• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BobZag
    Dark Lord of the Zag
    • Jan 2007

Jared Cunningham commits to ASU

Sendek is doing a whale of a job securing commitments on or soon after visits to the Tempe, AZ, campus. Jared was due to visit Tony Bennett and Mark Few but Sendek beat out both.

Dang, I like Jared, he's a good one. ASU will be making a huge jump in the Pac-10 very soon. I wish the Zags could have gotten him. Great kid and family.

Now, up to this point, there's Jeff Reid and Anthony Marshall on the Zags' list. I like both. We'll see others pop up on the radar, I'm sure. Great get by Herb Sendek, though. Darn.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."
  • JLGutrocks
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Rats.
    “Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.” ~Jack Handey~

Comment

• wazZag
      Professional Zag Fan
      • Feb 2007

ahh, that's no fun
      FOO!

Comment

• ZagAddict
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Wow...

Herb Sendek has been doing a fantastic job at ASU. They really found a gem when they hired him away from NC State. I've been hoping that GU would schedule a home and home with ASU. ASU is an up and coming team in the PAC 10 and they would love to have more exposure to the WA/OR area. The ASU v. UofA rivalry in basketball will be worth watching again...

Comment

• Rubbadub
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

I wouldn't exactly call ASU up and coming by any means. Not yet. They lost 15 games in a row last season and 18 of their last 20. I'm going to wait until they've played a few games to say they've turned the corner. The bright side is there isn't really anywhere to go but up. Sendek's recruiting and coaching abilities should greatly improve the quality of their team.
          sigpic Just Foo'in around.

Comment

• BobZag
            Dark Lord of the Zag
            • Jan 2007

I'd go all-out for Jeff Reid or Anthony Marshall now, if I'm Mark Few... But I'm not Mark Few, and the staff has a tried-and-true way of recruiting, so it'll be fine. Recruits are committing earlier and earlier nowadays, however, so it's much more "snooze you lose" than it was just two years ago.

Jeff Reid
            Anthony Marshall

Perhaps Tim Harris and some unknown guards move up. We'll see.

One curious item I noticed: Jared did not list Gonzaga in the commitment article. Hmmmmmmm. Interesting.
            The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• ZagAddict
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

I agree that the GU coaching staff will put the GU program in a good position in terms of bringing in recruits that are a good fit for Few's system... it takes special recruits and circumstances for GU to out-recruit the lights and glamour of playing in the PAC 10. GU will lose out more times than nought on recruits like Cunningham, but time after time the GU coaching staff has put together solid recruiting classes.

Comment

• spudzag
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Better Cummingham commits now so Few & Co can concentrate on those genuinely interested. Let's avoid the prolonged rebuffs.

Comment

• ZagAddict
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

This article in the Arizona Republic mentions Gonzaga in the commitment aricle. I still can't believe Sendek got a verbal out of him this early in the recruitment process.

Hope this link come through:

Comment

• ZagAddict
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

ASU had 1,000 people in attendance for their open practice/game in Tempe. In contrast GU had 5,000+ on hand for Kraziness In The Kennel. How did Sendek get Cunningham to commit so quickly. I am obviously biased, but GU seems to be the obvious choice if you love a basketball atmosphere.

Comment

• btzag
                      Bleeds GU Blue
                      • Feb 2007

Yes, pretty strange but Sendek could easily have sold him on being the main point guard in the future on an up and coming Pac-10 program. Not too hard to sell that... That being said Jared has quite a few losses to deal with in his career at ASU no matter the players Sendek is starting to bring in. It's also not a stretch to say that ASU might not make the NCAA tourney in his career as you've got UCLA, Zona, WSU, Oregon, Stanford, Cal, and even though I hate to say it UW, as much better established programs who have tons more talent. I can't understand how Sendek downplayed that part....

Comment

Working...
                      X