PDA

View Full Version : Post game radio GU-SDSU

Section 116
12-21-2017, 09:40 PM
Hudson and Morrison: 72-70 final score for SDSU, a big win for coach Brian Dutcher. Bulldogs fall behind 11-0, trial 25-23 at half.

Had five different chances in the second half to take the lead and never could. A wire to wire win for the Aztecs. Surprisingly the Zags outshot the Aztec 42% to 36% and from three, 31% to 30% but the turned the ball over 16 times to SDSU's 9.

Norvell with 22 and Hachimura with 13. Perkins and Melson dreadful shooting night 4-19, and Zags only 11-17 from the line. Zags fall to 10-3.

Bulldogs got off to slow start and they never could get the stop they needed or the bucket they needed. They made enough plays to win the game but a couple boneheaded plays and some silly fouls prevented them from ever getting the lead. Zags did seem to have a little momentum coming out of the locker room, but 16 turnovers against a quality team on the road, you just can't do that.

Several momentum back breakers like a missed free throw, Rui gets the rebound and kicks it out and the Zags just can't get a bucket. Another time J3 had the big dunk and missed the free throw, those are plays that can really turn the momentum and GU could just never capitalize on those plays.

SDSU free throw shooting 21 out of 26 from the line, and they were in the bonus the last 7 minutes of the second half. They made all the plays down the stretch. They Zags did not and that's what won the game for the Aztecs. Everywhere across the board tonight the Zags did not do the things you need to do to win. The Zags did have ten blocks but not many led to any points. Hudson did not have a stat for that, but I know on several of those the Zags either turned the ball over or didn't even get a decent shot.

Morrison noted if you hold a team to 36% shooting and 30% from three, if you're an analytics guy, or even if you're not, you would suspect the team that shot that poorly would lose, but SDSU made a lot of big free throws down the stretch, and you just cannot turn the ball over 16 times.

I don't know how many times Hudson and Morrison noted that. Even with a poor shooting night by the guards GU still had their chances.

Perkins, Melson and Tillie all fouled out, each of who average double figures shot a combined 7-25. That's pretty much it! No coach and no player interviews.

Reborn
12-21-2017, 11:11 PM
Hudson and Morrison: 72-70 final score for SDSU, a big win for coach Brian Dutcher. Bulldogs fall behind 11-0, trial 25-23 at half.

Had five different chances in the second half to take the lead and never could. A wire to wire win for the Aztecs. Surprisingly the Zags outshot the Aztec 42% to 36% and from three, 31% to 30% but the turned the ball over 16 times to SDSU's 9.

Norvell with 22 and Hachimura with 13. Perkins and Melson dreadful shooting night 4-19, and Zags only 11-17 from the line. Zags fall to 10-3.

Bulldogs got off to slow start and they never could get the stop they needed or the bucket they needed. They made enough plays to win the game but a couple boneheaded plays and some silly fouls prevented them from ever getting the lead. Zags did seem to have a little momentum coming out of the locker room, but 16 turnovers against a quality team on the road, you just can't do that.

Several momentum back breakers like a missed free throw, Rui gets the rebound and kicks it out and the Zags just can't get a bucket. Another time J3 had the big dunk and missed the free throw, those are plays that can really turn the momentum and GU could just never capitalize on those plays.

SDSU free throw shooting 21 out of 26 from the line, and they were in the bonus the last 7 minutes of the second half. They made all the plays down the stretch. They Zags did not and that's what won the game for the Aztecs. Everywhere across the board tonight the Zags did not do the things you need to do to win. The Zags did have ten blocks but not many led to any points. Hudson did not have a stat for that, but I know on several of those the Zags either turned the ball over or didn't even get a decent shot.

Morrison noted if you hold a team to 36% shooting and 30% from three, if you're an analytics guy, or even if you're not, you would suspect the team that shot that poorly would lose, but SDSU made a lot of big free throws down the stretch, and you just cannot turn the ball over 16 times.

