Long Beach State @ #2 Michigan State
Cleveland State @ #20 Cinncy
Buffalo @ # 8 Texas A&M
U Conn @ # 18 Arizona
#14 Kansas @ Stanford

Have a great day. Go Zags !

sittingon50
12-21-2017, 09:21 AM
Best of luck to Bryan Alberts & Coach Mons.

CDC84
12-21-2017, 09:46 AM
Arizona is starting to get its mojo going. I saw them in person last Saturday night, and they were awfully impressive at UNM in front of a hostile crowd. Much better attention to detail on defense, with Trier and Alkins to punish the opposition w/ threes and buckets in the lane if the defense places too much emphasis on Ayton. The only problem continues to be PJC at point guard. He just doesn't put the fear in anyone on both ends. I personally liked the lineup where Miller had Alkins and Trier bring the ball up with Brandon Randolph as another wing scoring option. Randolph probably hit the biggest shot in the UNM win.

Note that the Kansas/Stanford game is being played in Sacramento.

Monson just won't back down from that killer schedule, won't he? I'm not really sure it prepares his team well for the conference tournament, which is ultimately what matters. The Big West only gets one team in. I would rather have a team that gets some challenges but is rested.

bartruff1
12-21-2017, 09:50 AM
BYU is playing some defense and has won like 6 games in a row....not missing the Lone Pine Three....Rose has a terrific one hour show on BYU TV and it is obvious those kids really enjoy each other and are having fun...Bryant WCC Player of the Week

Rose said this might be his best team.....

adoptedzag
12-21-2017, 10:15 AM
Arizona is starting to get its mojo going. I saw them in person last Saturday night, and they were awfully impressive at UNM in front of a hostile crowd. Much better attention to detail on defense, with Trier and Alkins to punish the opposition w/ threes and buckets in the lane if the defense places too much emphasis on Ayton. The only problem continues to be PJC at point guard. He just doesn't put the fear in anyone on both ends. I personally liked the lineup where Miller had Alkins and Trier bring the ball up with Brandon Randolph as another wing scoring option. Randolph probably hit the biggest shot in the UNM win.

Note that the Kansas/Stanford game is being played in Sacramento.

Monson just won't back down from that killer schedule, won't he? I'm not really sure it prepares his team well for the conference tournament, which is ultimately what matters. The Big West only gets one team in. I would rather have a team that gets some challenges but is rested.

That's how he gets paid. I believe most, if not all road revenue goes straight to him. That's how they keep his salary really low. There was an article about it on here a while ago.

seacatfan
12-21-2017, 03:25 PM
Monson just won't back down from that killer schedule, won't he? I'm not really sure it prepares his team well for the conference tournament, which is ultimately what matters. The Big West only gets one team in.

I think the answer is a resounding "no;" the scheduling does them no favors. He has 1 NCAA Tourney appearance during his 10 years at Beach. They won the Big West regular season 3 straight years from '11 to '13, but only won the conference tourney one of those years.

seacatfan
12-21-2017, 03:28 PM
Trier is supposed to play tonight but probably isn't 100%. He banged knees against an opponent on Monday and left the court in a lot of pain. I think the injury was listed as a mild sprain or a bone bruise.

CDC84
12-21-2017, 03:32 PM
That's how he gets paid. I believe most, if not all road revenue goes straight to him. That's how they keep his salary really low. There was an article about it on here a while ago.

Interesting. I hate to say this, but this might also explain why he has lasted so long at LBSU. Either that, or he has a really patient AD. I mean, I think Monson is a good coach, but AD's these days are immensely impatient.

CDC84
12-21-2017, 03:37 PM
As a side note.....after the game on Saturday outside of UNM's practice facility, about 200 Arizona fans surrounded the Wildcats team bus...asking for autographs and such. They had to put up barriers. I think it's kind of neat how the program does these home and homes with southwest schools like UNM and UTEP. Even NMSU's arena, the Pan American Center, seats around 12,000. It allows the Wildcat fans to attend a nearby (relatively speaking) road game at a school whose arena is big enough to offer plenty of tickets.

seacatfan
12-21-2017, 04:09 PM
Along those lines, no matter where Arizona is playing, you can almost always hear the "U of A" chant. They either travel really well or strategically have alums/fans planted just about everywhere.

TexasZagFan
12-21-2017, 04:42 PM
Along those lines, no matter where Arizona is playing, you can almost always hear the "U of A" chant. They either travel really well or strategically have alums/fans planted just about everywhere.

Zag fans travel well, too. I remember going to Nashville last year, and there must have been a few hundred Zag fans there. One of them, a 6 YO boy (aka "Big D") participated in their halftime show, a "slam dunk" contest. Only a few, such as GoZags, knew the kid was a Zag fan, because he was forced into wearing a Volunteer jersey over the Zag shirt...price of participation, I guess.

