PDA

View Full Version : Coach Few, "We need a break, man"

raise the zag
12-13-2017, 02:38 PM
I feel he shares this sentiment every season around this transition/holiday/finals time.

Personally, I get it, but not a big fan of the annual "this team needs to rest" mantra. Which team doesn't? Some teams play nearly all road games, others have finals too, injuries as well. We almost always have a 'let down' game around this time due to finals, which is expected, but the team mindset is maybe "rest mode". Perhaps the Coaches need it more than the players?

I feel the WCC season is about resting up this year. We have it easier than many Top-25 teams from Jan-March, yet generally harder from Nov-Jan. Just part of being us -- top heavy scheduling. Besides January 18th, February in Moraga, and BYU in Spokane, we are on a consistent Thurs/Sat schedule after xmas...the bench can play more from now on, etc.

We just gotta get past SDSU in their raucous arena and student section, and we'll be on a roll.

ARTICLE LINK: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/dec/13/gonzagas-mark-few-we-need-a-break-man/ (http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/dec/13/gonzagas-mark-few-we-need-a-break-man/)

jazzdelmar
12-13-2017, 02:49 PM
Coachspeak. Exactly right. The WCC is so bad the team has plenty of opportunity to rest. Now finals, another story. But when the elders draw up the schedule they surely take those into account. Not all players are Goss and KO, superstars in the classroom. They dozed plenty vs Villanova.

thespywhozaggedme
12-13-2017, 03:47 PM
Half of our conference is a break. LOL it's like when the SEC plays Division I AA cupcake in the third week of November, it's like a second bye week for them.

Francis The Goat Brother
12-13-2017, 04:08 PM
Nah. It's not a break in the WCC. Not traveling to sold out gyms for only our games. Those are the ones we have to win. We have to be more focused or we could lose our tourney spot

Once and Future Zag
12-13-2017, 04:37 PM
Having a few consecutive days for the miscellaneous bruises, minor strains, etc to heal is crucial. Even a game against a terrible team interrupts the healing process.

SteelCityZag
12-14-2017, 07:22 AM
Nah. It's not a break in the WCC. Not traveling to sold out gyms for only our games. Those are the ones we have to win. We have to be more focused or we could lose our tourney spot

This. The WCC is a grind. Home games are a bit easier, but every player on every WCC team is a D1 athlete who will bring their "A Game" to take down the Zags. No one else in our league plays against tougher competition than we do. Just watch a Santa Clara vs. BYU game if you don't agree. It looks like they're playing a different sport.

TexasZagFan
12-14-2017, 07:33 AM
This. The WCC is a grind. Home games are a bit easier, but every player on every WCC team is a D1 athlete who will bring their "A Game" to take down the Zags. No one else in our league plays against tougher competition than we do. Just watch a Santa Clara vs. BYU game if you don't agree. It looks like they're playing a different sport.

I saw Pepperdine throttle BYU on TV last year, they had maybe 1000 in the seats, most of the fans were from local geriatric facilities. Not so when the Zags come to town. Seems like they all have special t-shirts to mark the occasion.