PDA

View Full Version : Say Goodbye to the Commish...

bigblahla
12-16-2017, 04:50 AM
The WCC's invisible commissioner is leaving, Lynn Holzman has been named NCAA Vice President for Women's Basketball and will assume her new post Feb. 1.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out....can't wait for the introduction of the next ineffective out of touch administrator who gets the job and then disappears into the position. How about thinking out of the box. Hire someone who understands marketing and let them hire an assistant to keep up with NCAA regulations. The WCC as an entity is a product and there are many ways to help fill the coffers besides sucking on the hind teat of GU basketball.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

Bogozags
12-16-2017, 05:17 AM
The WCC's invisible commissioner is leaving, Lynn Holzman has been named NCAA Vice President for Women's Basketball and will assume her new post Feb. 1.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out....can't wait for the introduction of the next ineffective out of touch administrator who gets the job and then disappears into the position. How about thinking out of the box. Hire someone who understands marketing and let them hire an assistant to keep up with NCAA regulations. The WCC as an entity is a product and there are many ways to help fill the coffers besides sucking on the hind teat of GU basketball.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

Not sure why you feel that way, she was instrumental in getting the schedule back to what it was two years ago! Maybe we should offer her more money...lol I hope she does a better job with the women than she accomplished with WCC marketing...

TexasZagFan
12-16-2017, 05:28 AM

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

Maybe I'll apply for the job...my platform would be allocating (a small portion of) NCAA basketball monies to a WCC scouting service. For example, lease a car and a couple of rooms in high density population areas, such as DFW airport. Make regular trips to the area to get the WCC promoted, conference schools could plan their recruiting trips around that.

Other potential areas include Houston, Austin/San Antonio, Phoenix, and Denver.

For the next several years, the estimated share to each school is over $500K per year. There's plenty of money available for such a project.

TexasZagFan
12-16-2017, 06:32 AM
In her 3 years on the job, what were her accomplishments?

ZagsObserver
12-16-2017, 06:39 AM
Good riddance. She did nothing sitting in that seat. She came as someone who worked in compliance. No effort into making the conference more visible or situated to do anything creative.

DixieZag
12-16-2017, 06:41 AM
In her 3 years on the job, what were her accomplishments?

Gonzaga is still in the conference (not due to anything she did).
The conference is solvent - that we know of.
Pacific (who no one knows is in the WCC) only major sanctions, SMC pre-dated her.
TV deal still pretty good all things considered (again, nothing bc of her)
WCC not in the news (probably seen as advantage by the priests that own the schools, over programs playing at the edge.

Other than reign in the schedule so as not to be unbalanced road-away, I can't think of anything different. Maybe all they wanted was a caretaker given the environment.

Without a solid commitment from the schools, I doubt the WCC commissioner has the power to do much to increase the competitiveness of the schools.

TexasZagFan
12-16-2017, 06:51 AM
At least two dozen of us that post here regularly would raise the profile of the WCC, at least to the Mississippi River. We all know coaches, ADs, administrators, that could put a good word in for us, gain us entry into more circles of influence.

The WCC should be a magnet for good, coachable student-athletes: excellent academic institutions, beautiful campuses, etc. I simply don't get it.

RenoZag
12-16-2017, 06:52 AM
NCAA Press Release: http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-women/article/2017-12-14/lynn-holzman-returns-ncaa-vp-womens-basketball

WCC job was just another notch on her resume. . .

bigblahla
12-16-2017, 07:10 AM
Without a solid commitment from the schools, I doubt the WCC commissioner has the power to do much to increase the competitiveness of the schools.

Dixie, IMO That's hitting the nail on the head....so much can be done at each school and the commissioner must be the lead dog pulling the sled. If the presidents see it is in their schools best interest they will be open to change, if not then status quo....just like round ball, you have to have someone capable of running the point.

Go!! Zags!!!

bartruff1
12-16-2017, 07:17 AM
NCAA Press Release: http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-women/article/2017-12-14/lynn-holzman-returns-ncaa-vp-womens-basketball

Very impressive resume .....sounds like a very experienced and skilled administrator....not a easy job...thanks and good luck in your new job....

