PDA

View Full Version : Feel-Good Moment with Wade and Coach Daniels at the UW game.

zagdontzig
12-11-2017, 09:25 AM
I was watching Gonzaga wrap up half-time shoot-around. Wade was last, laying the ball up a little too hard off the back board. He collected the ball and ran to the bench, and the next 5 were tearing off sweats and tucking in their jerseys. Coach Daniels pulled Wade back onto the floor, bent down, cupped Wades ear, and whispered something to him. Wade then look and Coach Daniels, laughed, grabbed a ball, put in a lay-up, and ran back to the bench.

Stuff like this assures me the the coaches are tending to, and cultivating him for a role in the rotation. I've always been a little worried that a combination of BYU regretting not having him, and his lack of PT early on may result in him transferring, but by all accounts, he is a gym rat with a Pangosesque work-ethic, and I think he will be a key piece as he develops.

Hoopaholic
12-11-2017, 10:10 AM
I was watching Gonzaga wrap up half-time shoot-around. Wade was last, laying the ball up a little too hard off the back board. He collected the ball and ran to the bench, and the next 5 were tearing off sweats and tucking in their jerseys. Coach Daniels pulled Wade back onto the floor, bent down, cupped Wades ear, and whispered something to him. Wade then look and Coach Daniels, laughed, grabbed a ball, put in a lay-up, and ran back to the bench.

Stuff like this assures me the the coaches are tending to, and cultivating him for a role in the rotation. I've always been a little worried that a combination of BYU regretting not having him, and his lack of PT early on may result in him transferring, but by all accounts, he is a gym rat with a Pangosesque work-ethic, and I think he will be a key piece as he develops.

Probably told him bad omen for team leave on missed ####

hooter73
12-11-2017, 10:38 AM
Injury might need time off to heal and the rust may need some game time to shake free from. Double edged sword. If he can get things kicking in the right direction we are going to be very, very lucky to have him here in another year or two.

zaguarxj
12-11-2017, 11:36 AM
Never end warm-ups with a miss. Never end free-throw practice with a miss. Simple psychology.

MDABE80
12-11-2017, 11:39 AM
He's been very active in the gym with the team. He IS the opposition. I hope he'll be alright. We could use him this year. he works hard. Great handles and a very good 3 pt shooter. sees the court well.....we could use that type of kid. One thing though, this years offense is unlike most in the past where the guys had traditional rolls with plays. It's a high flying offense nowadays full of ally oops, dunks, and fast paced game. If you watch the team from above, they rarely set up. They just go at it. Who's open and throw him the ball for a quick shot. Hardly methodical.....but we're winning. The style is just different.

rennis
12-11-2017, 11:40 AM
Never leave the gym until you've made a FT, a jumper, and three in succession.

Start over until you do.

Goshzagit
12-11-2017, 11:58 AM
He's been very active in the gym with the team. He IS the opposition. I hope he'll be alright. We could use him this year. he works hard. Great handles and a very good 3 pt shooter. sees the court well.....we could use that type of kid. One thing though, this years offense is unlike most in the past where the guys had traditional rolls with plays. It's a high flying offense nowadays full of ally oops, dunks, and fast paced game. If you watch the team from above, they rarely set up. They just go at it. Who's open and throw him the ball for a quick shot. Hardly methodical.....but we're winning. The style is just different.

Spot on.

Coach Few said the same in pre-season.

"this year will be different, more open game, more face-up probably, driving with our post guys..."

He warned us and has adapted. He becomes a better and better Coach as he hums along.

Really neat to see. This is no where near the same offense we are used to seeing. We rarely run full flex sets or plays anymore. For one or two guys, sure, but not half-court offense much.

It can work beautifully when we take care of the ball, but it can also become ugly or taken advantage of as seen vs Nova.

Villanova is the type of team you cannot simply match in transition. They invented the 4-guard fast pace transition offense. Nope. We needed a grind Gonzaga team of old to counter that type of style, with transition and pace mixed in.

I think we'll get better at this as the year progresses.

