PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs UW postgame thoughts & analysis

GonzagasaurusFlex
12-11-2017, 08:38 AM
Anyone else miss the traditional postgame thread? Again, not trying to steal Rebornís thunder but itís noon here in GA and my lunchtime reading thread is still nowhere to be found:

Iím thrilled to see JWIII have a great game and remark afterwards that he got back to just having fun and playing instead of worrying. He did a much better job of making good passes rather than forcing up bad shots.

Much has been made of how many shots Norvell takes and his suspect D, but Iím starting to appreciate how crafty he is with his head fakes and subtleties that free him up despite less than stellar athleticism. He is hustling a lot more imho and Iím enjoying the process with him.

It appeared at times Larsen was limping on his surgically repaired knee..or maybe just knee brace discomfort? Iíd really like to see him play a bit more. Loved seeing Melson take and make the quality shots that the game presented for him. He is playing best ball of his career. Tillie still seems to sort of disappear for stretches.

Great game and gameplan execution!

ZagOD7540
12-11-2017, 08:43 AM
I noticed Larson limping also. Hopefully he didn’t tweek that right knee. Sure love the way that kid hustles. He works really hard out on the floor. Gonna get better and better with more minutes

Zags11
12-11-2017, 08:43 AM
I was the first to create a post game thread titled "my thoughts" and people caused issue so I stopped doing it. (My thoughts were for each individual) Then reborn created the next post game thread we have now.

This board has changed. Threads get locked quicker now, people low star threads,etc. A lot of great ppl stopped posting here due to fellow posters and these issues.

Back to the game. Zags whipped their butt. In all facets. It was a awesome back bounce game after the msg performance.

Bogozags
12-11-2017, 08:55 AM
I noticed Larson limping also. Hopefully he didnít tweek that right knee. Sure love the way that kid hustles. He works really hard out on the floor. Gonna get better and better with more minutes

Just my opinion but I think JL has a better game as a frosh after 10 games than PK...much more comfortable using both hands...more of an intimidator and rebounds out of his area...if he can stay healthy, he'll have a tremendous impact over the next two-three years...

ZagOD7540
12-11-2017, 08:56 AM
Just my opinion but I think JL has a better game as a frosh after 10 games than PK...much more comfortable using both hands...

I agree

zagdontzig
12-11-2017, 09:00 AM
Just my opinion but I think JL has a better game as a frosh after 10 games than PK...much more comfortable using both hands...

That's easily true. PK couldn't stay on his feet anytime he got bumped.

jazzdelmar
12-11-2017, 09:03 AM
Just my opinion but I think JL has a better game as a frosh after 10 games than PK...much more comfortable using both hands...more of an intimidator and rebounds out of his area...if he can stay healthy, he'll have a tremendous impact over the next two-three years...

Careful, that's heresy.

john montana
12-11-2017, 09:04 AM
Larsen is the fantastic at icing screens.

Birddog
12-11-2017, 10:10 AM
I don't really care who starts the thread. I listened to Hudson and Ammo because of the @#$%^&* Pac12 Nutworks. It was quite refreshing and they do a good job of painting the picture. I especially enjoyed it when Ammo would cite a defensive breakdown on the part of the Zags. Also his missing a FT on purpose story. I had not heard a Zags radio broadcast in a long time, I linked it through IMG Sports.

seacatfan
12-11-2017, 10:15 AM
Larsen has been better than I expected so far this year, but last night was not his night. Picked up fouls early and often, didn't produce much while he was on the floor. It's been true before, but I think this year especially is going to vary game to game as far as which Zags lead the way or have big games. Some posters were really down on JWIII after the Villanova game, look how he responded last night. Sometimes it's about matchups, sometimes it's probably just random. Anyway it's nice to have some depth and some different options on the team that Coach Few can turn to. I'm sure Larsen will have another big game again before long.

TexasZagFan
12-11-2017, 10:17 AM
I was the first to create a post game thread titled "my thoughts" and people caused issue so I stopped doing it. (My thoughts were for each individual) Then reborn created the next post game thread we have now.

This board has changed. Threads get locked quicker now, people low star threads,etc. A lot of great ppl stopped posting here due to fellow posters and these issues.

Back to the game. Zags whipped their butt. In all facets. It was a awesome back bounce game after the msg performance.

Should've been around when the OCC was alive. :lmao:

TexasZagFan
12-11-2017, 10:18 AM
Careful, that's heresy.

Not really, if you've noticed how Larsen and Tillie communicate telepathically with JL at the FT line, finding Tillie for an easy hoop.

Goshzagit
12-11-2017, 10:26 AM
Larsen has been better than I expected so far this year, but last night was not his night. Picked up fouls early and often, didn't produce much while he was on the floor. It's been true before, but I think this year especially is going to vary game to game as far as which Zags lead the way or have big games. Some posters were really down on JWIII after the Villanova game, look how he responded last night. Sometimes it's about matchups, sometimes it's probably just random. Anyway it's nice to have some depth and some different options on the team that Coach Few can turn to. I'm sure Larsen will have another big game again before long.

He also got injured early.

He did something to his surgically repaired knee. After fixing his brace, limping, and grimacing, he played through it, yet was clearly a step slower and less elevation on his jumps.

He even missed a dunk following the injury.

Something to keep an eye on...esp given his history with the same knee.

