds is major difference.
Last yrs team was better.

zagsfanforlife
12-22-2017, 01:05 AM
You must be Josh's dad if you think he is in the same discussion as NWG.

Zags11
12-22-2017, 01:55 AM
You must be Josh's dad if you think he is in the same discussion as NWG.

I know like gonzaga hasn't had worse loss then this.

TexasZagFan
12-22-2017, 04:12 AM
http://stats.washingtonpost.com/cbk/....asp?id=122297

I see about 4-5 more losses and a sw16 exit if goss had this team instead of last yrs team. Some bad games. However he had the squad to back it up. Perkins doesn't.

Unfair to compare the two teams. Sure, there are similar pieces, but this year's team is short on experience compared to last year.

The journey to March is going to be vastly different from last year's. We'll see more ups and downs, simply because we have more minutes going to new players.

CarolinaZagFan
12-22-2017, 04:41 AM
Unfair to compare the two teams. Sure, there are similar pieces, but this year's team is short on experience compared to last year.

The journey to March is going to be vastly different from last year's. We'll see more ups and downs, simply because we have more minutes going to new players.

Unfortunately the problem last night wasn’t with the new players. I wouldn’t mind the turnovers so much if they were a result of great defense. Unfortunately most of ours are from completely unnecessary, high risk/low reward passes. Hopefully the guys calm down and get it together because at times this year the team really has been tough to watch. Have looked like a poorly coached AAU team far too often this season.

TexasZagFan
12-22-2017, 04:46 AM
Unfortunately the problem last night wasn’t with the new players. I wouldn’t mind the turnovers so much if they were a result of great defense. Unfortunately most of ours are from completely unnecessary, high risk/low reward passes. Hopefully the guys calm down and get it together because at times this year the team really has been tough to watch. Have looked like a poorly coached AAU team far too often this season.

Agreed. It's up to Josh to settle down and lead this team. Seniors Silas and J3 also need to start playing like seniors, too. J3's attributes are too often offset by his turnovers and poor FT shooting.

jazzdelmar
12-22-2017, 04:47 AM
Few is a HOF coach when he has a very good/great PG he can throw the keys to; he regresses to the mean and becomes an average coach with an average/poor PG.

Outraged
12-22-2017, 04:50 AM
If you see four or five more losses you will see NIT.

TexasZagFan
12-22-2017, 04:55 AM
If you see four or five more losses you will see NIT.

Although a true statement on its face, I see it as more hyperbole about a team that suffered its first true road loss in a couple of years.

Team has no classes for 2-3 weeks, the coaches will have time to address the issues that we've all pointed out.

Bogozags
12-22-2017, 05:01 AM
We had 16 TOs and 5 of those were offensive due to poor screening techniques!!! Yes, Josh had his worst TO night at GU but his 6 TOs were not THE reason GU lost but rather our poor execution on offence and FT shooting. Sure as a TEAM GU played poorly but this was still a winnable game...I think we had the ball five times in a row and just needed a bucket to take the lead and we could not execute...poor passing by both front and back court, offensive fouls and missed layups!!!

I was saddened by our play and realized that after all those trips down court needing just one basket to take the lead, I realized it was not going to be our night...

Our defence was for the most part excellent...we had NINE blocks!!! SDSU only shot 36% overall, which is below their average and 30% from behind the arc!!! We just couldn't put the ball in the hole from the floor and FT line...

This was a TEAM loss and not any individual player...if GU were to play @ SDSU nine more times , I believe we beat them nine times...this game was an aberration and not close to a norm

WE NEED TO STOP POINTING TO ONE PLAYER's PLAY AS THE REASON WE LOST!!!

vandalzag
12-22-2017, 06:43 AM
Few is a HOF coach when he has a very good/great PG he can throw the keys to; he regresses to the mean and becomes an average coach with an average/poor PG.
So you are saying he is an average coach who only excels due to his players. And his coaching has nothing to do with the level of play of the great players?

75Zag
12-22-2017, 07:26 AM
Few is a great coach as demonstrated by the GU program's progress over the past decades. He does have, like everyone, one or two areas of challenge. He seems to have trouble designing and/or communicating plays in the closing minutes of tight games, and he seems to have difficulty when it comes to managing and/or motivating certain kinds of players to bring their A game to the floor every single game. Our current squad has kids who have demonstrated some real greatness on the court and I attribute that to good coaching and a high level of ability. But when the same kid veers from brilliant to mediocre over and over again, and assuming there are no injuries or illnesses to explain it, I tend to think there is a problem with lack of interest / motivation, and I blame that, at least in part, on coaching.
Merry Christmas to all.

jazzdelmar
12-22-2017, 07:44 AM
So you are saying he is an average coach who only excels due to his players. And his coaching has nothing to do with the level of play of the great players?

I was talking only about point guards and their impact on his coaching results. Generally, I think you recruit guards and you develop bigs. Few's record on the latter is superb. Goss obviously came out of the box ready but overall his record recruiting guards is choppy. Perkins arrived w great acclaim and look at that; Pangos the same and look at that. And the list goes on......

Ezag
12-22-2017, 08:06 AM
I grew up. What the hell is up with our older posters?

How you guys talk on college kids? Who tf are you guys? The same dudes who probably would want the players autograph you sit behind your CPU and hate on. If you want to break down the issues that went wrong? Perfectly fine. The other stuff said is classless and shows us in bad light.

Grow up GU board.

No wonder a lot of the vets left.

And how is this different from any other college sports forum? It's not! In fact, of all the ones I have been on over the years, this might be the tamiest by a long shot even after bad losses. Ever been on the Duke forum after a loss. Check out UNC's board after Wofford loss. Ours has never been that bad.

Birddog
12-22-2017, 09:00 AM
Is there such a thing as hyperbole hyperbole?

Zags11
12-22-2017, 09:45 AM

That's my point. I think you remove josh and reinsert goss for this yrs team and we have as many losses. Goss had just as many "disappearing" acts as Perkin's has had this yr but more. (Still early I know) however we went 6-1 when Goss played bad. This yrs team goss or Perkins don't have that luxury.

Marcus
12-22-2017, 10:30 AM
My 2cents,

Josh is a good player and does a lot of things well, I fully support him as our team leader and point guard and really feel that he could be elite if he would limit the unforced turnovers as has been stated numerous times by numerous posters. But I feel that the point your trying to make in comparison to Nigel is a little off base. Nigel had some bad games offensively sure but was always locked in emotionally, ALWAYS. He was one of the best on ball defenders as a point guard we have ever had at GU. He was an in your face leader and was constantly talking to everyone on the court. Josh seems to get a little down on himself when things aren't going great and it affects him on the other side of the ball as well.

Where I will agree with you is that Josh takes too much heat for things that don't or aren't going right with this years team. There are a lot of new moving parts and a lot of experience that has moved on from last years team. Its a work in progress and might be a work in progress all year. Last year spoiled us and I think collectively we need to lower our expectations. I think they will get there though.

vandalzag
12-22-2017, 10:42 AM
I was talking only about point guards and their impact on his coaching results. Generally, I think you recruit guards and you develop bigs. Few's record on the latter is superb. Goss obviously came out of the box ready but overall his record recruiting guards is choppy. Perkins arrived w great acclaim and look at that; Pangos the same and look at that. And the list goes on......

So your premise that the success of the team depends on the skill of PG pretty much applies to any basketball team from 5th grade YMCA to the NBA. Goss was not ready at UW and did not get out of the box until he spent two years under Few. As far a recruiting guards where exactly has he missed? Go through the list starting with Stepp and show me the guards that failed to get better at while at GU (Meech and Pmac do not count).