TexasZagFan
12-16-2017, 07:29 AM

The article was noticeably silent as to her achievements as WCC Commissioner. She's heading back home, to the swamp.

Who hired her in the first place? Whoever it was, they should not be allowed to decide the next commissioner. IMO, WCC is at a crossroads. Basketball, i.e. men's basketball is the engine driving the train for all other sports, most are non-revenue generating. To survive, the conference must become a multiple bid conference.

Pardon my bias, but the other nine schools in the conference are doing their best to push the Zags away. Crazy, considering the Zags are the only currently desirable product with the TV networks?

I remember what it was like living in El Paso...nobody outside of West Texas gives a bleep about El Paso. Same way with St. Mary's: nobody outside of Moraga gives a bleep about St. Mary's...decent program, good coach, but in the end, nothing special.

First job of new commissioner is to END the speculation regarding Gonzaga's departure from the WCC. Second would be to focus on improving the quality from top to bottom of men's basketball. You do that by expanding the footprint of the WCC, make inroads east of Idaho/Nevada. You bring in kids like Jett Raines, a local boy who played at Pepperdine for four years. By his senior year, he was honorable mention all-WCC. The ultimate goal is to have 10 schools in the top third of NCAA rankings, versus half of the league below 180. That's how you get multiple bids into the Dance.

The new commish needs to be persuasive, showing how it's in the other schools' interest to improve their programs. Part of that would be resources plowed into marketing and recruiting, getting out shaking hands.

TexasZagFan
12-16-2017, 07:32 AM
Dixie, IMO That's hitting the nail on the head....so much can be done at each school and the commissioner must be the lead dog pulling the sled. If the presidents see it is in their schools best interest they will be open to change, if not then status quo....just like round ball, you have to have someone capable of running the point.

Go!! Zags!!!

What you describe is "leadership"...can't demonstrate that by sitting behind a desk. Compliance work can be handled by competent staff people.

bartruff1
12-16-2017, 07:37 AM
I doubt the Presidents and Regents in the WCC are interested investing the millions that it would take to build a top 25 program... it is what it is because that is what they judge to be appropriate for their institutions...

And they will hire someone that understands that....someone that makes the trains run on time as much as possible ...

TexasZagFan
12-16-2017, 08:00 AM
I doubt the Presidents and Regents in the WCC are interested investing the millions that it would take to build a top 25 program... it is what it is because that is what they judge to be appropriate for their institutions...

And they will hire someone that understands that....someone that makes the trains run on time as much as possible ...

IMO that would be short sighted, because if you run off the Zags, you have nothing left.

No one's suggesting aspirations for a top-25 program, more like top-150. If the WCC had ten schools ranked 150 or better, you'd have a competitive conference. It's currently Zags, SMC, BYU and the 7 dwarves.

There's such a lack of competition in the WCC, there are no rivalries, except that one game of the year when the Zags play each opponent on the road.

bartruff1
12-16-2017, 08:31 AM
Any commissioner...... only has the authority that the principles are willing to give him.....the commissioner can not go to LMU and tell them to improve their program or else...or else what....they will tell him to pound sand....

I suspect the WCC would be happy to be a bus league and hold the Conference Tournament on campus....For 20 years Roth has been trying to change the distribution of NCAA tourney money...... without success...he will tell you....Gonzaga only has one vote...

bigblahla
12-16-2017, 08:55 AM
I doubt the Presidents and Regents in the WCC are interested investing the millions that it would take to build a top 25 program... it is what it is because that is what they judge to be appropriate for their institutions...And they will hire someone that understands that....someone that makes the trains run on time as much as possible ...

Sadly bart, you are probably right.....but they don't have to invest millions they have to create interest at the grass root level, they obviously don't have the leadership to do so . There is nothing hard about this it's just piss poor marketing at the school level with no compass to guide them. The same can be said at the conference level, if it wasn't for Gonzaga who would know what the WCC is. Brand awareness is everything and it doesn't have to be just for sports, however, sports can be the impetus for change.

An increase in enrollment is an increase in revenue across the board...for the schools and the economics of their locale.

The only position I see with the ability to promote conference wide awareness and change in such a manner that benefits all members is the WCC commissioner.

