PDA

View Full Version : Norvell is a stud

seacatfan
12-21-2017, 09:13 PM
Without getting into who didn't play well, Zack was a bright spot tonight. He's been really good more often than not since entering the starting lineup. I'm quickly becoming a big fan of ZN.

jazzdelmar
12-21-2017, 09:15 PM
Without getting into who didn't play well, Zack was a bright spot tonight. He's been really good more often than not since entering the starting lineup. I'm quickly becoming a big fan of ZN.

Zack and Hatch......build around them......

seacatfan
12-21-2017, 09:18 PM
Yeah Rui picked up some slack tonight too.

Goshzagit
12-21-2017, 09:24 PM
Shoulda taken advantage or exploited both of them more...

Rui was clearly a mismatch for them.

We decided to just run, gun, & pass it out of bounds instead.

Our guards think they need to do to much and instead do too much, if that makes sense.

Mantua
12-21-2017, 09:27 PM

I hope he doesn’t transfer.

hooter73
12-21-2017, 09:28 PM
He has classic text book “chucker” percentages but he’s the only one with the rocks to take it to the other team so I love him.

NEC26
12-21-2017, 09:30 PM

Why would you imply he would transfer?

Reborn
12-21-2017, 09:30 PM
Shoulda taken advantage or exploited both of them more...

Rui was clearly a mismatch for them.

We decided to just run, gun, & pass it out of bounds instead.

Our guards think they need to do to much and instead do too much, if that makes sense.

Good post. True. I really enjoy watching Norvell play. It's nice to have someone who can score. Rui also played great. He's one player who really plays hard the whole game. I thought JW3 played really tough too. Proud of him. Nice to see him play tough again. He was a monster on the boards. Yet, he made a really stupid foul in the last minute, followed my a stupid foul by Perkins. Zags COULD NOT make a stop in the last two minutes. Every time Few went to the man to man the guards got beat and we had to foul.

Mantua
12-21-2017, 09:35 PM
Why would you imply he would transfer?

I have some anxiety about why he would stay.

bigblahla
12-21-2017, 09:40 PM
I have some anxiety about why he would stay.

You obviously didn't see his interview on the Mark Few show.....Pargo is how he got here his dad wanted him to go to Illinois...he came to become the best he can be, to leave his legacy and win a national championship....those were his words not mine....the kids a winner....he's a Zag..

Go!! Zags!!!

Mantua
12-21-2017, 09:45 PM
I did see it.

seacatfan
12-21-2017, 09:46 PM
Norvell has already used his RS, so I believe he would be giving up his soph year of eligibility if he transferred. Not that I think he's going to transfer.

jazzdelmar
12-21-2017, 09:49 PM
Pump the breaks. Love the kid, but he’s not THAT good. Only in comparison with Perkins and Melson. Most Power 5 teams have multiple Norvells on their roster.

Mantua
12-21-2017, 09:51 PM
Norvell has already used his RS, so I believe he would be giving up his soph year of eligibility if he transferred. Not that I think he's going to transfer.

Thank you! I forgot about that. I’ll stop worrying so much.

TexasZagFan
12-21-2017, 09:54 PM

Why would Zach leave? He’s been our leading scorer over the past 5-7 games, and Few has given him the green light. His all around play has improved, too. At his rate of progression, he’ll be NBA ready in time for the 2019 draft.

thespywhozaggedme
12-21-2017, 09:56 PM

Coming from someone who's made some really, really, really bad posts over the years. This is an awful, awful post really nonsensical.

thespywhozaggedme
12-21-2017, 09:57 PM
Pump the breaks. Love the kid, but he’s not THAT good. Only in comparison with Perkins and Melson. Most Power 5 teams have multiple Norvells on their roster.

No they don't. He's a flat out score, natural born. He has the potential to average 25 points per game his senior year. He reminds me a lot of Bradley Beal.

willandi
12-21-2017, 10:01 PM
No they don't. He's a flat out score, natural born. He has the potential to average 25 points per game his senior year. He reminds me a lot of Bradley Beal.

But he's not from New York!

TexasZagFan
12-21-2017, 10:04 PM

If we’re pumping the brakes on Zach, then both feet are slamming the pedal through the floorboards on Tillie. Now we know how Eisenhower felt when dealing with DeGaulle.

Skimhvn
12-21-2017, 10:07 PM

Yess, he looks like Beal. Easy to imagine for him to play in NBA.

