PDA

View Full Version : Post game radio GU-UND

Section 116
12-16-2017, 07:09 PM
Random recall from my post game drive home. Morrison-Hats off to UND. 4 UND starters combined for 80 points. UND shoots nearly 52%, only the second team in the last 66 games I believe it is over the 50% mark, the other Villanova. GU 22 second chance points, UND none. UND came into the game shooting 26% from three, but hit 39% tonight and some of them were clutch. Donnie Daniels said the only good thing the Zags did tonight was rebound. Morrison said he thought Perkins might have played his best game ever as a Zag, after going 1-4 in the first half, he was 7-12 in the second with 7 assists, 5 steals and only 2 TO's. Daniels said having finals is no excuse for the way GU played tonight. He said every team in the country has finals and he isn't buying finals week. He noted Norvell might just as well miss his first 4 or 5 shots every night and get it over with. Daniels said it seems once he misses those shots he seems go to into a zone as he finished up making 6 of his final 7 or 8. Daniels had compliments for Jeremy Jones who hit two big free throws for his only two points of the night and that moved the Zags from 5 down to three at that point which was important. Daniels also noted Jones was great defensively on the press as he moved quickly form one side of the court to the other. There were several big swings in the game notably when GU went on an 11-0 run to take the lead but to UND's credit they did not fold as they immediately went on a 9-0 run of their own. Daniels noted UND is a well coached team and they followed their defensive and offensive games plans to a "T" and really made it tough on GU. Hudson and Morrison both noted as always all these team are comprised of Division 1 athletes and sometimes people tend to forget. There is a lot of basketball talent around the world, as well as the USA these days and all teams have good athletes who can do exactly what UND did tonight.

J3-The fought hard tonight, I think they might win their league, they move the ball great. Perkins and Silas really stepped up. Our press was probably the difference. We stayed with the press, and stayed positive and the fan base really gave us a big jump toward the end. No extra pressure playing a lesser team, we are just out there trying to play our game and win. The first half was really sluggish, slow, to tentative.

A personal observation. As it is every year, the Kennel was like a morgue minus the students, band and cheerleaders. The first half was dreadful from a fan and a GU standpoint. However when the Zags finally made a run in the second half the fans really got into it and as J3 noted the fans were a huge help. Kudos to the fans who had to generate their own noise. That'll do it for tonight.

gonzagafan62
12-16-2017, 07:16 PM
Wait the fans were a huge help when they got into it? Who knew! (Tongue in cheek!)

Anyway, thanks for posting this as always. Yet another great read. I read them all the time yet rarely comment. Great work to get this after every game.

You da MVP

Zags11
12-16-2017, 07:27 PM
Wait the fans were a huge help when they got into it? Who knew! (Tongue in cheek!)

Anyway, thanks for posting this as always. Yet another great read. I read them all the time yet rarely comment. Great work to get this after every game.

You da MVP

;)

whatazag
12-16-2017, 07:31 PM
Thanks 116. Glad Donny and the staff see JJ's contributions. Never going to fill up the stat sheet but makes a difference.

Mantua
12-16-2017, 07:45 PM
Who is the KGA guy who follows the Hudson wrap up? He doesn’t seem well informed.

MontanaCoyote
12-16-2017, 07:46 PM

You da MVPYes! Always look forward to this thread. Thanks for. Doing it. Great short term memory, too.

I am beginning to think that every time the Zag's go on a run like tonight Mark ought to call a time out and tell the kids not to give it away.
T

SWZag
12-16-2017, 08:56 PM
Random recall from my post game drive home. Morrison-Hats off to UND. 4 UND starters combined for 80 points. UND shoots nearly 52%, only the second team in the last 66 games I believe it is over the 50% mark, the other Villanova. GU 22 second chance points, UND none. UND came into the game shooting 26% from three, but hit 39% tonight and some of them were clutch. Donnie Daniels said the only good thing the Zags did tonight was rebound. Morrison said he thought Perkins might have played his best game ever as a Zag, after going 1-4 in the first half, he was 7-12 in the second with 7 assists, 5 steals and only 2 TO's. Daniels said having finals is no excuse for the way GU played tonight. He said every team in the country has finals and he isn't buying finals week. He noted Norvell might just as well miss his first 4 or 5 shots every night and get it over with. Daniels said it seems once he misses those shots he seems go to into a zone as he finished up making 6 of his final 7 or 8. Daniels had compliments for Jeremy Jones who hit two big free throws for his only two points of the night and that moved the Zags from 5 down to three at that point which was important. Daniels also noted Jones was great defensively on the press as he moved quickly form one side of the court to the other. There were several big swings in the game notably when GU went on an 11-0 run to take the lead but to UND's credit they did not fold as they immediately went on a 9-0 run of their own. Daniels noted UND is a well coached team and they followed their defensive and offensive games plans to a "T" and really made it tough on GU. Hudson and Morrison both noted as always all these team are comprised of Division 1 athletes and sometimes people tend to forget. There is a lot of basketball talent around the world, as well as the USA these days and all teams have good athletes who can do exactly what UND did tonight.

J3-The fought hard tonight, I think they might win their league, they move the ball great. Perkins and Silas really stepped up. Our press was probably the difference. We stayed with the press, and stayed positive and the fan base really gave us a big jump toward the end. No extra pressure playing a lesser team, we are just out there trying to play our game and win. The first half was really sluggish, slow, to tentative.

A personal observation. As it is every year, the Kennel was like a morgue minus the students, band and cheerleaders. The first half was dreadful from a fan and a GU standpoint. However when the Zags finally made a run in the second half the fans really got into it and as J3 noted the fans were a huge help. Kudos to the fans who had to generate their own noise. That'll do it for tonight.

Thanks 116!

Murphy outgo lifer
12-17-2017, 01:38 AM
Morrison said he thought Perkins might have played his best game ever as a Zag, after going 1-4 in the first half, he was 7-12 in the second with 7 assists, 5 steals and only 2 TO's. Daniels said having finals is no excuse for the way GU played tonight.

I can't remember who said it last week (maybe Dickau or Few) but somebody said they thought the game against UW was Perkin's best game ever as a Zag as well. So he has been playing at a whole new level the last couple of games and I hope this is his new reality.

Against:

North Dakota: 20 Points, 7 Assists, 5 Seals, 2 TO's

Washington: 14 Points, 8 Assists, 4 Steals, 1 TO

He also had 6 boards apiece in the physical games of Villanova and Creighton.

The only things I hope for Perkins going forward is that he becomes really adept at maintaining the tempo GU wants to run and not let the other team dictate what we want to do and disrupt our pace. Also, I really hope he can learn to finish better around the rim because if the other teams are hawking him on the 3 point line he needs to be able to create some space by having the threat of driving and scoring. If he is shut-down on offense we are going to struggle so he needs to be multi-dimensional in his offensive game.

bballbeachbum
12-17-2017, 08:38 PM
thanks always 116 :cheers:

Zagger
12-18-2017, 03:02 AM
Thanks 116. I try to listen too after a game but one thang or tother makes me miss some. Glad you relate it to us all. Liked what was said about the fans. I was there and thought fan 'there-ness' was .... not there in the first half. In the 2nd half my recollection is that we got into it first on the defensive end trying to rattle UND. It had some effect so we got louder. Then it all grew from there - where it seemed as if the whole place was standing and making noise along with the Zags getting some traction. That was a lot of fun :) I've been to most home games this year and felt that the fans got into this game more than any other - and I mean the non-student fans as there were only about 10-20 students doing their thing just before game start.

I'm looking forward to tonight's game and hope we fans can bring it again ..... just not clear into overtime!