PDA

View Full Version : Week 7 Rankings

zagdontzig
12-17-2017, 10:36 PM
I find myself holding my breath a little until tomorrow. I could see the committee dinging us a spot for letting North Dakota take us into overtime at home. Or needing overtime to beat them, whichever sounds less terrible.

I am a little worried about how they will handle the Wichita State loss. We are the next weakest performance behind Wichita State, until you get to Seton Hall's loss, and I don't see them falling from 3 to 15. I could see them Bumping us and giving Wichita State 12, but that also means giving Kansas a 2-place bump for beating Nebraska. Best case scenario, they put Wichita State at 11, and move everyone else up a spot, leaving us right where we are.

ZagsGoZags
12-18-2017, 03:05 AM
good teams find ways to win when the underdog is playing way over their heads,
it happened for us with North Dakota and will happen a few times in the WCC. The way things look
to me right now is we don't move much in the rankings tomorrow morning.

Zagger
12-18-2017, 03:09 AM
I'm guessing we drop - but hope not. I certainly don't see getting a higher ranking. I think this team is solid excepting the funk they can get into when they're missing their mojo.

SWZag
12-18-2017, 04:32 AM
good teams find ways to win when the underdog is playing way over their heads,
it happened for us with North Dakota and will happen a few times in the WCC. The way things look
to me right now is we don't move much in the rankings tomorrow morning.

This. There was a good list of Top 25 teams Saturday that did lose, and GU wasnt one.

realtydog
12-18-2017, 06:59 AM
I agree that it is nice to be ranked (notoriety, recruiting, etc.) but why do so many here seem to sweat the position in the ranking?

willandi
12-18-2017, 07:05 AM
I agree that it is nice to be ranked (notoriety, recruiting, etc.) but why do so many here seem to sweat the position in the ranking?

Probably it's the perception that rankings equate to seeding, one one level. On a second, and more visceral level, it is just the inner pride that comes from everyone else in the country having to see that the media and the coaches believe the Zags to be one of the top schools in the country. There may also be a 3rd level that feels that Gonzaga has proven itself over the last (fill in the blank) number of years, and have become a peripheral Blue Blood, and so deserve to be ranked simply for that reason.

mgadfly
12-18-2017, 07:38 AM
I find myself holding my breath a little until tomorrow. I could see the committee dinging us a spot for letting North Dakota take us into overtime at home. Or needing overtime to beat them, whichever sounds less terrible.

Did I miss something? Does the committee rank teams as the season goes along like College Football does now?

If we are talking about rankings, I don't think it really matters being dropped a spot or two.

Did anyone else see the team cards the committee will use to evaluate squads at the end of the year?

http://i.turner.ncaa.com/sites/default/files/images/2017/12/04/team_sheet_guide1.pdf

gu03alum
12-18-2017, 08:21 AM
Seth Davis had us at 8 last night (https://twitter.com/sethdavishoops/status/942591726610468870)

gueastcoast
12-18-2017, 08:22 AM
Rankings matter for recruiting, program visibility, media coverage, and in myriad other ways. Perhaps while not technically part of seeding, if you believe rankings don't creep into the committee's consideration I think you are fooling yourself.

Hoopaholic
12-18-2017, 08:42 AM
Seth Davis had us at 8 last night (https://twitter.com/sethdavishoops/status/942591726610468870)

he retweets a Matt Craig listing of mid major rankings .....that includes St mary but not gonzaga....??????????????

WallaWallaZag
12-18-2017, 08:44 AM
holding steady @ #12 in AP poll...shockers dropped from #3 all the way to just in front of the zags (their loss to nd not looking as good as it used to, just like the gator loss for zags)

Zagdawg
12-18-2017, 09:25 AM
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/dec/18/gonzaga-remains-no-12-in-ap-basketball-poll/

ZagsObserver
12-18-2017, 09:34 AM
he retweets a Matt Craig listing of mid major rankings .....that includes St mary but not gonzaga....??????????????

Gonzaga is not mid major. It’s a compliment.

SWZag
12-18-2017, 09:36 AM

I've seen several polls like this that exclude GU. I think it's a sign that they no longer think GU should be rated amongst the "Mid-Majors."

titopoet
12-18-2017, 09:38 AM
Hey, hey, hey welcome back Creighton to the top 25 at number 25. Keep moving up Bluejays and keep making Zags look good.

IowaSERE
12-18-2017, 09:55 AM

Exactly. Pretty awesome isn't it?

In other words, we're not a mid major

zagdontzig
12-18-2017, 09:59 AM
Did I miss something? Does the committee rank teams as the season goes along like College Football does now?

If we are talking about rankings, I don't think it really matters being dropped a spot or two.

Did anyone else see the team cards the committee will use to evaluate squads at the end of the year?

http://i.turner.ncaa.com/sites/default/files/images/2017/12/04/team_sheet_guide1.pdf

You are correct. Should've said "the AP," not "the committee."

The more Florida sucks, the more I wish we'd showed up at all for Villanova...

ZagsGoZags
12-18-2017, 10:34 AM
I have always thought the term "Mid-Major" referred to the Conference, not individual teams.

ZagsObserver
12-18-2017, 10:37 AM
I have always thought the term "Mid-Major" referred to the Conference, not individual teams.

Typically, but with exceptions. Facilities and money towards athletics by BYU and GU put them in the exception category.

zagdontzig
12-18-2017, 10:38 AM

Yea, we've had this argument ad infinitum. I agree we you though. We're not P5, so we ARE mid-major.*

*hard period.

Reborn
12-18-2017, 11:08 AM
Kenpom also has the Zags ranked at #12. I like this site the best. Nice to see the Zags holding. I think they played pretty good that 2nd half. I think the analysts agree. So many teams got upset this past weekend. Zags could have, but they didn't yield.

Looking forward to tonight.

thespywhozaggedme
12-18-2017, 02:08 PM
Yea, we've had this argument ad infinitum. I agree we you though. We're not P5, so we ARE mid-major.*

*hard period.

We are a major program in a midmajor conference.