10-26-2007, 06:43 AM
GU t-14th

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3080217

Rubbadub
10-26-2007, 06:46 AM
http://www.guboards.com/showpost.php?p=98053&postcount=20

ZagNative
10-26-2007, 06:53 AM
Thanks for starting a new thread, Wazzag. I saw a mention of the Coaches' poll buried in the other thread, but being the first "real" poll, a lot of people are going to be excited to see the news.

Goodie! Let the stoning of the coaches begin!

Midwestzag
10-26-2007, 07:29 AM
Here's some fun thoughts on a preseason Friday morning.

GU gets a shot at three of the top 10 teams (WSU, Tenn, and Memphis).

The Zags win all three of these matchups.

Zags are ranked #2 after the Memphis game, only trailing the smug Tarheels.

Zags get a rematch with UNC in the final four where Josh H. again dominates Tyler H.; Jeremy P. again dominates UNC's short overrated guard (I forget his name), and Matt B. again dazzles the crowd, scouts, and his opponents with his complete game.

Last prediction: Micah Downs becomes a stud offensive player for GU at a Miccy D's tripple cheeseburger level.

ZagNative
10-26-2007, 07:43 AM
Had to duck over to Xavier's board (http://www.musketeermadness.com/chatboard/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=1&TopicID=31709&PagePosition=1), because there are a handful of posters over there who have some serious Jebbie envy about the Zags. They did not disappoint:

I think that Gonzaga is officially on the free-pass-to-the-Top 25 gravy train. To me, #14 is high and further it seems they get ranking inflation every pre-season. But hey, that's just me.

Gonzaga is no #14 seed. What qualifies them for anything in the top 25?
;)

Elswhere, UConn (http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=342&f=2871&t=1291610&sto=pagestart#s=342&f=2871&t=1291610)'s #30 on the list, but their fans over on the Boneyard board aren't too upset:

Actually, our ranking looks pretty fair at this time of year. Once we beat the 'Zags (14th) we'll be in the top 20. Duke at 11? I don't see that at all.

thickman1
10-26-2007, 07:47 AM
The great thing about the UConn quote is the obvious respect that is given to GU. They're a little too confident about the game, but they know that if they beat GU it's a very nice feather in the cap when it comes to rankings and quality wins for their tournament resume.

ZagMan in Philly
10-26-2007, 07:54 AM
We are going to make believers out of those Xavier boarders soon enough!:D

as expected we are #1 here:
http://www.midmajortop25.com/

gonza
10-26-2007, 08:20 AM
Western Kentucky at # 6 !!

Nevtelen
10-26-2007, 08:26 AM
We are going to make believers out of those Xavier boarders soon enough!:D

as expected we are #1 here:
http://www.midmajortop25.com/

It's just so unfair to the other mid-majors that we're even in that poll. We really should not be there.

On a different note, it's cool to see we'll be playing some teams from that list - W Kentucky (#6) and (perhaps) Butler (#3, with 2 first place votes) in the GAS, and of course St Mary's (#11) in conference play. Montana and Santa Clara were in the "also getting votes" section, along with San Diego (interestingly) at the end.

Edit: Interesting to note that Randy Bennett and Sam Scuilli from SCU are on the voting panel. That could partially account for the strong WCC showing.

ZagNative
10-26-2007, 08:32 AM
Coaches voting in the USA Today/ESPN poll:

The USA TODAY/ESPN Board of Coaches is made up of 31 head coaches at Division I institutions. All are members of the National Association of Basketball Coaches. The board for the 2006-07 season: Mike Adras, Northern Arizona; Dana Altman, Creighton; Tevester Anderson, Jackson State; Ronnie Arrow, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi; Eddie Biedenbach, North Carolina-Asheville; Jim Boeheim, Syracuse; Matt Brady, Marist; Rick Byrd, Belmont; Charlie Coles, Miami (Ohio); Dick Davey, Santa Clara; Steve Fisher, San Diego State; Pat Flannery, Bucknell; Tim Floyd, Southern California; Greg Graham, Boise State; Tom Green, Fairleigh Dickinson; Johnny Jones, North Texas; Jim Larranaga, George Mason; Bob McKillop, Davidson; Phil Martelli, Saint Joseph's; Ron "Fang" Mitchell, Coppin State; Dan Monson, Minnesota; Dave Odom, South Carolina; Doc Sadler, Nebraska; Joe Scott, Princeton; Jimmy Tillette, Samford; Bob Thomason, Pacific; Perry Watson, Detroit Mercy; Gary Williams, Maryland; Doug Wojcik, Tulsa; Ted Woodward, Maine; Rich Zvosec, Missouri-Kansas City.
Presumably, there'll be a new list when the regular season poll comes out, for the 2007-08 season.

