PDA

View Full Version : Who finishes 2nd in the WCC regular season this year? Rank 'em.

irishzag_09
12-13-2017, 09:30 AM
Okay Everyone: We are only a few games away from heading into WCC play....who is coming in 2nd behind the Zags?

MTZag03
12-13-2017, 09:34 AM
SMC, USD, BYU in order

ZagsObserver
12-13-2017, 09:41 AM
GU. (Gap) SMC. (Gap) BYU. USD.

jazzdelmar
12-13-2017, 09:48 AM
GU (Grand Canyon) SMC (Snoqualmie Pass) BYU (Interstate 5) Who cares?

TheGonzagaFactor
12-13-2017, 10:08 AM
San Diego looks like they are clearly the second best team, but they have no experience winning together over weeks and weeks, which almost always leads to losing games you shouldn't.

I think we have GU at 17-1, SMC at 15-3, USD at 13-5, BYU/USF at 12-6 or 11-7 and a big (~4 game) gap between 5th and 6th.

TheGonzagaFactor
12-13-2017, 10:11 AM

I think it's an interesting subject to ponder.

It's a step up from the thread suggesting replacing a talented senior with a redshirt freshman because of one bad game across the country against the best team in the nation. Baby steps.

MDABE80
12-13-2017, 10:56 AM
I think it's an interesting subject to ponder.

It's a step up from the thread suggesting replacing a talented senior with a redshirt freshman because of one bad game across the country against the best team in the nation. Baby steps.

Not seen the thread referenced........lol who might you be talking about?... Nobody remembers 2nd placers. Geeeeeez.
When there's a lapse in time between games, people think of the darnedest things.

zagdontzig
12-13-2017, 11:03 AM
I'm very excited about this little run USD put together. I'm very hopeful they can make something of it long term.

TexasZagFan
12-13-2017, 11:03 AM
Not seen the thread referenced........lol who might you be talking about?... Nobody remembers 2nd placers. Geeeeeez.
When there's a lapse in time between games, people think of the darnedest things.

The plaque for second place is down in the ladies room.

zaguarxj
12-13-2017, 11:51 AM
With all their resources and built-in recruiting base, it's surprising that BYU isn't more competitive in the WCC. Is Rose on the hot seat at all?

p.s. I picked SMC. Boring pick, I know. But I don't think there's as much separation between SMC and BYU/SD as people think, so I wouldn't put any money on them.

gonzagafan62
12-13-2017, 12:09 PM
1. Gonzaga
2. Saint Mary's
3. San Diego
4. BYU

thebigsmoove
12-13-2017, 01:37 PM

GCU joined the WCC this year? Had no idea. Looking forward to our matchups with Dan Majerle's squad. :roll:

Birddog
12-13-2017, 01:44 PM
I picked USD to finish 2nd. I think SMC either ties for 2nd or finishes 3rd and the BYUsters go crazy, apoplectic, nutso, etc. That would be an enjoyable show BTW.

kitzbuel
12-13-2017, 01:57 PM
GCU joined the WCC this year? Had no idea. Looking forward to our matchups with Dan Majerle's squad. :roll:

I'm going out on a limb, but I believe Jazz was referring to the size of the gap between the teams' finishing positions. There is a Grand Canyon sized gap between GU and the runner up. The gap between the runner up and the field becomes almost negligible in comparison.

kitzbuel
12-13-2017, 01:59 PM
I think at this stage of the season, I would bet the field.

MDABE80
12-13-2017, 02:06 PM
It would be amazing if USD actually moved ahead of SMC and BYU..........We have wild season coming up. Any of the top 4 could cause havoc. This high octane, high flying offense is kinda new to us. Risky offense. 3 pt shot could just die off. And here's where the defense comes in. Blow up the offense on any given night (this will happen) but the defense is always there to save the game.

zagdontzig
12-13-2017, 02:08 PM
With all their resources and built-in recruiting base, it's surprising that BYU isn't more competitive in the WCC. Is Rose on the hot seat at all?

p.s. I picked SMC. Boring pick, I know. But I don't think there's as much separation between SMC and BYU/SD as people think, so I wouldn't put any money on them.

