PDA

View Full Version : Some UAA stuff ...

Akzag
10-25-2007, 04:19 PM
I'm on the automatic updates list for UAA Basketball / Shootout releases so I might as well share some stuff. Plus, I was just really really bored.

First a general question ... why do the GNAC (Great Northwest) releases come out of Spokane? The nearest member school as far as I see is Central Washington, although I admit that I don't know where Northwest Nazarene is located ....

Anyway, the article (bolded emphasis added) ...

Seawolf men picked to win in GNAC preseason poll
Courtesy: UAA Sports Information
Release: 10/25/2007

SPOKANE, Wash. - For the first time in the 7-year history of the Great Northwest Athletic Conference, the Alaska Anchorage men have been picked as the preseason favorite in the league's annual coaches' poll, released Thursday.

The Seawolves received seven of 10 first-place votes and outdistanced defending co-champions Seattle Pacific and Seattle University with 104 overall points.

UAA, which finished in a third-place tie and just one game out of first place in 2006-07, is coming off a 19-9 overall and 10-6 GNAC record.

Led by fourth-year head coach Rusty Osborne and senior All-America candidates Carl Arts at forward and Luke Cooper at point guard, the Seawolves are aiming for the program's first outright league title since winning the Pacific West Conference in 1996-97.

Cooper is one of only two returning first team all-stars and Arts is one of only two returning second team all-star selections in the GNAC. Cooper, who will be gunning for his fourth consecutive conference assist title, averaged 7.3 points, 8.2 assists (No. 2 nationally) and 1.5 steals in 2006-07 and needs just 31 more assists to became the GNAC's all-time leader. He also ranked sixth in the GNAC in steals in addition to winning the assist title.

Arts is the GNAC's second-highest returning scorer (15.5) and rebounder (6.9) from last season when he ranked eighth and fifth in the conference, respectively. He also finished eighth in field goal percentage (54.6) and sixth in free throw percentage (88.7).

The Seawolves have also received recognition in two preseason publications, getting ranked No. 10 nationally by The Sporting News and No. 13 by Division II Bulletin.

2007-08 Great Northwest Athletic Conference
Men's Basketball Preseason Coaches' Poll
Rk Team (1st place votes) 06-07 Records Pts
1. Alaska Anchorage (7) 19-9, 10-6 104
2. Seattle Pacific (1) 18-10, 11-5 87
3. Seattle (2) 20-9, 11-5 84
4. Western Washington 11-15, 5-11 62
Central Washington 15-12, 10-6 62
6. Saint Martin's 10-17, 7-9 52
7. Northwest Nazarene 10-17, 5-11 40
8. Western Oregon 10-17, 5-11 35
9. Montana State Billings 6-21, 4-8* 18
10. Alaska Fairbanks 17-13, 8-8 16
(Points awarded on 11-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 basis)
*First-year GNAC member; record was in Heartland Conf

1) I know preseason top 20 Div II doesn't measure up at all in the larger scheme of things, but just reiterates that they play well as a team and have the ability to sneak up on you if a team sleeps on them.

2) Cooper is just fun to watch. 8.2 assists per? To paraphrase Crash Davis, that's career year in any league. At under-6 foot, any future playing will probably be back home in Australia.

3) Lost in all the Seattle U. jumping to Div. I, is a sad farewell to a longtime (well, a decade or two) rival for the Seawolves. In a former conference alignment and name, Seattle and UAA's conference included the two Alaska teams to the north, Chaminade and Hawaii-Hilo to the southwest, Grand Canyon to the southeast, and Eastern Montana (now Montana-Billings, which it looks like they came to their senses and rejoined forces with us ;) )to the northeast. That is one freakin' big conference, geographically speaking.

Okay ... that is all.

heavyzag
10-27-2007, 02:49 PM
I believe Nortwest is in Kirkland Wa

mtzaga
10-27-2007, 03:24 PM
I believe Nortwest is in Kirkland Wa

Try Nampa, Idaho.