MDABE80
10-26-2007, 08:38 AM
Apart from the rankings done in the early Summer........which are traditionally crazy, most rankings put the Zags in the Top 20...most in the 14 to 15 range. Seems just about right.

ZagNative
10-26-2007, 08:48 AM
Apart from the rankings done in the early Summer........which are traditionally crazy, most rankings put the Zags in the Top 20...most in the 14 to 15 range. Seems just about right.

Oh, boy! Scared me for a minute. I was afraid you were going to say "Polls are meaningless ..." While of course that is true as to those polls which rank us too low, there should be a ban on such comments in this thread, so we can just rave on without the reality peddlers throwing cold water on us.

zagster318
10-26-2007, 08:59 AM
Had to duck over to Xavier's board (http://www.musketeermadness.com/chatboard/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=1&TopicID=31709&PagePosition=1), because there are a handful of posters over there who have some serious Jebbie envy about the Zags. They did not disappoint:

;)

Elswhere, UConn (http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=342&f=2871&t=1291610&sto=pagestart#s=342&f=2871&t=1291610)'s #30 on the list, but their fans over on the Boneyard board aren't too upset:

I must give props to xubrew...seems rather unbiased.

ZaggyStardust
10-26-2007, 09:07 AM
The best thing about being ranked in the top 25 preseason is that you get coverage on ESPN and such. I remember last year, virtually no highlights or mention of the Zags until the UNC game...

ZagNative
10-26-2007, 09:10 AM
Yes, xubrew is a smart guy, and there are other knowledgeable posters on that board. However, they do have a few that really have chips on their shoulders about the Zags, so I'm always amused when I read threads involving Gonzaga on that board.

One of xubrew's comments:

this gonzaga team is probably better than the gonzaga team that beat xavier two years ago. josh heytvelt is back, and if you look at last season and see how much better they were with him than without him that should tell you something. with matt bouldin, jeremy pargo and micah downs, i'd say the zags are pretty stacked. they also have a very good recruiting class. austin daye was one of the best high school forwards in the country last year, and they have two other very good guards coming in as well. i don't think they're too high at #14. if they stay healthy they'll probably finish the season ranked higher than that.

Butler Guy
10-26-2007, 10:26 AM
Western Kentucky at # 6 !!

There is likely money to be had in the Gonzaga vs Western Kentucky matchup, few realize how good the Toppers actually are. The line is likely to be out-of-whack for this game.

chirguy
10-26-2007, 11:35 AM
What gripes me is the NC #1. Let see they were bad last year, had a fair recruiting class and lost their best player to the draft. I don't think they'll make it to the elite 8.

Northspokane
10-26-2007, 12:33 PM
Chirguy,

I am assuming you are talking about UNC. And I am assuming you dont follow basketball at all. UNC was an elite 8 team last year a meltdown away from a Final Four. They have probably the best player in the nation in Tyler Hansbrough and probably best point guard Ty Lawson. oh and they didn't have a recruiting class for this year. William Graves is the only new guy and he is a Redshirt Freshman.

Thats not to say that the Zags wouldn't take them down if they meet in the NCAA tournament because they are vulnerable like every other team. However to call them bad last year and not saying that they aren't even in the discussion for the preseason #1 team is just stupid.

I feel that the Zags have the best chance that they have ever had to go to the final four this year. They have talent and desire and it should be fun to watch. There isnt a single team in the 2007-2008 crop of teams that the Zags don't have a great chance of beating.