I asked that exact same question on their board a few months back. The response was basically 1) frustration they can't leverage their international presence into recruits, and 2) between their football team crapping the bed and their being a serious lack of LDS coaches to pick from, they view Rose as doing well in keeping them in bubble contention. Remember they only have 1 Sweet 16 appearance since 1999, so they have a bit different standards and expectations.

RenoZag
12-13-2017, 04:43 PM
The Gaels, 2nd in the league, 2nd in the WCC tourney, 2nd in the NIT

gueastcoast
12-13-2017, 06:12 PM
I picked USD to finish 2nd. I think SMC either ties for 2nd or finishes 3rd and the BYUsters go crazy, apoplectic, nutso, etc. That would be an enjoyable show BTW.

I did too. No allegiance to the Toreros but let's mix it up a little.

ZagNation
12-13-2017, 09:48 PM
The plaque for second place is down in the ladies room.

Is that where Gonzaga put it? It seems unfair to the guys.

Ezag
12-13-2017, 11:27 PM
who cares?

ZagNation
12-13-2017, 11:49 PM
who cares?

Irishzag_09? Nobody cares about 2nd place. People will remember North Carolina as #1.

jazzdelmar
12-14-2017, 03:20 AM
I'm going out on a limb, but I believe Jazz was referring to the size of the gap between the teams' finishing positions. There is a Grand Canyon sized gap between GU and the runner up. The gap between the runner up and the field becomes almost negligible in comparison.

Thank you.

avid-zag-fan
12-14-2017, 05:09 AM
I'll vote with Kenpom
1- zags lose 2
2- smc 4
3-byu 6
4-sd 8
5-sf 10
6-lm 11
7-sc 11
8-pac 11
9-pep 14
10- port 14

ZagsGoZags
12-14-2017, 06:04 AM
on Kempom there is no gulf between zags and others
and no gulf between 5th and 6th place

irishzag_09
12-14-2017, 08:08 AM
Irishzag_09? Nobody cares about 2nd place. People will remember North Carolina as #1.

This was more for fun than anything else. I bet most of us on here can't name the starting five on any WCC team save SMC, BYU...sometimes conversations about irrelevant stuff needs to happen...and who knows...maybe this discussion becomes relevant if such a shakeup below us happens. Always nice to keep the forum apprised of the happenings around the league. Like the fact that USD has a good shot at being 12-3 or 13-2 heading into McKeon Pavilion to face Saint Mary's. Especially when our league is only a two or possible three-bid league MAX for the NCAA tournament, it would be crazy to see Gonzaga, SMC, San Diego or Gonzaga, San Diego, BYU.

TexasZagFan
12-14-2017, 08:30 AM
This was more for fun than anything else. I bet most of us on here can't name the starting five on any WCC team save SMC, BYU...sometimes conversations about irrelevant stuff needs to happen...and who knows...maybe this discussion becomes relevant if such a shakeup below us happens. Always nice to keep the forum apprised of the happenings around the league. Like the fact that USD has a good shot at being 12-3 or 13-2 heading into McKeon Pavilion to face Saint Mary's. Especially when our league is only a two or possible three-bid league MAX for the NCAA tournament, it would be crazy to see Gonzaga, SMC, San Diego or Gonzaga, San Diego, BYU.

My concern at this point has been the erratic wins and losses by top teams. If that continues into conference play, the mediocre Power 5 schools will be looked at more favorably by the committee, freezing out deserving schools from mid-majors. SMC should be worried, anyone else better win the WCC tournament. We'll be beastly come March.

stevet75
12-14-2017, 10:19 AM
SMC is a pretty experienced squad, so they shouldn't be improving as much as younger, less experienced teams as the season continues. In other words, they should be looking good right now. Losing to WSU is not what you would expect from a talented, experienced group. Therefore, I think they will finish third. Who finishes second? I don't know, but I don't think it will be BYU. Maybe San Diego.