CDC84
12-11-2017, 12:44 PM
That speaks well for Coach Few that he adapts. So many coaches say: "I'm a man to man guy, and I run the flex. Deal with it." Doesn't matter what kinds of players he has. Does matter how much the team loses. That was part of the problem with Big John's kid at Georgetown. Why were they playing a form of the Princeton Offense with NBA caliber recruits?? It's called the Princeton offense for a reason. Not that you can't run some of those plays at times, but little John's teams would be 8 points down with a minute to go and have their center reversing the basketball at mid-court.

amaronizag
12-11-2017, 02:07 PM
The Flex Motion offense is complicated, it takes a whole lot of time for players to learn the system, and it takes patience to run the sets. The flex relies on player discipline and very precise timing of screens, passes, and cuts. It also relies on high IQ at reading the defensive reaction to each screen, but eventually the defense will break down and an open shot will be the result. GU's problem for several years was that we had gaping holes in our offense. We ran the Flex sets tirelessly until finally there was a wide open man, but the ball was in the hands of Sacre who was outside of his range, or Meech or Hart who couldn't/wouldn't/shouldn't shoot, so we continued running the sets until we had a different man open or a shot was thrown up in desperation as the time clock expired. We lost games because with that offense, we just couldn't generate enough shots to win. As I recall, it was in 2012, maybe 2013, that Few started breaking in a different offense, and by 2014 we started putting up enough shots to beat almost all comers. Gone are the days when Few stood on the sidelines with arms extended, palms of his hands pointed at the floor, pumping his arms up and down saying "slow it down, slow it down." This year I love seeing seeing him on the sidelines jumping up and down, doing a windmill with his arm, and yelling at the top of his lungs "RUN, RUN, RUN," like Roy Williams does. I never thought I would see the day, but now that it's here, I'm loving every minute of it!!! Today GU is playing faster, much more exciting, up tempo basketball and I'm a fan.

webspinnre
12-11-2017, 02:14 PM
That speaks well for Coach Few that he adapts. So many coaches say: "I'm a man to man guy, and I run the flex. Deal with it." Doesn't matter what kinds of players he has. Does matter how much the team loses. That was part of the problem with Big John's kid at Georgetown. Why were they playing a form of the Princeton Offense with NBA caliber recruits?? It's called the Princeton offense for a reason. Not that you can't run some of those plays at times, but little John's teams would be 8 points down with a minute to go and have their center reversing the basketball at mid-court.

I think this is actually one of the biggest changes in Coach Few's coaching over the last decade, that he has become much more flexible about what he runs. He clearly has his preferences, but he's also clearly run different systems with different personnel, particularly in recent years.

TacomaZAG
12-11-2017, 03:03 PM
I think this is actually one of the biggest changes in Coach Few's coaching over the last decade, that he has become much more flexible about what he runs. He clearly has his preferences, but he's also clearly run different systems with different personnel, particularly in recent years.

+1000

HUGE change/improvement/maturation for Coach Few. For way too long it seemed square peg/round hole with the players strength's vs. the coach's system. Not anymore. Great to see, fun to watch. Coach seems so much looser this year, having a lot more fun, even on the Coach Few show.

Maybe a FF will do that for a guy.............

Go ZAGS

Gonzagit
12-12-2017, 10:48 AM

Longtime reader and first time poster here, so this is probably a terrible topic to weigh-in on (I'm sure I'll get crushed by the frequent posters), but I think the chances of him playing against us for BYU in 2 years are greater than they are for him starting for GU. It's been kind of an odd start from the beginning, factoring in the mission and everything, but he also just hasn't impressed me at all on the court. He's obviously been injured, so that factors in, but he just doesn't look very fluid and smooth on the court. Kevin Pangos is an obvious comparison, but he was much smoother with the ball and more athletic in general.

hooter73
12-12-2017, 11:47 AM
Longtime reader and first time poster here, so this is probably a terrible topic to weigh-in on (I'm sure I'll get crushed by the frequent posters), but I think the chances of him playing against us for BYU in 2 years are greater than they are for him starting for GU. It's been kind of an odd start from the beginning, factoring in the mission and everything, but he also just hasn't impressed me at all on the court. He's obviously been injured, so that factors in, but he just doesn't look very fluid and smooth on the court. Kevin Pangos is an obvious comparison, but he was much smoother with the ball and more athletic in general.

