• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Reborn
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2007

Gonzaga vs IUPUI it's game day

Good morning. It's game day, the best day of the week. I'm looking forward to seeing the guys play tonight. I've been watching the North Dakota, and really like how they played the second half. Hoping they bring that energy tonight. I'm beginning to really like how Norvell plays. He is so confident and talented. I love seeing that kind of confidence. That reverse move in the middle of the key kind of reminds me of Jeremy Pargo who had such a great reverse move in the key. Jeremy was also from Chicago. I really enjoyed Perkins against ND. Loved his desire to win.

I'd love to see more of that press.

Hope to see Rui play more. He looks a lot better against lower ranked teams. This kind of games can help him a lot I think.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!
  • zag67
    Zag for Life
    • Sep 2007

I agree on Norvell and also liked 2 of Perkins drives also. It is giving hope for improvement as the year goes on.

Comment

• ZagsGoZags
      Zag for Life
      • Nov 2007

Rui's defense reminds me (but not to the same extreme) of Wiltjer's. When player drives on him I see the imaginary bull fighter's cape letting them through. Neither guy bends his knees for quick lateral movement. I don't see how Rui makes it in the NBA without more quickness and energy on defense.

Comment

• raise the zag
        Zag for Life
        • May 2011

Originally posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
        Rui's defense reminds me (but not to the same extreme) of Wiltjer's. When player drives on him I see the imaginary bull fighter's cape letting them through. Neither guy bends his knees for quick lateral movement. I don't see how Rui makes it in the NBA without more quickness and energy on defense.
        his hype is fading fast, even in the eyes of scouts.

2 reasons:

-- defensive fundamentals
        -- question mark on perimeter shot.

WE all know Rui can shoot the 3, yet doesn't happen enough given his position, also not MEAN enough for the League. At least not yet. No killer instinct, more people pleasing play.

The thing is, Rui is the type of player/prospect a GM falls for, yet a Scout passes on. Happens all the time.

Rui will show up to the combine, measure 6'8", 7'2" wingspan, 38" vertical, show his shooting prowess, etc and garner attn.

Rui is so far ready for the League, it ain't funny. Even from an emotional standpoint.

Comment

• Zag Man
          Kennel Club Material
          • Feb 2010

Is there a link out there so I can see the game? I was not able to see the game when it broadcasted.

Comment

• Reborn
            Zag for Life
            • Oct 2007

it's still game day so here goes. Gonzaga's defense is really bad. I'm not sure what Few's going to do with it, but they can not play man to man. I was NOT impressed with Gonzaga at all, and felt they were very lackluster, especially on D. Obious they were okay offensively, but IUPUI had not big men to guard ours. It was an obvious mismatch. So why wouldn't Tillie and Williams dominate in the post.

I just can't get very excited about this Zag team who commits one turnover after another, and they really don't seem to care. I guess Few doesn't either because he is NOT benching anyone for such careless play. Thank God it's early in the season. Because this team right now is really not too good.

What impressed me? Larsen. He's fantastic, yet Few continues to play him very little. He always gives his best, and always plays with 100% effort. Very very unimpressed with Jones. I don't really care what anyone says, he is a horrible defensive player. Just try watching him for awhile. We all know Norvell is certainly horrible on D. Perkins is getting beat time after time on drives to bucket.

Tillie did play hard, as did JW3 but what will they do Thursday?

Comment

• amaronizag
              Bleeds GU Blue
              • Jul 2013

I agree with you Reborn -- Larsen is looking really good. Unless his knee injury/strength is an issue, I hope he will start getting more minutes when Few tightens up the rotation. For now, I think Few is just trying to get Rui and Jones in for as many minutes of experience as possible. You and Abe are correct that we are letting these cupcakes to score way too many points.

Did anyone notice J3 hurt his knee last night mid way through the 2nd half??? Few left him in the game, but he favored it subtly and moved gingerly on it for the rest of the game. I focused totally on him after that and his lateral movement suffered due to the injury. After he tweaked his knee, he couldn't keep up with his man so he fouled him as he blew past. He wears a knee support so I'm not sure if this is new or a lingering issue. We'll see what Thursday brings.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Reborn View Post
                it's still game day so here goes. Gonzaga's defense is really bad. I'm not sure what Few's going to do with it, but they can not play man to man. I was NOT impressed with Gonzaga at all, and felt they were very lackluster, especially on D. Obious they were okay offensively, but IUPUI had not big men to guard ours. It was an obvious mismatch. So why wouldn't Tillie and Williams dominate in the post.

I just can't get very excited about this Zag team who commits one turnover after another, and they really don't seem to care. I guess Few doesn't either because he is NOT benching anyone for such careless play. Thank God it's early in the season. Because this team right now is really not too good.

What impressed me? Larsen. He's fantastic, yet Few continues to play him very little. He always gives his best, and always plays with 100% effort. Very very unimpressed with Jones. I don't really care what anyone says, he is a horrible defensive player. Just try watching him for awhile. We all know Norvell is certainly horrible on D. Perkins is getting beat time after time on drives to bucket.

Tillie did play hard, as did JW3 but what will they do Thursday?
                Bornie, you are our Diogenes.

Comment

• Reborn
                  Zag for Life
                  • Oct 2007

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                  Bornie, you are our Diogenes.
                  Aw Thanks. Merry Christmas. It's an honor to think I'm a biogene.

Comment

Working...
                  X