WallaWallaZag
12-21-2017, 10:10 PM
if he can improve his consistency, he'll be a beast...right now he's just as likely to miss a wide open shot as he is to make a highly contested shot, which i don't get at all.
jw3 had a dunk and 1 but missed the free throw...rui grabbed the offensive board and kicked out to a wide open norvell who bricked the three, huge loss of momentum play.

Bullbuck55
12-21-2017, 10:17 PM
Offensively yes, defensively no. If healthy and I do not know if he is fully healthy, Kispert is much better defensively. I also think given and taking the same number of shot attempts that Zach takes, Kispert scores close to the same. The wings are killing us offensively.

TexasZagFan
12-21-2017, 10:24 PM
Offensively yes, defensively no. If healthy and I do not know if he is fully healthy, Kispert is much better defensively. I also think given and taking the same number of shot attempts that Zach takes, Kispert scores close to the same. The wings are killing us offensively.

Corey’s defense hasn’t been all that great, probably hampered by his injuries.

Bullbuck55
12-21-2017, 10:29 PM
Norvell will never transfer and unless he gets stronger and improves his defensive skills dramatically the remainder of this year and next, he'll be with us through '19 qnd '20, I believe. We do have a guard that probably will leave after this year...

ZagOD7540
12-21-2017, 10:30 PM
Norvell will never transfer and unless he gets stronger and improves his defensive skills dramatically the remainder of this year and next, he'll be with us through '19 qnd '20, I believe. We do have a guard that probably will leave after this year...

Yep...Silas

Ezag
12-21-2017, 11:17 PM
Pump the breaks. Love the kid, but he’s not THAT good. Only in comparison with Perkins and Melson.

LOL:roll:

Bullbuck55
12-21-2017, 11:34 PM
Yep...Silas yep and probably Wade.

CDC84
12-21-2017, 11:47 PM
Norvell has a chance to be very special once he rounds out the other parts of his game, and like Pangos, develops into a more consistent three point jump shooter. ZN reminds of Pangos his freshman and sophomore years. Ice cold, and then he would go 7/10 from three. It wasn't until he was an upperclassman that Kevin became more consistent from long range.

The thing that is great about ZN is that he has that killer instinct. I don't know if Few trusts him enough to take the big shots this year, but it's clear that he is going to be that guy (or one of those guys) in the future.

seacatfan
12-22-2017, 12:30 AM
What's w/ suggesting guys are going to transfer that have already used their redshirt year? Applies to both Norvell and Wade. You have to sit out a year if you transfer (although the NCAA is starting to get more liberal about granting waivers and letting student athletes have immediate eligibility). Normally you could RS that year, but not if you've already used it. That means you LOSE an entire year of eligibility. You have to be pretty desperate to get out to do that. Or figure you're going pro after 1 more year of playing. Obviously none of this applies to grad students, but I don't think anybody is getting their backelor's after only 2 years on campus. I don't like conjecturing about guys transferring, it's kinda bad form. But hypothetically let's just go w/ Wade transferring. You'd be looking at a guy who couldn't play til '19-'20, would be about 23 years old, w/ only 1 year of college ball under his belt (and limited minutes at that it's looking like), who didn't play for 2 years while he was on a Mormon mission, sat out a RS year, played 1 year, and then would be sitting out another year. 1 year of actually playing competitive ball in a 5 year span. My goodness, that would have to be one of the strangest transfers in the history of transfers.

zagsfanforlife
12-22-2017, 12:48 AM
Hes a good scorer--- Cory needs to start again though. WE could use Zachs scoring off the bench, but the team has not looked the same since CK was taken out of the starting lineup.

Malastein
12-22-2017, 03:16 AM
He’s the most gifted natural scorer since perhaps Ammo, but he doesn’t have the luxury of being able to play off the ball like Ammo could. He also has a bit of a tendency to pound the rock a lot more with his dribbling while not looking for passes. I could see him developing into a guy like Jamal Crawford, but his scoring alone doesn’t make me think he’s a stud.

Outraged
12-22-2017, 05:29 AM
Coach crazy was right about him.

amaronizag
12-22-2017, 10:39 AM
Norvell is wasted playing out in no-man's land at the 3. He needs to play the 1 or 2 where he can create. His defense is far better than he is being given credit for by most on this forum. He flies around the court after rebounds and gets his hands into many plays causing defections that are a huge part of the defensive game. If his 3 point shooting improves to the 40% range, and other aspects of his game improve by a similar small degree, he'll be as good as any guard ever to play at GU, (well except for our Hall of Fame guard).

ZagsObserver
12-22-2017, 10:44 AM
yep and probably Wade.

Why do you say that? True freshmen don’t often get minutes. Not sure where that is coming from...