Bulldoginseattle
12-11-2017, 10:28 AM

Agree 100%. I was talking about this with a friend after the game - once he cleans up a bit and gets used to the "because big" fouls, he's going to be an amazing player. I don't think he'll be as prolific of a scorer as PK was, but man... he's stronger, more athletic and has a better jump shot than PK did at this point. Going to be a special player as long as he continues his trajectory and stays healthy.

Really impressed with the overall communication of the team on the defensive end, and seeing the turnovers get reigned in was huge. The "Jekyll and Hyde" aspect of this team has me worried a bit - you never know if you're going to get the turnover-prone, disorganized and streaky Gonzaga that looks like they won't get out of the first weekend, or the team that came to play against UW - crisp passing, loose, great communication on D (mostly)... So much of it seems to be if J3 can stay focused down low, and Perkins can stay focused up top. We need both of them coming to play if we want to really succeed.

On a side note - what a difference a change in coaching makes for UW. Hopkins is going to take that team far in a few years if he can keep the recruiting up. Would love to see a real rivalry going here.

Reborn
12-11-2017, 05:32 PM
I won't be posting this thread any more. It's just not worth the effort any longer. I am grateful that you have enjoyed the thread, and I know you have. Thanks.

I tried to listen to the game last night on the radio and I had a hard time hearing what the announcers were saying, The noise from the fans was SOOOOO loud. I thought Morrison did a fantastic job. He's great, I hope ROOT or ESPN hires him. He has a great voice, and a little ego for someone who was such a great basketball player. He is so much better than all three of the announcers on ROOT.

In terms of the game, it sounded like JW3 had a great game. I'm really glad he did. The Zags need him to play that way. It sounded to me like Kispert's injury still bothers him a lot. I hope it fully recovers soon. He's such a great player. I miss him. The Zags need him too. That was so obvious in the 'Nova game. I missed seeing Melson play. You can't appreciate his game if you're not watching it. He's such a great defender, and you can't see that when you're listening on the radio. It's really hard to appreciate what's going on. It sounds to me now after reading the posts that Rui played good. I did not get that feeling from listening to the noise-filled radio. I love how Melson plays.I would have liked to have seen him stop that freshman guard for the UW. I guess he's pretty good.

I'm so happy that the Zags crushed the dogs. Wish I could have seen it. I bet it was beautiful. I heard that there were about 1,500 fans there. That's just so cool. Glad to see the love for this team, and they really do deserve it. I was worried about the Huskies after they beat Kansas at Kansas. Those worries disappeared half-way through the first half. Maybe I'll go and watch the game on You-tube. The season is going by so fast, There are only 3 more OOC games.

Zagcity
12-11-2017, 08:04 PM
I won't be posting this thread any more. It's just not worth the effort any longer.

Sorry to hear that...

Reborn
12-12-2017, 06:28 AM
thanks....Hopefully someone will take over because I do feel it's a good thread. Look what LIZF has done with the game prediction thread.

TexasZagFan
12-12-2017, 07:28 AM
I won't be posting this thread any more. It's just not worth the effort any longer. I am grateful that you have enjoyed the thread, and I know you have. Thanks.

I tried to listen to the game last night on the radio and I had a hard time hearing what the announcers were saying, The noise from the fans was SOOOOO loud. I thought Morrison did a fantastic job. He's great, I hope ROOT or ESPN hires him. He has a great voice, and a little ego for someone who was such a great basketball player. He is so much better than all three of the announcers on ROOT.

In terms of the game, it sounded like JW3 had a great game. I'm really glad he did. The Zags need him to play that way. It sounded to me like Kispert's injury still bothers him a lot. I hope it fully recovers soon. He's such a great player. I miss him. The Zags need him too. That was so obvious in the 'Nova game. I missed seeing Melson play. You can't appreciate his game if you're not watching it. He's such a great defender, and you can't see that when you're listening on the radio. It's really hard to appreciate what's going on. It sounds to me now after reading the posts that Rui played good. I did not get that feeling from listening to the noise-filled radio. I love how Melson plays.I would have liked to have seen him stop that freshman guard for the UW. I guess he's pretty good.

I'm so happy that the Zags crushed the dogs. Wish I could have seen it. I bet it was beautiful. I heard that there were about 1,500 fans there. That's just so cool. Glad to see the love for this team, and they really do deserve it. I was worried about the Huskies after they beat Kansas at Kansas. Those worries disappeared half-way through the first half. Maybe I'll go and watch the game on You-tube. The season is going by so fast, There are only 3 more OOC games.

If you have UVerse, they're replaying last year's game on Friday.

SeaTown Zag
12-12-2017, 09:09 AM
Was anyone else surprised to see Wade play on Sunday? I thought that since he is Mormon he wouldn't have been able to.

bartruff1
12-12-2017, 09:23 AM
No..... hundreds of Mormons have competed on Sundays..... most notably in the NFL( Steve Young, Ty Detmer, Jim McMahon for example) ....... and on the PGA....If you don't compete on Sunday in the PGA you don't cash a check....perhaps the most famous Mormon golfers were Billy Casper and Johnny Miller...

Zagceo
12-13-2017, 07:05 AM
It seemed as if Gonzaga fed off the energy generated from the crowd while the Huskies never seemed comfortable in their building.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-basketball/postgame-recap-takeaways-from-washingtons-97-70-loss-to-no-12-gonzaga/

gonzagafan62
12-13-2017, 07:17 AM
Was anyone else surprised to see Wade play on Sunday? I thought that since he is Mormon he wouldn't have been able to.

Only if you're at a Mormon school