PDA

View Full Version : Can ZN be first team all WCC as a red shirt freshman?

thespywhozaggedme
12-16-2017, 10:22 PM
At the rate that he scores, I think the answer is yes. Have we ever had a freshman first team all conference before? I honestly do not know.

bartruff1
12-17-2017, 12:22 AM
Pangos was !st Team all 4 years...... including his freshman year .......as a true freshman.

jazzdelmar
12-17-2017, 04:01 AM
First team AA as a senior is more like it.......A captivating player

thespywhozaggedme
12-17-2017, 06:15 AM
Pangos was !st Team all 4 years...... including his freshman year .......as a true freshman.

Oh really? I didn't realize that. Thank you

GoZags
12-17-2017, 06:23 AM
Oh really? I didn't realize that. Thank you

Hey Spy .... there's all sorts of useful info/tidbits in this link .....

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/gonz/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/2017-18/misc_non_event/1718MBBRecordBook.pdf

TexasZagFan
12-17-2017, 06:42 AM
First team AA as a senior is more like it.......A captivating player

Zach's my favorite for leading scorer this year.

avid-zag-fan
12-17-2017, 07:10 AM
zn is a great finisher in the paint, 2nd on the team 2 pt % to Kispert. that said he scores a lot because he shoots way too many 3,s. He's not a great 3 pt shooter. He's only better than JW3 in 3 pt %. Melson's better, Wade is better, Kispert's better, Jones is better, Perkins is way better, etc. ZN needs to show more digression then his % would go up .

WallaWallaZag
12-17-2017, 07:22 AM
zn is a great finisher in the paint, 2nd on the team 2 pt % to Kispert. that said he scores a lot because he shoots way too many 3,s. He's not a great 3 pt shooter. He's only better than JW3 in 3 pt %. Melson's better, Wade is better, Kispert's better, Jones is better, Perkins is way better, etc. ZN needs to show more digression then his % would go up .

norvell is actually a very good 3 point shooter (but only after he bricks his first 4-5 shot attempts...he might as well just jack them up in the first couple minutes and get it over with)

avid-zag-fan
12-17-2017, 08:41 AM
sorry Walla walla but 2nd worst 3 pt shooter on the team is 2nd worst. he should never jack them up unless he's set and it's a kick out from someone. He should drive. that's his strength and let the higher percentage shooters shoot the 3's. he has the highest 3 pt shots/min by far on the team. the zags strength and offensive efficiency is based on inside out.

thespywhozaggedme
12-17-2017, 09:02 AM
Hey Spy .... there's all sorts of useful info/tidbits in this link .....

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/gonz/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/2017-18/misc_non_event/1718MBBRecordBook.pdf

Oh wow, I have never seen that before. That is sweet! Thanks

bigblahla
12-17-2017, 10:14 AM
sorry Walla walla but 2nd worst 3 pt shooter on the team is 2nd worst. he should never jack them up unless he's set and it's a kick out from someone. He should drive. that's his strength and let the higher percentage shooters shoot the 3's. he has the highest 3 pt shots/min by far on the team. the zags strength and offensive efficiency is based on inside out.

So a guy who makes 14 3's in one game can't shoot the 3...coach Daniels agrees with WWZ..."He noted Norvell might just as well miss his first 4 or 5 shots every night and get it over with. Daniels said it seems once he misses those shots he seems to go to into a zone"....think of it like an artillery gunner finding the range.

Go!! Zags!!!

Birddog
12-17-2017, 10:25 AM
Doesn't the WCC name 10 to the first team? That doubles the odds IMO.

MontanaCoyote
12-17-2017, 11:12 AM
I don't know, but that O rebound off the rim, out to the perimeter and no hesitation 3 tells me he's got a decent shot at it.
Play would have been sweet anytime, but at the time it was high fructose and then some.

Gonezagaga
12-17-2017, 11:28 AM
Norvelle reminds me a lot of Jared Brownridge from Santa Clara. He will miss some shots but will also go through stretches where he absolutely can’t miss and will totally dominate the game.

zag buddy
12-17-2017, 06:14 PM
I am concerned with his shooting percentages. Any player on the team could match them or exceed them if they shot as much. He makes some really nice drives but that is part of his make percentage.

bartruff1
12-17-2017, 07:22 PM
I don't know, but that O rebound off the rim, out to the perimeter and no hesitation 3 tells me he's got a decent shot at it.
Play would have been sweet anytime, but at the time it was high fructose and then some.

