PDA

View Full Version : Larsen Story

Zagdawg
12-11-2017, 03:36 PM
Gonzaga's Larsen stands tall through tragedy, adversity

"Gonzaga's Jacob Larsen has battled through adversity and dealt with unthinkable tragedy to get to where he is today. Now, as a redshirt freshman, the Zags' Danish big man is seizing his opportunities as he continues to grow in life and basketball."

http://www.swxrightnow.com/story/37043470/gonzagas-larsen-stands-tall-through-tragedy-adversity

kitzbuel
12-11-2017, 03:50 PM
I did not know he lost his brother. Really nice piece.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

raise the zag
12-11-2017, 03:59 PM
I did not know he lost his brother. Really nice piece.

I recently lost my only/older Brother this September, so this piece was nice to watch. I feel for Jacob. He's doing a tremendous job making the most of his mins. He has been fantastic as essentially a true freshman (out of bball activities for 8 months due to ACL tear).

He shares some moves with Karno, so you can tell he was an observational learner.

I don't even detect an accent, incredibly fluent.

Speaking of Larsen, good news re: last night's injury.

Yes, it was the same surgically repaired knee, yet he was not limping due to landing awkwardly, rather he bumped knees with a UW player. It was sore, but more contusion than internal.

As long as he stays healthy, builds some more strength, this kid has a very bright future here and beyond.

zagbeliever
12-11-2017, 04:01 PM
I was glad they had that interview. It's so nice to know more about the players' history and how they arrived at this point of their lives.

DixieZag
12-11-2017, 05:32 PM
I recently lost my only/older Brother this September, so this piece was nice to watch. I feel for Jacob. He's doing a tremendous job making the most of his mins. He has been fantastic as essentially a true freshman (out of bball activities for 8 months due to ACL tear).

He shares some moves with Karno, so you can tell he was an observational learner.

I don't even detect an accent, incredibly fluent.

Speaking of Larsen, good news re: last night's injury.

Yes, it was the same surgically repaired knee, yet he was not limping due to landing awkwardly, rather he bumped knees with a UW player. It was sore, but more contusion than internal.

As long as he stays healthy, builds some more strength, this kid has a very bright future here and beyond.

Very sorry about your loss. That must hurt.

Larsen impresses more and more.

Ekrub
12-11-2017, 06:46 PM
Have a really good feeling about Larsen. Injury derailed his redshirt. What's his wingspan?

MTZag03
12-11-2017, 06:51 PM
I can't watch the video due to ridiculous buffering issues. Any summaries?

JPtheBeasta
12-11-2017, 07:20 PM
I can't watch the video due to ridiculous buffering issues. Any summaries?

Larsen interview on the Mark Few Show, as well, if you have access to that.

He's a good kid and quickly becoming one of my favorites. A basic summary:
-Issues with pronouncing his name (Tommy Lloyd somewhat ironically calls his Jacob (hard j) in his portion of the piece.
-Larsen was disappointed because he was nursing an injury his redshirt year and wasn't able to practice/workout with the team and get better a
-He came to GU because of their success with Euro big men- not only on the court but also assimilating them into the classwork
-He lost his older brother (Rasmus?), whom he looked up to and who got him into basketball. His brother died unexpectedly of natural causes and was found in his apartment; he had a promising burgeoning pro career and was called the Danish Nowitski or something like that.

GrizZAG
12-11-2017, 08:06 PM
Touching stuff. He now has a band of brothers to bond with. He is developing quickly given the bumpy road and lack of high level experience. I love this guy and my heart goes out to him.

Zag Man
12-11-2017, 09:09 PM
Gonzaga's Larsen stands tall through tragedy, adversity

"Gonzaga's Jacob Larsen has battled through adversity and dealt with unthinkable tragedy to get to where he is today. Now, as a redshirt freshman, the Zags' Danish big man is seizing his opportunities as he continues to grow in life and basketball."

http://www.swxrightnow.com/story/37043470/gonzagas-larsen-stands-tall-through-tragedy-adversity

Thanks for sharing this. It's articles/videos like these shared by Zag fans on this website that I very much appreciate.

zagdontzig
12-11-2017, 11:24 PM
It's really hard to watch stuff like that. Glad he's so tough

LouisianaZag
12-12-2017, 11:48 AM
Yes, thanks so much for sharing. I have been a fan of his from the start. He graciously agreed to a photo with me at in Orlando last year. I have it framed and on display. Go Jacob!

Gonzagit
12-12-2017, 12:52 PM
This dude is going to be REALLY good in a year or 2. I totally agree with some of the opinions that I've seen that he's farther along than Karno was his freshman year. Karno ended being such a good player, and was at GU for so long, that it was easy to forget how he started. Larsen has done what he's done with limited practice time coming off an injury, and while still learning the American game. Really excited about this guy.

amaronizag
12-12-2017, 07:50 PM
I think the dude is going to be really good by the end of this season. He's giving us some really solid minutes right now.

CDC84
12-13-2017, 12:45 AM
Imagine how good he's going to be next season when he sheds even more of that baby fat. The kid has skill.