PDA

View Full Version : Article on the Athletic: "WCC Notebook" by Sam Vecenie talks Zach Norvell

irishzag_09
12-19-2017, 10:27 AM
Sam Vecenie authored an article on the Athletic that was post worthy...seriously, those of you who haven't subscribed to this site, it's worth the small price of admission for these great write-ups.
Here's a quick excerpt and gist:

https://theathletic.com/187686/2017/12/18/wcc-notebook-byu-utah-ncaa-gonzaga-zach-norvell-lmu/

Zach Norvellís hot stretch moves him into starting lineup

"Zach Norvell is making the leap that was expected of him when he committed to play in Spokane. The Chicago native already is arguably the most talented perimeter scorer in the league as a redshirt freshman, scoring 20 points per game over his last five contests.

...The key for Norvell going forward, though, isnít the scoring part of the game. Rather, Gonzaga coach Mark Few needs to see more in other areas.

ďIíve been looking for growth on the defensive end and growth in shot selection and kind of understanding whatís good and what isnít so good,Ē Few told The Spokesman."

Zach and Corey are replacing "Big Shot Bob" from last year (Jordan Matthews for the uninformed) and Matthews had those killer dagger-3's from the corner all last season, along with some heady defensive plays. I know both of these guys will easily surpass the role that Jordan played last year for us, but the team to date just needs to cut down on the turnovers and we'll be fine down the stretch come tournament time...and maybe take a few charges like Jordan did last year wouldn't hurt either on help side defense from the wing.

phxfireflames
12-19-2017, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the heads-up! The in-depth content is definitely worth the extra $

GonzagasaurusFlex
12-19-2017, 11:31 AM
Just imagining the scenario of Norvell, Kispert and Perkins all being hot from 3 in the same [NCAA Tourney] game..or maybe it’s Tillie and Melson. This team has a lot guys who can make 3’s; that gives them a puncher’s chance vs anyone and everyone.

Goshzagit
12-19-2017, 12:18 PM
I thought Norvell had his best game as a Zag last night.

Many look at box score stats, and Norvell had his lowest scoring game but his best overall performance.

His passed well, picked his spots, plugged gaps defensively, looked to get a charge or two (although called blocks), key steals, dove for at least 2 loose balls, even defending a couple transition buckets.

He was also consistent with his effort and hustle in BOTH halves.

I watched Coach Few cheer him on several times after deflections and playing to the game plan.

He needs to do the small things to consistently do the big things.

We all know he is going to be a superstar talent at Gonzaga one day, so I was so happy to see him play scrappy last night and defer to others when necessary. He played within the flow of the game.

A sight to see.

billyberu
12-19-2017, 12:46 PM
I thought Norvell had his best game as a Zag last night.

Many look at box score stats, and Norvell had his lowest scoring game but his best overall performance.

His passed well, picked his spots, plugged gaps defensively, looked to get a charge or two (although called blocks), key steals, dove for at least 2 loose balls, even defending a couple transition buckets.

He was also consistent with his effort and hustle in BOTH halves.

I watched Coach Few cheer him on several times after deflections and playing to the game plan.

He needs to do the small things to consistently do the big things.

We all know he is going to be a superstar talent at Gonzaga one day, so I was so happy to see him play scrappy last night and defer to others when necessary. He played within the flow of the game.

A sight to see.I find myself in agreement. If it wasn't for Tillie's 27pt night ZN would have been my POG. Also, there is a scrappiness about him that is difficult to quantify. He has a way of answering when our opponents heat up. There's no shrinking from the moment and he's the only player on this roster who can efficiently create his own shot.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Hoopaholic
12-19-2017, 04:09 PM
I find myself in agreement. If it wasn't for Tillie's 27pt night ZN would have been my POG. Also, there is a scrappiness about him that is difficult to quantify. He has a way of answering when our opponents heat up. There's no shrinking from the moment and he's the only player on this roster who can efficiently create his own shot.

disagree Silas can create his own shot when he puts his mind to it

billyberu
12-19-2017, 10:13 PM
disagree Silas can create his own shot when he puts his mind to itZach puts his mind to it. More.

TheGonzagaFactor
12-20-2017, 07:20 AM
Sam Vecenie authored an article on the Athletic that was post worthy...seriously, those of you who haven't subscribed to this site, it's worth the small price of admission for these great write-ups.
Here's a quick excerpt and gist:

https://theathletic.com/187686/2017/12/18/wcc-notebook-byu-utah-ncaa-gonzaga-zach-norvell-lmu/

Zach Norvell’s hot stretch moves him into starting lineup

"Zach Norvell is making the leap that was expected of him when he committed to play in Spokane. The Chicago native already is arguably the most talented perimeter scorer in the league as a redshirt freshman, scoring 20 points per game over his last five contests.

...The key for Norvell going forward, though, isn’t the scoring part of the game. Rather, Gonzaga coach Mark Few needs to see more in other areas.

“I’ve been looking for growth on the defensive end and growth in shot selection and kind of understanding what’s good and what isn’t so good,” Few told The Spokesman."

Zach and Corey are replacing "Big Shot Bob" from last year (Jordan Matthews for the uninformed) and Matthews had those killer dagger-3's from the corner all last season, along with some heady defensive plays. I know both of these guys will easily surpass the role that Jordan played last year for us, but the team to date just needs to cut down on the turnovers and we'll be fine down the stretch come tournament time...and maybe take a few charges like Jordan did last year wouldn't hurt either on help side defense from the wing.

Isn't the headline wrong? Didn't he move into the starting lineup because Corey was hurt, THEN had a hot stretch?

GonzagasaurusFlex
12-20-2017, 07:48 AM
Isn't the headline wrong? Didn't he move into the starting lineup because Corey was hurt, THEN had a hot stretch?

Bingo

jazzdelmar
12-20-2017, 08:20 AM
disagree Silas can create his own shot when he puts his mind to it

He certainly can...but he doesn't do it nearly enough.

jazzdelmar
12-20-2017, 08:22 AM
Norvell has star quality no Zag has had since the Bonus.....

sittingon50
12-20-2017, 10:53 AM

Depends on your definition.

Kispert started & played 13 min. vs Incarnate Word & rolled his ankle.

Norvell relieved, played 28 mins. & got 17.

billyberu
12-20-2017, 12:03 PM
Norvell has star quality no Zag has had since the Bonus.....For once we agree. [emoji2]

jazzdelmar
12-20-2017, 12:52 PM
For once we agree. [emoji2]

Let's build on this, BB.

bartruff1
12-20-2017, 01:03 PM
They all look like they can create their shot to me....perhaps some more than others but they can all do it...

CdAZagFan
12-20-2017, 01:44 PM
Just imagining the scenario of Norvell, Kispert and Perkins all being hot from 3 in the same [NCAA Tourney] game..or maybe it’s Tillie and Melson. This team has a lot guys who can make 3’s; that gives them a puncher’s chance vs anyone and everyone.

Agree with this. This team has a ton of guys that can hit the 3, but on the flip side, will hate to see those games where the 3 isn't dropping. Got spoiled last year with being able to go inside at will when outside shots weren't falling. A little tougher to do this year.