That was pure Morrison......that kid has no fear...

bballbeachbum
12-17-2017, 08:05 PM
awesome competitive fire
looks like he expects to make plays, is used to making plays, and is figuring out game to game how to translate his game to this level, and maybe more so how best to help this team. all this after getting the call when Corey got hurt and getting his first starts

I just love how he competes. ND's Jones had a plan to spread the floor and take JIII, Tillie and Zach off the bounce to create out of those matchups mostly with Crandall and Seales, and they really went after ZN to start the 2nd half and throughout the 2nd half finding plenty of success too BUT he also battled back strong and seemed to understand what they were trying to do to him and responded. especially had big answers on O.

plenty of room for growth and all that, yes, which is a great thing btw! but wow, fun to watch him express himself last night down the stretch

tummydoc
12-17-2017, 09:15 PM
I am concerned with his shooting percentages. Any player on the team could match them or exceed them if they shot as much. He makes some really nice drives but that is part of his make percentage.He reminds me of freshman year Silas. First time down the court jack a 3 clanker. But I love how Silas has matured. Suspect Zach will get there, but not quickly.

WallaWallaZag
12-17-2017, 10:13 PM
He reminds me of freshman year Silas. First time down the court jack a 3 clanker. But I love how Silas has matured. Suspect Zach will get there, but not quickly.

few giving norvell way more of a leash than silas as an underclassmen...zach a much more talented scorer...no comparison
melson has only scored 20 once in his entire career (this year vs creighton)
snacks is averaging 20 per game in the last 5 since taking over for kispert

jazzdelmar
12-18-2017, 03:12 AM
He reminds me of freshman year Silas. First time down the court jack a 3 clanker. But I love how Silas has matured. Suspect Zach will get there, but not quickly.

No comparison, Doc. Maybe that's the Melson we were hoping for; never have really seen that. Norvell is a programmatic one off for GU, much like Ammo, the Bonus and perhaps NWG.

zag67
12-18-2017, 10:44 AM
Yes, he shoots many 3s. Most of them are under control. Yes he misses some early, but when he gets hot he makes many. Also by shooting the 3s, his opponent, comes at him hard when he gets the ball, and this opens it up for him to drive. I think that his 2s are around 60 percent.

Mantua
12-18-2017, 11:40 AM
No comparison, Doc. Maybe that's the Melson we were hoping for; never have really seen that. Norvell is a programmatic one off for GU, much like Ammo, the Bonus and perhaps NWG.

Redshirt or not, this is ZNís first season of college basketball. When he was recruited and all last year, I could hardly wait to see him to play. Iím not disappointed.

zag67
12-18-2017, 11:46 AM
Mantua, I am with you. I also am not disappointed. He might shoot early in some sets, but most of them are when he is open with his body squared up.

Hoopaholic
12-18-2017, 12:04 PM

so then it is not a "one off"

jazzdelmar
12-18-2017, 12:06 PM
so then it is not a "one off"

Inartful use of the term, yes you’re quite right. Let’s call it “rare.”

TexasZagFan
12-18-2017, 02:38 PM
Mantua, I am with you. I also am not disappointed. He might shoot early in some sets, but most of them are when he is open with his body squared up.

As long as shots are taken within the flow of the game, I really don't care who takes them. What irks me is when there is an open shot, and the player passes up on it. Of course, the Zags are adept at making the extra pass, too. Syracuse-Georgetown was painful to watch, though both offenses were better in the second half. There were plenty of good shots that were passed up on by both teams...maybe their coaches like it that way, i.e. milk the clock, wear down the defense.

scrooner
12-18-2017, 03:53 PM
Considering our TO rate (we rank 197th in the country in maintaining possession), I'm okay with some early shots. Shoot it before you turn it over...

sittingon50
12-18-2017, 10:01 PM
Shoot it before you turn it over...

I like it scrooner! Had never quite thought of it that way before.

scrooner
12-19-2017, 07:51 AM
After last night we went from 197th in turnover rate to 264th. Ouch.

CDC84
12-20-2017, 11:32 PM
Doesn't the WCC name 10 to the first team? That doubles the odds IMO.

For which we are ridiculed throughout the country by just about every college basketball analyst I know.

sittingon50
12-20-2017, 11:36 PM
Everyone gets a participation ribbon.

CDC84
12-21-2017, 09:33 AM
Well right now Norvell is shooting just 33.8% from three and 48.1% overall (a guard like him should be around 52%). He's the 4th leading scorer on the team. Until his defense (and other elements) improves, I still see Kispert digging more and more into his minutes. The problem is that Corey just can't seem to get healthy. Corey right now is just a better all around player than Norvell, and I think GU needs that more than a scorer. The team is allowing teams to shoot a dreadful 42% from the field and 38% from three. That's not a team that is going to last long in March. The Zags have been awful at times on defense this season. Few has got to get the D turned around or I could see GU losing to a couple of non-BYU/SMC teams. They could lose to SDSU as well.

On a semi-related note.....Some people complained about Adam Morrison taking so many shots. But he shot 50% from the field and 43% from three his junior year despite often being triple teamed. A guy with those percentages can shoot all he wants as far as I'm concerned.

thespywhozaggedme
12-21-2017, 08:22 PM
After tonight, I say yes. The guy is a cold blooded scorer.