I don't know much about Pat Kilkenny, but someone of his mental ilk and drive would fit the bill. The position probably pays squat which limits the talent pool. They should think of a revenue sharing compensation package, take the gloves off and get a real marketer. Seriously the WCC should have billboards in every state promoting a different school in each state every month, all members are being promoted across the nation all the time, so much more can be done with some imagination.

We have nothing to show that Holzman had one, The Z-Man and his mentor Tiger Ted gave us Pacific. Does Pacific need help? Have they helped the WCC?

There are no easy answers or quick fixes but the same ol same ol is going to be the same ol same ol.....and that sucks...

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

TexasZagFan
12-16-2017, 09:04 AM
Sadly bart, you are probably right.....but they don't have to invest millions they have to create interest at the grass root level, they obviously don't have the leadership to do so . There is nothing hard about this it's just piss poor marketing at the school level with no compass to guide them. The same can be said at the conference level, if it wasn't for Gonzaga who would know what the WCC is. Brand awareness is everything and it doesn't have to be just for sports, however, sports can be the impetus for change.

An increase in enrollment is an increase in revenue across the board...for the schools and the economics of their locale.

The only position I see with the ability to promote conference wide awareness and change in such a manner that benefits all members is the WCC commissioner.

I don't know much about Pat Kilkenny, but someone of his mental ilk and drive would fit the bill. The position probably pays squat which limits the talent pool. They should think of a revenue sharing compensation package, take the gloves off and get a real marketer. Seriously the WCC should have billboards in every state promoting a different school in each state every month, all members are being promoted across the nation all the time, so much more can be done with some imagination.

We have nothing to show that Holzman had one, The Z-Man and his mentor Tiger Ted gave us Pacific. Does Pacific need help? Have they helped the WCC?

There are no easy answers or quick fixes but the same ol same ol is going to be the same ol same ol.....and that sucks...

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

bigblahla, we pretty much agree on what the next commissioner should do.

In addition to billboards, there should be a WCC representative at as many "College Nights" as possible. As an incentive, waive the application fee for any student who applies. That could provide a metric as to additional interest created.

This isn't rocket science.

MDABE80
12-16-2017, 10:50 AM
What you describe is "leadership"...can't demonstrate that by sitting behind a desk. Compliance work can be handled by competent staff people.
The staff people likely were doing her job!
Sorta like most Administrators ... she had lots of meetings and lots of
coffee.

Ezag
12-16-2017, 10:51 AM
Awesome job Lynn. The WCC is just as ####ty as it was before you took the job.

sittingon50
12-16-2017, 12:02 PM
Not sure why you feel that way, she was instrumental in getting the schedule back to what it was two years ago! ...

Not understanding this at all, Bogo. The (league) schedule is messed up, IMO.

willandi
12-16-2017, 12:06 PM
Not understanding this at all, Bogo. The (league) schedule is messed up, IMO.

Yes. The conference schedule should be 2 games on Thursday and Sat with road partners switching. It should not be a road game and a home game the same week. ..and if they can jettison a bottom feeding team, they could play OOC on the weeks that they play their own road partner.

GoZags
12-16-2017, 12:15 PM
Awesome job Lynn. The WCC is just as ####ty as it was before you took the job.

That's more to do with a handful of dwarfs than it is with the soon to be "former" Commish. IF the Commissioner (and the "big" 3/4) had gotten their way, things like an unbalanced conference schedule "could" have happened, resulting in more OCC options (including "late" season OOC games). But the "have nots" have an equal footing with the "haves" ... and there are more of them.

Believe me when I say this .... Lynn leaving is NOT a positive (in any way, shape or form) for Gonzaga.

At all.

TexasZagFan
12-16-2017, 02:58 PM
That's more to do with a handful of dwarfs than it is with the soon to be "former" Commish. IF the Commissioner (and the "big" 3/4) had gotten their way, things like an unbalanced conference schedule "could" have happened, resulting in more OCC options (including "late" season OOC games). But the "have nots" have an equal footing with the "haves" ... and there are more of them.

Believe me when I say this .... Lynn leaving is NOT a positive (in any way, shape or form) for Gonzaga.

At all.

IOW, we shouldn't expect anything better. Just another step to pushing the Zags out the door. It's coming.