no crushing, Im guessing its in the back of a lot of peoples minds but right now there isnt just too small of a sample size, there is no sample size. The final two minutes of a blow out generally means about three possessions and he's trying to be a team guy in those possessions instead of scoring. In a different thread I mentioned that at the end of the UW game I saw him pull himself back instead of looking to score as is his nature. He made two great passes that would have both been assists but the shots didnt fall. If he isnt getting 10+ mpg against the bottom league teams I'll be ready to accept what it is but right now theres just nothing to go on. He's going to need real game time to get back in the groove and then start to show what he can do. Right now against top 25 teams, yeah, Perkins is going to have 38 minutes. Just hope it doesnt scare Jesse away cause I know what he is capable of.

Gonzagit
12-12-2017, 12:36 PM
no crushing, Im guessing its in the back of a lot of peoples minds but right now there isnt just too small of a sample size, there is no sample size. The final two minutes of a blow out generally means about three possessions and he's trying to be a team guy in those possessions instead of scoring. In a different thread I mentioned that at the end of the UW game I saw him pull himself back instead of looking to score as is his nature. He made two great passes that would have both been assists but the shots didnt fall. If he isnt getting 10+ mpg against the bottom league teams I'll be ready to accept what it is but right now theres just nothing to go on. He's going to need real game time to get back in the groove and then start to show what he can do. Right now against top 25 teams, yeah, Perkins is going to have 38 minutes. Just hope it doesnt scare Jesse away cause I know what he is capable of.

Definitely agree about the sample size. My judgments are obviously based on what I've noticed in the small sample size you reference. It's just hard to get past the fact that he can't crack the rotation when we have a real need for a back-up PG. With the young shooters we have, a pipeline of seemingly much more athletic PGs (Ayayi, Foster) coming, and another year of Perkins, I just don't see how he suddenly gets more playing time if he can't crack the rotation now. Hopefully he just needs to get healthy.

sittingon50
12-12-2017, 12:38 PM
Hope he get's a lot of run in the next 2 games.

Rest Perkins shoulder.

hooter73
12-12-2017, 12:51 PM
Definitely agree about the sample size. My judgments are obviously based on what I've noticed in the small sample size you reference. It's just hard to get past the fact that he can't crack the rotation when we have a real need for a back-up PG. With the young shooters we have, a pipeline of seemingly much more athletic PGs (Ayayi, Foster) coming, and another year of Perkins, I just don't see how he suddenly gets more playing time if he can't crack the rotation now. Hopefully he just needs to get healthy.

thats my fear too. But just think if he does crack in, that means he's everything we know he can be and more

hooter73
12-12-2017, 12:57 PM
honestly i dont know if its Gonzaga that has grown past him to the extent that Pangos would be in the same boat if he were a freshman now or what, but the Wade coming out of high school was a opportunistic, cold blooded, scoring beast and a leader to boot. He was much more than holding his own against guys like Pargo and Bell on his visits here. I know thats still in his game.

Saxon_zag
12-12-2017, 01:13 PM

So you took the time to make your first post banishing Wade back to Utah because you just haven't seen it in his sporadic 40 garbage time minutes (half coming against incarnate word). Let the kid get his feet under him in some games first! I think his handle and BB IQ have looked good, has some nice dishes to Larsen that come to mind.

Gonzagit
12-12-2017, 01:30 PM
So you took the time to make your first post banishing Wade back to Utah because you just haven't seen it in his sporadic 40 garbage time minutes (half coming against incarnate word). Let the kid get his feet under him in some games first! I think his handle and BB IQ have looked good, has some nice dishes to Larsen that come to mind.

