PDA

View Full Version : Biggest concern? End of game FTs

gonzagafan62
12-16-2017, 06:59 PM
So we've had multiple games where we could've ended the game either in regulation or first OT to end the game with free throws hat we just flat out missed. This is becoming concerning to me. We had the melson free throw vs Florida, JW3 tonight and we had opportunities to shut the door vs Texas which we finally pulled away in OT.

Usually we'd have multiple guys that could end it... whether it's Goss, Pangos, Bell, Ravio even dower that would end it. Gray could end it.

Is anyone else feeling concerned like me about the end of game free throws? Since this game loves irony watch us end a NCAA game with 10 consecutive makes by JW3 and melson to end the a tourney game

TexasZagFan
12-16-2017, 07:03 PM
JW3 is my only worry. The others are good at the line, though they'll miss from time to time (Silas against Florida, for example).

IMO, J3 is a liability at the end of the game, poor ball handler as well.

amaronizag
12-16-2017, 07:06 PM
J3 is our only free throw weak spot among the starters. Other than J3, I've got no worries about Melson, Perkins, Tillie, or Norvell. I'm happy to have any one of those guys on the line when it counts.

willandi
12-16-2017, 07:08 PM
Perkins 1-3 gives me pause.

gonzagafan62
12-16-2017, 07:08 PM
J3 is our only free throw weak spot among the starters. Other than J3, I've got no worries about Melson, Perkins, Tillie, or Norvell. I'm happy to have any one of those guys on the line when it counts.

Oh yes for sure. I'm not criticizing anyone. I love our team. Just want to improve in this area. Only reason I'm throwing melson in there a bit is because he's not made a lot of big shots at the end (please correct me if it wrong - my memory is somewhat fuzzy at times) and I know he missed one vs West Virginia in tourney last year that kept game as a 3 point game... which turned out best in the end

FuManShoes
12-16-2017, 07:26 PM
Biggest concern? 1a. Our lousy perimeter defense and 1b. lack of ball security. We let a team that had no outside shooting hit 39% from 3 and repeatedly gave looks to their gunner on botched switches. Not going deep in March with that weakness and the constant sloppiness.

MontanaCoyote
12-16-2017, 07:51 PM
Biggest concern? 1a. Our lousy perimeter defense and 1b. lack of ball security. We let a team that had no outside shooting hit 39% from 3 and repeatedly gave looks to their gunner on botched switches. Not going deep in March with that weakness and the constant sloppiness.

How come so different 1a and 1b than last year?

MileHigh
12-16-2017, 08:57 PM
Few calling a time out right in the middle of JW3's free throws with 15 secs left was a head scratcher. He effectively was "icing" his own shooter.

Zagceo
12-16-2017, 09:51 PM
Few calling a time out right in the middle of JW3's free throws with 15 secs left was a head scratcher. He effectively was "icing" his own shooter.

and for what exactly.......tell’em play straight up defense don’t foul...I’m guessing Few didn’t even think about the possibility of it “icing” Williams....end game management lacks focus IMO

jazzdelmar
12-17-2017, 01:25 AM
and for what exactly.......tell’em play straight up defense don’t foul...I’m guessing Few didn’t even think about the possibility of it “icing” Williams....end game management lacks focus IMO

Ya think?

bartruff1
12-17-2017, 05:29 AM
The team is shooting about 74% with Rui and Silas at 90%....they are excellent except for JW3 and he isn't so bad at 60%....anyone can miss a free throw but I like their odds.....a lot..

jazzdelmar
12-17-2017, 05:54 AM
The team is shooting about 74% with Rui and Silas at 90%....they are excellent except for JW3 and he isn't so bad at 60%....anyone can miss a free throw but I like their odds.....a lot..

Yup, even 90% shooters.

Martin Centre Mad Man
12-17-2017, 06:09 AM

Yup. This isn’t a bad free throw shooting team. The high volume of unforced turnovers and the tendency to lose open shooters in the corner are more obvious vulnerabilities. Any decent coaching staff will seek to take advantage of both weaknesses.

Zagricultural
12-17-2017, 06:54 AM
Kispert. We're simply better with him starting IMO.

vandalzag
12-17-2017, 07:39 AM

Needed to set the defense so I am guessing played the odds of him hitting the 2nd FT. As for biggest weakness, end of game FT do not have to be a worry if you contain turnovers and play better defense.

MileHigh
12-17-2017, 11:51 AM
Kispert. We're simply better with him starting IMO.

Right now, as good as Kispert has been, Norvell is better. Norvell has been, arguably, one of the top 5 freshmen in the country over the last two weeks

MileHigh
12-17-2017, 12:04 PM
Needed to set the defense so I am guessing played the odds of him hitting the 2nd FT. As for biggest weakness, end of game FT do not have to be a worry if you contain turnovers and play better defense.

