PDA

View Full Version : Injury Update & Scrimmage Info

Radbooks
10-25-2007, 04:17 PM
Some highlights from the S-R Sportslink Website:

Forward Josh Heytvelt (foot) remains sidelined and wing Larry Gurganious (knee) won't participate when Gonzaga holds its Kraziness in the Kennel scrimmage Friday at 7 at the McCarthey Athletic Center.

Heytvelt, who has a stress reaction in his right foot, has made little or no progress over the last week, coach Mark Few said. Gurganious hurt his knee in a scrimmage Saturday, but it doesn't appear to be too serious. He doesn't need surgery and he might miss as little as a week, Few said.

David Pendergraft, who had two offseason knee surgeries, will play in the scrimmage, Few said.

About the freshmen:

Few has been impressed with GU's three freshmen (Austin Daye, Robert Sacre and Steven Gray). "I think they're going to be really good players, but again, they're young," he said. "The impact they'll have this year might be somewhat limited. They've really shown great qualities as far as how hard they work."

Of the highly touted Daye, Few said, "he still has a lot of growth to do. Right now the game is kind of fast for him."

Rest of the article can be found here (http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/sportslink/archive/?postID=6270#more)

FuManShoes
10-25-2007, 04:42 PM
This reports sucks! What's going on with the injury bug? I don't necessarily want to read another thread full of armchair diagnoses and treatment regimens, but it's a bit worrying that Josh's foot isn't getting better. Every day of conditioning and practice he misses puts him that much further behind. And now we hear that LG - the defensive stopper - has hurt his knee. Ah, but at least he won't need surgery. Great ....

I guess if there is a positive note it's that the guy who did need surgery, Pendo, is good to go.

BobZag
10-25-2007, 04:54 PM
Josh's foot sounds exactly like two years ago when his stress reaction didn't heal until Maui. It was an extremely slow process then, and it's looking the same way now. We may not see Josh until Alaska, where he'll be rusty, out of shape, out of sync and behind the curve. This will hurt his chances at the NBA next year, imo.

It's a great opportunity for Sacre, Theo, Daye, Ira! and others.

LG hyperextended a knee but it's minor.

HOOTER
10-25-2007, 05:07 PM
We may not see Josh until Alaska, where he'll be rusty, out of shape, out of sync and behind the curve. This will hurt his chances at the NBA next year, imo.

I guess you could say that would be a good thing. I wouldn't mind seeing him stick around for his senior year. At the same time I am really hoping he has a solid season, and if that means losing him one year early, so be it.

Nevtelen
10-25-2007, 06:51 PM
That could spell more early losses than perhaps expected for this team. Not good. On the other hand, it could also mean that there is an even bigger jump in quality in league play and after, which would be fine by me...

Please everyone cross your fingers that Kraziness in the Kennel won't be packed tomorrow - I took a day off and am driving over to Spokane to see it. My wife and I should hit town around 6-ish and are hoping we're not greeted by a full house...

SteeleMan
10-25-2007, 07:01 PM
someone might step up and save Nevtelen a couple seats?

HOOTER
10-25-2007, 07:23 PM
Please everyone cross your fingers that Kraziness in the Kennel won't be packed tomorrow - I took a day off and am driving over to Spokane to see it. My wife and I should hit town around 6-ish and are hoping we're not greeted by a full house...

I was planning to arrive around four and I thought that might be pushing it. I think the doors open at six. I'll be praying to the basketball god's for you.

OZZag
10-25-2007, 07:35 PM
I was planning to arrive around four and I thought that might be pushing it. I think the doors open at six. I'll be praying to the basketball god's for you.

I'm not able to make it as much as I would love to....

Am expecting plenty of reports on the event and each player! I would really appreciate it if someone could let me know how Theo and Rob seem to be fitting in.

HOOTER
10-25-2007, 07:35 PM
someone might step up and save Nevtelen a couple seats?

Would that be kosher? If so than I would at least try.

zagster318
10-25-2007, 07:59 PM
That could spell more early losses than perhaps expected for this team.

If Josh comes back by the time they fly to Alaska, we should be alright. Heytvelt or no Heytvelt, the Zags should beat Montana, Idaho and UC Riverside.

Nevtelen
10-25-2007, 08:10 PM
If Josh comes back by the time they fly to Alaska, we should be alright. Heytvelt or no Heytvelt, the Zags should beat Montana, Idaho and UC Riverside.

Yeah, but a less than full-strength, still-rusty Heytvelt might be a problem in a game with Butler or even Texas Tech. Despite all the talent and potential, I really don't think we have any other solid, reliable post presence.

Hooter - check your in-box.

roxdoc
10-25-2007, 08:48 PM
I'm going to be holding my breath during the dunk contest!