PDA

View Full Version : What are Odds We Get Out West?

zagsfanforlife
12-14-2017, 11:01 AM
What do you guys think the odds are that we get a seed out West for this upcoming tournament? With Christmas coming around I would love to get my dad tickets to the Sweet 16 and Elite 8 at the Staples Center as we are both LA Zags Fans.

If we win out in the WCC, do we get a top 3 seed? What would you say percentages are that we get out West?

cbbfanatic
12-14-2017, 11:07 AM
win out percentages?

100%

seems like if you're any good in the west, it's pretty easy to stay out west. a 2 loss GU team will absolutely be in the west, probably even a 1 seed (yeah, i said it), barring zona nearly running the table as well

BayAreaZagFan
12-14-2017, 11:42 AM
I'm crossing my fingers. After I bought tickets to the AZ game at Staples last year, I was on a mailing list for pre-sale tickets to this year's Sweet Sixteen, so I bought a couple. They're decent seats, but if the Zags don't end up there, I'll have to try to sell them and with my luck with these things, it will be at a loss. I guess I'm already assuming they'll be playing that weekend, but I'm just hoping they stay out west, regardless of their record.

FlyZag
12-14-2017, 12:17 PM
I see us as a 4 seed in the West bracket. Unfortunately, my crystal ball sees two more losses for the Zags before selection Sunday.

Zags11
12-14-2017, 12:31 PM
If undefeated or one more loss? West.

TexasZagFan
12-14-2017, 01:02 PM
I see us as a 4 seed in the West bracket. Unfortunately, my crystal ball sees two more losses for the Zags before selection Sunday.

Ask Santa for a new crystal ball for Christmas. Mine says "all systems go" after San Diego St.

MontanaCoyote
12-15-2017, 06:56 AM
Ask Santa for a new crystal ball for Christmas. Mine says "all systems go" after San Diego St.

On paper (KenPom) SDU shouldn't be a problem, but playing at their place must be a real challenge anyway. Just need the
right super competitive team oriented mindset going in, play up to the KenPom differential and we should/will be OK.

Kiddwell
12-15-2017, 08:47 AM
Unless there are injury issues (God forbid), or the Zags utterly melt down from here to the Big Dance, we oughta go the rest of the regular season undefeated. BYU lost two really important starters (one early to pros, one to controversy/dropping out), so they aren't a problem. SMC seems to really miss Rahon and Pineau. If we're 28-2 (or whatever the total is) at regular season's end, we're Top-10 and a 3 Seed out West.

Kind of worry about SMC even making the tourney. If they run the rest of their schedule (except GU thrice), they've a fair chance. Hoping on the basis of a lotta wins and last year's strong showing against VCU and Arizona that the Gaels will be in.

:]

Markburn1
12-15-2017, 09:47 AM
Unless there are injury issues (God forbid), or the Zags utterly melt down from here to the Big Dance, we oughta go the rest of the regular season undefeated. BYU lost two really important starters (one early to pros, one to controversy/dropping out), so they aren't a problem. SMC seems to really miss Rahon and Pineau. If we're 28-2 (or whatever the total is) at regular season's end, we're Top-10 and a 3 Seed out West.

Kind of worry about SMC even making the tourney. If they run the rest of their schedule (except GU thrice), they've a fair chance. Hoping on the basis of a lotta wins and last year's strong showing against VCU and Arizona that the Gaels will be in.

:]

I'm of the opinion that even your optimistic estimate of SMC's chances is dicey. Assuming three losses to the Zags, that still leaves them with a gaudy record but it doesn't give them any wins that would be considered significant. I believe their only chance is to steal one from the Zags and otherwise run the table. Pretty narrow options.

amaronizag
12-15-2017, 11:13 AM
I love this Zag team and its potential to improve as the season progresses, but I also think St Mary's is a really tough out. As much as I would love to see GU beat them 3 times, I think that's going to be really, really hard. We're going to need a lot of improvement and minutes out of Larsen to make that happen, limited fouls on the rest of our 4 and 5 position players, improve our defense of the pick and roll, and hot shooting from the perimeter............ in all 3 meetings. Ya we can do it, but I'll be happy if we win 2 of the 3 games. And no losses to BYU or anyone not named St Mary's this year. I think we can make it through Vegas with only one more loss. A 2 seed in the dance works for me, but a 1 would be better, just for consistency sake.

krozman
12-15-2017, 12:32 PM
even with a win out I think the lack of quality wins and the RPI drag of the WCC will get us a 3 seed at best, but still west so not complaining.