Banishing Wade back to Utah? What I said is obviously my opinion (it's a message boar) about what I could see happening. I wish the kid NOTHING but success. BUT - I've watched a lot of Gonzaga basketball over the years, and have seen this pattern before. I get the same feeling with Wade that I got with Meikle, Poling, Keita, etc.. Except those guys probably played more minutes on teams with less talent. I hope I'm completely wrong.

bartruff1
12-12-2017, 02:13 PM
Kevin is playing very well against much better competition ...I have no reason to think he wouldn't be playing here...he had a very solid freshman year....as a 18 year old....no comparison.

zagdontzig
12-12-2017, 02:38 PM
Banishing Wade back to Utah? What I said is obviously my opinion (it's a message boar) about what I could see happening. I wish the kid NOTHING but success. BUT - I've watched a lot of Gonzaga basketball over the years, and have seen this pattern before. I get the same feeling with Wade that I got with Meikle, Poling, Keita, etc.. Except those guys probably played more minutes on teams with less talent. I hope I'm completely wrong.

I think you're flat wrong. If he leaves, it won't be for wanting talent, development or work ethic. But if you watch him play, he's a skilled, system kid, has killer court vision, Stocktonesque passing ability,, and can play clutch. He's a Mark Few Zag. We just have to hope BYU doesn't guilt him into going back.

ZagsGoZags
12-12-2017, 02:42 PM

we could add Grant Gibbs to that and Spangler?
I hope this does not happen to Jesse, He is a zag in all respects, shooter, unselfish, team first, wants to find the open man, and make other players better. All he needs is PT.

TexasZagFan
12-12-2017, 02:54 PM
we could add Grant Gibbs to that and Spangler?
I hope this does not happen to Jesse, He is a zag in all respects, shooter, unselfish, team first, wants to find the open man, and make other players better. All he needs is PT.

No comparison to Spangler. Jesse married a beautiful young woman in August, and I doubt there's any homesickness since Jesse was on his mission in France for two years.

GrizZAG
12-12-2017, 07:25 PM
Wade so committed as a Zag. I think he wants to earn his place with a stellar program and will in time. He and us need to be patient with the transition. He's a winner.

Pleasant Peninsula
12-12-2017, 08:12 PM
Haha. I also wish the best for JW and hope he becomes a contributor, but comparing him to KP? Wondering if there would be minutes for KP if he were a freshman now? OMG. I wish we had freshman Pangos on this year's team! That's exactly the player this team needs, and doesn't have ... whether Wade is healthy or not.

zagdontzig
12-12-2017, 09:14 PM
Haha. I also wish the best for JW and hope he becomes a contributor, but comparing him to KP? Wondering if there would be minutes for KP if he were a freshman now? OMG. I wish we had freshman Pangos on this year's team! That's exactly the player this team needs, and doesn't have ... whether Wade is healthy or not.

I honestly believe he's as good and has potential to be better than KP. Not to mention, Wade has 2" in KP

zagsfanforlife
12-12-2017, 10:10 PM
I honestly believe he's as good and has potential to be better than KP. Not to mention, Wade has 2" in KP

the numbers can list him as whatever they do, but i dont think theres any chance Wade is 2 inches taller than KP. Wade looks about 5'10 out there honestly... i dont think KP was 5'8

zagdontzig
12-12-2017, 11:18 PM
the numbers can list him as whatever they do, but i dont think theres any chance Wade is 2 inches taller than KP. Wade looks about 5'10 out there honestly... i dont think KP was 5'8

I agree the listed heights are useless, but I've met both and can tell you KP is shorter than I am, slightly, and JW is taller than I am, slightly.

Birddog
12-13-2017, 04:03 AM
I agree the listed heights are useless, but I've met both and can tell you KP is shorter than I am, slightly, and JW is taller than I am, slightly.

and you are how tall? barefoot of course.

zagdontzig
12-13-2017, 06:37 AM
and you are how tall? barefoot of course.

I'm exactly 5'10.75", without shoes. I'd peg Pangos at 5'10" and Wade a little under 6'2". For kicks, I'd also peg David Stockton at 5'9". Met him in the COG one time.

Birddog
12-13-2017, 07:17 AM
I'm exactly 5'10.75", without shoes. I'd peg Pangos at 5'10" and Wade a little under 6'2". For kicks, I'd also peg David Stockton at 5'9". Met him in the COG one time.

Thanks, you are our standard bearer and benchmark by which we measure.