If you let him shoot that 2nd free throw in rhythm there is a great chance he makes it and you are up 4 and dont have to do anything special on defense.
Just seems to me that it was a terrible time to call a TO when all he seemed to do in the huddle was say "no open 3's" . Im pretty sure the Zags collective bball IQ is high enough to know that without calling a TO

vandalzag
12-18-2017, 06:03 AM
If you let him shoot that 2nd free throw in rhythm there is a great chance he makes it and you are up 4 and dont have to do anything special on defense.
Just seems to me that it was a terrible time to call a TO when all he seemed to do in the huddle was say "no open 3's" . Im pretty sure the Zags collective bball IQ is high enough to know that without calling a TO

Nothing about his FT shooting would put any confidence that rhythm would increase his chances. He is what he is from the line. As far as the bball IQ I think it was pretty apparent in this game that the coverage on the 3 point shots needed to be discussed.

Birddog
12-18-2017, 06:10 AM
Nothing about his FT shooting would put any confidence that rhythm would increase his chances. He is what he is from the line. As far as the bball IQ I think it was pretty apparent in this game that the coverage on the 3 point shots needed to be discussed.

I would add, can you imagine the howling if he had not called a TO. I think it was important to make sure everybody was on the same page esp. in light of the fact that for much of the game they did not appear to be.

gonzagafan62
12-18-2017, 06:34 AM
Just playing devils advocate here, what if JW3 makes it (which I get is unlikely) but let him shoot it and call TO after he makes it? Then you just tell your team not to foul. If he misses you're in a bunch of trouble though...

Zagricultural
12-18-2017, 09:40 AM
Right now, as good as Kispert has been, Norvell is better. Norvell has been, arguably, one of the top 5 freshmen in the country over the last two weeks

Norvell takes way more shots than Kispert, but hits at a much lower percentage. Look, I love Norvell. He's going to be a super-star scorer, and I love how he hunts his shot. However, I stand by my assertion that we're better starting Kispert. Bring Norvell in as the first off the bench. How much do you thing Kispert would score with the same amount of shots Norvell is taking?

jazzdelmar
12-18-2017, 09:54 AM
[QUOTE=Zagricultural;1346421]Norvell takes way more shots than Kispert, but hits at a much lower percentage. Look, I love Norvell. He's going to be a super-star scorer, and I love how he hunts his shot. However, I stand by my assertion that we're better starting Kispert. Bring Norvell in as the first off the bench. How much do you thing Kispert would score with the same amount of shots Norvell is taking?[/QUOTE

I certainly have not seen anything yet that would lead me to believe Kispert would score as many. Norvell is a BASKETBALL PLAYER. Hes far and away the most exciting player on the team. The kind of player the power 5 teams have more than one of.

bballbeachbum
12-18-2017, 10:36 AM
right now, would say biggest concern is rim protection or lack thereof, but tons of good teams have to deal with it, we're just not used to it, been a while. thought ND exploited it well, spread us out and attacked, not just with finishing but in forcing the Zags to collapse off penetration to help, leaving open shooters, etc.

bartruff1
12-18-2017, 07:29 PM
Sigh.....J3....misses a few....the others....I am not worried...

GonzaGAW
12-18-2017, 08:05 PM
- as of now if you remove jw3 from the mix and the team is shooting 81% from the line, that probably puts a team it the top 10 in the nation.
- we have multiple players in mid 80% and above

- so to the issue at hand, in close end of game situations what to do with jw3? when possible sub jw3 in and out, offense vs. defense. the other option is team mates need to know who the best f.t. shooters are on the floor and simply avoid (whenever another option is available) passing the ball to jw3. this is not rocket science, every team has been coached on this point, let the team execute what they have been coached.

MontanaCoyote
12-18-2017, 08:07 PM
right now, would say biggest concern is rim protection or lack thereof, but tons of good teams have to deal with it, we're just not used to it, been a while. thought ND exploited it well, spread us out and attacked, not just with finishing but in forcing the Zags to collapse off penetration to help, leaving open shooters, etc.

Exactly! After IUPUI this still holds, especially penetration and rim protection. I didn't track how many points came off drives and other shots in the paint but waaaay too many. Can get away with that with ND and IUPUI but on down the line I think it spells big trouble. Just no Mountain in the Middle this year so I haven't got a clue about what can be done about it.

I worry a lot more about this, the open 3 pointers coming off penetration and turnovers than free throws. SMC leads the nation at 9.2 turnovers a game. We can run that many up in a half.

Just have the feeling that when it's all said and done, and if there aren't big improvements,
it'll be penetration, 3 pointers off penetration and turnovers that account for the end of the season that comes too soon.