I don't know how many times Hudson and Morrison noted that. Even with a poor shooting night by the guards GU still had their chances.

Perkins, Melson and Tillie all fouled out, each of who average double figures shot a combined 7-25. That's pretty much it! No coach and no player interviews.

Agree with Morrison. I said it the last couple of weeks. If we continue to turn the ball over at the rate that they have been doing, they will go no where. Yet, most fans who post here totally don't see the value of taking care of the ball and continue to support Perkins and think he's SO good. What was good about that game tonight? And please, I hope you don't tell me that the Aztecs are a good team. Like Adam said, we outshot them both for the game and behind the arc. VERY VERY sloppy play, careless play, overconfident play = a loss. How long is Mark Few going to tolerate it?

Zags11
12-21-2017, 11:15 PM
Agree with Morrison. I said it the last couple of weeks. If we continue to turn the ball over at the rate that they have been doing, they will go no where. Yet, most fans who post here totally don't see the value of taking care of the ball and continue to support Perkins and think he's SO good. What was good about that game tonight? And please, I hope you don't tell me that the Aztecs are a good team. Like Adam said, we outshot them both for the game and behind the arc. VERY VERY sloppy play, careless play, overconfident play = a loss. How long is Mark Few going to tolerate it?

Reborn nm.

Zags11
12-22-2017, 12:06 AM
Lose to wvu in sw16 if he Perkins.
10pts. 2-10 shooting. 5 turnovers and 2 assists.

4pts. 2-9 shooting vs Portland. 3 ass and 1 to.

9pts. 4-13 shooting vs SDSU

15pts. 5-17 shooting vs NC

9pts. 3-12 shooting vs SDSU on 2nd game of yr. 3 assists and 4 turnovers.

15pts. 3-11 shooting vs Portland at home.

20pts. 6-19 shooting vs NW.

11.7ppg on 27.4% shooting.

Team record 6-1. If you think we go 6-1 with Perkins doing that? Your high. Probably 2-5.

TexasZagFan
12-22-2017, 04:28 AM

Christmas break couldn't have come at a better time. JPtheBeasta offered a phrase that falls in line to what you've been pointing out. "Value Every Possession", that must be our mantra for the rest of the year. That has to start with Josh. As much as I love the young man, it's no secret he's good for 2 to 3 brain farts on a good night.

Sitting Tillie worked one game it appears. He seems to play much better when Jacob is in the lineup, not so much when he's paired with J3. Johnathan needs to be at the 4, more minutes to Jacob at the 5, fewer minutes for Killian. Might as well, KT gets himself into too much foul trouble on his own.

Also appears to me roughly 40 percent into the season, that we have two players capable of consistently creating their own shot: Rui and Zach. Silas can do it, but he's disappeared in too many games. He's playing a different role this year, after being a stellar sixth man the last two.

Few had his 8 man rotation set last year by the tenth game...not so this year. Hopefully Corey and Jesse will be healthy in time for next week's games.

WallaWallaZag
12-22-2017, 09:23 AM
Few had his 8 man rotation set last year by the tenth game...not so this year. Hopefully Corey and Jesse will be healthy in time for next week's games.

increasingly looking like this will end up a lost/wasted year for jesse, but really hoping corey gets back to 100% soon and can hopefully restore some balance to the force...

WallaWallaZag
12-22-2017, 09:26 AM
Sitting Tillie worked one game it appears. He seems to play much better when Jacob is in the lineup, not so much when he's paired with J3. Johnathan needs to be at the 4, more minutes to Jacob at the 5, fewer minutes for Killian. Might as well, KT gets himself into too much foul trouble on his own.

if tillie can't control his fouling issues, coaching staff should seriously consider having him come off the bench...it might even just simply suit him better. don't even care if you start rui or larsen in his place, let whoever pick up a foul or two before bringing tillie in.

zag buddy
12-22-2017, 09:52 AM
I think anytime you have a "Gunner" on the team you change the flow of the offense. That's why Cory fit so well in the offense. He facilitated the flow and could shoot when open.