:lmao:

sittingon50
12-21-2017, 04:53 PM
LB State 60
MSU 102

Alberts not in the box score. Anyone know what's up with that?

bartruff1
12-21-2017, 05:20 PM

Exactly, they know he is a good coach and they want to keep him ....so they pay him well.... there was a article to that effect....they don't expect him to win those non conference games....that is how they can afford his salary..

Of course it would be great if he could win the automatic bid occasionally...

seacatfan
12-21-2017, 05:44 PM
Exactly, they know he is a good coach and they want to keep him ....so they pay him well.... there was a article to that effect....they don't expect him to win those non conference games....that is how they can afford his salary..

Of course it would be great if he could win the automatic bid occasionally...

They've finished 3rd or 4th in the Big West the last 4 years. He's not that good of a coach.

seacatfan
12-21-2017, 05:45 PM
Tried to watch Arizona-UConn. Ugly, frustrating game. And Bill Walton is yammering away. Had to stop watching.

Goshzagit
12-21-2017, 05:56 PM

Even after 3 losses in 3 days, I kept singing Zona praise.

Not many realize Rawle Atkins -- incredible raw strength -- has been out with injury all season 'til recently. He was a Top-10 5* guard. He and Trier form the strongest dribble drive offense in the nation. Can't stop these guys when they cut to the hoop.

Ayton is a beast/man amongst boys for ANY team. Watching him warm-up intimidates me.

Arizona going to be a force come February/March. And to think, they will be a lower seed.

Zags will have to get through Arizona St and Arizona out West. Both teams are awful match-ups this season.

Sound Voltex
12-21-2017, 08:01 PM
Portland 80, Sacramento State 75
BYU 85, Idaho State 71
San Jose State 75, Santa Clara 63 (Santa Clara only scored 18 in the first half)

seacatfan
12-21-2017, 08:14 PM
Portland St. was walloping Cal last I saw. How bad is Cal this year? And how did San Diego St. manage to lose to them?

seacatfan
12-21-2017, 08:17 PM
I skipped almost the entire second half of the Arizona game. A 7 point half time lead quickly dwindled to a 1 or 2 possession game most of the rest of the way. They finally pulled away late to win 73-58, but the game was closer than that. This team just isn't winning me over, there's something missing. It appears UConn totally sold out on stopping Ayton, so Ristic hurt them pretty bad w/ 18 points and 9 boards. Alkins scored 20, Trier had 13 or 15 I think.

bartruff1
12-21-2017, 08:18 PM
They've finished 3rd or 4th in the Big West the last 4 years. He's not that good of a coach.

Well if you say so...

seacatfan
12-21-2017, 09:30 PM
Well if you say so...

Not trying to pick a fight w/ you. Look at his record. 118-106 in 8 years at Minnesota w/ 1 Tourney appearance. 170-159 in 10 years at LB State w/ 1 Tourney appearance (not including this season's 5-9 record so far). Take away the '98-'99 season at Gonzaga and there's nothing but mediocrity there. What jumps out at you and makes you think he's a good coach? 20 years of not much over .500 and 3 Tourney appearances. And by far the highlight of his career was his second season as a head coach. I think there's some sentimentality because of his ties to GU, but he's been gone a long time and hasn't done much since he left.

All Weather Fan
12-21-2017, 10:08 PM
Darn Seacat ! An argument backed up with facts. Hit the nail on the head ! I like that.

bartruff1
12-22-2017, 01:07 AM
The people that pay him must think he is a good coach....perhaps you should share your facts with them...

Bogozags
12-22-2017, 04:18 AM
Not trying to pick a fight w/ you. Look at his record. 118-106 in 8 years at Minnesota w/ 1 Tourney appearance. 170-159 in 10 years at LB State w/ 1 Tourney appearance (not including this season's 5-9 record so far). Take away the '98-'99 season at Gonzaga and there's nothing but mediocrity there. What jumps out at you and makes you think he's a good coach? 20 years of not much over .500 and 3 Tourney appearances. And by far the highlight of his career was his second season as a head coach. I think there's some sentimentality because of his ties to GU, but he's been gone a long time and hasn't done much since he left.

I also remember reading that Coach Monson receives a percentage of all guarantees LBSU gets from scheduling away games such as the MSU loss, which is why LBSU schedules so many of these games and that money arguments his salary.

I don't think he is a GREAT coach but he is a good coach...just that he has been unable to recruit the type of kids he needs to play his style on both ends of the court...IMO almost all college coaches can coach but getting THE recruits they need to implement their style is a key factor to their success...Coach K didn't taste success in coaching when he was at Army and once he got to Duke things picked up...how successful would he have been, if he remained at Army!

WallaWallaZag
12-22-2017, 08:13 AM
The people that pay him must think he is a good coach....perhaps you should share your facts with them...

i'm not sure how good of a coach he is, but long beach state isn't exactly a choice destination...they probably think he's about as good as they are likely to get...