Zagceo
12-22-2017, 11:00 AM
I think anytime you have a "Gunner" on the team you change the flow of the offense. That's why Cory fit so well in the offense. He facilitated the flow and could shoot when open.

I'll take my chances with Zach shooting 50% last night against option of making more passes/turnovers

bballbeachbum
12-24-2017, 10:48 AM
thanks as always 116

don't know a poster on this board who hasn't said and doesn't that the turnovers, if not controlled, will kill us.
Josh was terrible, I think his worst game as a Zag that started with a sloppy turnover and he had others, but good grief, there is SOOOO much more going on in that defeat and on this team than that simpleton analysis seems to me. A lot covered already by the insightful posters here, thanks.

My $.02

This team is missing a reliable post option. I know that is not new insight but it is screwing things up and deserves repeating. Larsen maybe could do it but with the minutes being played out there by the guys getting the run, the post has not been a reliable threat option. Been awhile since the last time the Zags had this dilemma offensively. It's typically been something the opposing D always had to account for, the fact that Few could run his offense thru the post effectively at any moment as a first option (which happened with Shem a ton over and over again) to balance the attention of the opposing D, get them doubling and scrambling to open up gaps for everyone else, etc. That is not there right now for this team!!!

Huge hole in the attack, other teams can focus on stopping Josh, and that's what they've been doing, that's what I'd do, too. this team struggles hard when he is off the floor or struggling on it. hoping maybe Larsen will show hes the guy and keep getting more and more minutes.

jazzdelmar
12-24-2017, 11:21 AM
I'll take my chances with Zach shooting 50% last night against option of making more passes/turnovers

Zags’ fortune this year and next is inextricably linked to Norvell’s emergence as the point guard. Pure and simple.

jazzdelmar
12-24-2017, 11:22 AM

Lawd, we don’t need more passing.

TexasZagFan
12-24-2017, 11:31 AM
Zags’ fortune this year and next is inextricably linked to Norvell’s emergence as the point guard. Pure and simple.

Jazz, I thought Zach was a shooting guard.

jazzdelmar
12-24-2017, 11:33 AM
Jazz, I thought Zach was a shooting guard.

Ideally, but trouble ahead if he does not embrace the PG role, IMO.

23dpg
12-24-2017, 07:01 PM
Zach is not a PG. He is a born scorer. His passing, when attempted is below par. He is closer to a 3 than a 1.

MDABE80
12-24-2017, 08:29 PM
Zach is not a PG. He is a born scorer. His passing, when attempted is below par. He is closer to a 3 than a 1.
Ideally move Jesse to the PG slot and move Perks to SG to
share that with Norvell. Perks can do some time at PG as
Well.
I do think we need a more traditional PG .
If Jesse can get into game shape it might work out. Only Few knows.

GrizZAG
12-25-2017, 04:41 AM
Larson

A complete mystery why is not getting utilized more and especially in the USD game. He is our big and is capable. IMO he is the key to the door going forward. He has been evolving quickly, has sure hands and has shown an aggressive streak in him increasingly. Tillie is better when he's in the game. That duo should be on the floor 20 min a game or more IMO. Oh yeah, he makes FT's by the way. Frustrating.

MDABE80
12-25-2017, 01:20 PM
One of the keys to the rest of the season and beyond. Big, mobile, soft hands, good rebounder....and he serves to temper these horrible lapses in defense allowing opposing guards to endlessly drive the key! We have a lousy defense no matter what KenPom says.....
We won't go far unless we return to a top 10 defense. Everybody likes the fancy ally oops , etc but it's the defense that'll win games against a strong opponent. Get back to your roots Zags. Dance with the one who brung ya....the "look good"is nice but it won't win games like defense will. Hard work to be sure but therein lies the victories.

The Key should be NO man's land. The 3 land is the guard's responsibility....Norvell, Josh, Corey..very mediocre defenders out there. Instead of watching their men drive by them, they should be belly to belly......and nobody gets by. Takes effort but we go deep if we have good defense.